Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

Wait.. What? whoa.

Well , up until the last time I ran it, it ran like total poo poo. Now, it plays fairly nice.

Now to feverishly and impatiently wait for DirtFactor / BOZ sprintcars to be ported.

It's one of the very best sims ever made, but I don't think it's ready to be officially released yet. Oh well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a demo for 2? I'd like to try it out.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

For anyone that might have been waiting for a good deal: The Logitech G27 is on sale at Amazon for $200 today. I can't wait to give it a try with Richard Burns Rally, it's been a long time since I ran that.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a demo for 2? I'd like to try it out.

No, not as far as I know.

If you're into driving sims, it's hard not to like rFactor 2. The vintage racing stuff that's currently in there is about as good as it gets. In general (not just in the vintage cars), the FFB is the most detailed that's available to a regular person. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed buying it, assuming you've got the cash to spare. Watch some videos I guess.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Obsurveyor posted:

For anyone that might have been waiting for a good deal: The Logitech G27 is on sale at Amazon for $200 today.

Meanwhile, on Amazon.co.uk it's still £225 :sigh:

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Helicon One posted:

Meanwhile, on Amazon.co.uk it's still £225 :sigh:

VAT?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

An Enormous Boner posted:

rFactor 2 got "released". Way, way, too early. It's still decidedly a beta.

The ISI PR guy deleted everything mentioning BETA from their site. BUT, they still havent actually released anything since before xmas, so we are still on a public BETA build. There is no way in hell the known bugs and current unfinished features will be fixed for the next build. Not sure what they are playing at really.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

The ISI PR guy deleted everything mentioning BETA from their site. BUT, they still havent actually released anything since before xmas, so we are still on a public BETA build. There is no way in hell the known bugs and current unfinished features will be fixed for the next build. Not sure what they are playing at really.

Possibly a desperate realization that after years of promises and beta builds they have no way of finishing what they set out to do, the money has run out, and they are scrambling to make everyone think things are just peachy?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Billy the Mountain posted:

Possibly a desperate realization that after years of promises and beta builds they have no way of finishing what they set out to do, the money has run out, and they are scrambling to make everyone think things are just peachy?

I gather rFactor 2 is pretty much a pet project for ISI. They have big money projects elsewhere in the automotive industry. The PR guy has stated many times they have no interest in what other sim games are doing, but this latest move suggests otherwise. There is not one mod that is finished, either. You cant even drive the FIA F2 cars in the rain, and they are the most finished of the current mod packages. I cant even start a list of current problems with it because you dont know what to list first, but if you go to their site now and buy it unaware, you would be in for one hell of a shock.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

I gather rFactor 2 is pretty much a pet project for ISI. They have big money projects elsewhere in the automotive industry. The PR guy has stated many times they have no interest in what other sim games are doing, but this latest move suggests otherwise. There is not one mod that is finished, either. You cant even drive the FIA F2 cars in the rain, and they are the most finished of the current mod packages. I cant even start a list of current problems with it because you dont know what to list first, but if you go to their site now and buy it unaware, you would be in for one hell of a shock.

Fair enough. I only said what I did because in my experience with other game developers, the hurry up and get this poo poo out the door syndrome usually hits when either the Publisher is tired of waiting and wants a return on their investement or when the money has run out and they need to recoup whatever they can. I haven't been following the development cycle that closely at all, except to have noticed an awful lof of posts from an awful lot of people about " Well it looks amazing and I can't wait to play it, but jesusfuck it is taking a long time".

EDIT:
Never seen a disclaimer quite like this on the purchase page of a finished product:

quote:

rFactor2 is an evolving product, and as such, we expect to be adding cars, tracks and features for many years to come. We encourage people to purchase rFactor2 based on its current features and content at the time of purchase. We offer a 30-day refund if you are unhappy with the current product for any reason (see “risk free” section below for refund policy), and you should decide on whether rFactor2 is right for you during this period.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 11, 2013

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Even once I knock the 20% VAT off it still comes out at £180, which is $290 at the current exchange rate :/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing new for Asseto Corsa? Demo was suppose to be out a month ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For poo poo and giggles I tried to spend some time on multiplayer again. Seriously, unless you got iRacing style overly sensitive punishing and qualification systems, why would one want to play multiplayer? It's not like simracing games have such a huge following, so you have to play on public ones. Since it's become more of a niche, you'd expect the average skills to be higher. And yet, you have still to deal with people that don't use brakes, cut everything and constantly careen into other players, because they don't look into mirrors and carry too much speed into every corner. How exactly is that fun?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looking for some help.
I recently picked up an upgrade from my 2002 era dell desktop.
I'm now rocking a core 2 2.3ghz laptop. With a 512mb nvidia card
What's the feeling towards race 07 (its about the same vintage as the lappy)
I'm lookin for a play occasional game that isn't arcade as need for speed but not punishing where I need to spend hours on the computer with force feedback controllers to get the best line. And maybe play online every once in awhile.
If there is something better leme know.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Assetto Corsa's tech demo looks like its finally done and release is imminent, as Stefano Casillo has been tweeting that the demo itself is finished and its just a matter of finishing setting up the infrastructure to let NetKar owners play it. Some people have been posting gameplay videos on youtube as well, and some websites have even released impressions etc.

