Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Aston Martin's next Latest and Greatest is going to be a subcompact hatchback with a one-liter 3-cyl turbo and a Ford badge.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1212_2014_ford_fiesta_ecoboost_first_drive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Friar Zucchini posted:

Aston Martin's next Latest and Greatest is going to be a subcompact hatchback with a one-liter 3-cyl turbo and a Ford badge.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1212_2014_ford_fiesta_ecoboost_first_drive/

I get that the grill looks very similar to AM's design language, but even the new Fusion doesn't look, wholesale, like an Aston. It's more aggressive with surface detailing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

nutnmunch posted:

I couldn't determine from the article if they were saying STI in 2015 or WRX + STI in 2015. I'm hoping the WRX shows itself a lot sooner than that and we just get the STI a few years later.

I believe earlier reports said the new WRX was for the 2014 model year, so a 2013 release, but maybe things have changed. I hope not, I'm ready to upgrade. I'm curious how all of this is news, though, since the linked article is from last May and there's definitely newer information out there (mainly hot-weather testing mules seen, that sort of thing). It also conflicts with other reports that the WRX/STI chassis was going to be smaller and lighter than the Impreza.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Looks great, handles well, gets very good gas mileage. For a ~$15,000 new car, I don't see a whole lot not to like.

Nice job, Ford.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Eagerly waiting to see what tuning shops can do with the 1.0l Ecoboost. Spec Fiesta would be nice, as would a switchover for Formula Ford to the Ecoboost prototype:

(My god do I want this thing)

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

blk posted:

I think it's a big improvement over the current one.

"Improvement" does not mean "Good."

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I get that the grill looks very similar to AM's design language, but even the new Fusion doesn't look, wholesale, like an Aston. It's more aggressive with surface detailing.

Honestly, I think the grill looks out of place on the Fusion. The rest of the lines are too hard and the vehicle too square for it. Face front it looks fine to me, but viewing it with the rest of the car looks strange to me. I think the last Fusion is a better overall composition.

Lexus is hinting at a Sportcross comeback on their FB page (via Autoblog): "Do you remember the '02 IS 300 Sport Cross with its style, utility and performance? Will we bring it back? Watch the 2014 IS premiere on Facebook in 6 days to find out!"

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Evanauto posted:

"Improvement" does not mean "Good."

Seriously. The grille is just atrocious. Lexus and Acura both had wonderful styling cues 5-10 years ago. Now it's gone to poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Hasn't the WRX always kind of been a GT, though? 4 doors, rear seat.... it's not exactly a sports car. It's always had a nice interior, too, compared with the base models. Boy-racer sure, the wings and scoops, but at its heart it's been a GT car.

What they should say is "cars are getting fatter and heavier, and quality is of increasing concern, so the new WRX will reflect that". It's not like they are breaking new ground or even telling us something we didn't expect.

I wouldn't say the WRX in any iteration has a nice interior. More like spartan.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:siren: New Jettawagen! :siren:

All is not lost! :woop:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-sportwagen-spy-photos-news

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

The grille IS eerily similar.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I was very suspicious of automatic braking at first - it just seemed like something to make drivers dumber and less attentive. But...

quote:

Interestingly, the car will refuse to automatically brake itself after three successive near-misses; the driver must first turn the car off and restart it in order to regain auto braking. Subaru tells us this is a sort of warning for extremely terrible drivers to shape up, and company representatives assured us that the auditory collision-warning feature remains on in such scenarios.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/we-try-out-subarus-eyesight-collision-avoidance-tech/

Gotta find out if other brands' auto-braking systems will quit working if you're too stupid...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kimbo305 posted:

Randy Pobst (having already driving the ZL1) says the 1LE is the best handling Camaro ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiFiWn38jw
Great price, if you can stand the aesthetics/livability.

Wow that sounds great stock.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bovril Delight posted:

I wouldn't say the WRX in any iteration has a nice interior. More like spartan.

And some of the best Subaru customers rather like that!

The WRX has never been a GT car. It began life as a toned down rally car and the closer it was to that concept, the better the WRX is. The GC8 or Classic is the best example that's raw as all get out but holy poo poo it's FUN. It's light, it's agile and it's brilliant. Yeah sure the MY11 and on is a more livable car and faster in a straight line but the GC8 WRX really is something else again - for all it's rough edges it goes exactly like you think a rally based car should go.

That linked article is rather old too - what it thinks the WRX will be isnt lookign that way apart from lighter and more power. It's looking like the STI will be filled with luxury poo poo, the WRX will be going raw.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

That linked article is rather old too - what it thinks the WRX will be isnt lookign that way apart from lighter and more power. It's looking like the STI will be filled with luxury poo poo, the WRX will be going raw.
I would have expected it to be the opposite.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

And some of the best Subaru customers rather like that!
I'd love to transplant a modern ricer to the early-nineties UK Subaru market.

:colbert: Don't go flashing your rally pedigree nonsense with us, kid, everyone and their mum has got a Scooby round here.

:what: Yeah? Who?

:colbert: Farmers.

:what: Who else?

:colbert: Farmers' mums.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

HHHNNNNGGGG
:stonk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Devyl posted:

Don't forget this styles' origins:

Seriously, it looks like someone had one of those goofy photo apps that came out with the first iPhone, and just took a regular picture of a car and gave it such a pinch

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Phy posted:

Seriously, it looks like someone had one of those goofy photo apps that came out with the first iPhone, and just took a regular picture of a car and gave it such a pinch

That's probably where the idea came from.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

grover posted:

The new Porsche 991 GT3 will only be offered with a PDK transmission, according to GTSpirit. :can:

Number of nice photos here, too. I *think* the one in the middle is the GT3, can anyone confirm? Regardless, it's a hot loving car!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/01/07/porsche-to-drop-991-gt3-teaser-in-february-deliveries-begin-july-august/

Part of me is beyond excited about this car. Maybe I need to see it in another color but it doesn't' look as visually striking as the older GT3s did to their base 911 counterparts. I'm not excited about the PDK but I also realize that's how you put down fast lap times these days. They did a good job to stick with a manual through the 997.2 GT3/GT2 (though maybe it was not wanting to mate the PDK to the Metzger engine).

