Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Dr. Lariat posted:

My cyber Monday order from pop market still hasn't shipped despite the dec. 10-20 og estimate. When I check the site now it states shipping late January.

I ordered a White Stripes bundle from them at that time and I actually forgot about it until the other day. No idea when it will come, but I'm not worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
That's what I'm waiting on as well and had the exact same totally forgot about it until a week ago thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lariat posted:

My cyber Monday order from pop market still hasn't shipped despite the dec. 10-20 og estimate. When I check the site now it states shipping late January.

At least you were given a ship date change update. AFAIK, they never changed their listed release date for the Virginia EP 12" from 'December 6' until it finally shipped today. I had to find out the updated release timeframe from one of the National's Facebook updates.

On the other hand, they were like 4 or 5 days early with their release day-delivery shipments of Shields, which was a pretty welcome gently caress up on their part. It was rather awesome to hoard the LP for a few days before anyone else was "allowed" to have the album and the download cards could be redeemed.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 11, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh, look at that...Congratulations Insound! You've shipped half of the order I placed back in the third week of November. You know, the one that you didn't let me know was almost entirely composed of backordered stuff until after I'd placed it.

Swear to God- last time I buy from them.

But what if they run one of those great sales they're always having that reduces to price of the records to almost what everyone else charges?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

But what if they run one of those great sales they're always having that reduces to price of the records to almost what everyone else charges?

:/ To be fair, I only ever buy from them when they're running one of those sales or they've got some exclusive thing that I want (like the gold edition of Shields. They're still cheaper/have a wider- if less interesting- selection than my most accessible brick and mortar place and it's easier/cheaper to ship from one source than it is to get stuff from a bunch of different sellers on Amazon. Also, they're close enough to me where my deliveries usually arrive on the early side ( :shobon: when they finally ship).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:/ To be fair, I only ever buy from them when they're running one of those sales or they've got some exclusive thing that I want (like the gold edition of Shields. They're still cheaper/have a wider- if less interesting- selection than my most accessible brick and mortar place and it's easier/cheaper to ship from one source than it is to get stuff from a bunch of different sellers on Amazon. Also, they're close enough to me where my deliveries usually arrive on the early side ( :shobon: when they finally ship).

There are a whole lot of places to buy records online. Sound Stage Direct carries a lot of the same poo poo for less money and they actually know what they're doing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have ordered from amazon and they ship in a corrugated cardboard mailer. Unfortunately it can be bent like any other box, and I have had a jacket bent up around the album.

When I order from discogs I often receive the same way, but they cram 5+ records into the mailer, which stiffens it considerably.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

well, http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/01/11/star-wars-episode-1-receives-1st-pressing/

:kiddo: :staredog:

I guess I am ordering this, because I love Duel of the Fates, and I want more.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

NOTE: If you are not happy with the final manufactured colored of the vinyl records, and it didn't match your expectations or photo samples released during pre-orders, gently caress OFF! It's hard enough running an independent label.

gently caress these guys.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress these guys.

I don't really see this as a big deal. Record collectors are pretty spergy as a whole, if you aren't paying an insane amount of money for a record they shouldn't have to listen to crazy whining.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

alg posted:

I don't really see this as a big deal. Record collectors are pretty spergy as a whole, if you aren't paying an insane amount of money for a record they shouldn't have to listen to crazy whining.

It's one thing taking that attitude with your friends punk band, it's quite another when you are representing a huge intellectual property. What an rear end in a top hat.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Has green/brown ever ended up not literally looking like poo poo?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

alg posted:

Record collectors are pretty spergy as a whole...
Adding "Star Wars fans" into the mix is a sperge multiplier.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

midge posted:

It's one thing taking that attitude with your friends punk band, it's quite another when you are representing a huge intellectual property. What an rear end in a top hat.

I'm going to start a record label. I hope to have a lot of clients and repeat customers. I hope everyone tells their friends about us, so they too can become repeat customers and in turn spread the word.

