Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

cat with hands posted:

Why? He had 3 troop choices. In order to bring them he had to take the special character Chaplain, did he forget that?
Death Company are 0-1 if you don't have Astorath the Grim, IIRC.

Also, how long does Dragon Forge usually take to ship bases? I've been waiting two weeks since my order and haven't seen hide nor hair of my bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Photos of the new DA codex showing up on 4chan, for those who want to look for them.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

Also, how long does Dragon Forge usually take to ship bases? I've been waiting two weeks since my order and haven't seen hide nor hair of my bases.

He posts the dates that he is shipping on his website - as of now he is working through orders from 12/14 onwards. It's not the fastest operation, but it's worth it. Would be nice if he had some as-needed help to get large orders out the door though.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

What's wrong with the tau fliers? They are pretty fair: decent firepower and price for AV10 HP2.
I dunno, most all of the Tau flyers feel pretty weak to me. The Barracuda has sorta-okay firepower but is really, really fragile; even the Stormtalon is at least AV11 (and it gets BS4 and twin-linked for all its guns.) The "transport" Tiger Shark is just horrible, since it's over five hundred points, has worse AVs than the Vendetta does (12/10/10), and comes with essentially the same armament as the Barracuda does and in return gets to carry... fourteen lovely Drones. The AX-1-0 at least has a good main gun, but it's even more expensive and just as fragile, so it's totally possible you will roll onto the field and have your huge, expensive superheavy get cut down by a Quad Gun before you even get to roll any dice.

Don't even get me started on the Orca and Manta. They're like horrible jokes on anyone who spent money on them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The Manta is enormous, but it's so uninspiring once you seal it up, it's all flat surfaces and just huge tracts of emptiness. The outside would be the most boring thing in the world to paint.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Cassa posted:

The Manta is enormous, but it's so uninspiring once you seal it up, it's all flat surfaces and just huge tracts of emptiness. The outside would be the most boring thing in the world to paint.

I disagree heartily

:colbert:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

Yeah apparently he wasn't supposed to take 3 units, there should have been 2 large units at most, and he needed Astorath. But it's alright, we weren't taking it serious and we messed up lots of rules anyway. At least I learned about Death Company and can be a little more prepared for them next time! We'll be playing again Monday, probably with similar lists. I'll just have to prepare with more shooty stuff and stay as far away as I can from them, at least if they're on foot I'll have a better chance to blast them before they can charge.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Bavius posted:

I disagree heartily

:colbert:

Wow. That is absolutely incredible. Not very tau though, but gently caress it - who cares? What a beauty.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It is a beaut. Imagine how much it costs normally from ForgeWorld (over £900 I think?) then tack on the cost of the airbrushing...wow.

Got a question: can you do a FNP roll for Perils of the Warp? Perils says there is no save, and FNP can be used on any 'unsaved Wounds', so I think it can, but another player disagrees slightly.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

krushgroove posted:

It is a beaut. Imagine how much it costs normally from ForgeWorld (over £900 I think?) then tack on the cost of the airbrushing...wow.

Got a question: can you do a FNP roll for Perils of the Warp? Perils says there is no save, and FNP can be used on any 'unsaved Wounds', so I think it can, but another player disagrees slightly.

Yes you can since saves aren't allowed against Perils and FNP is not a save, I think it's even mentioned directly in a FAQ somewhere.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Codex: Dark Angels owns bones. I'm confident in saying that they are the strongest Marine army in the game right now. That's a pretty obvious conclusion, though, given that they are actually written for 6th edition and have the proper point discounts for many units (Librarians, lascannons, etc.) I'm only disappointed in the flyers (not a big deal) and the Land Speeder Vengeance. You'd think GW would want to move more of their ridiculously expensive new models, but what do I know.

The kicker is that Dark Angels armies have the potential to be fun, fluffy, and competitive all at the same time. I believe that, just like Chaos Space Marines, Dark Angels players will be able to make powerful lists without resorting to spamming only the best units in the book because a) the internal balance is a lot better than previous Codexes and b) there is a lot of synergy between the units that wasn't really present before. This is the direction that the new Codexes are headed in, which further cements my opinion that 6th is the best edition yet. Until the first matward Codex comes out...

