Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

I'm looking to get rid of a line from my plan and am not sure how to do it. My original lines contract expired last September and I'd like to cancel that one but I've read that since it was the primary/original line that it would be a problem. What's the easiest way to go about doing this without messing everything up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I've seen a few posts about assumptions of liability but wasn't sure how things have changed since the plan changes and stuff. My wife and I took over her parents plan when her father died, we have 4 lines, 2 4g smartphones with unlimited. We both have discounts through our employer (I think mine is 22% and hers is whatever comcast offers) that we want to take advantage of but I don't think we can with the account in her moms name?

Is it possible to switch the account into our names to take advantage of the discounts without losing unlimited, or take our 2 phones and phone numbers to a new contract without losing unlimited? We would both like to keep our current phones (or upgrade to a better one, I have a Rezound and a Razr HD might be nice) and have had our numbers for years.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What would an ETF be on Verizon for Verizon when I'm 19 months through my contract? Basically I'm debating on holding out until that's over with to get T-Mobile with their new 500+unlimited plan for $60 a month (buying a phone outright) or upgrading at my 20th month next month to pay $40 for a shared 1400 min, unlimited texts, and 2gb of (much more reliable and widespread) data and signing on for another two years.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lblitzer posted:

What would an ETF be on Verizon for Verizon when I'm 19 months through my contract? Basically I'm debating on holding out until that's over with to get T-Mobile with their new 500+unlimited plan for $60 a month (buying a phone outright) or upgrading at my 20th month next month to pay $40 for a shared 1400 min, unlimited texts, and 2gb of (much more reliable and widespread) data and signing on for another two years.
http://www.myrateplan.com/contract_termination_fees/

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Will Verizon give out early upgrades? I'm 23 days away from my upgrade and I really just want to get my current phone out of here. It's performing really bad/slow, the battery life even with a battery I bought 2 months ago is only a few hours, I dropped it a few times a few months back and have these two big black spots that take up parts of the screen, still functional, but make it hard to text and read. I really don't feel like waiting a few more weeks and I'm just hoping they'd let me pass out of some kind of pity/close enough call.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Save Target As posted:

Will Verizon give out early upgrades? I'm 23 days away from my upgrade and I really just want to get my current phone out of here. It's performing really bad/slow, the battery life even with a battery I bought 2 months ago is only a few hours, I dropped it a few times a few months back and have these two big black spots that take up parts of the screen, still functional, but make it hard to text and read. I really don't feel like waiting a few more weeks and I'm just hoping they'd let me pass out of some kind of pity/close enough call.

Only way to know is to ask.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Their official position is, "yes." But only 14 days prior to the actual date. i.e. Jan 15th you could upgrade Jan 1st

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Save Target As posted:

Yes, but its variable. I was offered an early upgrade (2 months before contract up) for a Razr HD Maxx, but not valid for an iPhone 5. It is entirely variable on what CSR you talk to and the manager for the day.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

BJA posted:

I've seen a few posts about assumptions of liability but wasn't sure how things have changed since the plan changes and stuff. My wife and I took over her parents plan when her father died, we have 4 lines, 2 4g smartphones with unlimited. We both have discounts through our employer (I think mine is 22% and hers is whatever comcast offers) that we want to take advantage of but I don't think we can with the account in her moms name?

Is it possible to switch the account into our names to take advantage of the discounts without losing unlimited, or take our 2 phones and phone numbers to a new contract without losing unlimited? We would both like to keep our current phones (or upgrade to a better one, I have a Rezound and a Razr HD might be nice) and have had our numbers for years.
Even if she isn't the actual Owner of the account she can authorize either her or yourself to complete the AOL by calling customer service provided she is listed as Account Manager and knows the password and or last 4 of SSN. (Even if you're not listed as Account Manager presently you can add Account Managers if you have registered as Owner on the My Verizon website.)

You can keep the unlimited data plans even after the AOL transfer. However you will have to move to tiered plans if you get 2-year subsidized pricing on new phones.

