Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally got actual Shaoxing wine thanks to a lovely man named caberham. :911:

I'm only going to use it for cooking. Should I keep it in the fridge after I open or does it not matter?

I've never put in the fridge. Could be my mistake, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally got actual Shaoxing wine thanks to a lovely man named caberham. :911:

I'm only going to use it for cooking. Should I keep it in the fridge after I open or does it not matter?

Shaoxing can be kept at room temperature.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

danucleus posted:

Shaoxing can be kept at room temperature.

For how long? I too was the recipient of some Hong Kong lovin'

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
It's alcohol, I'm sure it'll be good for some time.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
I've kept some opened Shaoxing for up to 5 months on the shelf. It'll be fine. It doesn't lose its taste or turn into vinegar nearly as fast as red or white wines do, in my experience.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So I went to our major immigrant area just outside Seoul and I stopped by the Chinese butchers and bakers and I found these things. I can figure out what all the other parts are, but I don't recognize the sausages. The long ones are similar to the Taiwanese ones that I have, but I don't know about the thick orange ones and especially this big round one. That's the one I bought and need help with. It looks like Chinese haggis.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
Just started reading this thread and really enjoying it. Thanks to everyone contributing their knowledge!

I thought the Ah Leung PDF posted on the first page of the thread was wonderful and I took the liberty of adding bookmarks for each recipe to it to make it easier to navigate. Hope it helps some people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have been ordered to make dan dan mian. I've also been requested to make it in the soupier style, since this is apparently how it is done in Chengdu. I was thinking of just adding gravity's sauce to some duck stock and serving with a bit of thin sliced duck on top, is there any obvious dumb flaw in my plan?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I have been ordered to make dan dan mian. I've also been requested to make it in the soupier style, since this is apparently how it is done in Chengdu. I was thinking of just adding gravity's sauce to some duck stock and serving with a bit of thin sliced duck on top, is there any obvious dumb flaw in my plan?

I am a blasphemer and do not really like noodles of any kind, so I've never made 担担面, but I will say it tends to be greasier/oilier rather than "soupier" in Chengdu.

Here's a recipe for sichuan style dandan mian with a picture for every step so maybe you can figure it out even lacking Chinese knowledge. That recipe calls for straight up soup stock (骨头汤) so you have the right idea, it seems.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

I am a blasphemer and do not really like noodles of any kind, so I've never made 担担面, but I will say it tends to be greasier/oilier rather than "soupier" in Chengdu.

Here's a recipe for sichuan style dandan mian with a picture for every step so maybe you can figure it out even lacking Chinese knowledge. That recipe calls for straight up soup stock (骨头汤) so you have the right idea, it seems.

That picture looks about like what I was expecting, and the duck stock would fill the oily component quite well. Cool. I'm going on description for the soupy part and the person in question went to college in Chengdu, so I was assuming that was the local style.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone have a good nou mi fan or lor mai fun recipe they can vouch for? I love that stuff but every time I make it, it just comes out terrible :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a good nou mi fan or lor mai fun recipe they can vouch for? I love that stuff but every time I make it, it just comes out terrible :(

That's the sticky rice stuff that comes in the leaves right? I'll ask tonight since we used to make that as a kid before my family because rich and now we just buy everything out of convenience because we are all too busy :unsmith:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Peven Stan posted:

That's the sticky rice stuff that comes in the leaves right? I'll ask tonight since we used to make that as a kid before my family because rich and now we just buy everything out of convenience because we are all too busy :unsmith:

The stuff in the leaves is zongzi but I love those too. Nou mi fan and lor mai fun are essentially the same thing without the leaves, I believe.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think this was requested a while ago. I made a batch today and decided to write it up for the wiki. Enjoy!

Angry Lady Sauce!

Spicy chile minus crisp by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

http://goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 9, 2013

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

DontAskKant posted:

Chinese haggis.

I have no clue for what that is or what you do with it, but i'm very curious about it. What is it? How about a cross-section picture? How's the taste?

