Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FogHelmut posted:

I can't do it. I can't. I can't say "this poo poo is so bad its hilarious." I've been watching this channel since Beyond 2000. I've been watching this channel since Shark Week 1989. I can't do it. The Discovery Channel used to be a place of learning, of science. I could see the current knowledge, the future expectations. I grew up with this. The explosion of the early 2000s, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs. Pure science and knowledge for the masses. I can't do it. I can't support such a blatant act of poorly researched fiction. This is worse than gliding post apocalyptic skyscraper cats. Michio Kaku aside, I can't do it.

Do you know Amish Mafia is made by the majority of the people who were behind Jersey Shore?

It's really stupid television. And the only thing I'm looking forward to is the North America series done by the Planet Earth/Blue Planet people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Dual Survival is back tonight with a new guy replacing Dave. It's exactly the same show, they just gave Dave's lines to a new military guy. "Don't do that, it's dumb!", etc.. Though Joe's rant about wanting to drink his own pee was a bit hilarious. Especially when they do that bit after the last commercial break and then find rescue 5 minutes later.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

WendigoJohnson posted:

And the only thing I'm looking forward to is the North America series done by the Planet Earth/Blue Planet people.
As I type the BBC have just started to show the latest BBC*/Discovery co-production; Africa.

* the real people behind Blue Planet/Planet Earth/Frozen planet/etc being the BBC Natural History Unit. How much Discovery contribute beyond production cash and and a new voiceover I've not seen confirmed.

So far Africa features an amazing giraffe fight, and some comical baby ostriches.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Teek posted:

Dual Survival is back tonight with a new guy replacing Dave. It's exactly the same show, they just gave Dave's lines to a new military guy. "Don't do that, it's dumb!", etc.. Though Joe's rant about wanting to drink his own pee was a bit hilarious. Especially when they do that bit after the last commercial break and then find rescue 5 minutes later.

New Guy: I'm getting really dehydrated out here. I'm going to drink some of my piss.
Cody: You realize that actually dehydrates you?
New Guy: Of course I know it dehydrates you. I'm not doing this to hydrate myself. I'm doing it to give myself a mental boost.
Cody: :geno:
New Guy: *drinks his own piss*

The new guy is even more of a psychotic douchebag than Dave was. I was watching the season preview episode, and he stabs a boar to death and than looks all around like a crazy person while crouched over his kill.

I still like the show though.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 7, 2013

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
'Whale Wars' TV star-activist resigns after court injunction

I am kinda sorta disappointed because that may mean no Paul Watson on Whale Wars, but then again I don't think he'll actually comply with the ruling and will be on the boats this season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

New Guy: I'm getting really dehydrated out here. I'm going to drink some of my piss.
Cody: You realize that actually dehydrates you?
New Guy: Of course I know it dehydrates you. I'm not doing this to hydrate myself. I'm doing it to give myself a mental boost.
New Guy: *drinks his own piss*

The new guy is even more of a psychotic douchebag than Dave was. I was watching the season preview episode, and he stabs a boar to death and than looks all around like a crazy person while crouched over his kill.

I still like the show though.

re: piss - he's just showing off, first season, it'll pass. Joe could have jogged out of that desert without stopping, he doesn't need to drink piss, build fires or any of that poo poo. The boar kill looks crazy until you realize Joe has probably done the same thing to quite a few people. Watch carefully, he secures the kill and assumes a ready posture, low silhouette, low center of gravity, while checking his surroundings for additional threats. It looks crazy because our caveman brains understand while our 'civilized' brains reject it.

I like the new guy. He comes off obnoxiously a few times but in the preseason, behind the scenes show he comes off as a pretty likable guy.

Same day the new episode aired, Dave Canterbury posted something about when doors close, new doors open. Last summer he posted something about having a new show on the Outdoor Channel with Myke Hawk but I haven't heard anymore about it. It's too bad he lied to get the job, I kinda liked him. Just a good 'ol Ohio boy.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Fire Storm posted:

I am kinda sorta disappointed because that may mean no Paul Watson on Whale Wars, but then again I don't think he'll actually comply with the ruling and will be on the boats this season.

I am hoping the crew operates normally without him. They would have more success.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I like the new guy too. I get the impression they edit out 90 percent of Cody bitching him out though. Lots of awkward edits during their debates, and in one conversation Cody starts apologizing for going off -- which they edited out but I want to see. The second ep where they find the African poacher stuff was pretty infuriating. Jesus those loving nail traps.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fire Storm posted:

The story gets a lot more bizarre now. Retired senator and ex-leader of the Australian Green Party Bob Brown is going to take over.

