Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

A couple pages ago someone was looking for more games like The Room, and there weren't any suggestions other than Myst/Riven. (Which don't have iPad versions yet?)

My little sister is close to beating The Room and is looking for other games like that. What else is out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I rathe dislike Minecraft, but I'm seriously enjoying this.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

overdesigned posted:

I used to have a nice little wooden house. Campfire was outside, four squares away. Then a tree popped up while I was meditating and not paying attention, caught on fire from the campfire, and set fire to my nice little house. My girlfriend found this hilarious.

I have a nice little stone house now.

I feel so dumb, I didn't even think about building a house. My dude lives in a cave with a door on it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I feel so dumb, I didn't even think about building a house. My dude lives in a cave with a door on it.

Houses are overrated, hobbit holes are awesome.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Mother of god this ocean is huge. I've had my phone tilted to the side for 40 minutes now and I'm still sailing with no land in sight. Blockheads is p good

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh poo poo, you guys. I never bothered with Minecraft or Terraria but all you loving jokesters raving about it, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Load it up, eh, this looks kind of dumb. What do I do? Oh, I can dig and stuff like that, huh? So how do I make stuff?

Oh gently caress, now it's four hours later and I'm on a round-the-world cruise in my little boat with a shitload of food and supplies I've harvested from my little garden and the epic mining complex outside my front door. I sailed past some kind of hosed up whirlpool thing. You guys, when you get halfway round the world the stars at night move in a different direction. Holy poo poo. I just murdered a dodo and found an emerald in a secret cave under the ice near the South Pole. It's taken me loving forever to get here, I don't know if I'll ever get home :(

Also - how do you dye clothing? I made some yellow powder stuff, how can I apply it to things?

Edit: What's going on here? This vertical column of water was acting like there was a hole in the earth way below that it was getting drained into...

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 11, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

TACD posted:

Also - how do you dye clothing? I made some yellow powder stuff, how can I apply it to things?

One of the things you can make is a clothing dye workshop. As you upgrade it you can apply up to 3 different dye types (which seems to mix the hues, not turn it into a gradient or anything), but at minimum you need the clothing to dye, the pigment, and a bucket of water.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Blockheads is kindof incredible. I just found this undersea mountain completely loaded with oil, I spent the last few hours terraforming the entire area and using stone structures to drain the water out or into chambers to turn it into a makeshift oil derek / private island paradise complex. I love this game so much.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Blockheads has 2 player online, right? Goons should check out other goons worlds then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

Blockheads has 2 player online, right? Goons should check out other goons worlds then.

Oh yes! Please come see my Blockheadverse, I'm iphoneyop on GC!

Maybe we should wait for a thread before we post a flood of "come visit my world guys my name is dongdude!"

Thread's coming tonight unless someone wants to do it today.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )
Maybe this has been raised before but this game looks a lot like a complete and shameless rip off of Dungeon Raid.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id560744147?mt=8

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I have that app because I thought it WAS Dungeon Raid, and it was free. It's not terrible but as near as I can tell it's inferior to the original in just about every way.

Also jesus christ The Blockheads is going to destroy me. Do we have a thread for it yet? I have a mango farm! I found amethysts! I have oil lanterns! I have dug deeply, but not so deeply that the gods have seen fit to destroy me for my avarice.

Unless you count that whole little house burning down thing. But we're past that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's similar but it changes enough things for it to not be a ripoff and its actually pretty fun. I prefer Dungeon Raid even though it'll never get an iPhone 5 update :(

It's been talked about here.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

TACD posted:

Edit: What's going on here? This vertical column of water was acting like there was a hole in the earth way below that it was getting drained into...

There's basic water physics going on, which allows some funky stuff. For instance you can empty a sea by tunnelling under it and draining it into a cave and that causes whirlpool like depressions as in that pic with a column of moving water blocks with air gaps (so you can sneakily swim through those and top up your O2 ;) ) but when the water freezes, you can mine the ice and reduce the water level that way too. If you place the ice blocks and let them melt, you can use that to fill areas up with water.

