Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I upgraded from my metric only Husky set for xmas. Went with a new Craftsman 56 pc. universal SAE/Metric sockets and wrench set. They work way better than they look, it's really a great thing to have.

Especially as somebody who only gets used bikes, and the PO has managed to partially strip virtually everything about the existing fasteners. It's worth picking up a set just for partially stripped stuff, but I have no complaints about their ability to grab anything thus far.

Have a terrible tool commercial that describes them perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXcoOOs9gU

They have 2-3 star reviews all around the net, but if you read the details all the negative reviews are because they're a Craftsman set that wasn't made in the USA. All the reviews regarding the sets and grip ability itself are 5 star. The set is annoyingly missing the very commonly used 12mm size and it would be nice if it had a 4+ inch extender, but it has a built in storage compartment that I tossed a 12mm socket into and said extender, along with some huge deep wells for spark plugs and tires. It is now the most compact and capable wrench kit I have, and combined with an extra set of screwdriver bits I no longer have to give a poo poo about what type of fastener I'm going to come across.

:edit:
Supposedly post K-Mart merger the no questions asked/no receipt required lifetime warranty on hand tools is back. That's what the sales guy said anyway I haven't turned up anything solid on the net regarding it.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What's the preferred deity for sacrifices concerning faster shipping? I ordered oil filters and gaskets for my Ninjette a few days ago, and just found out it's going up to 63F this weekend... I'm really hoping the weather stays nice for long enough to attempt my first oil change.

Please, Ron Ayers, hurry. I need you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fortunately an oil change on a Ninja takes about 20-30 minutes even if you don't know what the heck you're doing, so I wouldn't sweat the weather too much. :)

The first time I changed the oil on my 650R it took me about 30 minutes because I am apparently retarded and didn't immediately realize how the fasteners for the lower fairing worked. Now I'm confident I could do the whole process in about 10 minutes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's fair. I'm more concerned with getting a chance to ride in nice weather afterwards. I've put this off for too long.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
:facepalm: I just had to explain to two separate Shadow owners that backfiring is neither 'good' nor is it 'cool'

One guy wanted me to perform a baffle-ectomy on his brand new Cobra pipes, and the other needs a carb cleaning. Both of them want their bikes to effectively lean backfire all over the place despite several attempts from me to explain that the 'popping' and flames they desire means their carbs are poorly jetted and synced.

I'm sorry but the customer isn't always right. If they want flames I'll install methanol injectors and spark plugs in their tailpipes, but I will not purposefully gently caress up their bikes' tuning/performance.
That's just moto-sadism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That makes me wonder if any enterprising redneck has put together a "backfire tune" for their Harley, a la smoke tune and diesels. There's obviously a market for it; maybe you could invent such a thing and sell it as a premium service for an obscene amount of money?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
As a guy who has spent a lot of time around Shadow owners... I'd like to say that is not a commonly held belief. This is the first I've heard of anybody intentionally wanting big backfires and poo poo on their bikes. There must be a special breed of moron in your neck of the woods.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ What he said. Metric cruiser owners tend to keep things on the sedate side, as far as mods go (no hardtails, loud pipes, ape hangers, etc.)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:facepalm: I just had to explain to two separate Shadow owners that backfiring is neither 'good' nor is it 'cool'

One guy wanted me to perform a baffle-ectomy on his brand new Cobra pipes, and the other needs a carb cleaning. Both of them want their bikes to effectively lean backfire all over the place despite several attempts from me to explain that the 'popping' and flames they desire means their carbs are poorly jetted and synced.

I'm sorry but the customer isn't always right. If they want flames I'll install methanol injectors and spark plugs in their tailpipes, but I will not purposefully gently caress up their bikes' tuning/performance.
That's just moto-sadism.

But think of the repeat business you're missing out on. When he comes back needing to replace the burnt valves, for instance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

That makes me wonder if any enterprising redneck has put together a "backfire tune" for their Harley, a la smoke tune and diesels. There's obviously a market for it; maybe you could invent such a thing and sell it as a premium service for an obscene amount of money?

