Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

I think you're reading too much into the identity of the characters. It was told in response to a question about how to get into heaven and the answer was to be nice to people. The point of the story would be the same if the other guys on the road hadn't been identified in any way.

Maybe you're failing to read enough into it? There was a lot of mutual enmity between Jews and Samaritans at the time, and having a Jew be the bad guy and the Samaritan the good guy would have been very provocative. The story is told as answer to who your neighbor is; the answer being not just people who are like you (the priest and the Levite), but everyone (even icky Samaritans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

I need to set up an online repository where people can essentially add files to a black box. Something simple so they can just browse their desktop to upload the file and not be able to see what else is in the directory they have added material to. Is there a good free (preferred) or pay solution for this? Setting up a private ftp server would be great except it really needs to be accessible by online impaired, as simple of a process as possible without the need to install anything locally for those wishing to upload.

If you have some webhosting just setup something like an uploadify script you're done.

http://www.uploadify.com

EDIT: This company offers a public upload box system. Share a url and they can upload anything anonymously. They have 1gb of free space, larger space plans start at $2/mo.

EDIT2: I was intrigued by that DriveHQ service so I signed up for a free service. It looks like exactly what you want. You setup a upload folder then you get a URL to share with someone.

Here's what the uploader sees

Here's what you see

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2013

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Can an unverified Paypal account receive money? Is there any limit to how much money it can receive? I am assuming I can't take the money out of the account so it would just be Paypal fun money.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks FCKGW and alnilam! Uploadify sounds like it will do the trick and if not I hadn't considered writing something. I have the skills to do that but was just looking for something quick and easy to get up, but if I need to make something the craigslist coder option sounds like a good one to save my own time.

edit: DriveHQ does look like its exactly what I need, thanks for finding it!

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 11, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When the redesign of the forums went in a little while back, did the order of the links at the top of the page change at all? I keep hitting the search link instead of user control panel.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

When the redesign of the forums went in a little while back, did the order of the links at the top of the page change at all? I keep hitting the search link instead of user control panel.

I think it had to have because I keep doing the same thing.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
They recently added a link to the front page, so those other links got pushed to the right.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In regards to a medical flex account, I'm trying to figure out ways to empty my account if I find myself with leftover money at the end of the year. It says that 'First Aid Supplies' do not require a prescription; would something like the following be eligible?
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...g+first+aid+kit

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They changed the rules on those didn't they? My understanding is that now only prescription stuff counts but on the other hand the money can carry over from year to year.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
The gauges in my car are orange needles but they're digitally controlled (it does a sweep back and forth when you start it and you can change the speedo between mph/kph affecting the way the actual needle moves, there's not 2 xPH scales like on older cars)

What would one refer to gauges like this as? For me it's normal to call something with a needle an "analog" gauge because of multimeters but that doesn't really work here, they are digitally controlled and there's surely a finite # of positions the needles can be in.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

The gauges in my car are orange needles but they're digitally controlled (it does a sweep back and forth when you start it and you can change the speedo between mph/kph affecting the way the actual needle moves, there's not 2 xPH scales like on older cars)

What would one refer to gauges like this as? For me it's normal to call something with a needle an "analog" gauge because of multimeters but that doesn't really work here, they are digitally controlled and there's surely a finite # of positions the needles can be in.

They're digital gauges with a faux-analog readout, so... faux-analog? pseudo-analog?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They changed the rules on those didn't they? My understanding is that now only prescription stuff counts but on the other hand the money can carry over from year to year.

Over-the-counter drugs are no longer covered unless prescribed by a doctor, but medical supplies like bandages and rubber gloves are. Durable medical equipment like crutches, braces and blood pressure monitors are also covered. Drugstore.com has an entire section of FSA eligible items, and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon does as well. FSA is a loving stellar deal, and if you don't take advantage of it you should.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That list is fantastic. I just bookmarked it, thank you! And a different type of first-aid kit by the same brand I linked is in the drugstore.com FSA-eligible items list, so I think that pretty much answers my question too!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This says 2012 unused FSA credits can carry over to a ~2 month grace period in 2013, and that the IRS is considering allowing unused FSA credits to roll over to subsequent years in general, but it's not the case now. Or course with such a low max the odds of anything being left to roll over are pretty low. They reduced the max contribution to $2500 and, as mentioned, greatly reduced the stuff that qualifies. Thanks PPACA!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Scaramouche posted:

I'm making a large format vinyl/canvas banner (33" x 78") for a client and I had a question about the CMYK blacks. Usually I would use 'rich black' (e.g. some variation of 70/35/40/100), but this is most useful for things like web presses and multi-plate printing. However from what I can tell most large format printers use a 4 cartridge inkjet style system, would 'registration black' (100/100/100/100) be better?