Here's a youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9EfbmUpA0

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Brownie posted:

Assetto Corsa's tech demo looks like its finally done and release is imminent, as Stefano Casillo has been tweeting that the demo itself is finished and its just a matter of finishing setting up the infrastructure to let NetKar owners play it. Some people have been posting gameplay videos on youtube as well, and some websites have even released impressions etc.

Here's a youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9EfbmUpA0

I cannot wait to play this.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Looking for some help.
I recently picked up an upgrade from my 2002 era dell desktop.
I'm now rocking a core 2 2.3ghz laptop. With a 512mb nvidia card
What's the feeling towards race 07 (its about the same vintage as the lappy)
I'm lookin for a play occasional game that isn't arcade as need for speed but not punishing where I need to spend hours on the computer with force feedback controllers to get the best line. And maybe play online every once in awhile.
If there is something better leme know.

I think race07 is about as close to what you want as you can get. Live4Speed would run well on that system, but I have no idea if anyone plays it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

I think race07 is about as close to what you want as you can get. Live4Speed would run well on that system, but I have no idea if anyone plays it.

You can almost always find pick up races on LFS, although they may tend to be more in the day time if you're a USA player. LFS is also significantly better than Race '07 in terms of physics, FFB, and options.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did you guys catch the announcement of DriveClub for the PS4 yesterday? Could be interesting entry into the racing game arena. The lead developer is certainly manic enough with his quasi-sexual man love for cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INNS-zhmFZI

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Anybody checked out the RaceRoom Racing Experience beta/demo/free-to-play/whatever that came out on Steam recently? The kids on Steam sure are bitching about the way it's being rolled out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I looked at lfs, but seems like it's 40 bux for 7 tracks and like 15 cars.
Do I need s2 in order to use mods?
How is the mod/extra car community?
The wheel that I am using doesn't have ffb.
I am in the US, and am only available in the evenings so online may not work well for me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't have my racing wheel with me at college, I hope I can just use a controller to play Asseto Corsa. I know I won't be able to get the most out of the sim, but I hope it's still friendly to controllers anyways.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Local Resident posted:

Anybody checked out the RaceRoom Racing Experience beta/demo/free-to-play/whatever that came out on Steam recently? The kids on Steam sure are bitching about the way it's being rolled out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

Currently, I can't get it to load into any track or anything.

I was having a great time with it for a while. Comes with only two free tracks (both fictional, one a normal track and another a hillclimb) and a couple cars.

I really like the Apex Hunt mode, where you have to clip the apexes while getting under certain times. Fun for learning tracks and finding those apexes.

I liked it enough that I bought the Bathurst track (THAT ELEVATION CHANGE) and was really enjoying it, until the game started not loading right.

No workaround I've heard of has worked so far. Waiting for a patch or something :(

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
:siren:Assetto Corsa Tech Preview has been releeased!!:siren:

There's a few download links on the side but unfortunately most of them are out of commission, including the torrent (:() but I would still suggest trying them if that's what you prefer. I'm using the second Mega.co.nz mirror and its pretty fast so whatever.

I really wish it was any car other than this lotus, I hate this car in every video game I've played!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got the preview installed, ran it, and it won't let me actually play. It says its only for nKar Pro owners right now.

[edit]
To be fair, it said right there on the website, I just didn't see it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I got the preview installed, ran it, and it won't let me actually play. It says its only for nKar Pro owners right now.

[edit]
To be fair, it said right there on the website, I just didn't see it.

Yeah, they've been saying that for a while. I even said it in my earlier post!

Anyway, let's post times. I'm terrible at all simulation racing just FYI. My best time is 1:29.856

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Until March 1st, you can buy netkar pro for 7 bucks, which I did to play this demo. It would be pretty fun. Even though it's sponsored by Fanatec, several of the functions of my CSR wheel don't work in the game. It doesn't even see the axis for my clutch pedal. You can't even set a button to be the clutch. It doesn't accept the hat switch as inputs. So right now all I can do is drive around, lift off throttle all the way, change gears and then go back on throttle. Anything else and it grinds the gears for a second. I'm a bit disappointed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brownie posted:

Yeah, they've been saying that for a while. I even said it in my earlier post!