Librarian (force sword) - 65
upgrade to ML2 - 35
space marine bike - 20
power field generator - 30 (3++ for user, grants 4++ to models within 3"... sick, for only 5 points more than a storm shield)

150 points for a badass biker Librarian. You could save points and keep him ML1 but I kinda want the extra chance to get the ignores cover saves power from Divination.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I agree - It certainly seems like, between cheap tactical squads and the Banner of Devastation, normal greenmarines are going to make a comeback. At the same time, 10 man Deathwing squads twin-linked when they deepstrike onto the table are hard to pass up as well. It's really a shame about the Nephilim, they had a chance to make it awesome and failed miserably, but there's always something.

That's awesome. I was thinking up a list last night, revolving around 2-3 squads of tactical marines, the Banner, and a librarian to prescience as many of them as possible for re-rolled to-hit salvo 2/4 bolters in multiple squads at once. Toss in a big squad of Ravenwing bikes and some Deathwing - hopefully it will also be more fun to play than the current Deathwing lists.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Phyresis posted:

power field generator - 30 (3++ for user, grants 4++ to models within 3"... sick, for only 5 points more than a storm shield)

This is kind of bullshit to any Ork player. A 4++ invulnerable instead of a 5+ cover save at 3/5 the price. Yeah the bubble is smaller but come on people. Oh well I'm sure Orks will get there day again soon :orks:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zhent posted:

I agree - It certainly seems like, between cheap tactical squads and the Banner of Devastation, normal greenmarines are going to make a comeback. At the same time, 10 man Deathwing squads twin-linked when they deepstrike onto the table are hard to pass up as well. It's really a shame about the Nephilim, they had a chance to make it awesome and failed miserably, but there's always something.

That's awesome. I was thinking up a list last night, revolving around 2-3 squads of tactical marines, the Banner, and a librarian to prescience as many of them as possible for re-rolled to-hit salvo 2/4 bolters in multiple squads at once. Toss in a big squad of Ravenwing bikes and some Deathwing - hopefully it will also be more fun to play than the current Deathwing lists.

Yeah, I'm bringing about 4k points with me to release day so I can try out a bunch of different bullshit, that's for sure.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, there's an argument that has broken out in my gaming group. It concerns the Divination power Prescience.

One group is arguing that since it specifies failed to hit rolls, it does not affect blast weapons as blast weapons, technically, never roll to hit (as other weapons do based off their ballistic skill) and therefore cannot ever fail those rolls. This seems to be the most RAW interpretation and is backed up by a passage that explicitly states the blast weapons do not make such rolls.

The other group is arguing that since there is a passage that states if a model has the ability to re-roll its rolls To Hit and fires a blast weapon, then it must re-roll both scatter dice on 2D6.

I don't really care which side wins, I just want this argument to end.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Milky Moor posted:

The other group is arguing that since there is a passage that states if a model has the ability to re-roll its rolls To Hit and fires a blast weapon, then it must re-roll both scatter dice on 2D6.

This is the correct argument. Prescience lets you reroll your to-hit rolls. It's pretty cut-and-dried.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Does Relentless mean that a Salvo 2/4 bolter would fire 4 shots even if it had moved? If so, a couple of huge bike squads may be in my near future.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Zhent posted:

Does Relentless mean that a Salvo 2/4 bolter would fire 4 shots even if it had moved? If so, a couple of huge bike squads may be in my near future.

Yes, that's why I'm putting a Deathwing Command Squad with the Banner of Devastation in a Land Raider Crusader. The hurricane bolters alone fire 24 twin-linked shots, and you could have Tacticals or bikers standing within 6" of the LRC in order to gain the benefit as well.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Phyresis posted:

This is the correct argument. Prescience lets you reroll your to-hit rolls. It's pretty cut-and-dried.

This, it basically twin links the weapon.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

CyberLord XP posted:

This, it basically twin links the weapon.

Does it really give template weapons reroll to wound?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

cat with hands posted:

Yes. That is how to hit rerolls work with template weapons.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

CyberLord XP posted:

This is kind of bullshit to any Ork player. A 4++ invulnerable instead of a 5+ cover save at 3/5 the price. Yeah the bubble is smaller but come on people. Oh well I'm sure Orks will get there day again soon :orks:
It does sound suspiciously good- it's either going to be one of the "always take every time forever" pieces of gear or there's something that isn't yet mentioned that is a big limiter.

