Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Woe is Angus, the world is ending. He must endure the dreaded penguin sweater torture.

Oh well, I guess he really isn't paralyzed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Poor Angus. Such cruel and unusual punishment. He's such a handsome dog.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Angus is such a handsome boy :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SuperTwo posted:

Woe is Angus, the world is ending. He must endure the dreaded penguin sweater torture.

Oh well, I guess he really isn't paralyzed.

I still love your dogs :) Goddamn Angus is a good lookin boy!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Siochain posted:

That's how Asa is with me, except I'm home all day but I enforce rules ;) I'm so evil.
And don't get me started with my mother...who calls Asa "The Granddog"...yeah. Spoils her loving rotten, so shes the best person in the universe hahah.

Haha this sounds like my family. I'm home with Vecna all day but I'm the hard-rear end. I occasionally catch my husband telling the dog, "I'm sorry your mom is a jackbooted hausfrau" :saddowns: And both of our parents call the dog their "grandpuppy".

Yesterday I had a friend over who Vecna absolutely loves because he's a dog nerd and plays training games with him. Vecna literally pissed himself in joy when he saw Christoph. What the gently caress dog. But my friend offered to come over a couple times a week and help me work on Vecna's manners towards guests and not jumping up on people, which is really awesome :3: It's really apparent my husband and I need to stop letting Vecna climb up on our laps and lick our faces when we're on the couch. We don't mind it but guests understandbly find it super obnoxious.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The cats hang out in our bedroom in shifts - they're never both in here at the same time. I'm going back to work today, so I set an alarm this morning. Unfortunately it went off during Nibbler's shift and now he's being super annoying.

Tomorrow I will aim for the start of Leela's shift. She just burrows under the blankets and purrs when she sees that I'm awake, rather than chewing on the trash can lid and yelling :rolleyes:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Superconsndar posted:

When Frankie wants water and hasn't got any in his bowl, he asks for it by standing next to either the bathtub or kitchen sink and making weird little Frankie sounds until someone notices. Sometimes he gives false alarms when he just wants attention and everyone is ignoring him.

Today, he was telling lies about needing water (his bowl was full) and wouldn't stop quacking like a duck and bubbling and burbling and sneezing while scratching at the bathtub because he wanted me to pick him up and I wouldn't.

I kept telling him to shut up and he started quacking at ME instead so I just picked him up and plopped him in the bathtub and walked off.

He went silent and started drooping slowly and stood frozen in the tub for like, half an hour before he realized he was not being bathed and figured out that he could jump out and there was no one there to stop him. We had forgotten him by then, and moved on with our lives, but he now will not stop ricocheting around the house because he wants us to know that he escaped the bathtub and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sometimes I think your life is a dog-themed sitcom.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/18-Dogs-Rescued-from-Far-Southwest-Miami-Dade-by-Activists-186114622.html

Lots of rescue lady weirdness, but at the same time, gently caress people who dump their dogs in the wild/outside. Take some responsibility.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, Angus is adorable. And it seems there's an inexhaustible source of Frankietales, which are always fun to hear. the source is totally Frankie

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

wtftastic posted:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/18-Dogs-Rescued-from-Far-Southwest-Miami-Dade-by-Activists-186114622.html

Lots of rescue lady weirdness, but at the same time, gently caress people who dump their dogs in the wild/outside. Take some responsibility.

What has always been mind boggling to me is tendency for people to literally think of their dogs as ~furry little humans~ and anthropomorphize everything they do to death, but then suddenly when the dog isn't wanted anymore the shift gears completely and go to "well it is a dog so it can live free like a wolf and hunt mighty caribou in the suburban wilderness."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

Sometimes I think your life is a dog-themed sitcom.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

The Frankie Show

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

The Frankie Show

How do you find the weirdest dogs, Super?

If you got another dog it'd probably be a wizz kid to balance it all out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

wtftastic posted:

...Does she have a pattern for that? It looks pretty easy.

