Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Colonial Air Force posted:

Except it looks weird on the bottom.

Very, very few sets are designed to look right from the bottom, and the ones that are don't show weird colors. They clearly weren't going for "this is what the underside of the car looks like" with that design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Spoiler alert, it's to add contrast to certain areas to ease construction.

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 9, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

PriorMarcus posted:

I think it helps with the instructions and saves on cost if they already have that piece being produced in quantity.

I don't know if its a cost thing, I have seen sets which include one off color inner piece of a shape that is already used in the rest in a normal color, which makes it more expensive to pack.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Any feedback on The Hobbit sets? I am not a fan of them since they seem so "static" and basically just panoramas rather than fun, playable things (like Helms Deep) but are they actually pretty good to build and good to have once built?

I don't know if I should skip them and wait for the second wave of LOTR sets.

Also, apart from the Horizon Express (which looks amazing) any news of new full trainsets coming soon? It's either that or scalectrix for my son.

vvvvvvvvvvv
Thanks! (I did always like the Bag End one - I was thinking of at least getting that).

Wank fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 10, 2013

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Bag End is easily the best of the sets I've built.
It's a great build and quite stunning. Very detailed and has few good techniques. I'm not eaxactly sure what you mean by 'playable', though.

Others I've built:
Riddles in the Dark. As the smallest set, it's not really much to talk about. A little rocky wall with a few moving parts, and Gollum's boat is just a boat with skeleton parts on it. Un-impressive on it's own. Compared to Gandlf's cart it doesn't stack up.

Spider attack in Mirkwood: A good use of alternate aesthetics for trees. It really has the right atmosphere. The spiders are neat. Mini-shelobs. The main tree has a breaking function in it. The techniques weren't too impressive for this one. Maybe the spiders a little. It looks good, but I could see this as having 'playability'. You can play with the dwarves, spiders and elves. Capture and rscue and all that.

Warg Attack: The tree and rocky outsrops are good building. The tree especially. It rotates in sections. There's a catapult and flick missiles in it. At least these ones sort of make sense considering. I like the look of this set a lot. The tree is impressive.

Yet to build:
Golbin King: It looks like it will be interesting, but it is not as visually appealing to me as the LOTR sets.
Barrel Escape: This one seems rather stats, but it will look pretty neat when it's done.

Compared to LOTR. The LOTR sets are visually better for me, except for Bag End which tops everything. But for me, the sets just sort of sit on my shelf and I don't play with them (as playsets or rebuildable bricks). I may occaisonally possition the minifigs as a vignette. For instance I have shelob on top of my bookshelf, with her web dangling down to the sheld with the LOTR sets, and Frodo is dangling off the end of her web while Sam tries to save him.
Building wise, I was much more impressed with the LOTR sets too.

I think the videos on the lego site do well to cover the sets. http://thehobbit.lego.com/en-us/videos/riddles-for-the-ring/

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Minecraft back in stock at amazon for the moment if you missed it. Reseller market should die down soon, but nice if you wanted one and couldn't get it earlier.

Definitely agree that Bag End is excellent. Other Hobbit sets really don't do anything for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No it's not back in stock, that's from resellers charging sixty bucks a pop.

Unless it was back in stock for like an hour, and someone bought them all up.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Captain Invictus posted:

No it's not back in stock, that's from resellers charging sixty bucks a pop.

Unless it was back in stock for like an hour, and someone bought them all up.

According to some LEGO blogs it was in stock at some point on the 9th. Now it's just resellers.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Its listed as instock on lego.com for the US. I hope lego never ends production and drives speculators mad.

http://search2.lego.com/?q=minecraft&lang=2057 Has an overview of all countries.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ika posted:

Its listed as instock on lego.com for the US. I hope lego never ends production and drives speculators mad.

http://search2.lego.com/?q=minecraft&lang=2057 Has an overview of all countries.

