Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Average Bear posted:

Why is it every time someones posts one of these, western Europe is always a clusterfuck? France is ALWAYS collapsed, the HRE is still scattered, Poland/Bohemia/Austria is blobbing it up. You would think at least France would form or something.

edit: Talking EU3 in general, not EU3+. France should be a pretty powerful force, but almost always collapses without fail.

I think Paradox is trying to compensate for the pre-DW days, where Le Blob would consistently form and be the final boss for most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

telcontar posted:

There's only so much they can do without access to the game code. Also he wasn't complaining about uncivs specifically.

Even if it's not particularly fun I would say it's still far more interesting than in vanilla, since there's a bunch of new events and decisions specifically for uncivs.

Yeah I might give PDM a shot. It was amazing though. Literally no colonies split off. France never claimed Brittany. Normandy belonged to the English. Other than that and the North German Federation (Germany, Poland, Lithuania) Europe was identical to it at the start.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
PDM is for vicky you know right? Whereas that sounds like eu3 you're talking about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Goes to the stockpile. Remember that demand is actually not equivalent to the ability to acquire goods from the market and your tariffs might be too high for those who are supposed to be buying the cement. Your factory is having problems with profits because you don't have ready access to coal (and your tariffs are making imported coal more expensive for the capitalists who own the factory), either conquer somewhere that has it or sphere them if you are a great power. Madagascar is a great source if you can invade them before France event-annexes the country.

This is incorrect. Unsold goods just plain vanish, never to be seen again. The only time goods enter your stockpile is if you have an order set for those goods, and if that's the case then they're not unsold (you're buying them). One of the many reasons V2's trade system is stupid and not fun. The rest of what Zearoth said is correct though. The best way to industrialize is to use exported goods to create imported goods. So if you're exporting a lot of glass and grain, and your POPs are importing a lot of liquor, then you should build a distillery. You can see what goods are being exported and imported on the "activity" portion of the trade screen.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Does the AI in EU3 ever give up on missions? I'm playing as Castille, and I just got a "get good relations with Portugal" mission. Of course, Portugal has a mission to take a province from me, so they're not having any of it. Is there anything I can do here beyond "wait five more years for a new mission?" (My previous mission was also dumb and I skipped it.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

The best way to industrialize is to use exported goods to create imported goods. So if you're exporting a lot of glass and grain, and your POPs are importing a lot of liquor, then you should build a distillery. You can see what goods are being exported and imported on the "activity" portion of the trade screen.
:aaaaa: I feel like someone just let me in on some huge secret. It sounds so simple and makes so much sense! I have GOT to try this.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nolanar posted:

Does the AI in EU3 ever give up on missions? I'm playing as Castille, and I just got a "get good relations with Portugal" mission. Of course, Portugal has a mission to take a province from me, so they're not having any of it. Is there anything I can do here beyond "wait five more years for a new mission?" (My previous mission was also dumb and I skipped it.)

Ya, they do. Sometimes. I don't know why.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So, the last HOI3 expansion came with a custom game mode editor so you can mess around with a nation's units, technology, political alignment, etc. For anyone who's played it, how much freedom are you afforded with this? Because I'd definitely be willing to reinstall HOI3 and put down :20bux: for the ability to, say, turn France into a military superpower and crush Germany with a massive guerre-éclair, or turn Persia into a Comintern powerhouse or something.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The vanilla packaging is pretty limited. You're limited by a certain number of points, which for most nations is enough to..slightly influence their neutrality or turn them slightly more aligned to the Comintern, you can get pretty far militarily by reworking your research and deployed units though. It's pretty easy to change the number of points though. However you still can't change your government or anything so you're country will still be exactly the same except Comintern.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The diplomacy aspect of hoi3 custom games is blah but you can reset all your starting techs and use the research points to research techs with no cap on how advanced you can go. You can also disband units to get production points to spend on having new units/buildings from the get go.

Edit: your idea for France is doable but France has a pretty big handicap manpower wise.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Yeah I gave HoI3 another chance after a Steam sale with all of the gameplay DLC and that one gives you so little flexibility that it actually feels like a ripoff. Really didn't help my already negative opinion of the game any.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

ZearothK posted:

I think Paradox is trying to compensate for the pre-DW days, where Le Blob would consistently form and be the final boss for most games.