To put this into perspective, Brown was himself a radical activist when he was young but moved into politics to effect change. Over the 16 years he spent in parliament he took the Greens from a fringe party to a (mostly) respected and viable political alternative at both state and federal levels.

Now he's going to lead this pack of chucklefucks in violent action against Japanese citizens and the stench of the Sea Shepherds is going to wash all over the Greens and will cost them votes in the next election.

Brown may have left the party, but it won't be hard for all the other parties to start trying to make the Greens look like crazy people with radical agenda.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fire Storm posted:

I doubt it. Watson is pretty crazy, but without the backing of governments or large NGOs he's pretty much a coward (hence why he goes after small isolated groups of sealers or small fleets of whalers in international waters, then runs away if anybody comes after him).

I'm curious to see whether the involvement of Brown will bring legitimacy to the Sea Shepherds or de-legitimize the Australian Green Party.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 10, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Captain Dumbass posted:

"As a United States citizen, I will respect and comply with the ruling of the United States 9th District Court and will not violate the temporary injunction granted to the Institute for Cetacean Research," Watson said in a statement Tuesday. "I will participate as an observer within the boundaries established by the 9th Circuit Court of the United States."

Basically it sounds like he'll do what he's always done, hang out in his office on the boat and be a media whore when it suits him. The only difference is [maybe] the Sea Shepherds won't get ordered into ice fields their boats aren't rated for or have the helicopter ordered to fly further than it has fuel for and other such grossly negligent captaining decisions, but that's assuming the new captains aren't equally incompetent as Watson. If First Mate Pubestache gets promoted I don't know that things will be much better; that dude has been full time employed by SSCS for a few years now, unlike most of their stooges.

SSCS is too much of a cult of personality to actually exist without Watson - this is basically a change in name only.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 10, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hazo posted:

I doubt it. Watson is pretty crazy, but without the backing of governments or large NGOs he's pretty much a coward (hence why he goes after small isolated groups of sealers or small fleets of whalers in international waters, then runs away if anybody comes after him).

Except no one came after him, they were sitting in port waiting for Watson to turn himself in. I have no dog in the fight, I don't like either Watson or the whalers and I stopped watching Whale Wars because it's boring but to portray the guy as a coward is a silly characterization.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Whoops, skimmed over that part. Yeah, that really does sound like him saying, "I'm still going to be out there, but I'll be off-camera more than usual wink wink."

It'll be interesting to see who takes over the Irwin. Bob Brown seems like kind of a cool guy, but he has exactly the same captain credentials as Watson (i.e., none). Pubestache/Hammarstedt is captain of the Barker, so they could bump him up to the flagship and stick someone else in the Barker.

I wasn't going to start a new Whale Wars thread until later but if there's enough interest (and this news is big enough) I could throw one together in the next few days.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hazo posted:

Whoops, skimmed over that part. Yeah, that really does sound like him saying, "I'm still going to be out there, but I'll be off-camera more than usual wink wink."

It'll be interesting to see who takes over the Irwin. Bob Brown seems like kind of a cool guy, but he has exactly the same captain credentials as Watson (i.e., none). Pubestache/Hammarstedt is captain of the Barker, so they could bump him up to the flagship and stick someone else in the Barker.

What about the guy who is captaining the Ady Gil? It's been a long time since I watched the show, so I don't remember the guy's name.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
They looked more competent without him rather than with him running the show.

It would be interesting to see them run a season without him as their tactics are pretty pedestrian.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Supreme Allah posted:

I like the new guy too. I get the impression they edit out 90 percent of Cody bitching him out though. Lots of awkward edits during their debates, and in one conversation Cody starts apologizing for going off -- which they edited out but I want to see. The second ep where they find the African poacher stuff was pretty infuriating. Jesus those loving nail traps.

The end of the episode was hilarious.

"Uh, sir?"

"OH!"

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
I'm finally getting to watch some of the new shows I've missed. I just had to say that Amish Mafia is hilarious. The guy running around on his scooter, just drat.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Supreme Allah posted:

I would hope that they wouldn't have to edit out arguments. I'm no wilderness survival expert, but it seems like arguing and fighting would be exactly what you wouldn't want to be doing in a survival scenario.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Karthillion posted:

I'm finally getting to watch some of the new shows I've missed. I just had to say that Amish Mafia is hilarious. The guy running around on his scooter, just drat.