Also, the water appears to have a basic set of rules about how far it can rise when it flows, so you can make air pockets and such. Handy for underwater mining :)

(not tried carrying a chest yet, but assuming you can carry a chest full of frozen ice, that basically means you can walk around with a lake in your pocket :) )

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I think I might be finished with Blockheads, for a while at least. Don't get me wrong I adore it and recommend it and I'm glad I bought some IAP to support it. I just think it needs more stuff to build with before I can become invested in it. You can make a couple of houses and things but the nature of how blocks are placed in 2D means there's not really a lot of variety right now. Only the chests and crafting stuff gets placed in such a way you can walk past them, so any clever builds will either need to be climbed over or have doors through them, or tunnels under them etc.

I know some really creative types will build some cool stuff, but I need more blocks and items before I can do anything fancy. I'm sure they are coming though, so I'll dip back in then.

It's a lovely app, it's off to a great start, and has masses of potential for the future. It's just a bit too barebones for me right now. Mind you, I probably say that due to playing hundreds of hours of Minecraft so that makes it easier to see the current limitations. This is still better than the portable Minecraft app though, which is ridiculously gimped.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Blockheads is pretty much Terraria, with less combat because it wouldn't translate well to iOS controls. The only thing that bothers me about it is how long everything takes. I realize that early tools have to suck so that there's a sense of progression, I just wish they weren't as bad as they are.

Also as a handheld game, it should really have the ability to complete queued actions while you're not in the app, and then pause. Or, work on those actions until interrupted.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Offline/out-of-app queueing would be pretty awesome. I wonder if they were worried that implementing it would damage their monetizing model (which I think is pretty well done). As it is, I basically end up playing it on my iPad as a "do something else while doing this" game, which is nice enough.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

overdesigned posted:

Offline/out-of-app queueing would be pretty awesome. I wonder if they were worried that implementing it would damage their monetizing model (which I think is pretty well done). As it is, I basically end up playing it on my iPad as a "do something else while doing this" game, which is nice enough.

That is how I am treating the game right now. I play it as a "sanity moment" at work during the day.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

ChocNitty posted:

Interestingly enough the next minecraft update will have online over 3g and with GC it seems.

Two crafting games.. not enough time :(

Would it be better to make a blockheads thread?

EDIT:

graventy posted:

Also as a handheld game, it should really have the ability to complete queued actions while you're not in the app, and then pause. Or, work on those actions until interrupted.

Time related IAP is just an annoyance, which is why I'd rather have paid $6-7 for Minecraft and spend my time exploring, if I find cool stuff I can make it and use it right away, than sitting around for 8 hours while a lvl whatever, whatever "crafts". IAP like special units/objects/effects/whatever are the most useful to me, if I like a free game a lot and spend tons of time in it I wouldn't mind getting perhaps object A and B for a few bucks instead.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 11, 2013

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dvlos posted:

Interestingly enough the next minecraft update will have online over 3g and with GC it seems.

Two crafting games.. not enough time :(

Would it be better to make a blockheads thread?

EDIT:

Time related IAP is just an annoyance, which is why I'd rather have paid $6-7 for Minecraft and spend my time exploring, if I find cool stuff I can make it and use it right away, than sitting around for 8 hours while a lvl whatever, whatever "crafts". IAP like special units/objects/effects/whatever are the most useful to me, if I like a free game a lot and spend tons of time in it I wouldn't mind getting perhaps object A and B for a few bucks instead.

Do minecraft IOS worlds interact with "standard" minecraft servers/worlds?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Virigoth posted:

You can't even join another iOS world unless it's on the same wifi network. Minecraft: Pocket Edition is woefully, woefully behind normal Minecraft. There are no caves. The map is 255 blocks square. Sand and gravel aren't afffected by gravity. There is no redstone functionality.