I can't help but think the 997.1 GT3/GT3RS will be the last ones that an enthusiast could wrench on in the garage but I can't back that up with facts. The lack of center-locking hubs would be helpful swapping wheels (also they break a lot) but I can't think of much beyond that. Maybe I'm looking forward to the new GT3 so the 997.1 plummets even further in value. I may be in the market this summer so the timing would work out really well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Maybe I'm looking forward to the new GT3 so the 997.1 plummets even further in value. I may be in the market this summer so the timing would work out really well.

They'll probably never hit the prices that 996 GT3's are at, but a guy can dream :fap:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

They'll probably never hit the prices that 996 GT3's are at, but a guy can dream :fap:

In Europe the 996 GT3RS is on a slight upswing at the moment. A few people see that one as the most focused and raw GT3 that will probably be released to the public. Of course their RS comes with a plexiglass rear window while our standard GT3 still has a sunroof.

That's just fine with me though. I've wanted a 997.1 GT3 ever since I opened up to the idea that maybe rear-engined cars aren't the worst idea ever (ok they are but Porsche spent the better part of 40 years engineering the stupid out of it).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you get a GT3, please bring it to Pavilions so I can drool on it.

In news that surprises apparently nobody, roughly half of the internet got their paws on pre-print images from magazines covering the C7 Corvette, and yes, it does have those awful Camaro taillights :barf:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
You can't go without posting the leaked cover, IOC:

That's no rendering or drawing... That's actually it...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

I would have expected it to be the opposite.

It's never been that way - the WRX has always been low rent, the STI gets the optional extras. Subaru have been making this more pronounced with the 3rd gen as well and it sounds like they are going to make the STI a up market M3 competitor while the WRX is for the tuners and boy racers. Or the smart guys who work out the price difference makes the WRX very appealing to grab and go nuts on.

How else you going to convince anyone a STI is worth 25K more than a WRX?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It looks like an angry kid with a mouth full of braces.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Devyl posted:

It was designed by an angry kid with a mouth full of braces.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Devyl posted:

I like it, its a refinement on the C6. I wonder if that lower air dam is some active aero type stuff, or it is a static display with nothing under the hood.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

That front shot looks great, the side profile looks good, but the rear of the car is just awful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jalopnik watermarked not only someone else's pictures, but photos of someone else's magazine covers? I mean, really?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cat Terrist posted:

It's never been that way - the WRX has always been low rent, the STI gets the optional extras. Subaru have been making this more pronounced with the 3rd gen as well and it sounds like they are going to make the STI a up market M3 competitor while the WRX is for the tuners and boy racers. Or the smart guys who work out the price difference makes the WRX very appealing to grab and go nuts on.

How else you going to convince anyone a STI is worth 25K more than a WRX?

Maybe for export, but as far as I can tell the original Japanese STI has no extra comfort features over the standard WRX. The RA (both the regular WRX and STI) versions didn't even have electric windows.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

InitialDave posted:

Jalopnik watermarked not only someone else's pictures, but photos of someone else's magazine covers? I mean, really?

well they were the one to break the leak, because that magazine isn't out yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Do you expect anything less from Gawker Media?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Do you expect anything less from Gawker Media?

I wonder what the least and most reviled auto websites/publications are on AI. I understand how awful Jalopnik and its parent are. I don't read TTAC much but I did go to high school with a former editor, it seems like that site is not very popular either. I sometimes read Autoblog but the comments are the worst I've ever seen (by contrast, I think BAT has some of the best).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blk posted:

I wonder what the least and most reviled auto websites/publications are on AI. I understand how awful Jalopnik and its parent are. I don't read TTAC much but I did go to high school with a former editor, it seems like that site is not very popular either. I sometimes read Autoblog but the comments are the worst I've ever seen (by contrast, I think BAT has some of the best).

Jalopnik: vile and repulsive, no-click zone
Auto Blog: fw: fw: fw: some press releases
Auto Blog Green: fw: fw: fw: some press releases about priuses
Hooniverse: goon-run but i don't find it as interesting as it is ugly
The Truth About Cars: i can actually stand to read it

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Hooniverse: goon-run but i don't find it as interesting as it is ugly

Looks like some good content but I can't read it as I am now blind.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Edmunds had Inside Line which wasn't half bad, I liked their long-term blog. Of course, Edmunds shut it down and moved all of the content over to Edmunds.com which is basically pages filled with 400 hyperlinks about buying Camry's and pop-up ads trying to sell you a Camry.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well the C7 rear isnt AS bad as I was expecting, so I guess I'm pretty relieved. Looking forward to seeing some more photos tomorrow, but it seems like its good enough it might grow on me unless they decide to do some mid-life taillight redesign. That'd be pretty unprecedented, but this is the era of internet complainers enacting change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthLAnd posted:

Edmunds had Inside Line which wasn't half bad, I liked their long-term blog. Of course, Edmunds shut it down and moved all of the content over to Edmunds.com which is basically pages filled with 400 hyperlinks about buying Camry's and pop-up ads trying to sell you a Camry.

Inside Line was the poo poo. I was so pissed when they hosed that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

Well the C7 rear isnt AS bad as I was expecting,

That's because the worst part of the rear, the greenhouse, is conveniently obscured in that cover.