I've never seen anything as ridiculous as Amish Mafia attempted to be passed off as based in reality.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

JohnSherman posted:

I would hope that they wouldn't have to edit out arguments. I'm no wilderness survival expert, but it seems like arguing and fighting would be exactly what you wouldn't want to be doing in a survival scenario.

That's exactly what this show was in the first season, Cody and Dave were constantly arguing and disagreeing. Like all the time. They would get to a stream and start fighting about how to drink the water (this literally happened, and more than once).

It's much more realistic to show that groups of two or more are going to have disagreements, because it is definitely going to happen.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

IRQ posted:

I've never seen anything as ridiculous as Amish Mafia attempted to be passed off as based in reality.

The Amish midget seals the deal.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dual Survival is great.

A barefoot hippie clubbing a fish to death with a giraffe bone. :allears:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In the latest episode of Dual Survival we learn Cody has no problem with eating human flesh if it came down to it.
Also lots of beaver jokes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So when is Mythbusters supposed to be coming back anyway?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

In the latest episode of Dual Survival we learn Cody has no problem with eating human flesh if it came down to it.
Also lots of beaver jokes.
That beaver was incredible.

And now the season is over. :smith:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

muscles like this? posted:

They should fire the B team or at least the guys and hire Chris Hackett.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Rhino War's premier looks interesting. I hope it has more potential than Whale Wars.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

I want them to do more survival crossovers. Duct Tape Island was just the best. Jamie was about to cry when he killed that little fish.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Everyone's favorite crabby captains will be back for a new season April 16th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dT_ZpIEQic

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Elliot is on a new boat?

Looks like a lot of injuries and a few scraps this year.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ToastyPotato posted:

Elliot is on a new boat?

Looks like a lot of injuries and a few scraps this year.

Oh Christ, Elliot is back. I wonder what idiot decided to hire that crapbag. Well, he only ran the Ramblin' Rose into the ground, he can only go up from here, right? Also, I take it from that preview that Josh has a boat now? And is it the Cornelia? That will be interesting. Hopefully he had the foresight not to include his brother, but I doubt it.

And as long as I'm posting in the Discovery Channel thread, does anybody else watch Fast 'n Loud? I have to admit that I like this show, in a guilty pleasure way. Aaron seems like a cool dude, and Richard is entertaining even if he is kind of a smug rear end in a top hat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Jesus gently caress, Elliot is back? WHY?! Who's stupid enough to actually work with him?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Looks like Keith breaks more greenhorns this year too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
My guess is that Elliot is still under contract with Discovery, so the network paid for him to get the chair on a new boat.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Elliot is going on mute this year. Not watching his garbage.

And yeah, Josh is running the Cornelia. I hope for his sake that he keeps his brother far, far away from it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

How did they convince the Cornelia's owner to let the ship back out of port? I thought last I heard that the owner didn't want anything else to do with it or the show.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

iastudent posted:

How did they convince the Cornelia's owner to let the ship back out of port? I thought last I heard that the owner didn't want anything else to do with it or the show.

:10bux: talks when your ship is just sitting there collecting barnacles in port. I'm sure selling your share of the quota to another boat every season is less profitable than the actual catch.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize Josh was running a boat, much less the CM. I.. I don't know if he is ready? That is a huge boat isn't it? Good luck to him. It is going to be interesting to see if or how his brother plays into things at all given the way things were last year.

Also looks like the other Jake gets into another scuffle with the one guy on the NW who always ends up fighting with him?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize Josh was running a boat, much less the CM. I.. I don't know if he is ready? That is a huge boat isn't it? Good luck to him. It is going to be interesting to see if or how his brother plays into things at all given the way things were last year.

Also looks like the other Jake gets into another scuffle with the one guy on the NW who always ends up fighting with him?

I remember him saying something like he is the youngest captain and boat owner in the Bering Sea. That answers iastudent's question about the previous owner. And I don't think he is ready, but I sure am rooting for him. Josh has always been one of my favorites.

edit: Just re-watched it, and it's confirmed. Josh says he owns his boat and is the captain. But I haven't seen anything about it actually being the C.M. And I think I tuned Elliot out the first time I watched this video, but on second view he says "I think being 30 years old and owning a boat is proof enough that I know what I'm doing." So ELLIOT, of all the people in the Bering Sea, owns a loving boat now too. I wonder how big of a hand the producers had in that. I can't wait for this trainwreck, or rather, shipwreck.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I know Discovery has essentially given up, but "Monsters and Mysteries in America" is just something so far beyond :effort:

"I personally shot, killed, and handled two bigfoots... I buried them and never went back because... uh... just because."

• Locked thread