Anyway, let's post times. I'm terrible at all simulation racing just FYI. My best time is 1:29.856

I didn't think it applied anymore. :mad:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

Until March 1st, you can buy netkar pro for 7 bucks, which I did to play this demo. It would be pretty fun. Even though it's sponsored by Fanatec, several of the functions of my CSR wheel don't work in the game. It doesn't even see the axis for my clutch pedal. You can't even set a button to be the clutch. It doesn't accept the hat switch as inputs. So right now all I can do is drive around, lift off throttle all the way, change gears and then go back on throttle. Anything else and it grinds the gears for a second. I'm a bit disappointed.

That's weird. I have a Fanatec GT2 + CSR pedals and everything works perfectly. My hatswitch, my clutch pedal, etc are all recognized. It's true however that you can't bind clutch to a button, but I'm totally okay with that considering the game comes with automatic clutch and even automatic throttle blipping as aids if you want them.

EDIT: Here's a list of known issues:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/known-issues-check-before-posting.207/

One of them is not being able to assign clutch to a button, looks like it might happen later. Also says that D-pads aren't supported right now.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe it's because my pedals are going through my wheel and not straight to USB. I do that so I can use it with Forza. Everything shows up in the game controllers window. The game just doesn't even show the clutch axis. And the automatic clutch doesn't seem to do anything in game if the throttle is pressed in. I go to switch gears with the H shifter and it just sits there grinding the gear until eventually shifting.

Edit: Looked on the forums. seems like clutch doesn't work through the wheel. I don't really feel like changing it to USB right now as I'd have to disassemble my racing rig.

Double Edit: Plugged my pedals in USB and gave it another go. This game is pretty fun. I'll reserve my total judgement until I can drive something besides the Elise. The back wheels have more grip than the front wheels, needs to be the other way around, please.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2013

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : splurged on an Obutto Ozone, and have a g27 and 660ti coming this week.

Most important lesson learned is to make sure the displays you buy are VESA mount compatible. This poo poo is tacked on with a boatload of "Gorilla Epoxy"

Halkenguard
Sep 20, 2012

This may or may not be something completely stupid.
What is the general opinion on Fanatec wheels and pedals around here? I've been oogling them on their website for quite a while now and have been thinking of buying this setup with some sort of cockpit, probably a Obutto R3volution.
Wheel: Fanatec Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel
Pedals: Either the CSR Elite Pedals US or the Clubsport Pedals V2
Shifter: CSR Shifter Set

I know it's pricey, but in the end I think it'll be worth it.
Opinions? Warnings? Etc...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I personally would actually recommend against it. I've got a Porsche GT2 wheel and I've various problems with it. It's overheated, newer firmware has introduced bugs and other problems like reducing the maximum strength down to 75% of what it was previously, and I've actually started using the logitech drivers and PS3 mode more often. The build quality is also kind of shoddy, with the stitching around the fake leather being so poorly done I had to remove some of it because it was giving me blisters on my thumbs. At the same time it's pretty quiet (although almost everything has a really annoying whine to it - the fan, the belts inside) and is supported by basically every game ever. I don't know how many of these problems are present on the CSR wheel though.

I'd say if you play any racing games on an xbox, it's worth it. Otherwise I really don't think it's worth the high asking price, and I'd probably just get a logitech.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Isn't the CSR Elite a lot better than the Porsche wheel...

I've usually heard that the FFB is massively better and more powerful than any Logitech product but the build quality can be a little weak. I guess they do repairs, though.

edit: oh wait I don't know about that wheel that you linked. It might suck.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2013

Halkenguard
Sep 20, 2012

I've heard that the 911 wheels were never all that great, but after seeing a few reviews of the Fanatec CSR Wheel, I've heard nothing but good things about it. I was hoping to get a long term kind of report on the CSR wheel. I know all the reviewers do their videos after only a couple days of owning it, but I'd like to hear from someone who's had one for months and can tell me what's wrong with it on the long term.

EDIT:

An Enormous Boner posted:

Isn't the CSR Elite a lot better than the Porsche wheel...

I've usually heard that the FFB is massively better and more powerful than any Logitech product but the build quality can be a little weak. I gu
ess they do repairs, though.

edit: oh wait I don't know about that wheel that you linked. It might suck.

I'm pretty sure it's the Elite just minus one motor and some other minor features.

Halkenguard fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 15, 2013

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The 911 wheels were always touted to be the best wheels available before elite wheels were announced. They were the only belt driven wheels for a long time and were widely considered to be very good but with poor build quality. The Fanatec CSR wheel is based off of the GT2 wheel with a new rim, electronics, paddle shifters and is officially licensed for Forza. It has the same internals in terms of belts and stuff in the base. The only differences are in the wheel rim. You also get fewer buttons and no ps3 button lights. There's less leather and more plastic on the rim, but honestly this might be a good thing based off my experience with the GT2. The firmware is also different because of the new electronics and the company seems more interested in supporting the CSR line than the older GT2 since the GT2 has basically gone out of production (all the bases are used to make CSR's now).