Also thanks gravity for the angry lady recipe, everybody needs that stuff in their life.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

I think you're talking about lor mai gai, steamed sticky rice in lotus leaf with pork, la chang and other stuff. I've had the same filling steamed in a bamboo basket on top of butter paper, it was, if possible even better, perhaps because it was also dotted with pieces of pork belly that leaked delicious fatty fats into the rice :mrapig:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Sjurygg posted:

I think you're talking about lor mai gai, steamed sticky rice in lotus leaf with pork, la chang and other stuff. I've had the same filling steamed in a bamboo basket on top of butter paper, it was, if possible even better, perhaps because it was also dotted with pieces of pork belly that leaked delicious fatty fats into the rice :mrapig:

Ohhhhh man that sounds amazing.

I tried making lor mai fun and it came out really bitter. I can't figure out what it is but this isn't the first time it's happened. I tried making turnip cakes about 6 months ago and it was horribly bitter. I'm thinking it might be my ancient bottle of shaoxing wine I've had in my cabinet. I just should suck it up and buy a new one.

Has anyone ever made zongzi at home? Is it something only an old Chinese grandma can make? I love eating them for breakfast but I don't work near Chinatown anymore :(

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Shnooks posted:

Ohhhhh man that sounds amazing.

I tried making lor mai fun and it came out really bitter. I can't figure out what it is but this isn't the first time it's happened. I tried making turnip cakes about 6 months ago and it was horribly bitter. I'm thinking it might be my ancient bottle of shaoxing wine I've had in my cabinet. I just should suck it up and buy a new one.

Has anyone ever made zongzi at home? Is it something only an old Chinese grandma can make? I love eating them for breakfast but I don't work near Chinatown anymore :(

Salted duck egg (yolks only), good quality (important) lap cheung sausage, and what I think is salted pork, which is honestly a lot more fat than meat, is my granny's recipe. It's not hard to make at all, really. You just need to get the glutinous rice cooked properly with the right amount of water and you're good to go.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I'll second that they aren't hard to make, at all. I'm sure you can find a video of the folding process on the web, and beyond that it's soaking the rice and your choice of ingredients.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

I have made them. The only issue was folding the leaves properly, and I got around that by doing a pillow-shaped fold. The pyramid shape was impossible for me.

It is easy to do, but you need to plan ahead. You'll need bamboo leaves, sweet sticky rice, twine, and whatever you plan to put inside. From the mistakes I made, I have a few comments.

Soak the leaves thoroughly, don't just put them in a big pot and assume osmosis will get the water all the way through. The leaves must be separated from each other, individually placed into the water, and weighted down with something heavy in the water. If your leaves aren't soaked, they will crack while you fold them.

Practice folding with plain rice.

Cut the twine ahead of time.

I used to make zongzi around festival time when I lived with my parents, and I could churn out enough for 3 families in one morning.

Now that I'm on my own and have to do my own prep work, I can make 20+ smallish ones in a morning, set up the pot to boil over the day, and eat them at night. They also freeze decently if you boil to reheat them.

What I'm trying to say is that it's very possible to do, and not even that time consuming, but you need to be organized and patient with your first few mistakes, or it will be frustrating.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The Thing about zongzi, see, is that once you're making them, you have to make a lot of them to make it all worthile. Preferrably sitting on your heels on a water-rinsed concrete floor while chatting with the other old ladies about who's screwing whom.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think this was requested a while ago. I made a batch today and decided to write it up for the wiki. Enjoy!

Angry Lady Sauce!

Spicy chile minus crisp by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

http://goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

Also my favorite condiment, thanks for posting this! I have always called this stuff "chinese man sauce" for the double entendre of course.

Question about the Sichuan peppercorns, Ive seen them for sale in the store, and I assume they have a hull on the outside of them that needs to be removed? How do you process them exactly. Never had the chance to buy these things since my wife doesn't like spicy, but it would be fun to make my own sauce eventually...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The hull is the part you use. You sift out any of the little black seeds that got in, and remove the twigs until you get tired of it and say gently caress it. I usually toast in the pan until they're fragrant then grind them up.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Some have been deseeded for you. If it looks like a whole bottle of little wrinkly pacmans, and you can see the white pith of the fruit inside instead of a black seed, get those and save yourself a lot of time.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Grand Fromage posted:

The hull is the part you use. You sift out any of the little black seeds that got in, and remove the twigs until you get tired of it and say gently caress it. I usually toast in the pan until they're fragrant then grind them up.

shoot. I am glad I asked then, was about to royally gently caress that up...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Or revolutionize Chinese cuisine

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Or revolutionize Chinese cuisine

not really. The black seeds have a very similar taste and texture as sand :(

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You just haven't discovered the key to turning sand into a DELICACY yet, obviously :D

"This... This is a real man's dish. It's got GRIT."