But I'd better just mention the fact that if anyone dares complain, these fuckers can just gently caress right off.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

midge posted:

Yeah I can sort of get that but with 8000! records pressed I can't imagine reading those e-mails like the people whining about Jack White's Lastest Album Now With Thunderbolt Vinyl on a much larger scale.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm going to start a record label. I hope to have a lot of clients and repeat customers. I hope everyone tells their friends about us, so they too can become repeat customers and in turn spread the word.

But I'd better just mention the fact that if anyone dares complain, these fuckers can just gently caress right off.

To be fair he warned a pretty specific set of whiners.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

There are a whole lot of places to buy records online. Sound Stage Direct carries a lot of the same poo poo for less money and they actually know what they're doing.

In my experience, SSD hasn't been really much cheaper than Insound, if at all- at least not for the stuff I've ended up buying online. I'll give you that they don't pull any "we didn't tell you it was backordered, we probably won't tell you when it's gonna ship" bullshit and they're more professional to deal with. It sucks that their website looks and navigates like it's from 2002.

traveling midget posted:

Has green/brown ever ended up not literally looking like poo poo?

Never. And it could be cool in certain circumstances (like, imagine if Troma ever decided to release a special sludge-colored print of the Toxic Avenger OST or whatever....which would rule), but getting that color combo in a blind box print is like your grandfather pulling 5 year-old you aside on Christmas Eve to secretly tell you that he bought that Power Rangers action figure you've been obsessing over (but you can't open it until morning)- which leads you to stay awake all night wracked with anticipation only to find out under the tree, in front of everyone else and Dad's camcorder, that it's the Yellow Ranger.

My copy of Heady Fwends came in dark green/yellow/brown (disc 1) and dark blue/dark green/grey/brown (disc 2). It's "New Jersey"- colored.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

On a loosely related/slightly more serious note, I've toyed with the idea of commissioning a small run of goon-exclusive LPs just for shits and giggles. Like maybe for one of the sundry goon-produced music threads or whatever. A cycling thread I posted in made a bunch of custom Bearpope-themed jerseys a few years back that were pretty boss.

Imagine a "Goatse-colored" record (pink and red swirl with two brown "hands") featuring such dulcet sounds as Kuuenbu screaming at his dad, Fragmaster reciting from "A Day In the Life of Axle," or just about any moment featuring Gorgeous George....

:allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

Yeah I can sort of get that but with 8000! records pressed I can't imagine reading those e-mails like the people whining about Jack White's Lastest Album Now With Thunderbolt Vinyl on a much larger scale.

Which is extra awful because if you have an actual issue like a bad pressing it makes their people extra unwilling to help you.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
There's a difference between an actual pressing issue and "my colour mix looks lovely"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

There's a difference between an actual pressing issue and "my colour mix looks lovely"

One would think.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Waiter! This turd has peanuts in it. Take it away!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Some new stuff:

Castle Face and Friends - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Linear Downfall - Fragmental Hippocampus
Yo La Tengo - Fade (No. 420 bro)
Castle Face - Group Flex
Castle Face - Son of Flex

I'm not really a fan of flexis, but these flexibooks are pretty neat.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I get really anxious when you post because it inevitably adds a bunch to the list of records I didn't even know I wanted to buy.

Thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Latest grabs:

Vassafor - Obsidian Codex 2xLP
Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis

Portal - Outre
Adversarial / Antediluvian - Initiated In Impiety As Mysteries
Gouge - Doomed to Death EP

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Got some stuff.

Woods - Bend Beyond (with surprise poster!)