Was it only in DW where they gimped France? I only started playing with IN, but I remember France being an absolute monster there while being much, much weaker in HTTT.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

France is a monster in vanilla DW as well. Short of bad luck (War with Spain and Burgundy?) they usually become a major European and colonial power.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vegetable posted:

France is a monster in vanilla DW as well. Short of bad luck (War with Spain and Burgundy?) they usually become a major European and colonial power.

To be fair becoming a key player in Europe and being a colonial power are historically accurate, it's grabbing half the HRE and Spain is where France started getting a bit ridiculous.

Also RE: TFH custom scenario, I think it would become way more fun if in a future patch they added the option to just press a button and instead of redistributing the nation's points. I want to play as a great power Philippines drat it :colbert:. It'd be loving awesome.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

France was definitely still a monster in HttT (whether I was in the HRE or, say, Byzantium or Russia) and I feel like it's still pretty good in DW. The game of EU3+ that I finished a week or two ago had me repeatedly breaking up Burgundy as it almost reunited France two or three times, though.

My Poland also got into a slapfight with Hungary, then lost a bunch of wars to Vitebsk, which stayed strong enough to team up with Novgorod and slowly sniped Russia's western cores. Poland ultimately got swallowed by Bohemia and was reduced to about two provinces. Russia pushed east, but lost the occasional war with Central Asian nomads and China; never worse than temporarily ceding a province or two.

Speaking of which, has anyone else with underperforming Russias in EU3+ noticed that they're constantly crippled with rebels? I get that it's (1) historical and (2) something that was the case with vanilla, but nerfing Russia's rebel chances might get them to do a little better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For HOI3 Custom Games: Go to your "...\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\cgm\RoadToWar" folder and open up the templates.txt file. In it you'll find the number of diplomacy, research and production points you're given to work with.

Crank them up several thousand points so you can start with a nation that has zero neutrality, can join the faction of its choice, and has enough free production to start with triple digit IC and/or several dozen Corps.

Yes, the default is useful mostly for just reconfiguring your armed forces into a more standardized format, but it's easy enough to mod to be able to let you do alt-history stuff with it. Hell, I think Paradox should build on this - give it enough functionality and you've basically got yourself a graphical scenario editor. Imagine the possibilities if you could edit province ownership and province stats, then port that bad boy over to the other Clausewitz games.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Rudi Starnberg posted:

PDM is for vicky you know right? Whereas that sounds like eu3 you're talking about.

Oh I know. Europe looks more like the end of EU3 or even some start dates in CK2. Since none of the colonies broke off from the UK it was basically undefeatable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Finally formed Germany in EU3+ here. Thanks to Kersh and the few others who suggested occupying Wien and waiting for them to defect. I had to wait six (not five) years for the event to pop up but it was very useful. Gaining German cores and picking up the Revolution & Counter-revolution NI afterwards meant I got into a busy period of consolidation. Certainly better than all that waiting.

One thing I realised is staying at war can be the only sane way to keep your vassals. I have around 20 vassals and I can't keep all of them happy. If I don't have a diplomat when they break away, they often find allies and gurantees, making the war of re-vassalisation very complicated. My solution has been to stay in a continual state of war because they cannot break away when allied in a war.

I don't remember having this problem in vanilla DW, I can't even remember seeing one vassal break away when I was a major power. It's kinda crazy.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Yeah, I don't think you're meant to have that many/strong vassals in EU3+. In vanilla I've only seen them break away if you exceed your infamy limit by a considerable amount, but in EU3+ they compare their combined power to your power and start getting unruly when they become stronger than you.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Vegetable posted:

I think that France in general is pretty fine in DW, but the problem is that it's very easy for France to end up at war with England, Burgundy and the Emperor at the same time since Dijon is in an imperial province in Vanilla, which obviously fucks them up pretty bad.

e; France should definitely be a huge monster of a nation in EU3 after it gets over feudalism though.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 12, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

For HOI3 Custom Games: Go to your "...\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\cgm\RoadToWar" folder and open up the templates.txt file. In it you'll find the number of diplomacy, research and production points you're given to work with.