Even if it's exactly what it says it is, though, there is a hugely relevant detail buried in the wording: models, not units, within 3" have the cover save. That makes a big difference when you have a bunch of Boyz strung out, and even with a basic squad of Marines you would seriously have to cluster up in order to even get the bonus for five or so of them.

cat with hands posted:

Actually, no, it doesn't. A twin-linked template does reroll to wound, but twin-linked != reroll to hit. Powers which simply allow a reroll to hit don't do anything for templates. Twin-linked explicitly specifies that it applies a different bonus to such weapons.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

AbusePuppy posted:

It does sound suspiciously good- it's either going to be one of the "always take every time forever" pieces of gear or there's something that isn't yet mentioned that is a big limiter.

Even if it's exactly what it says it is, though, there is a hugely relevant detail buried in the wording: models, not units, within 3" have the cover save. That makes a big difference when you have a bunch of Boyz strung out, and even with a basic squad of Marines you would seriously have to cluster up in order to even get the bonus for five or so of them.

It's all models within 3", friend or foe. Also I'm not sure that it gives the user a 3++. That sounds far too strong. Hell, I don't even know if he even gets his own 4++. I don't have the Codex in hand so I cannot verify. If anyone with the Codex could check the rules for "power field generator" I'd be much obliged.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

GW released an updated version of Kill Team for 6th. For free! :aaa:

The rules are made for 200 point games to be played in 30 minutes, with leader models gaining experience over an event 8 games long. Not bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phyresis posted:

Yes, that's why I'm putting a Deathwing Command Squad with the Banner of Devastation in a Land Raider Crusader. The hurricane bolters alone fire 24 twin-linked shots, and you could have Tacticals or bikers standing within 6" of the LRC in order to gain the benefit as well.

Are you certain that banners will work when embarked like that? It seems pretty wonky that dudes would get the benefit of a banner they cannot see. And I thought the old banners at least specified infantry only.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

2000 points - Dark Angels and Imperial Guard

Primary Detachment - Imperial Guard

HQ

Company Command Squad - 145 points
- 4 x meltagun
- dedicated transport: Chimera

Troops

Veteran Squad - 155 points
- 3 x meltagun

- 3 x meltagun

- 3 x meltagun

- 3 x meltagun

Fast Attack

Vendetta Gunship - 130 points

Vendetta Gunship - 130 points

Heavy Support

Manticore Rocket Launcher - 160 points

Basilisk - 125 points

Allied Detachment - Dark Angels

HQ

Librarian - 155 points
- ML2
- auspex
- space marine bike
- power field generator

Librarian - 95 points
- power field generator

Troops

Tactical Squad - 95 points
- 5 x Space Marines
- missile launcher w/ flakk missiles

Fast Attack

Ravenwing Black Knights - 341 points
- 8 x Knights
- 2 x Ravenwing grenade launchers
- power sword
- melta bombs

total: 1996 points

The biker librarian obviously joins the Black Knights and tries to roll Perfect Timing. The other Librarian joins the Marines and stands either in a corner or on an objective, boxed in by the Manticore and Basilisk and casts Prescience on one of them, giving both the Marines and artillery pieces a 4++ save. Yikes. The Veterans are melta because it's cheaper and I believe there is enough anti-infantry in the list between the BKs, Manticore, and Basilisk but it's possible that they are too fragile and might get focused down early. It's a pretty gimmicky list. I'm also thinking about putting a foot Librarian in a huge blob instead, but it's harder to make points for fun stuff in that list.

PeterWeller posted:

Are you certain that banners will work when embarked like that? It seems pretty wonky that dudes would get the benefit of a banner they cannot see. And I thought the old banners at least specified infantry only.

No, I am not certain that any of it works. I'll have to check when I get my Codex.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
You can't have 2 allied HQ, can you?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The Gate posted:

You got me, I had it as DA primary initially and totally forgot. My Space Wolves can take two... I'll have to redo the list :) Good catch.

e: I'll probably drop the gimmick librarian and pick up an Aegis Defence Line with Icarus Lascannon or Quad-gun (dropping the sarge meltabomb for points)

e2: I've posted it before but I think it got lost: RAW, vehicles can fire emplaced guns such as the icarus/quad. Hmm...