Asked her last night, she said it was but she had to modify it pretty heavily. Angus' sweater is much more awesome, penguins!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

What has always been mind boggling to me is tendency for people to literally think of their dogs as ~furry little humans~ and anthropomorphize everything they do to death, but then suddenly when the dog isn't wanted anymore the shift gears completely and go to "well it is a dog so it can live free like a wolf and hunt mighty caribou in the suburban wilderness."

Yeah I never really understood that either. I mean, we've spent several thousand years domesticating them so that they'd stick around us and be co-dependent. Then we somehow believe that the dog can do fine on his own.

Ikantski posted:

Asked her last night, she said it was but she had to modify it pretty heavily. Angus' sweater is much more awesome, penguins!

Bummer! I want to knit my dog a little feminine sweater. He needs to be humiliated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I wanna see Zee take down a caribou. Or even a gerbil.

I introduced him to the gerbils and he froze up, fell over and stared like the gerbil killed him. He's also terrified of mice, snakes, geckos, mirrors, lights, couches, stairs, plastic boxes, toilet paper tubes and paper towels. I now have no reason to wonder why he was starving in the wild. We had a beetle go cruising by while he was outside and he dashed away from it. Little dude is a coward.

E: My vets just sent Amy an ecard for her birthday.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 10, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

I think Bailey might not be sufficiently annoyed by the tape. It was moved again yesterday and I found some chewed on bits in the hall way. Then again its possible he jumped up, jumped down, had some stuck to him and then chewed on it.

Also I accidentally got the FiproGuard MAX flea and tick treatment and that stuff just sticks and is kind of gross.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Can you just put your chairs upsidedown on top of the table when you are out? Or an upsidedown office chair mat? You could even try a scatmat if you don't mind shelling out the cash and are ok with him getting zapped a little (while you aren't there to laugh at him).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Can you just put your chairs upsidedown on top of the table when you are out? Or an upsidedown office chair mat? You could even try a scatmat if you don't mind shelling out the cash and are ok with him getting zapped a little (while you aren't there to laugh at him).

Actually I hadn't even thought of putting the chairs up on the table. That would probably be a pretty good deterent. I just worry he'd pull down the chairs and hurt himself, but he's a cattle dog so its probably not a big deal.

A scat mat would be the last choice for me, mainly because of cost. He's resilient enough that the scat mat wouldn't melt his tiny brain.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Could you not lock him out of that room or crate him? :shobon:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

Could you not lock him out of that room or crate him? :shobon:

I have an open plan apartment, so the dining room is part of the living room, etc. I'd put him in another room, but all that's left is my bed room or my office (where I have a lot of rare books). I also don't want to crate him when I'm out for the day as he's crated for bed time and I feel like asking a dog to spend 16+ hours in a crate a day is unfair to the dog.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

wtftastic posted:

Actually I hadn't even thought of putting the chairs up on the table. That would probably be a pretty good deterent. I just worry he'd pull down the chairs and hurt himself, but he's a cattle dog so its probably not a big deal.

A scat mat would be the last choice for me, mainly because of cost. He's resilient enough that the scat mat wouldn't melt his tiny brain.

Do you have an Ex-pen or anything like that? Pushing in the chairs and then putting an ex-pen on top of them would probably keep him from getting up on the table. I guess that won't work if your table is really big though.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Do you have an Ex-pen or anything like that? Pushing in the chairs and then putting an ex-pen on top of them would probably keep him from getting up on the table. I guess that won't work if your table is really big though.

I don't have an ex-pen, but that actually would work too. I'll see what he did today when I get home. Its not a huge problem really (the table already had surface damage from being stored in a barn) but I like this table and my parents gave it to me, so I'm just trying to make sure it stays in good condition. Also its a loving terrible habit for a dog to have/ be allowed to engage in. My next attempt would be stacking the chairs, since I already have the table cleared.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm not sure what this is....