Crank them up several thousand points so you can start with a nation that has zero neutrality, can join the faction of its choice, and has enough free production to start with triple digit IC and/or several dozen Corps.

Yes, the default is useful mostly for just reconfiguring your armed forces into a more standardized format, but it's easy enough to mod to be able to let you do alt-history stuff with it. Hell, I think Paradox should build on this - give it enough functionality and you've basically got yourself a graphical scenario editor. Imagine the possibilities if you could edit province ownership and province stats, then port that bad boy over to the other Clausewitz games.

Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to my French blitzkrieg :getin:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Wiz: Forming France from Burgundy does not remove the "same culture group" penalty for any French cultures you have not already accepted at that point. What's more, forming France (with the "form french nation" decision, not the "burgundinian france" decision) disallows the "Allow X culture" events, because you have to be Burgundy to use them, and France is not considered a union for French cultures.

Edit: I am a fool.

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 12, 2013

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Noreaus posted:

Wiz: Forming France from Burgundy does not remove the "same culture group" penalty for any French cultures you have not already accepted at that point. What's more, forming France (with the "form french nation" decision, not the "burgundinian france" decision) disallows the "Allow X culture" events, because you have to be Burgundy to use them, and France is not considered a union for French cultures.

EU3+ doesn't have cultural unions; you have to make decisions on individual cultures in provinces you have cores on.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Nightblade posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're meant to have that many/strong vassals in EU3+. In vanilla I've only seen them break away if you exceed your infamy limit by a considerable amount, but in EU3+ they compare their combined power to your power and start getting unruly when they become stronger than you.

This actually worked to my advantage after uniting Germany. Except for Hungary (which I inherited by luck and promptly released so that I didn't have to handle all the fighting myself, all of my vassals were German minors. They'd get mad at me one by one, then I could pounce on them the next day with a Reconquest CB and let the other minors do the fighting for me. In vanilla DW I probably would've had to go through each one and (1) cancel vassalization, (2) break our alliance, and (3) declare a reconquest or diploannex them one by one.

The downside to forming Germany is the way it kills the HRE. :negative: My bonuses! :negative:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Ogianres posted:

EU3+ doesn't have cultural unions; you have to make decisions on individual cultures in provinces you have cores on.

Yes, I know that - But those decisions are disabled after changing to France, as the decisions listed in the menu are only available to Burgundy.

edit: I was looking at the wrong events, I am a fool.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So, for the first time, I might actually play EU3 to the end date! A question about "dynamic colonies" like in MiscMods and EU3+, if I colonized Mexico with, say, Byzantium, would their leader names be Greek? I was looking through the culture list and noticed that none of the colonial cultures have predefined names aside from dynasties.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Raserys posted:

So, for the first time, I might actually play EU3 to the end date!

Related question - has anyone ever managed to play EU3 all the way to the end?

Personally, I've never quite gotten there. I think the furthest I ever got was one of my first games, as France, which petered out somewhere in the early-mid 18th century.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Story of every P-Dox game for me. Evantually you run into a point where the game doesn't present a challenge and you're just going through the motions. It requires either an iron will or a VERY interesting game.

Only game I've finished to the end screen (hell a few times at that) is victoria because the time period is much shorter.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I got within a century of finishing a game as Ming until my save files got corrupted. This was HttT, though- I don't think I've gotten even to the 17th century with Divine Wind.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think I've finished maybe three games of EU3 to completion - one as France, where I basically couldn't be bothered with colonising and decided to just take over the HRE instead, one as what ended up as Italy (starting as one of the Italian minors - don't remember which one) and one as the Ottomans expanding through the middle east. It's actually quite satisfying to see the end screen, but it's just a shame that by that point there really isn't much challenge left in the game beyond rebel whack-a-mole and the same bitter-rivalry wars with the other blob superpowers.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We once managed to get to the 1790s in a MP game, but that was different, since players offer a more interesting challenge anyway.

