Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

TACD posted:

How do you get leather?

Kill Monkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just when my urge to play was tapering off due to constant deep digging and only finding spare deposits, I find a cave.

More blood for the blood god.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I know everyone is just talking about Blockheads; but I finally sucked it up and spent the $16 (jesus christ) on Final Fantasy IV and goddamn it was worth it. This port is great! It looks way better than the DS version and the controls are pretty good too. So if anyone was on the fence, best turn based RPG on iOS that I've played, and I've played a fair amount.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

TACD posted:

How do you get leather?

Monkeys drop leather and fur. Kill those rotten little fuckers. Don't wait for them to get you, either, climb the trees and take the fight to their homes!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Killing donkeys also works as a leather source.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Killing donkeys also works as a leather source.

Dude, that's not cool.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

TACD posted:

Furthermore, take more than one workbench with you. I ended up having to slowly slog through the freezing south without a campfire (and my poor dude on 0 health) because I'd built my second base camp near the west pole and it never occurred to me that the world could be so big.

How do you get leather?

I killed some donkeys/let them die of old age (should have rode them).

I was planning on dumping the ocean into a giant hole, but instead I found an incredible oil source with about 250 oil.

thedouche fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also for monkey-killing, you should invest in a spear. Use your superior intelligence to destroy them.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Where does one find a donkey? I haven't bumped into one on my travels.

And now do I un-injure my guy?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

supersteve posted:

And now do I un-injure my guy?

Eat Food.

Also Pro-Tip: You can plant most of the plant foods you find (like fruits/seeds) and they grow!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I put together a Blockheads thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527774

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

supersteve posted:

Where does one find a donkey? I haven't bumped into one on my travels.

This is my bane. I found out that I started off somewhere between the north pole and east equator, and didn't find any donkeys until well into the southern hemisphere. It wouldn't be a big deal (I've brought a mobile base with me using the fact that full chests and baskets can be put into other baskets and chests) except for the fact that my portal is back home and my good time-crystal-mining pick just ran out. So now I have to treck back across 2 oceans and 3 continents without a donkey just to get a good pick again.

e: And moving my question to the appropriate thread, now that there is one :downs:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Those oil lamps in Blockheads are way better than torches, use them instead.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Bought Time Surfer because Bean's Quest is probably one of my favorite mobile games of all time, but man I'm just not feeling it at the moment. Their graphic skills don't really lend themselves well to the game and it just feels like a jumbled mess with way too much going on. The whole "endless runner" concept is extremely tired and even with an interesting rewind mechanic (that I rarely remember to actually use), it just feels like a poorly polished attempt at cashing in on the genre, 3 missions and all.

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ make a loving Blockheads thread you idiots. This is ridiculous.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2013

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
Time Surfer would be fun if it didn't crash to the home screen every 20 seconds

Blockheads would be fun if I was unemployed and had aspergers

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bean's Quest is loving brutal when you try to beat each level in the requisite number of bounces. It's a neat little game but golly gosh is it frustrating to 100% each level.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Despoiler posted:

Blockheads would be fun if I was unemployed and had aspergers

Same feelings although I want to love the game. Please add IAP to queue up actions while you know, working in real life :)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Luckily for me I'm at least one of the two.

Oh wait. :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Eh I dunno. I feel like there's not a ton of things to do in Blockheads, if you could queue up actions while you're not around you'd just blow through the game real fast.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Here's what I'd like: a "Go Home" button that shows up when you tap on your dude.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I about spiked this stupid iphone 5 when I got it and realized they didn't have Hill Climb but NOW THERE'S HILL CLIMB AHHHH!!!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

supersteve posted:

How are you guys getting food in blockheads? My dude is starving and I am quite worried.

Easy* method for a character:
I decided to try and do a lap of the world when I started playing. One of the Equators (west, I think) gives a hat that sets a person to fully-fed when they wear it. If you never take it off they never get hungry. Take it off and they get hungry over time like normal. Put the hat on them when they need food. Be warned that a starving, freezing person takes a long loving time to get through the north pole but the hat from it takes care of the weather-related issues for them.

*this was boring as gently caress and you should not do it because it literally takes hours.

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Yup, ALL progress lost.

If anyone knows what file(s) affect the stuff that's unlocked, if it doesn't just go off of the saved games, I can pull them from my game and put a zip up somewhere. I think I have all the classes unlocked (even though most in the game are useless) and not all my buildings are maxxed, but the more useful ones (melee/archery range, circus, inn) are.

