Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

It'd probably be okay to do it occasionally (no more than once a week I guess), but yeah I'd imagine that'd be too much protein/calcium if you gave too regularly.

:black101:

Super would probably know better/more though. And Super, goddamnit, where is the new thread

Fraction fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I've done that. Won't hurt them.

edit: NO YOU WERENT SUPPOSED TO ASK ME ABOUT THE NEW THREAD!!!!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sorry, I know this question probably gets asked all the time, but I'm wondering about cage sizes. I've been shopping around lately because I've been interested in getting myself a nice little group of fuzzy roommates. I looked at the Martin cages linked in the OP, but I'm still not really confident on just what the minimum size for a rat-livable cage ought to be.

I found a (what seems to me) like a really nice one in a pet store, but I'm not really sure it's big enough. It's got two levels of 60cm by 40cm, plus two full-width wood platforms of about half again that each, so about 180cm by 40cm total (about 70 by 16 inches), with combined height of about a meter. Is that enough? If so, how many rats could I fit into there without running into problems? I don't really want to get less than 3 because they need social contact so much, but I also don't really have the money to get anything substantially bigger.

I'm hoping someone can help me out there.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Have you tried the rat cage calculator? http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Generally speaking though, each adult rat needs something like two cubic feet of livable space. With rats I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "too much" cage space though, so bigger is always better.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

What's the exact measurements for height/depth/width of the cage overall?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pew! Pew! posted:

Have you tried the rat cage calculator? http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Generally speaking though, each adult rat needs something like two cubic feet of livable space. With rats I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "too much" cage space though, so bigger is always better.
No, I hadn't tried that. Thanks! Ratty calculator says up to 4, so that's good news already.

Fraction posted:

What's the exact measurements for height/depth/width of the cage overall?
60 by 40 by 100 centimeters, with two levels plus two wooden inlays as I described it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh I got confused by the 180cm and poo poo. But yeah I was only going to input the dimensions into the calculator.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

The plastic thing Ange is sitting on in the first pic is this toy, designed to shame stupid animals. It has three levels, and right now they have gotten 2/4 treats from level 1. I think they might end up having an easier time with level 2, though, since level 1 seems easier for bigger animals. They're also having a lot of fun with the tent and tunnel combo! And, of course, everyone likes a good ol' beef knuckle.

edit:
casa de las ratas

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 6, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Whateva, double posting some rat pix. My rats are smarter than yours.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

How long does it take you to pull everything out to clean, IO?

My friend's mum (who has Dobby and Sirius) has a dog brain puzzle for hers. I need to get my puzzle toy back from a friend and stick it in for my rattards.

Speaking of which,

Mad Moxxi loves da bones

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
It takes about 15 minutes to clean the cage with my BF. I take everything (that's not attached to the cage) out, wipe down the panels and igloo, and put everything back with clean fleece, while he changes the litter, food, and water.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:qq: You and your stinking litter trained rats! :qq:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
How long does it take you to clean out your double? I'm kind of always tempted to get the CN second level but it's so huge and I feel like cleaning would be a PITA. But...the rats...

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

We got another girl today.

IMG_0348 by cerebruminc, on Flickr

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was taking some pictures, and it's dawned on me that Ada's eyes are probably not black like I've always thought, but a very deep ruby. It's hard to tell in person except in very bright light.

It would explain the excessive amount of headbobbing she's always done in comparison to the other three, maybe. Thoughts?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

How long does it take you to clean out your double? I'm kind of always tempted to get the CN second level but it's so huge and I feel like cleaning would be a PITA. But...the rats...

If my rats were on fleece & litter trained, it'd probably take me like half an hour. Since they're on a thin layer of cardboard, it instead takes over an hour because I have to use wire wool to scrub off the poop stuck in the corners. :argh:

You should definitely expand if you can afford it. After my five, I'm planning a max of 3 rats at a time, and they'll be staying in the Aventura.

RoboRodent posted:

I was taking some pictures, and it's dawned on me that Ada's eyes are probably not black like I've always thought, but a very deep ruby. It's hard to tell in person except in very bright light.

It would explain the excessive amount of headbobbing she's always done in comparison to the other three, maybe. Thoughts?

She does look ruby eyed to me. My PEW, Alice, sways and bobs at me so it's very likely just that.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

After my five, I'm planning a max of 3 rats at a time

I don't believe you :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

I don't believe you :colbert:

shut uppppppp or the rat gods will hear youuuu

In all seriousness, five rats is a LOT of rats. In the evenings, I get fairly swamped trying to get hold of everyone at once. I can't have them all free ranging, because there's just too many to keep an eye on. They all get snuggles, but if I had two/three I'd be able to get them out more and wouldn't feel guilty about my endless favouritism*.