When I check it, it says the US one is sold out. Are you confusing the Australian one(first result, $49.99) for the US one?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think the site is just acting up, its now showing the region as USA but the prices in euros. Even if it is out of stock in the US, there still are plenty left.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

Those are all fantastic, but this is my favourite:

Thanks, I love those constructions, because they're impossible for me to build with their crazy part counts.
That setup was built out of these parts:

Here's the .lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=429EB3671

They nicely fit into the LEGO town house grid. I have a few more "parts" in the works for that diorama type stuff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Intoxication posted:

Thanks, I love those constructions, because they're impossible for me to build with their crazy part counts.
That setup was built out of these parts:

Here's the .lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=429EB3671

They nicely fit into the LEGO town house grid. I have a few more "parts" in the works for that diorama type stuff.

Cool, thanks I'll take look. What did you base it on out of interest?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't think I know enough about Minecraft to really appreciate this model. A very tedious build with tons of 1x1 pieces but I do like the end result

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

smackfu posted:

I don't think I know enough about Minecraft to really appreciate this model. A very tedious build with tons of 1x1 pieces but I do like the end result

It's kind of a crap thing when compared to Minecraft-- people were hoping for like 4x4 pieces to play with instead of the 1x1 weird mini-scale I think.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I thought you train nerds might like this

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sair posted:

That owns.

I need to know how to make this, or someone needs to get it done on Cuuso.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So my local target had 9675 Sebulba's Pod Racer and Tatooine on clearance and I bought a lot of them because it was loving 50% off. Now I am stuck with 6 extra sebulba figs I do not want (anyone want to buy them? I might put them in SA mart soon) and 6 extra planets. Shipping the planets is too much to make it worth trying to sell them, but if I can remove the print the planet pieces would make nice orangish brown spheres.

I saw on youtube what sounded like a 13 year old kid using brasso to remove print (and comments bitching "OMG that is such a rare piece!"), but he was also saying he had to wear gloves or else the brasso would gently caress up your skin. I tried using the only substance I have available at home, bar keeper's friend stainless steel polish. BKF worked great for a few 1x1 pieces with eyeballs, but I spent about 30 min working on the sphere and am only about 30% done. . . With 1 half of sphere. Is there a faster way to remove print?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

With Brasso you can smear it over the piece and let it sit for a while and then it rubs off easier. I don't have any experience with what you're using but it might be worth a try.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Colonel Sanders posted:

Is there a faster way to remove print?

The mr clean magic eraser can work pretty good but I don't know if it is any faster than the brasso method.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sair posted:

Oh wow, that katana on the bottom of the wheels... :allears:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Travis343 posted:

With Brasso you can smear it over the piece and let it sit for a while and then it rubs off easier. I don't have any experience with what you're using but it might be worth a try.

Alright, I will buy some brasso. How long is a while? Will it gently caress up the piece if left on too long, and do i really need gloves?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Colonel Sanders posted:

Alright, I will buy some brasso. How long is a while? Will it gently caress up the piece if left on too long, and do i really need gloves?

I've never really needed gloves with Brasso. You probably shouldn't leave it on your hands for hours or anything. I'd have to read the bottle to be sure, but it's never really seemed like a huge deal to me. I usually let Brasso sit for fifteen minutes or so but then I have a really short attention span and end up losing patience and just rubbing it off anyway.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sair posted:

I love this so much, good find.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone have MOC city architecture in scale with say, the Empire State Building, Chicago Tower, and what not? I need some inspiration and Google has failed me for the most part.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

Anyone have MOC city architecture in scale with say, the Empire State Building, Chicago Tower, and what not?

Isn't the Micropolis Standard about the right scale?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

Anyone have MOC city architecture in scale with say, the Empire State Building, Chicago Tower, and what not? I need some inspiration and Google has failed me for the most part.