I've had some singleplayer games that came to the end, most of the time I only finish them by switching nations in the 17th century or so, which provides a whole set of new challenges, including the beast of an empire I've made before. It feels like starting a new game in an alternate scenario.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's one of the problems of EU3 - there isn't really much to do late-game. Yeah you've formed Germany, took over half of Europe and colonised America. Then there's nothing left to do. I wish the game added more random challenges with events like civil wars or massive uprisings. They could be optional so people who just want to simulate their version of history can turn it off.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just finished a game of EU3+ (the first time I actually reached the end of a Paradox game :toot:) as Burgundy where I basically just got my cores and polished my borders a bit before going maximum modernizer for the rest of the game:

I played with AI restraint on up until 1800. My general observations is that the Ottomans are to weak (but to be fair so have I never seen a mod that manages to get the Ottomans right without making them stupidly overpowered, and my game probably isn't the best example either since they ended up at war with half of Europe early on and then had huge rebel problems for half a century which led to Byzantium owning all of Greece and stuff) and AI nations are really bad at finishing off OPMs. Both OPM Wales and Finland have remained independent for most of the game even though Britain and Sweden have declared war on them several times and they haven't had any major allies.

e; revolutionary France was formed around 1800 but then they didn't actually do anything. Maybe because they were at war with colonial revolters. Also France would magically regain their cores on me occasionally which was a bit of a pain.

e2; oh, and nobody ever colonized Goa.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 13, 2013

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
Is Paradox still working on Vicky 2 or have they just given up? Are they planning on making a Vicky 3? I just really love the emphasis on industrialization and the political aspects, but Vicky 2 is just so bland and boring I can'y bring myself to even play it anymore. Any news whatsoever?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Toward the end of EU3 games that I decide to see through past about 1700 (usually to see how colonial rebels and revolutions might shake out), I tend to set myself some sort of goal for the countries around me, like resurrecting some other country, liberating as many OPMs as possible, or helping my allies grab a bunch of land. The game is probably about 50 year too long, though, which is why I can't understand mods like Death and Taxes pushing the startdate bck even further.

Steppe Wolfe I can at least "understand" because it's in a category of its own.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hypnorotic posted:

Is Paradox still working on Vicky 2 or have they just given up? Are they planning on making a Vicky 3? I just really love the emphasis on industrialization and the political aspects, but Vicky 2 is just so bland and boring I can'y bring myself to even play it anymore. Any news whatsoever?

They've been hinting that Vicky 2 isn't done with, but nothing concrete yet as far as news goes.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kainser posted:

Just finished a game of EU3+ (the first time I actually reached the end of a Paradox game :toot:) as Burgundy where I basically just got my cores and polished my borders a bit before going maximum modernizer for the rest of the game:

I played with AI restraint on up until 1800. My general observations is that the Ottomans are to weak (but to be fair so have I never seen a mod that manages to get the Ottomans right without making them stupidly overpowered, and my game probably isn't the best example either since they ended up at war with half of Europe early on and then had huge rebel problems for half a century which led to Byzantium owning all of Greece and stuff) and AI nations are really bad at finishing off OPMs. Both OPM Wales and Finland have remained independent for most of the game even though Britain and Sweden have declared war on them several times and they haven't had any major allies.

e; revolutionary France was formed around 1800 but then they didn't actually do anything. Maybe because they were at war with colonial revolters. Also France would magically regain their cores on me occasionally which was a bit of a pain.

e2; oh, and nobody ever colonized Goa.

Please for the love of everything tell me that the pink in Mexico isn't Cornwall. PLEASE.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm fairly sure those are just Mexico's colors :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pylons posted:

They've been hinting that Vicky 2 isn't done with, but nothing concrete yet as far as news goes.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall one of the devs (probably Darkrenown, he's the most active of the lot here) saying that making DLC/expansions using the old, pre-CK2 system is a lot trickier than making more modular, CK2-style patches, which might explain the delay. Then again, maybe they just keep looking back at Vic2, contemplating the complexity and difficulty of trying to fix its problems without creating whole new unexpected issues, and putting it off for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So is AHD worth it?

• Locked thread