The elite and the club sport are both new designs that are definitely more powerful than their logitech counterparts. The CSR and GT2 seem to be about the same strength to me.

To be clear if you get a CSR you will enjoy yourself and it will probably fulfill its purpose plenty. It will also probably break (or already have problems as soon as you get it) within your warranty period which is a hassle but they'll fix it no problem as long as you order directly from them. I don't think that Fanatec is worth the extra asking price though, not over Logitech. In the end Logitech is cheaper and more reliable, has better software support regardless of wheel and is just as widely supported.

EDIT: This is just talking about their wheel's though. I heard their shifter is utter garbage, breaks often and is flimsy as gently caress, and I strongly recommend you don't spend your money on it. Their pedals are all good but the clubsport comes with a loadcell which is kind of a big deal (maybe) so you might want to look into that. It's all overpriced though.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2013

Halkenguard
Sep 20, 2012

Yeah. The shifter looks pretty cheap, but I know Fanatec is about to release the Clubsport shifter. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm used to a ball shifter, and the new one, although it has more mounting options, looks like it would feel like pushing around a can of coke.

Price isn't particularly a big issue for me as long as the whole rig (only electronic components) doesn't exceed $1000.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Halkenguard posted:

Yeah. The shifter looks pretty cheap, but I know Fanatec is about to release the Clubsport shifter. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm used to a ball shifter, and the new one, although it has more mounting options, looks like it would feel like pushing around a can of coke.

Price isn't particularly a big issue for me as long as the whole rig (only electronic components) doesn't exceed $1000.

I have a fanatec csr with the csr shifter and csr elite pedals with the pedal inversion kit mounted to the forza 4 branded playseat with a custom shifter mount. I think its wonderful. My shifter broke while downshifting from 4th to 3rd, just snapped at the shaft, about a month after I bought the setup but fanatec replaced it for free and the replacement has been perfectly fine for a year. The build quality of everything else has been outstanding.

One thing I don't like is that when setting the degrees of rotation to anything under 900 it uses the force feedback motor to restrict the rotation which would be fine if it were strong enough but when playing f1 2012 I set it at 270 to be realistic and in the rare situation that I turn it to full lock it my arms are stronger than the force feedback motor and I can steer it beyond 270, and this gives the perception of the steering getting heavier when in reality when you're at full lock you'd likely be sliding and it should be lighter. I upgraded to a csr elite and it does not have this problem. I highly recommend the csr elite.

Note: I have found that the wheel (either csr or csr elite) works a lot better when running it in emulated logitech mode and use logitech drivers. Much better compatibility.

If you don't care about xbox compatibility I would recommend a clubsport setup instead.

I can tackle any other questions you have too.

Oh, and the csr elite pedals also have a load cell and they are great.

The csr elite wheel is much more than just a regular csr with an extra motor. The entire base is different and the force feedback motors are much better. Its also quieter and heftier (the base). The wheel rim itself is the same but that's where the similarities end. Also the csr is an updated version of the porsche wheels. Its pretty similar aside from the rim. If I could get a csr elite with a porsche gt2 wheel rim with paddles it would be absolutely perfect for me. Might be a possible mod.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 16, 2013

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GutBomb posted:

If I could get a csr elite with a porsche gt2 wheel rim with paddles it would be absolutely perfect for me. Might be a possible mod.

Wish we could swap wheels so bad bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Halkenguard posted:

What is the general opinion on Fanatec wheels and pedals around here? I've been oogling them on their website for quite a while now and have been thinking of buying this setup with some sort of cockpit, probably a Obutto R3volution.
Wheel: Fanatec Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel
Pedals: Either the CSR Elite Pedals US or the Clubsport Pedals V2
Shifter: CSR Shifter Set

I know it's pricey, but in the end I think it'll be worth it.
Opinions? Warnings? Etc...

I have the CSR wheel and CSR-E pedals. I think the Porsche looking wheel and CSR have the same internal bits, I was tempted to go with the porsche one becasue of the nicer materials but I read somewhere that because it's heavier the force feedback isn't as responsive. I have no idea if this is true or noticeable but it sounded reasonable. I haven't had any issues with the wheel and the build quality seems fine , I didn't buy the shifters because they looked kind of crappy though.

The CSR-E pedals are really nice, everything is extremely solid and the way they're built you can instantly see how to adjust them or take them apart or whatever you want to do. Also the load cell brake is awesome.

• Locked thread