Also I just looked up the Comcast discount and it should be 20% so your 22% is probably better.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

yotoc posted:

I'm looking to get rid of a line from my plan and am not sure how to do it. My original lines contract expired last September and I'd like to cancel that one but I've read that since it was the primary/original line that it would be a problem. What's the easiest way to go about doing this without messing everything up?
The notion of primary / secondary lines was mostly eliminated with the transition to Account Level Pricing a year or so ago. Almost 100% of standard (Nationwide) plans have been converted by now. Unless you're on a weird old Alltel plan this shouldn't be an issue. Even if that is the case there are work-arounds.

Since you'll have to call customer service to actually do the disconnect they can best advise you on how to proceed.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there an outage right now or way to find out if there is one? Neither my girlfriend nor I can call or text, and she has no data on her 3G phone, but LTE works fine on mine. Our phones both show good signal. We're in Kansas if that matters.

e: it's working now, but I'd still like to know if there's a place that gives outage statuses.
Not availible to the public. Customer service and Tech Support can check for you if you call in. I don't see anything in the alerts archive for Kansas for the 6th. Must have been sunspots.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

ProjektorBoy posted:

You should be able to go to Settings > "More Settings" (under Wireless and network) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Then press Menu and hopefully you'll end up with the option to add APN's. The option appears to be disabled right now while I'm on a Verizon SIM but I hope they wouldn't cripple it that hard.

Nope, APN is disabled even when your on a different SIM.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I think my launch-day Bionic may have poo poo the bed. I was charging it from my girlfriend's machine last night (so maybe I can blame Dell's lovely USB power delivery) and she said it was boot-cycling continuously every couple of minutes. That trend continued after I got it some real power, and now it gets no service and reboots about a minute after startup. Tried a battery pull, and it looks like my 2760mAH extended battery is swelling. That's probably related but it still does it with the dinky little OEM battery installed. I'm signed up for Total Equipment Coverage, so am I just out $100 for a "like-new" replacement Bionic? More importantly, will it affect my unlimited data?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

redstormpopcorn posted:

I think my launch-day Bionic may have poo poo the bed. I was charging it from my girlfriend's machine last night (so maybe I can blame Dell's lovely USB power delivery) and she said it was boot-cycling continuously every couple of minutes. That trend continued after I got it some real power, and now it gets no service and reboots about a minute after startup. Tried a battery pull, and it looks like my 2760mAH extended battery is swelling. That's probably related but it still does it with the dinky little OEM battery installed. I'm signed up for Total Equipment Coverage, so am I just out $100 for a "like-new" replacement Bionic? More importantly, will it affect my unlimited data?

This happened to my store's demo unit the exact same way. Swelled battery and all. I would try a new battery before anything, I'd imagine you can find one for less than $50.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

redstormpopcorn posted:

Don't forget to try a factory reset. They're pretty much the only remedy allowed when boot loops are afoot.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my iPhone appears to have just randomly died, and i'm due for a upgrade on 2/13. Is there anyway if I call and beg them that they'd move the upgrade up less than a month? :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Abu Dave posted:

So my iPhone appears to have just randomly died, and i'm due for a upgrade on 2/13. Is there anyway if I call and beg them that they'd move the upgrade up less than a month? :(

Nobody knows unless you try.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, was just wondering if there was precedant, as i'd have to walk into town to find a phone booth and call them and rather not bother if there's not even the slightest of chance. :v:

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Yes, but its variable. I was offered an early upgrade (2 months before contract up) for a Razr HD Maxx, but not valid for an iPhone 5. It is entirely variable on what CSR you talk to and the manager for the day.

Well luckily that's the exact phone I want, so fingers crossed! My phone today just decided to only want to charge when the charging cable is perfectly perpendicular to the port, probably because the port itself is now a little loose. I'll be going to Verizon today to state my plea.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Welp, took my Bionic to the Verizon store at lunch and it rebooted in the middle of a factory reset. Replacement is on the way. Supposedly Asurion has a ton of Bionics to hand out, so hopefully I don't have to play refurb roulette.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Here's a question that should have been answered on Google a million and one times but somehow just isn't available as a solid yes or no answer: Can I use my AT&T locked, Gevey unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 4S with firmware version 5.1.1 on Verizon?