* you all, being rat ladies, must know that favouritism just can't not happen with rats. Chell is my bestie :colbert:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fraction posted:

* you all, being rat ladies, must know that favouritism just can't not happen with rats. Chell is my bestie :colbert:

I try so hard to not have favourites. And then Molly comes bounding across the room to greet me, drapes herself over my shoulder, and falls asleep there despite really being too big to stay there comfortably.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm sooo excited to be getting a little baby boy rat in a few months. BUT when my bf emailed the vet asking when he would be willing to neuter, the email he got back from the receptionist just said "As long as the testicles have descended 4 months." I know ratballs generally descend around 4 weeks, which is when a lot of vets are willing to neuter, so I'm hoping that the receptionist just misheard or that the vet will be able to be convinced to do it sooner. The breeder's willing to hold onto him as long as we need (so that he can keep getting rat company), but it'd be a serious bummer if he couldn't come home until 4 months. I was expecting more like two =\

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Invalid Octopus posted:

I'm sooo excited to be getting a little baby boy rat in a few months. BUT when my bf emailed the vet asking when he would be willing to neuter, the email he got back from the receptionist just said "As long as the testicles have descended 4 months." I know ratballs generally descend around 4 weeks, which is when a lot of vets are willing to neuter, so I'm hoping that the receptionist just misheard or that the vet will be able to be convinced to do it sooner. The breeder's willing to hold onto him as long as we need (so that he can keep getting rat company), but it'd be a serious bummer if he couldn't come home until 4 months. I was expecting more like two =\

I think it's more of a rat size thing. Our vet always liked them to be a little older and bigger too. But yay rat boy!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Invalid Octopus posted:

I've heard 8 weeks too. Is he your regular rat vet?

Edit: RM is probably right, it might make it an easier operation. You could check with other vets.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 10, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Big Bug Hug posted:

I've heard 8 weeks too. Is he your regular rat vet?

Edit: RM is probably right, it might make it an easier operation.

Reading online, I saw everything from 4 weeks to 6 months, I was just hoping it would be closer to the 4 weeks end. He is our regular vet, and he's been great so far (if on the expensive side, but we're in a big city and he's the best rat vet here).

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

yeah afaik the smaller they are the harder it is to gauge the amount of sedative to use, and so they tend to err on the side of caution and wait until they're a bit larger and easier (and therefore safer) to sedate. At least, that's what my rat vet told me when I had a rat vet.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Aww. Four months just seems too long to not bring him home. Can you house him separate from your girls until he can be snipped?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Big Bug Hug posted:

Aww. Four months just seems too long to not bring him home. Can you house him separate from your girls until he can be snipped?

Yeah I can, I'd just prefer not to. I have an extra cage he'll have to be in for a week or so after surgery anyway. But if he's with the breeder he'll be hanging out with rat bros and that's obviously the nicer thing to do, rather than keep him isolated for months. Here's hoping the vet is willing to be flexible on the age, though.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
What makes happy whenever I am sad? Rat yawns, rat yawns make me happy. So I told my boyfriend in May I am getting more rats or a cat. This is a ploy to get him to give in, he absolutely doesn't want a cat. They go in my animal room anyway so he doesn't have to deal with them. Cats knock poo poo over man, I love them though, don't misinterpret, but its time for more rats.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Plus, if you have enough rats, they can combine like Voltron to form a cat.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Yeah I can, I'd just prefer not to. I have an extra cage he'll have to be in for a week or so after surgery anyway. But if he's with the breeder he'll be hanging out with rat bros and that's obviously the nicer thing to do, rather than keep him isolated for months. Here's hoping the vet is willing to be flexible on the age, though.

Only solution is two boys rats so they have company until they're snipped. :colbert:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Rodent Mortician posted:

Only solution is two boys rats so they have company until they're snipped. :colbert:

Don't say that, my BF reads this thread and aspires to owning All The Rats :mad:

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Invalid Octopus posted:

Don't say that, my BF reads this thread and aspires to owning All The Rats :mad:

Too late. We're screwed now.

Edit: No, really. All The Rats.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

You should definitely expand if you can afford it.

Rodent Mortician posted:

You guys are both really really bad influences and I'm considering both of these now :mad:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

You guys are both really really bad influences and I'm considering both of these now :mad:

MORE RATS FOR THE RAT GODS THREAD.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

Well, if you don't get them snipped, he'll get what he wants.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Ok guys, I need your help here. I recently moved and it was stressful for my two older boys so they decided to get lice. My vet has them on ivermectin once a week with lice baths every week as well. He said nothing else was wrong with them and I trust his opinion, he's awesome. I was going to give it two more weeks and then take them back to the vet, unless one shows signs of something else, is this a good plan or should I go back sooner?

Also, can the lice spread to me, because ew.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

The lice are species specific and wont spread to you, and yup, ivermectin 1-2 times a week for 3 weeks is pretty standard.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Superconsndar posted:

The lice are species specific and wont spread to you, and yup, ivermectin 1-2 times a week for 3 weeks is pretty standard.

Maybe if you'd get around to making a new thread you could use my information on self-dosing with ivermectin. :> Totally just a hint.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Thanks! I'll keep covering myself when I hold them anyway, because again, ew.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Girls. Giiiirls. You have toys, including a badass piņata that is full of treats. Why do you insist on ignoring the toys and repeatedly ripping the roof off of your house and chewing the bars, instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Because rats are adorable little assholes