The Doozer - Keep it Together

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Do you guys have any experiences with the Audio-Technica AT-LP120? I don't really trust Amazon reviews for turntables since they're usually full of write-ups from less knowledgeable people like me (and the word 'vinyls' comes up way too much). It's about $235 new but I've found it pretty frequently on eBay for about $150. I have an older Pioneer PL112D I just recently got for about $50 shipped but since it has a suspended tonearm/platter it skips like a mofo from vibrations in my hardwood floors. Putting up a wallmounted shelf is out of the question in my apartment so I figure I'd just upgrade to something more modern and reliable. Any other recommendations in the $100-$150 range? How about the Stanton T62?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

mono posted:

Do you guys have any experiences with the Audio-Technica AT-LP120? I don't really trust Amazon reviews for turntables since they're usually full of write-ups from less knowledgeable people like me (and the word 'vinyls' comes up way too much). It's about $235 new but I've found it pretty frequently on eBay for about $150. I have an older Pioneer PL112D I just recently got for about $50 shipped but since it has a suspended tonearm/platter it skips like a mofo from vibrations in my hardwood floors. Putting up a wallmounted shelf is out of the question in my apartment so I figure I'd just upgrade to something more modern and reliable. Any other recommendations in the $100-$150 range? How about the Stanton T62?

I've had an AT-LP120 for over a year based on recommendations in the OP and my only real issue is the audio out cables are attached internally and a bit short for my unusual av setup. This was fixed with an extender and a minor gripe as I have an irregular amount of space from my TT to receiver.

Edit: I also took of the cheap mat included and replaced it with a nice rubber one but that's fairly minor and a matter of taste.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 11, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mono posted:

I've had the AT-LP120 for about five or six years and don't have any complaints. Although I also got mine before they started putting in the usb plugs. I'm not necessarily saying that they're made to cheaper quality now, but a lot of times turntables with usb connections aren't good.

edit: I also swapped out the stock cart because the one it comes with uses a massive amount of tracking force. I went with the AT-440MLa.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Surfingelectrode posted:

Some new stuff:

Castle Face and Friends - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Linear Downfall - Fragmental Hippocampus
Yo La Tengo - Fade (No. 420 bro)
Castle Face - Group Flex
Castle Face - Son of Flex

I'm not really a fan of flexis, but these flexibooks are pretty neat.

This is gonna be a stupid question, but I got the Yo La Tengo release but where the hell is it #ed?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I've had the AT-LP120 for about five or six years and don't have any complaints. Although I also got mine before they started putting in the usb plugs. I'm not necessarily saying that they're made to cheaper quality now, but a lot of times turntables with usb connections aren't good.

edit: I also swapped out the stock cart because the one it comes with uses a massive amount of tracking force. I went with the AT-440MLa.

I have a USB version, and it sounds like audio sex. It's good enough to track "Zero" properly, then I know it's a good turn-table.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Thanks for the feedback, that's encouraging. I might just bite the bullet and get it brand new since I thought it was almost $300 but realized it was $233 when I made that post.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got dis sad machine today

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Crimson Sox posted:

This is gonna be a stupid question, but I got the Yo La Tengo release but where the hell is it #ed?

It's on the sticker on the shrink wrap.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

CPL593H posted:

I can't remember the details but a year or two ago they stopped using the heavy "dj" stylus and started making them with one that's a bit lighter.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Just went to my local store and was shocked to see that they restocked all those Incubus albums from Black Friday. I picked up Make Yourself, but had to leave behind Morning View due to financial reasons :( Maybe next time Aqueous Transmission ....

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

WASDF posted:

Got dis sad machine today

I love that album so much. I was spinning it just the other day.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think I have a problem :negative:

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
Help me vinyl thread, do I sell my meager collection of about 90 LPs to lighten the load of/finance an upcoming cross country move? It's worth noting that I stopped regularly buying vinyl almost 2 years ago and rarely listen to anything I have anyway. But still, I'm very conflicted. Will I regret this one day?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

William Lee posted:

Help me vinyl thread, do I sell my meager collection of about 90 LPs to lighten the load of/finance an upcoming cross country move? It's worth noting that I stopped regularly buying vinyl almost 2 years ago and rarely listen to anything I have anyway. But still, I'm very conflicted. Will I regret this one day?

Sell them on Something Awful. Also, give me first pick because it was my idea.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Can't believe someone spent 10 bucks on getting me a red text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
If you're really conflicted you should digitize any of them you feel you might want to hear again at some point. You'll get to keep the music, and you'll get your money.