My current situation is that I'm on T-Mobile right now, but my contract's up so I'm jumping to Verizon next week, and I'm planning on getting a Note 2 :whatup:. Though, I'd like to keep my iPhone 4S functional as a spare phone (and in case the Note 2 sucks), and my Google research has taught me:

-The 4S is a "world phone" because it can use both GSM and CDMA I guess, so naturally it should support Verizon's network, right?
-The 4 definitely won't unlock because it doesn't have both radios
-I guess Verizon and Sprint-branded 4Ses just won't unlock for GSM carriers?
-And I have to have my iPhone activated by Verizon itself I guess?

Yeah, conflicting information all around, and even the girl I spoke to at the Verizon store today didn't know. So, with my particular iPhone 4S, can I use it with Verizon?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'm gonna say no to that one, simply because the way it works on CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint is that they have a whitelist of every phone manufactured for use on their network, with each phone's ESN. Your phone will not be listed on that whitelist.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
It's bigger than just that actually.

During activation, the phone needs to talk to apple's servers to recieve whats called the "Sim Policy" This tells the phone how to configure itself. Weither or not its a primary CDMA device, which carrier its locked to, if the GSM is unlocked, ETC.

This is why you need WIFI, itunes, or data connection from the carrier to activate the device. Or how a device switches from GSM carrier locked to unlocked.

I don't know if its a deal with the carriers, or just Apple's greed (you have to buy a new device to switch carriers even if the phone you have is technically compatible) that prevents this but they WILL NOT in any way whatsoever switch a devices "Sim Policy" to anything else.

Its possible because replacement devices sometime come from apple unbranded and you select what carrier you need when you turn it on, it hits the server and it pulls down said policy.

We have had issues before where we recieved iPhones direct from apple and they had the wrong Sim Policy configured in the servers. The were supposed to be Verizon phones, but came as unlocked GSM devices. It took a couple days and Apple changed the servers, we reset the phones and when active they magically became Verizon 4Ses.

The 4 however is a CDMA Only device, so it can't work on AT&T but it is still told by the sim policy if its a Sprint or Verizon Device. Sprint iPhones show up in our Device database, but Apple will not allow the sim policy to be changed to swap carriers.

To the OP: The 16GB 4S is only $99 now anyway, You should be able to get at least $180 for your AT&T one, if you find a store that does the trade in program, or more if you ebay/craigslist it. More if you have AT&T unlock it first.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 17, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No chance in hell you will get an AT&T iPhone activated on Verizon.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
So my replacement Bionic showed up, and I guess everything went better than expected. Looks like this guy clocks up to 1.2GHz.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

redstormpopcorn posted:

So my replacement Bionic showed up, and I guess everything went better than expected. Looks like this guy clocks up to 1.2GHz.

It's always been 1.2, it's got an OMAP 4430, similar to the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
IIRC before the ICS update it was (stock) clocked down to 1.0, and some units didn't take the clock bump to 1.2 when updating.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

redstormpopcorn posted:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's always been 1.2, it's got an OMAP 4430, similar to the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus.

redstormpopcorn posted:

IIRC before the ICS update it was (stock) clocked down to 1.0, and some units didn't take the clock bump to 1.2 when updating.

This is true. The ICS update was supposed to bump up the speed, but I remember some units just not taking.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My girlfriend is putting her number to at&t at the end of the month when her contract is up. Unfortunately, her phone charger just broke and nobody carries a replacement. She's within two weeks of the end of her contract and has no spare phones she can activate, is there any way to convince Verizon to waive the etf so we can get her onto a useable phone now? She starts commuting to grad school on Monday and really needs a phone. The etf is like ten times the cost of her bill through the end of the month :-(

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Viper915 posted:

My girlfriend is putting her number to at&t at the end of the month when her contract is up. Unfortunately, her phone charger just broke and nobody carries a replacement. She's within two weeks of the end of her contract and has no spare phones she can activate, is there any way to convince Verizon to waive the etf so we can get her onto a useable phone now? She starts commuting to grad school on Monday and really needs a phone. The etf is like ten times the cost of her bill through the end of the month :-(

Can she not just use/get a different charger?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

pbpancho posted:

Can she not just use/get a different charger?