...But it's mine now.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
My parents do the "grandpuppy" thing too. I was actually relieved they like Marlowe so much, because they've never had house dogs ever and said they never would. I was worried he would end up outside by himself a lot when we moved back, but nope, totally opposite. Now he's getting to be a fatty fat because my dad feeds him everything. If I tell him to stop he just does it when I'm not looking. Of course he looks at you like he's starving and hasn't been fed for days dad, you're a sucker! I'm the bad guy now because I make him work for his food. He has helped my mom get out and walk though, so at least there's that.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

wtftastic posted:

I don't have an ex-pen, but that actually would work too. I'll see what he did today when I get home. Its not a huge problem really (the table already had surface damage from being stored in a barn) but I like this table and my parents gave it to me, so I'm just trying to make sure it stays in good condition. Also its a loving terrible habit for a dog to have/ be allowed to engage in. My next attempt would be stacking the chairs, since I already have the table cleared.

I use an ex-pen to separate the dining/kitchen area from my living room and it works like a charm, though my dogs are much smaller than yours. The only thing that sucks is Bridget can push her way through it if I don't reinforce it with a chair, but thankfully we'll be moving to a more permanent solution soon (attaching it to the wall and installing a gate). I do it mainly to keep her out of the litter pan and to give the cats their own dog-free space.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I use an ex-pen to separate the dining/kitchen area from my living room and it works like a charm, though my dogs are much smaller than yours. The only thing that sucks is Bridget can push her way through it if I don't reinforce it with a chair, but thankfully we'll be moving to a more permanent solution soon (attaching it to the wall and installing a gate). I do it mainly to keep her out of the litter pan and to give the cats their own dog-free space.

Bailey can jump pretty high but I cam try that out. I'm sure they either make tall ex pens or I can also move the chairs against the ex pen.

Its funny because I was convinced he was doing it because he was being under stimulated so I've taken him for long walks before leaving, gotten him food toys, etc. He still gets up there so I think he just likes sleeping there.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Drum posted:

I'm not sure what this is....

That, my friend, is a cat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

That, my friend, is a cat.

Looks like a Main Coon

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Levitate posted:

Looks like a Main Coon

Nope, just a mutty fluff-cat. She's mostly fur and mouth.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drum posted:

Nope, just a mutty fluff-cat. She's mostly fur and mouth.

Sorry man, that's definitely a maine coon. I've seen a lot of them and I agree, she's a purebread maine coon.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hey fellow dognerds, on June 28-30, there's going to be a lecture series in Seattle by Marc Bekoff, PhD; Michael Fox, PhD, DVM; Adam Miklosi, PhD; Clive Wynne, PhD; and Monique Udell, PhD. They're going to be lecturing on the topics of Evolutionary Origins of Dogs, Canine Social Behavior and Emotions, and Cognitive Behavior/Development. If you live near Seattle, you can attend the seminar by purchasing tickets, but for everyone else, the event's being broadcast for free via livestream. It's going to be the first of an annual event to promote research and continuing education for people interested in dog training and behavior, and proceeds from ticket sales and purchased videos after the fact will be going toward research in animal welfare and a redesign of the Seattle Humane Society. I recommend people to check it out, if only because dogsperg is awesome and learning is fun!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Wish it was on the east coast :(

For any of yall who feed canyon creek and milos kitchen jerky, I know we had to pull em off shelves yesterday due to some recall...think there were antibiotics found in them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Malalol posted:

For any of yall who feed canyon creek and milos kitchen jerky, I know we had to pull em off shelves yesterday due to some recall...think there were antibiotics found in them.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm334944.htm?source=govdelivery

These are the infamous "chicken jerky treats from China" that have been implicated in illness in dogs but nothing so far has been found to explain the illnesses. The recall is over "antibiotic residues" of some sort.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I've been hearing about how all these made-in-China chicken jerky treats are THE DEVIL!!!!!! for like a year now. Yet, as stated above, they have been able to find NOTHING after various tests. Shadow has been eating chicken jerky for years, it's one of the VERY few treats he actually loves, which is why I've been hesitant to get rid of them, especially since they can't find anything. Does that make me a bad dog owner? :( I think this was just a situation of "hey my dog got sick after eating chicken jerky, correlation clearly = causation!!!!!" and then "OMG THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE VAGUE, COMMON SYMPTOMS MY DOG HAD AND HE EATS CHICKEN JERKY SOMETIMES, DOWN WITH CHICKEN JERKY!!!!!" and then they just expanded it to ALL brands of made-in-China chicken jerky to be safe.