Eurobricks did an architecture style MOC contest last year.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68379

I see a Chrysler building modeled after the Lego sets and a ton of other great models that might not be in the right scale though.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

7thBatallion posted:

Paul's stuff is pretty good:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickville/

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Minecraft CUSUU is avaliable at J!NX still. http://www.jinx.com/p/lego_minecraft_micro_world.html

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I screwed up my parts count for my latest bricklink order and now I am short (2) 1x3 red bricks, I am completely out in my personal collection. Is there any chance a fellow Lego goon might be able to hook me up with the (2) 1x3 red bricks I need to finish my build? I will gladly compensate you for the cost of the bricks and the postage.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rythe posted:

I screwed up my parts count for my latest bricklink order and now I am short (2) 1x3 red bricks, I am completely out in my personal collection. Is there any chance a fellow Lego goon might be able to hook me up with the (2) 1x3 red bricks I need to finish my build? I will gladly compensate you for the cost of the bricks and the postage.

I will check what I have when I get home.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Bought myself the Monster hearse today because... why not! I don't think I've loved an entire line this much in a long time. Probably since Blacktron.

Edit: Agreed! Just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, it only works with the lid off right? It gets stuck on the roof otherwise and the whole gag doesn't work, although like you said it's not real awesome to begin with.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 13, 2013

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ChesterJT posted:

Bought myself the Monster hearse today because... why not! I don't think I've loved an entire line this much in a long time. Probably since Blacktron.

The coffin toss feature of that thing is pretty lame, but the rest is awesome.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

smackfu posted:

I see a Chrysler building modeled after the Lego sets and a ton of other great models that might not be in the right scale though.
Whoever did that Great Pyramid did the worst job on the easiest building.

Seriously dude? You're going to enter that in a competition? And I don't remember the Great Pyramid having giant crystals of gold growing out of the top.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

smackfu posted:

The microscale Burj Al-Arab is a thing of beauty! I entered the #9 Florence Cathedral, which is now sitting proudly on my office shelf with Big Ben and the Willis Tower.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

Minecraft back in stock at amazon for the moment if you missed it. Reseller market should die down soon, but nice if you wanted one and couldn't get it earlier.

Back in stock as of 0800 EST 13 January. No guarantee how long it will last.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Ok, wow. As a poorer kid in the mid-90s, I could only afford piecemeal Legos from thrift stores. Looks like now building awesome stuff could be a reality. :allears:

What would you all recommend I pick up if I want to get started with mech/walker type designs? Similar to these:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fredoichi/7533889606/
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fredoichi/7186811126/sizes/m/

Sorry about the longhand urls; phone posting mode activated.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Well, those are built out of pretty common parts (except some of the detailing bits, but the leg joints appear to be mostly 1x1 and 1x2 clips & bars). You could probably build something similar out of some of the Galaxy Squad, Ninjago, or Chima sets pretty easily. Galaxy Squad and Ninjago both actually have their own mechs, but they're more Battletech/Gundam types.
They both seem to use some compact SNOT techniques in their cores, which may require some relatively uncommon stuff, but it's hard to say what.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

spider wisdom posted:

Ok, wow. As a poorer kid in the mid-90s, I could only afford piecemeal Legos from thrift stores. Looks like now building awesome stuff could be a reality. :allears:

What would you all recommend I pick up if I want to get started with mech/walker type designs? Similar to these:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fredoichi/7533889606/
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fredoichi/7186811126/sizes/m/

Sorry about the longhand urls; phone posting mode activated.

Galaxy Squad/Chime should do the trick, there's a couple of odd constructions in the blue mech but nothing too special(most of it is built upside down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

AzMiLion posted:

Galaxy Squad/Chime should do the trick, there's a couple of odd constructions in the blue mech but nothing too special(most of it is built upside down)

Also I can see somewhere in each of those where he's cut bricks for the connection to work.

He's cut a harpoon gun in the first one and stuck it in to a set of binoculars to make the antenna and in the second the brick he's using for the main cannon has had the end cut off of it so he can slot all those technic pieces on to it.