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 11, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Phyresis posted:

You got me, I had it as DA primary initially and totally forgot. My Space Wolves can take two... I'll have to redo the list :) Good catch.

e: I'll probably drop the gimmick librarian and pick up an Aegis Defence Line with Icarus Lascannon or Quad-gun (dropping the sarge meltabomb for points)

I was honestly hoping I'd missed a rule that gave you 2 for 1 on them or something.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Nah, only Space Wolves are that epic.

beerad
Nov 26, 2012
Do DA Tactical squads max at 10? I had read a rumor that they would be able to have max 20, but wasn't sure if that was a holdover from the Horus Heresy FW book.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Gate posted:

If you take a second primary detachment you can take a second allied detachment. But at that point you've got 4 HQs and 6 troops soooo...

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

But at that point you've got 4 HQs and 6 troops soooo...

Play Orks!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
130 points for 4 plasma cannons?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The DA fighters seem a bit lame at the moment, but you have to remember that most armies are going to be getting fliers, most of them at around 11/11/10. Those Guns and the fact you treat Weapon Destroyed results as immobilised, with the added ability to hover strike give those fliers a lot of potential to manoeuvre into rear armour arcs and blow things out the sky.

Looking at them in comparison to the Valkyrie/Storm Raven and Helldrake isnt fair, you need to wait and see what else turns up.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

serious gaylord posted:

Looking at them in comparison to the Valkyrie/Storm Raven and Helldrake isnt fair, you need to wait and see what else turns up.

The Valkyrie/Storm Raven, sure. But the Heldrake is a perfect comparison, honestly. Its from another Marine book, similar points, and is becoming pretty common. It was also built for 6th ed, so its in line with what they want I'd assume.

If you can get behind any of the flyers they'll do well (or against the AV10 ones), but that's not exactly easy to manage without Vector Dancer. Why bother paying 160ish points for that when you could get a flakk Dev squad for a similar cost and results. Or an Aegis line. Or allied Hydras, even.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The biggest problem with flakk Devs or Aegis Defence Line emplaced gun vs. Heldrake is that the very first thing the Heldrake will baleflame is the Devs or guy(s) manning the gun (as well as the gun, which has a 3+ save). Also 4 non-twin-linked S7 shots vs. AV12 with a 5++ does not have good odds to do meaningful damage. Hydras suffer from a similar problem but are obviously less fragile vs. that particular flyer (but more fragile vs. the anti-tank flyers.)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

130 points for 4 plasma cannons?

if you're talking about Devastators:

heavy bolter - 10
multi-melta - 10
missile launcher - 15
- flakk upgrade - 10
plasma cannon - 15
lascannon - 20

So yeah, 130. Do you really need plasma cannon Devastators, though? They seem a bit redundant with the rest of the army.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Seeing the Heldrake, the DA flyers, and the limited amount of Skyfire being passed around, it looks to me like part of 6e design is going to be keeping Flyers hard to hit and not rolling out too much Skyfire in the new codices. Flakk missiles are expensive and very limited, otherwise it's mostly fortifications or other flyers who are Skyfiring. It's kind of nice that they aren't going to make flyers king at the beginning of the cycle, and easy to shoot down once everyone has a new codex, assuming the pattern so far holds.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

The biggest problem with flakk Devs or Aegis Defence Line emplaced gun vs. Heldrake is that the very first thing the Heldrake will baleflame is the Devs or guy(s) manning the gun (as well as the gun, which has a 3+ save). Also 4 non-twin-linked S7 shots vs. AV12 with a 5++ does not have good odds to do meaningful damage. Hydras suffer from a similar problem but are obviously less fragile vs. that particular flyer (but more fragile vs. the anti-tank flyers.)

if you're talking about Devastators:

heavy bolter - 10
multi-melta - 10
missile launcher - 15
- flakk upgrade - 10
plasma cannon - 15
lascannon - 20

So yeah, 130. Do you really need plasma cannon Devastators, though? They seem a bit redundant with the rest of the army.

Models I actually own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALL YOUR BASE
Nov 3, 2002

So now that all the DA stuff has been revealed, what are some DA units that make good Grey knights allies? Purifier spam with raven wing anyone?

• Locked thread