But I am not a vet/scientist of any kind, so I have no idea, I'm just skeptical. :ohdear:

ButWhatIf posted:

Hey fellow dognerds, on June 28-30, there's going to be a lecture series in Seattle by Marc Bekoff, PhD; Michael Fox, PhD, DVM; Adam Miklosi, PhD; Clive Wynne, PhD; and Monique Udell, PhD. They're going to be lecturing on the topics of Evolutionary Origins of Dogs, Canine Social Behavior and Emotions, and Cognitive Behavior/Development. If you live near Seattle, you can attend the seminar by purchasing tickets, but for everyone else, the event's being broadcast for free via livestream. It's going to be the first of an annual event to promote research and continuing education for people interested in dog training and behavior, and proceeds from ticket sales and purchased videos after the fact will be going toward research in animal welfare and a redesign of the Seattle Humane Society. I recommend people to check it out, if only because dogsperg is awesome and learning is fun!

Is there a fee for the live broadcast or anything...? I'd love to check this out.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Malalol posted:

Gonna be broadcast via livestream for free! There'll be more info on the stream the closer we get to the event, but you don't have to miss out.

I find it odd that they aren't able to find anything at all the matter with the treats, yet they're still being pulled. Like Skizzles, I'm not sure what they're looking for or whether people are just using hindsight bias or whatever, but now it's at the level of Medical Mystery so I'm watching like it's a tv show. The truth is probably going to be comparatively dull.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If he just wants chicken jerky why not just get a dehydrator and make it yourself?

Someone has offered me meat rabbits and I am eyeballing this offer and considering having some rabbit in the freezer. It'd be a good test run to see if I really have the balls to off critters.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have totally considered that but I keep forgetting because money and effort. :saddowns: It would definitely make me feel better. Should have asked for one for Christmas. :argh:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

I've been hearing about how all these made-in-China chicken jerky treats are THE DEVIL!!!!!! for like a year now. Yet, as stated above, they have been able to find NOTHING after various tests. Shadow has been eating chicken jerky for years, it's one of the VERY few treats he actually loves, which is why I've been hesitant to get rid of them, especially since they can't find anything. Does that make me a bad dog owner? :( I think this was just a situation of "hey my dog got sick after eating chicken jerky, correlation clearly = causation!!!!!" and then "OMG THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE VAGUE, COMMON SYMPTOMS MY DOG HAD AND HE EATS CHICKEN JERKY SOMETIMES, DOWN WITH CHICKEN JERKY!!!!!" and then they just expanded it to ALL brands of made-in-China chicken jerky to be safe.

But I am not a vet/scientist of any kind, so I have no idea, I'm just skeptical. :ohdear:

Is there a fee for the live broadcast or anything...? I'd love to check this out.

I think there are a few brands made in the US, but they definitely tend to be more expensive. I used to feed Bailey chicken jerky before the first recall rounds. He never got sick, so I wonder what else is going on too. Seems like its complicated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

I have totally considered that but I keep forgetting because money and effort. :saddowns: It would definitely make me feel better. Should have asked for one for Christmas. :argh:

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-America...ords=dehydrator I dunno how broke you are (woo after christmas) but that's only $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
:cripes: I think I made a good story for my vet to tell today. Savannah's lost a few pounds over the last month or so, and a couple weeks ago we felt a hard lump on her side. I thought it was part of her ribs and didn't think too much about it, but then one of our friends was over and petting her, and pointed out it was only on one side so maybe it wasn't just her ribs after all!! So I finally made an appointment to get it checked out just in case. Vet walked in, felt around, said, "that right there?" "Yeah" "That's a rib :haw:"

It's me, I'm that pet owner. :downs: To be fair, it was really pointy and noticeable, and only on one side, and I'd rather be overly cautious than not. We finally got her microchipped while we were there too, so it wasn't a total waste, but man I kinda feel dumb.

• Locked thread