It's still fun in its own way, but yeah it's just a toy to give you the flavour of playing MC for a few minutes at work now and then.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Make IAP that allows the progress bars for crafting to go up while home'd out

Done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Nope.. none of the minecraft ports can interact with any other ports.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I found the south pole!

The next logical thing to do is to tunnel straight down until I reach the north pole. I'm not getting anything done today. :ohdear:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Virigoth posted:

No but this upcoming update will include a couple of things, 3G and online multi support (finally). There's no nether or gravity as mentioned I believe there is pigmen, creepers and other monsters though, it's lacking a lot of the PC and 360 functionality but for a mobile game I thought it was pretty fun.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I bought the $2.99 time IAP for Blockheads on my iPhone, and noticed that when I installed the game on my iPad I didn't have it. If I buy it on the iPad, will it just restore the purchase or charge me another $2.99?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sieg posted:

I bought the $2.99 time IAP for Blockheads on my iPhone, and noticed that when I installed the game on my iPad I didn't have it. If I buy it on the iPad, will it just restore the purchase or charge me another $2.99?
I had this question with IAP full unlock for Shantae (which is universal) and it restored the purchase on the iPad for free. Contact the devs to be perfectly sure if you don't get I text anecdotal evidence here though.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
How do you get clay in the Blockheads? I found a pool that had plenty of limestone and sandstone, but no clay.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Voodoo posted:

How do you get clay in the Blockheads? I found a pool that had plenty of limestone and sandstone, but no clay.

Clay look like Flint (found in the ground, not stone level) but are grey instead of black.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Okay, I feel like an idiot, but how do you craft a basket in the Blockheads? I assumed it would come from a tool bench or a woodworking wench, but I don't see it on either one. What am I missing here?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Voodoo posted:

If found clay just in regular dirt near the surface.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Paradoxish posted:

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but how do you craft a basket in the Blockheads? I assumed it would come from a tool bench or a woodworking wench, but I don't see it on either one. What am I missing here?

Craft Bench

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

FlashBangBob posted:

Clay look like Flint (found in the ground, not stone level) but are grey instead of black.
Ah that was it, thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Craft bench.

Oceans are very deep, I dug through a glacier by the south pole thinking that there must be precious treasures beneath, five fully-zoomed out iPhone screens later and I found sand and then a cave! And wore out my iron pickaxe. There wasnt really anything in the cave either. And now I'm not sure which way is fastest to get home. I still have like 52 oranges so I'm going to press!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Oh wow, the one whose description specifically says that it's for crafting baskets.

I seriously must have looked through the workbench about ten times for another bench and somehow missed that one every time. :downs:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Sieg posted:

Bummey answered this above because I had the same question. Just rebuy it and it will tell you "you already bought this." and restore it. Its much scarier than "Restore purchases" but it worked fine for me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Geekner posted:

A couple pages ago someone was looking for more games like The Room, and there weren't any suggestions other than Myst/Riven. (Which don't have iPad versions yet?)

My little sister is close to beating The Room and is looking for other games like that. What else is out there?

Just want to quote this one post out of 50 for Blockheads, but I'm looking for much the same thing. Any recommendations would be great.

Also, I quickly soured on Time Surfer even though I initially liked it. There's not much skill involved, and it seems you're either careening through the world at high speed or going extremely slow. The time mechanic doesn't do much when you're traveling so fast, and it runs out quickly. Deleted.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
One more blockheads tip. If you're going to attempt to circumnavigate the globe, it's vital that you befriend a donkey and don't let him fall down a cave and disappear.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This game is so, so bad for my battery. That IAP is tempting, most of my play time is spend reading the forums while a progress bar creeps along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

One more blockheads tip. If you're going to attempt to circumnavigate the globe, it's vital that you befriend a donkey and don't let him fall down a cave and disappear.
Furthermore, take more than one workbench with you. I ended up having to slowly slog through the freezing south without a campfire (and my poor dude on 0 health) because I'd built my second base camp near the west pole and it never occurred to me that the world could be so big.

How do you get leather?

• Locked thread