You do this by putting straight pipes and a K&N on an otherwise-stock bike. Doesn't take much enterprise. Hell, my vstar popped on decel with the stock catalyzing muffler and paper filter.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Speed Triples burble and pop on the overrun, stock. The accessory Arrow pipe does it more, a lot more depending on which tune is flashed on. Every now and then on the Triumph board someone will come on all excited looking for a tune that spits more flames out the back, but the local hivemind generally sets them straight.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I pop or two after kicking a bike in the rear end isn't the same as something constantly popping and backfiring flames out the exhaust. Not too many people WOT their Shadows like people do to their Triples. Totally different bikes for totally different riders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Even with the DRZ's stock exhaust you can hear muffled popping and burbling on decel. It happens on a ton of bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And cars - BMWs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep my Mustang has a pretty aggressive overrun burble, I bet if I de-catalyzed it, it would pop real good.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Popping on decel when it's light pops is a lean condition.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Popping on decel when it's light pops is a lean condition.

Sure is... which is how many bikes, especially 2012-EPA-compliant EFI models, are tuned from the factory.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

clutchpuck posted:

Sure is... which is how many bikes, especially 2012-EPA-compliant EFI models, are tuned from the factory.

And it's usually not excessively lean in the cylinders, just the exhaust. A common fix for popping on Suzukis is to block the PAIR valve. Before the fix on my Hayabusa with its 4-into-1 Yoshi, it was often shooting flames out the back despite the in cylinder air-fuel being spot on. It usually means it won't pass an emissions test, but arguably it's cheating by adding clean air into the exhaust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

You do this by putting straight pipes and a K&N on an otherwise-stock bike. Doesn't take much enterprise. Hell, my vstar popped on decel with the stock catalyzing muffler and paper filter.

He has straight pipes and a K&N. The thing is loud as gently caress already.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

snail posted:

And it's usually not excessively lean in the cylinders, just the exhaust. A common fix for popping on Suzukis is to block the PAIR valve. Before the fix on my Hayabusa with its 4-into-1 Yoshi, it was often shooting flames out the back despite the in cylinder air-fuel being spot on. It usually means it won't pass an emissions test, but arguably it's cheating by adding clean air into the exhaust.

The reason it won't pass emissions with block off plates is because the air going into the exhaust ports ignites the unburnt fuel, hence the popping and banging, whereas with the plates the unburnt fuel just dumps out into the atmosphere.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My BMW is filled with Torx. I'm used to it now, but when I first bought it, I was like, what the gently caress is this?

I have sets of Torx drivers in various sizes and lengths.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I love Torx, I really enjoy that my BMWs have all used Torx, and I wish it were used more widely. The only real irritant with Torx is when you have to deal with like 8 different sizes interchangeably, but that's just bad design and would be the same problem with Robertson (and even sometimes with Phillips).

I hate cheap Phillips screws that get their socket all mangled if you even look at them wrong. Obviously not all Phillips are bad like this, but it's all too common.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 11, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I completely spun the hole on one of the bolts holding the guard in front of my DRZ rear fluid reservoir today. It was a hex and I used the proper sized metric allen wrench from Sears (not even HF!)

I was so mad and ready to cut a flathead slot in the bolt before I finally realized that there's an access hole to unbolt the reservoir without even removing the guard. Oops. Guess its staying there forever, messed up bolt and all.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Without exaggeration, I just spent about an hour and a half putting the wiring harness for my heated jacket on the battery of my ZX-14. Between being surprised at the battery not being under the seat, to having the navigate the maze of plastics to remove to access the battery (it was actually a lot easier than I was trying to make it) and not being sure how to route the relatively short wire: it sucked. Good side: I now have my heated jacket and gloves, also my bike is still awesome.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
My visor and rain gear literally froze over in some very cold fog today - was awesome getting out of the fog, into a petrol station, and having chunks of ice break off as I moved my arm!

