Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lionel RichTea posted:

It's Samit Wot Won It

I was surprised you weren't posting earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Look at Amla getting another century.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Man of the Match is MS Dhoni James Tredwell.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/engine/current/match/565812.html

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I was surprised you weren't posting earlier

Sometimes it's better to keep a dignified silence. Let the foolish stew in their hateful anti-Samitism.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Lionel RichTea posted:

anti-Samitism.

muy bueno

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Dhoni is literally the most annoying batsman. He operates at a 60 s/r causing every other batsman to throw their wicket away, then hits a few vanity 6s at the end before getting out leaving the team needing 10 an over.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Does Australia not like Cricket now, or what?

They dont win everything anymore so theres no point turning up

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

RideTheSpiral posted:

Dhoni is literally the most annoying batsman. He operates at a 60 s/r causing every other batsman to throw their wicket away, then hits a few vanity 6s at the end before getting out leaving the team needing 10 an over.

No that's actually him being calm and collected in a high pressure situation. He'd make more runs if he wasn't always being batted out of form by cheating white guys who make him bat on unfairly bouncy pitches. Maderchod. Also something about SRT.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I bet the umpires were glad england won so they don't have to explain that ridiculous not out decision for an obviously taken catch

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

thehappyprince posted:

I bet the umpires were glad england won so they don't have to explain that ridiculous not out decision for an obviously taken catch

And in general because: India

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Hilarious collapse in the Caribbean T20 tournament. Barbados is 12/5; gave up hat-trick on first three balls; 25% of runs are from extras. Currently in the 5th over.

Captain Appleseed
Jun 12, 2007
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum

Antifreeze Head posted:

Hilarious collapse in the Caribbean T20 tournament. Barbados is 12/5; gave up hat-trick on first three balls; 25% of runs are from extras. Currently in the 5th over.

That's got to be pretty rare, has a first three ball hat-trick happened before?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Chaminda Vaas in an ODI against Bangladesh.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Captain Appleseed posted:

Google tells me Chaminda Vaas did it against Bangladesh in a World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjJUqWKIVQ

And here's some 14 year old kid that did it for school or something, which has probably happened way more. http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Jack-lad-hat-trick-comes-balls-debut/story-16346258-detail/story.html

Barbados ended up 99/9 after all 20 overs. That's probably a pretty good recovery, all things considered.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 12, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The kid did it with his first three balls but it wasn't the first three balls of the innings.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Appleseed posted:

I actually saw this live in a club game at Cornwall CC in Auckland one year

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dougie just pinned Faf right in the balls. :cool:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Google tells me Chaminda Vaas did it against Bangladesh in a World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjJUqWKIVQ

VAAS WAS poo poo...UGLY poo poo....HE WAS A DICK AND NO BETTER THAN ZAHEER..IF HE WAS THAT GUD THEN HE SHOULD HAVE WON ATLEAST 1 TEST IN INDIA AND AUSTRALIA....LANKA STILL WINLESS IN INDIA AND AUSTRALIA ? ALSO VAAS COULDNT MAKE LANKA WIN IN SOUTH AFRICA AS WELL

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I was reading Cricinfo comments about India being a team in transition, and I thought I'd check the numbers. For the two XIs playing in the last match:

Total number of caps:
India 1072, England 589

Number of players with more than 50 caps:
India 7, England 5

India's XI had four players (Yuvraj 278, Dhoni 215, Raina 155, Gambhir 143) with more caps than the most capped player in England's XI (Pietersen 128).

If that's "in transition" then goodness knows what England are in.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wish we'd try pinging them on the wickets next.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

gif or it didn't happen.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

VAAS WAS poo poo...UGLY poo poo....HE WAS A DICK AND NO BETTER THAN ZAHEER..IF HE WAS THAT GUD THEN HE SHOULD HAVE WON ATLEAST 1 TEST IN INDIA AND AUSTRALIA....LANKA STILL WINLESS IN INDIA AND AUSTRALIA ? ALSO VAAS COULDNT MAKE LANKA WIN IN SOUTH AFRICA AS WELL

Noice.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 12, 2013

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I loving love great left-arm pacemen who can swing it, few better than Vaas, I remember he had Gilchrist's number in particular

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You have to be pretty ordinary to make Dean Elgar look good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

You have to be pretty ordinary to make Dean Elgar look good.