TACD posted:

Oh poo poo, you guys. I never bothered with Minecraft or Terraria but all you loving jokesters raving about it, I thought I'd give it a shot.

You should (play Terraria, 2D supremacy), and follow the Starbound thread because it'll probably be the next good world builder when it eventually comes out.

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

concerned mom posted:

New clash of clans update is out, does anyone play? It looks like they've added a third resource I can't afford., dark-elixir.

Yeah I spend a few mins playing this game a day. Is there a goon clan or any open spots in your clans?

I've been rolled a couple times now by high level/ town hall people but the resource loss seems to be a pretty low percentage of your stores.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It scales the amount high level players can take from low level players. The amount you can lose against players at similar town hall levels to yourself (how the scaling's calculated) is a percentage of what's in your stores, plus all of what's in your generators, so it's best to collect regularly.

Also I've been playing for months and haven't seen this mythical $900 "win now" button.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Somewhat odd question: Are there any decent slots apps out there that aren't just blatant IAP cash grabs?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I got curious about the pay to win Clan Wars game. I looked on the App Store and couldn't find anything named: Clan Wars.

Am I just blind or is it short for something?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

KGBAgent185 posted:

So I got curious about the pay to win Clan Wars game. I looked on the App Store and couldn't find anything named: Clan Wars.

Am I just blind or is it short for something?

Clash of Clans, it's usually near the top ten F2P games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's usually the #1 paid top grossing app, not just for games, but for the entire app store. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's usually the #1 paid top grossing app, not just for games, but for the entire app store. :v:

And it's been there for like a year I think.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

allsizesfitone posted:

Goons, I just got an iPad mini, and I'm looking for good strategy games to play for it. I love the Kairosoft games, and I'd enjoy games like Clash of Clans or Battle Nations if it weren't for the terrible pace without IAP. I'm also not interested in PvP games -- I have no desire to work on something for a week just to have someone who's been playing forever roll through as soon as some stupid newbie protection buff wears off. Anything 4X, turn-based, or strategy-RPG flavored would be welcome, too!

A little late, but I'll contribute my most played games:

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion: The ultimate medieval/pre-modern war game on the iOS. It features a grand story (I have read the style described as similar to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem) that includes a full map and Codex of all of the formations, nations, and characters. The dialog writing is okay, but the background is really excellent. Almost no Tolkienesque stereotypes like in many fantasy settings. Instead each nation is unique and pretty compelling. The gameplay is turn-based with units that represent about 20 men each (called elements) that can be attached together into formations that gain special abilities, but are also vulnerable on the flanks. You get a limited number of "orders" each turn that represent messengers that you (as the general) send out to your regimental officers.

This game just received an update that completes the current story arc. It contains 51 missions in total. They get progressively better with each campaign, in my experience. I don't know how many hours I have put into this game.

Battle of the Bulge: A recently released game, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. It's probably the one of the best war games on the iOS. It's an operational level, turn based war game. The game is centered around the eponymous WWII battle and features an asymmetric style in which the Axis starts of very strong, but has to reach the Meuse River quickly. The Allies start off weak, but gain a lot of strength as time goes on. You can play either against the AI or online. The players take turns moving their units each turn.

Uberskooper fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 12, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So did anybody make a Blockheads thread?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Mescal posted:

Yep.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mescal posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527774

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

AggroJagg posted:

Yeah I spend a few mins playing this game a day. Is there a goon clan or any open spots in your clans?
Soooo, is there a goon clan? Or a thread?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Bah, there's no way to start again in Clans short of using a different Gamecenter name. I tried it around launch and wasn't hooked enough initially to stick around but it looks like they have been beavering away with content updates. I have a few buildings etc lying around but I don't remember jack poo poo or had an idea on what was a decent build order etc to get going.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
LiquidSketch went free.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Duranki posted:

LiquidSketch went free.

http://appshopper.com/games/liquidsketch

iPad only

vv I don't have an iPad.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 12, 2013

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

It's pretty cool. Don't forget to go to the main menu after you've been playing for a bit because you will have unlocked a whole new branch of puzzles.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

UncleSmoothie posted:

It's pretty cool.

Seconding that, fun fluid puzzles using various colors and tools including the iPad's gyroscope to allow you to tilt fluid around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is awesome.

• Locked thread