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Read the OP's recommendations on stir frying (small batches, thin slices, smoking pan) and goddamn if those weren't the best fajitas I've ever made. Cheers, Gravity :)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone have a really good recipe for Shanghai style chaoniangao? I've had this crazy craving for them lately and there's no good Shanghai cuisine around this area.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone have a really good recipe for Shanghai style chaoniangao? I've had this crazy craving for them lately and there's no good Shanghai cuisine around this area.

Soak the nian gao overnight. Then do up a stir fry with lots of stock at the end instead of sauce (we do chopped up bok choy, garlic, sliced carrots, and thinly sliced pork). Reserve the vegetables and meat, then simmer the nian gao in the pot with the soup until soft. Toss with the reserved stuff, salt to taste. Serve with lao gan ma.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rurutia posted:

Soak the nian gao overnight. Then do up a stir fry with lots of stock at the end instead of sauce (we do chopped up bok choy, garlic, sliced carrots, and thinly sliced pork). Reserve the vegetables and meat, then simmer the nian gao in the pot with the soup until soft. Toss with the reserved stuff, salt to taste. Serve with lao gan ma.

Thanks, that sounds delicious. I love them with pork too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Hey let's cook a thing:

小煎鸡 Spicy fried chicken???
This is a Sichuan dish I've been eating a lot of lately. My roommate tells me it's super-spiciness lends it to be suitable winter dish. I recently learned how to make it as well!

Ingredients 材料
  1. 鸡肉-Chicken, white or dark meat, de-boned, 500g-ish, chopped into small pieces
  2. 泡椒-Spicy chilies, not dried. If you're in the US jalapeņos should be OK I guess, but use whatever you want. I think the chilies they use out here are a good deal spicier, though.
  3. 藕-Lotus Root, 1 root should do it.
  4. 青椒-Green peppers
  5. 芽菜/莴笋-Celery or Green Bamboo
  6. Sichuan trifecta-Ginger, Garlic and Sichuan Peppercorn
  7. 青葱-Green Onions
  8. 干辣椒-Dried chilies
  9. 花生-Peanuts, shelled and peeled
  10. Sauce stuff: Soy sauce, potato starch, cooking wine/alcohol of some variety, sugar, MSG, salt, soup stock, vinegar
  11. 老干妈-Angry lady sauce

Makin' it
Chop everything up nice and small, as per all Chinese food. When slicing up your spicy peppers, it is traditional to just slice them into small cylinders leaving the seeds and stuff all in tact, but if you really dislike spicy stuff you can get rid of it. Marinate the chicken for about 15-30minutes in a concoction of your own design.

Mix together all the sauce stuff. This dish isn't too saucy, so I'd be conservative with how much you make. I'd say altogether my sauce was like 150ml or so for like 700g of chicken+???g of veggies tonight, and it turned out well. Don't skimp on the potato starch.

Get wok hot, add oil, get oil hot, add chicken. Once the chicken is browned, add in the garlic, ginger, dried chilies, sichuan peppercorn, a generous spoonful of angry lady sauce and whatever non-dried spicy pepper you are using.

When that gets good and fragrant, add in the chopped up lotus root and let that cook for a second before you add in the celery or green bamboo, followed by the rest of your veggies. Lotus root does NOT get soft, it stays firm and crunchy, so don't kill your dish waiting for that to happen (it won't ever happen).

Once your veggies are done, add in the peanuts and stir real quick before adding in the sauce you made. You want to let the sauce get nice and thick, thinly coating the entire dish and sticking to each piece.