Yeah, what kind of phone is it? A lot of them have switched to just using micro-USB.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

No it's one of the old stupid proprietary ones from before everyone switched to usb :-/

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
The LCD on my RAZR cracked for no reason at all today. The glass is fine, but the LCD is spidering out from the SIM/MicroSD door :( It's in fantastic shape because I always carry it in my pocket with nothing else in there, and I think I've only dropped it twice (not today at all). I took it by the store for poops and grins, but since I don't have insurance they told me there's nothing they can do. I don't have an upgrade until May (and I don't want to lose my unlimited anyway), so it looks like it's back to the OG Droid for a while for me. Using that for a while won't endanger my grandfathered unlimited plan, will it? Is Craigslist still the best place to buy a used phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Human Cow posted:

The LCD on my RAZR cracked for no reason at all today. The glass is fine, but the LCD is spidering out from the SIM/MicroSD door :( It's in fantastic shape because I always carry it in my pocket with nothing else in there, and I think I've only dropped it twice (not today at all). I took it by the store for poops and grins, but since I don't have insurance they told me there's nothing they can do. I don't have an upgrade until May (and I don't want to lose my unlimited anyway), so it looks like it's back to the OG Droid for a while for me. Using that for a while won't endanger my grandfathered unlimited plan, will it? Is Craigslist still the best place to buy a used phone?

Switching a device won't put your unlimited data in danger.

Craigslist is a great place to buy a phone because you can just tell the person to meet you at a Verizon store and activate it right there so there's no problems.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For what it's worth, my OG RAZR broke the same way. I sent it in to get it fixed ($170), but they never charged me. I don't know if they just forgot or if they decided it broke on it's own and covered it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is true. The ICS update was supposed to bump up the speed, but I remember some units just not taking.

Usually it has to do with the hardware revision of Bionic you've ended up with. There are Revision A and Revision B units out there and I'm fairly certain the Rev. A Bionics get blessed with a speed bump so they basically become identical in computing power to the Droid Razr.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

My wife needs a new phone and she was looking at the Droid RAZR M in white. How are these phones? Are there any known issues with them? I especially need to know how durable they really are compared to the marketing puffery of "they're made with kevlar" because my wife tends to be really hard on pretty much everything. If we get one I'm going to get an Otter case (specifically one of those with a lot of dead space) or a knockoff thereof so it's got even more protection unless those are really useless bullshit.

Additionally, I'm getting her a smartphone only because the basic phones Verizon offers all look like complete poo poo. I plan on getting her the lowest tier of data (thank Shaft for my unlimited), so I also need to know what will use data that I might not expect and if there's a way on that phone to block data usage so she can't use it when she doesn't mean to.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 21, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ManiacClown posted:

My wife needs a new phone and she was looking at the Droid RAZR M in white. How are these phones? Are there any known issues with them? I especially need to know how durable they really are compared to the marketing puffery of "they're made with kevlar" because my wife tends to be really hard on pretty much everything. If we get one I'm going to get an Otter case (specifically one of those with a lot of dead space) or a knockoff thereof so it's got even more protection unless those are really useless bullshit.

Additionally, I'm getting her a smartphone only because the basic phones Verizon offers all look like complete poo poo. I plan on getting her the lowest tier of data (thank Shaft for my unlimited), so I also need to know what will use data that I might not expect and if there's a way on that phone to block data usage so she can't use it when she doesn't mean to.

My best friend/neighboor has a Razr M and absolutely loves it. He got it at launch and I've never really heard him complain about it. Holding it in your hand, it feels really solid. He's not known for taking care of his phones, but so far he's kept the phone in good shape. I would have no problems recommending it to anyone. He doesn't use a case.

As far as data goes, the only apps you need to really worry about are any that stream music or video. Basically Pandora, Youtube, or streaming music from Google's servers using Google music. When she gets the phone, just set it to always connect to wifi even when the screen is off and she should be fine.

Apps like Instagram/facebook/twitter use very little data when compare to apps like Youtube/Pandora etc. I was actually shocked at how little data the facebook app uses, even if you're on it all the time.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
You can also set a limit on the phone itself, and/or a warning at a given level so you know you're close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

pbpancho posted:

You can also set a limit on the phone itself, and/or a warning at a given level so you know you're close.

That's very good to hear. Where is that option? I want to know so I can come back here to look for when we get it, assuming we do. How's the battery life?

• Locked thread