Option1 (best): contact the printing company and ask them to confirm what they want

Option2: set the rich black as a special colour, include a note with the file for the prepress operator and let them twiddle it as necessary

Option3: set it as your usual 'rich black'

I'd avoid using the 'registration black' unless specifically told to do so - there may be some problems with throwing down 100% everything (maybe drying issues, smearing, etc)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wagonburner posted:

The gauge is analog, however the display could be called analog-faced gauges, electronically-driven gauges, anything of the sort.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Cakefool posted:

The gauge is analog, however the display could be called analog-faced gauges, electronically-driven gauges, anything of the sort.

It's not a lcd or any type of display, it's actual physical needles but they're controlled I'm guessing by stepper motors that can be told to go to any one of x # of positions (vs. old school water/oil/volts etc gauges that would have infinite positions and be modulated by the input voltage or a speedo by a cable) Electronically driven gages seems like it would fit.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 11, 2013

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

spog posted:

Option1 (best): contact the printing company and ask them to confirm what they want

Option2: set the rich black as a special colour, include a note with the file for the prepress operator and let them twiddle it as necessary

Option3: set it as your usual 'rich black'

I'd avoid using the 'registration black' unless specifically told to do so - there may be some problems with throwing down 100% everything (maybe drying issues, smearing, etc)

Unfortunately the client isn't telling me the printing company so when I asked them this they said 'oh they said use CMYK' which is... less than useful. It's mostly photo anyway, with the only 'black' spot black being on some fonts. I'll rich black those and then hope for the best on the rest. I'm still not really sure if those fancy UVLED large format canvas printers use traditional CMYK or not though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

It's not a lcd or any type of display, it's actual physical needles but they're controlled I'm guessing by stepper motors that can be told to go to any one of x # of positions (vs. old school water/oil/volts etc gauges that would have infinite positions and be modulated by the input voltage or a speedo by a cable) Electronically driven gages seems like it would fit.

"Digital needle gauge" or "electronic needle gauge" is what I've heard them called.

That said I can see how you could implement that entirely with analogue circuits.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

What are those little plastic pieces called that they put atop a new 1.75L of booze? It's like a little cross designed to limit the rate at which the booze pours. You can easily pop them off with a knife or pliers. But what are they called?

I am trying to find a google image of one to explain it to a buddy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Macaroni posted:

Book Learnin': (Be sure to also check S&P for various field- or language-specific threads)
I want to learn a foreign language - the MEGATHREAD

So this thread has been closed for about 3 years or so, which I guess means that I have to ask this question here now (since SAL doesn't look like it has any other thread(s) to ask it in).

What are some good foreign languages for somebody in Computer Science to learn? Particularly somebody who's interested in research involving robotics and AI?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 12, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What are some good foreign languages for somebody in Computer Science to learn? Particularly somebody who's interested in research involving robotics and AI?

Japanese, maybe, for robotics.

Mandarin is apparently useful for if you ever deal with manufacturers.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

johnny sack posted:

What are those little plastic pieces called that they put atop a new 1.75L of booze? It's like a little cross designed to limit the rate at which the booze pours. You can easily pop them off with a knife or pliers. But what are they called?

I'd call it a pourer or flow restrictor/limiter or just a plastic insert. There's a shitload of pictures of the ones with the flanges that bars use but it's hard to find one of the built-in pourer. I went through my liquor cabinet and I don't have any bottles with that style pourer, either. I did find this, which sort-of has it there in the top-left corner, but that's not the focus of the image.

Some guy on Yahoo Answers and another on The Straight Dope asked the same question but none of the answers were helpful in finding a picture. Not that I actually expected Yahoo Answers to be useful, but I figured The Straight Dope had a decent chance. After that I just started adding cuss words to my search terms and I got this:

It was taken by a guy who wanted to know what it was called and is apparently the only picture on the internet of one of those loving things.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tarepanda posted:

Japanese, maybe, for robotics.

Pretty much everything I've heard about learning Japanese as a second language indicates that it's drat near useless outside of Japan itself. I've also heard it doesn't have too many linguistic similarities with anything else, which means it likely wouldn't be very helpful for picking up any other languages later on.

tarepanda posted:

Mandarin is apparently useful for if you ever deal with manufacturers.

I thought about this, but the fact that there are so many dialects of Chinese makes me wonder how much use learning just the one would be in the long term.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is for a college class. Which is probably another reason to stay far away from Japanese.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pretty much everything I've heard about learning Japanese as a second language indicates that it's drat near useless outside of Japan itself. I've also heard it doesn't have too many linguistic similarities with anything else, which means it likely wouldn't be very helpful for picking up any other languages later on.

All quite true.