This dish, if prepared as outlined here, is pretty drat spicy. It's one of the spiciest things I've had in Sichuan, in fact. The lotus root and peanuts go nicely with this as they tend to control the spiciness quite well.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 13, 2013

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I'm posting this here because I have a feeling hogmaws are popular in China. In my google searches, every hogmaw cooking method includes a lot of added balderdash like ground pork, cabbage, apples. I wouldn't be eating hogmaws if I could afford all that stuff. My hogmaws need to be soft enough to cut with my fork. Does anyone have experience with hogmaws in the most simple preparation? I'm considering 375 degrees for an hour, covered in a cast iron skillet.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got all the ingredients for zongzi and now I just have to sit down and make them. Can I get everyone's opinion on this recipe? Another recipe says to cook the filling the night before, but the other ones I'm seeing are saying to stuff it in with it. Anyone with experience making them have a suggestion?

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

crikster posted:

I'm posting this here because I have a feeling hogmaws are popular in China. In my google searches, every hogmaw cooking method includes a lot of added balderdash like ground pork, cabbage, apples. I wouldn't be eating hogmaws if I could afford all that stuff. My hogmaws need to be soft enough to cut with my fork. Does anyone have experience with hogmaws in the most simple preparation? I'm considering 375 degrees for an hour, covered in a cast iron skillet.

I find generally accepted best practice is to boil your hog maws for 5 hours in a salt / wine solution then stick them in a covered cast iron skillet as you describe and allow them to develop a hearty chewy exterior that is crucial to a good hog maw experience.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

I got all the ingredients for zongzi and now I just have to sit down and make them. Can I get everyone's opinion on this recipe? Another recipe says to cook the filling the night before, but the other ones I'm seeing are saying to stuff it in with it. Anyone with experience making them have a suggestion?

That recipe looks fine to me. The only thing my family has never done, but it seems a lot of people do, is soak the rice in sauce overnight. We just use salt water, and that results in a nice contrast between the yellow beans and the white rice.

I don't understand pre-cooking the fillings, since you're going to boil the zhong anyways.

Other fillings you could add, as you like:

lapcheong
chestnut
Chinese bacon (I don't use this anymore. Pork belly is enough for me)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pre-cooking fillings has always ended in disaster for me. loving food safety regulations. :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Referring back to the request for taro recipes, anyone got a recipe for wu gok (fried taro balls?) I only ever get them at dim sum places in Chicago and god they are addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Oracle posted:

Referring back to the request for taro recipes, anyone got a recipe for wu gok (fried taro balls?) I only ever get them at dim sum places in Chicago and god they are addictive.

Here's a recipe in Chinese: http://www.euphocafe.com/recipe/recipe.asp?rid=334

A vegetarian recipe in English can be found here.

EDIT -

The translated Chinese recipe is as follows:

Filling:
150g porkloin, 150g shelled shrimp, 3-4 dry shiitake, 1 clove of garlic

Skin:
600g (net weight after skinning) large taro, 113g lard/softened unsalted butter, 113g wheat starch, 1 tsp baking sode, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar

Seasoning:
1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sesame oil, dash of pepper, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tbsp starch (mixed in 4 tsp of water)

Method:
1. Soak the shiitake, remove the stem and dice finely; Dice the pork and shrimp finely; chop the garlic. Add 2 tbsp of oil to the wok; fry the chopped garlic until fragrant. Add the pork, shrimp and shiitake and fry until done. Add all the seasonings, mix well and set aside.

2. Cut the taro into 1-cm thick slices and steam them until completely cooked (leave space between slices and avoid overlapping). Remove them from steamer and mash while hot.

3. Mix the wheat starch with 3/4 cup of boiling water until a transparent dough is formed. Let it cool slightly and add the dough to the mashed taro until no bit of starch can be seen, then add the lard/butter, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well and discard any small pieces of taro that cannot be crushed you find while mixing.

4. Roll the completed dough to a ball and divide it into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a long rope and subdivide it into six portions. Roll each portion into a ball, flatten it and add the filling. Close and shape the dumpling as shown in picture B of the website.

5. Add enough oil for deep-frying into a wok and heat to about 170-180 degrees Celsius. Put the dumplings into a spider (Chinese strainer) and deep-fry them until the colour changes and the surface looks like bee-hives. Strain, degrease on paper towel and enjoy your :btroll: snack.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 18, 2013