It's getting to the point that I'm almost kind of impressed that Jeets hasn't succumbed to depression or even outright killed himself yet.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

It's getting to the point that I'm almost kind of impressed that Jeets hasn't succumbed to depression or even outright killed himself yet.

Wasn't there a recent test where he looked like a competent test offspinner? He's really bad though, Bruce Martin would have been a better choice. We really need Nethula to develop rapidly, although last I heard he had some long term injury to his spinning fingers. No idea when Verttori is back but he's hardly a wicket threat these days either :sigh:.

On a more positive note, Ross Taylor confirmed he is available for the England series.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nethula won't be picked because he's a known oval office and not in the good way.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Nethula won't be picked because he's a known oval office and not in the good way.

Go on...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

In short, he was told he needed to improve some deficiencies, disagreed and didn't so was dropped.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

In short, he was told he needed to improve some deficiencies, disagreed and didn't so was dropped.

Haha Sinclair must've been in his ear.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Guptill :allears:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Christ this is brutal

edit: I'm gonna stay away from the radio and newspaper articles spouting the same old 'gutless' drivel tomorrow - South Africa are just much, much better than us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're doing better than I expected. I thought Amla wouldn't post an average this series due to never getting out.

Saffers to win by an innings and 250.

goatface fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 12, 2013

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Oh no you did not just get out to Robin loving Pietersen :negative:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might get past 45.

MIGHT.

edit - They did it! Hooray!

goatface fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 12, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Frustrating performance from the lads that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Frustrating performance from the lads that.

You could actually see McCullum's brain break when Robin Pieterson was bought on, after that sustained pressure from the seamers he was hell-bent on getting some payback. Really wish he could have continued to grit it out to silence some of the unjustified criticism of him personally. I think Flynn is done as a New Zealand player, and Guptill really needs to be dropped as well

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

McCullum lacks the nous or the patience to be a captain, let alone a test standard player. The manner in which he's usually dismissed speaks for itself and anyone with at least half a brain should be able to see that. Not really sure what that says about the Black Caps coaching staff.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

McCullum lacks the nous or the patience to be a captain, let alone a test standard player. The manner in which he's usually dismissed speaks for itself and anyone with at least half a brain should be able to see that. Not really sure what that says about the Black Caps coaching staff.

He has more nous and patience than any of our other players though. I think it's really unfair to look at dismissals in isolation, eventually we have to actually score some runs to progress an innings, and usually that entails taking on some more risk. McCullum is singled out because of who he is but he is the least of our problems right now, it smacks of talkback radio mentality to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

He has more nous and patience than any of our other players though. I think it's really unfair to look at dismissals in isolation, eventually we have to actually score some runs to progress an innings, and usually that entails taking on some more risk. McCullum is singled out because of who he is but he is the least of our problems right now, it smacks of talkback radio mentality to me.

You're right in that the remainder of the batting order is actually worse than McCullum in that respect (McCullum being the current second highest scorer in the NZ first innings with a whopping 13 speaks for itself), but it would be nice to have a captain (or a top order batsman) that could set a platform instead of having one that swings willy nilly at everything like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

You're right in that the remainder of the batting order is actually worse than McCullum in that respect (McCullum being the current second highest scorer in the NZ first innings with a whopping 13 speaks for itself), but it would be nice to have a captain (or a top order batsman) that could set a platform instead of having one that swings willy nilly at everything like an idiot.

That's not what happened at all though, he scored 13 off 61 balls and looked like the only batsman capable of withstanding the South African seamers. He saw a rare chance to cash in when Peterson came on and unfortunately got a bit too loose but I can sympathise with the mindset - eventually Steyn or Morkel in that form will bowl a delivery that you just cannot handle so you need to maximise scoring chances when they come along.

• Locked thread