But learning how to learn a language is in and of itself useful. I think the challenges Japanese (or Arabic, or Korean, or Mandarin) presents make that methodology more apparent.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If you're looking for something fairly "mainstream" that will be potentially useful in business, German is always good. This can also potentially help if you decide to learn a more challenging Germanic language like Dutch or a Scandinavian language. You might be able to get broader knowledge out of learning a Romantic language, but many of the countries in Europe that speak Germanic languages are doing quite well economically and technologically these days.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So this thread has been closed for about 3 years or so, which I guess means that I have to ask this question here now (since SAL doesn't look like it has any other thread(s) to ask it in).

Its sequel is on the first page of SAL, you goofball.

As to learning a second language : If you mean talking to people that do your field, then pick the next most represented language and don't be a baby. All languages are hard and take a lot of practice. Even if that's Fula or Hungarian, put on your big boy pants and do it. Although you said it's for a college class, which, be honest with yourself, unless you're going to spend a couple years on this, it isn't going to matter, so who gives a poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Yeah it's only gonna be two semesters worth of class, so I'm not expecting to be fluent in jack poo poo. Still might help to win me a job or two, though. (and I did not see that thread sequel when I checked SAL..... whoops :doh:)

Ror posted:

If you're looking for something fairly "mainstream" that will be potentially useful in business, German is always good. This can also potentially help if you decide to learn a more challenging Germanic language like Dutch or a Scandinavian language. You might be able to get broader knowledge out of learning a Romantic language, but many of the countries in Europe that speak Germanic languages are doing quite well economically and technologically these days.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I kinda wondered if a more widely-spoken language like French might be more useful for potential job opportunities in, say, Canada and the like, but German seems like it has the potential to get more looks on a resume.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 12, 2013

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
There is a brand of men's underwear called 2(x)ist. How is this pronounced? Exponentialist? Two to the ecks ist? This is probably the least important question I have ever asked.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ixo posted:

There is a brand of men's underwear called 2(x)ist. How is this pronounced? Exponentialist? Two to the ecks ist? This is probably the least important question I have ever asked.

Wikipedia and Google say "to exist."

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Really quick question: what's the American slang/name for the dish where you layer whole nacho chips, mincemeat and cheese in a casserole dish and stick it in the oven for a while? (Not 'nacho pie'). Thanks a bunch in advance!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it's just called a nacho plate? I've heard 'nacho supreme' a few times but I don't know if that's a specific variation or what.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

General Venereal posted:

Really quick question: what's the American slang/name for the dish where you layer whole nacho chips, mincemeat and cheese in a casserole dish and stick it in the oven for a while? (Not 'nacho pie'). Thanks a bunch in advance!

I've heard people call it a taco pie before.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I recently saw a BBC documentary on pedigree dogs, and it mentioned this British woman who tried to import a dalmatian from America, but was opposed by local dalmatian breeders because one of it's ancestors was a pointer, and thus a mongrel in their eyes. How exactly could the UK Kennel Club prevent somebody from importing a dog?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'd call it a pourer or flow restrictor/limiter or just a plastic insert. There's a shitload of pictures of the ones with the flanges that bars use but it's hard to find one of the built-in pourer. I went through my liquor cabinet and I don't have any bottles with that style pourer, either. I did find this, which sort-of has it there in the top-left corner, but that's not the focus of the image.

Some guy on Yahoo Answers and another on The Straight Dope asked the same question but none of the answers were helpful in finding a picture. Not that I actually expected Yahoo Answers to be useful, but I figured The Straight Dope had a decent chance. After that I just started adding cuss words to my search terms and I got this:

It was taken by a guy who wanted to know what it was called and is apparently the only picture on the internet of one of those loving things.

Thanks for the post. Crazy how hard it is to find what they might be called. I'll take a picture of one later today...I have a new bottle I can open.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Install Gentoo posted:

I've heard people call it a taco pie before.

My mom calls it "Mexican casserole." ugh.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Baron Bifford posted:

I recently saw a BBC documentary on pedigree dogs, and it mentioned this British woman who tried to import a dalmatian from America, but was opposed by local dalmatian breeders because one of it's ancestors was a pointer, and thus a mongrel in their eyes. How exactly could the UK Kennel Club prevent somebody from importing a dog?

They can't

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#a

quote:

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries
Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination. For the purposes of calculating the waiting period, the date that the vaccination was carried out is counted as day 0.
Step 3 – Get pet travel documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate (apart from Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland who also issue pet passports).
Step 4 – Tapeworm treatment – (dogs only): before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway).
Step 5 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

General Venereal posted:

It almost sounds like you are describing "Frito Pie", which is made with Chili (as opposed to just cooked mincemeat) on top of corn chips (Specifically Fritos) and topped with cheese, then baked until the cheese is melted.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

johnny sack posted:

You can show him this eBay listing and have him choose a name:
Wine Drink Pourer
Flow Restrictor
Bottle Stopper
Bouchon Filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Is there a specific reason why so many banks don't stay open a full day on Saturday, or is it just a thing that was a thing so now it's still a thing?