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

They have "lope" tunes for diesels now too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I think I've mentioned this before but Aprilia put out a service-item update to the maps on the Shiver and Dorsoduro engine that eliminated the over-run popping and people were returning their bikes claiming they were broken (and many swearing blind they were down >10% on power even though the new map actually increased power a tiny amount). Aprilia put the pops back in and everyone was happy.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I like when my bike pops a little on decel, it's a happy sound.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I shouldn't street fighter the 675. I've been riding it around without fairings or anything on it the past two days... I'm gonna get arrested. Hooligan ahoy. :lol:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What is it about lack of fairings that leads to hooliganism?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't even know but it feels different than a faired bike. I like it, a lot.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"I know I was riding like a dong, officer, but if you'll notice my fairings are removed :smug:"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, it goes one of two ways... you get labeled as a stunter because of the no plastics and poo poo goes downhill or they think it's some random standard bike and things go well. At least in my experience. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is directly related to how half-assed your conversion is and how little gear you're wearing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I had some bike-related fun this afternoon. Rode down to Bondi to get some sun and go for a dip. I did my usually routine of locking my helmet to my seat and using a cable lock to secure my jacket to the handlebars so people can't spot my jacket, go "that guy's a rider" and nick my keys while I'm in the surf. Come back to my bike 90min later, put my key in the cable lock, turn and...nothing. Someone had tried to force the barrel and hosed it. So I'm standing there going "Well, poo poo." Call a mate, but he doesn't have his work truck so no bolt cutters. Resign myself to riding home with the jacket attached to the bars....and with no shirt on because I was going to beach and had my jacket so the gently caress did I need a shirt for? Thankfully, there was a firetruck rolling through the beachside carpark for some reason so I flagged them down and asked them to cut the cable, then had to spend 5 minutes trying to convince them that it was my bike, then watch (amazed) as it took them another few minutes to cut through a cable lock that I got for free from a copy of Fast Bikes mag.

Fun afternoon.

tldr; Gixxer/streetfighter owner nearly rode home with no shirt on but was saved by fire brigade.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So one of my coworkers (a bi-annual Buell ryder) is pushing the new deals for the Zero electric bikes saying I could get a lot for my 250. They sound pretty cool, but even with all the discounts and federal tax credits, etc., it's basically a $10k commute only bike that uses electricity instead of gas.

Anybody here happen to own one or ride one?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's an electric bikes thread that gets an update once or twice a year whenever there's a new announcement. Probably on page 2.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Hah, I just found it and recall reading a few posts back before I owned the 250.

I'm not really entertaining the idea of owning one, just odd coming from a guy who trailers his Buell to Colorado once or twice a year.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Saw this on Facebook:

"Motorcycle.com posted:

Kawasaki will unveil a new naked version of the Ninja 250 this month, reports TMCBlog.com. The Indonesian blog first published a sketch back in October of a new motorcycle believed to be a new model based on the Ninjette to be called either the ER250 or the Z250. TMCBlog.com now reports Kawasaki will be announced before the end of January, quoting Freddyanto Basuki, marketing manager of Kawasaki Motor Indonesia.
The ER250 appears to be more than just a rumor, as the model codename “ER250C” popped up on an Indonesian Ministry of Industry database of motor vehicle trademarks registered by Kawasaki Motor Indonesia. The name Z250 may still be used in other markets, considering the new model reportedly has more in common with Kawasaki’s modern Z family than it does with the ER-6n.
If the sketch is accurate, the ER250 will combine styling elements from Kawasaki’s Z1000 and Z800 with the mechnical parts of the Ninja 250. The sketch shows a headlight resembling that of the Z800 but the fuel tank, tail and exhaust resemble those of the 2013 Ninja 250 and Ninja 300.
According to the Indonesian government’s database, the ER250C trademark applies to a vehicle with a 249cc engine, the same displacement as the Ninja 250 which claims 31.5 hp at 11,000 rpm and 15.5 ft-lb. at 10,000 rpm. The ER250 will be fuel injected and come available with ABS like the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250.
A new Kawasaki ER250 will likely only be offered in the Asian market where Kawasaki still offers the Ninja 250. More developed markets such as Europe and North America probably won’t get the ER250, but it may be possible Kawasaki will introduce an ER300. The new Ninja 300 is, after all, virtually identical to the 2013 Ninja 250 except for the engine displacement, so it’s possible Kawasaki may introduce a naked 300 to Europe as either an ER300 or a Z300.
A North American release is even less likely as the industry has been hesitant in offering a small-displacement naked motorcycle. That may change however, now that Suzuki is introducing the GW250 while KTM may still yet import the 390 Duke.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/01/15/manufacturers/kawasaki/kawasaki-to-reveal-naked-ninja-250-for-asia/

Bolding mine and not surprising. Naked in the US? As if!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Just give us a loving naked 636, instead of forcing us to rely on stunters to do the duty of tossing them on CL.