Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

FordPRefectLL posted:

I've actually started having a similar issue on my Nexus 7 since the 4.2.1 update. It occasionally won't wake up if I just tap the button but it will if I hold the button down to the point I'd normally get the power control menu. I don't know if that's the hardware or 4.2 that's doing it.
Well I'm not holding it down that long, just long enough to feel the vibration and then it turns back on. Basically it appears as though the tablet is continually turning itself off when it goes idle for a few minutes.

Really kind of sad I installed the newer update cause that's a pretty goddamned bad bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tedronai66 posted:

Yeah, and 80 POUNDS in britain? What a joke.

£25 actually. Right on the upper edge of what people will pay, well those who won't wait until eBay has the Chinese versions for £5.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've run into a new problem ever since I put the blurex case on my nexus 7. Every once in a while (once a day at random) the tablet completely freezes. For about a minute, it's totally unresponsive, turns off entirely and will not turn back on for about another minute. It's a little worrying.

It never happened until about an hour after I put the case on the tablet and it's persisted ever since. I thought it was a magnet issue that would go away when I removed the magnet, but it's still freezing.

Does anybody have a clue as to what might be going on or how to fix it?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To anyone thinking of buying a budget android tablet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPbYqdw3oY

:colbert:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Snips posted:

That was the most entertaining video I've seen today, actually.

It makes me wonder about all those crappy tablets HSN keeps selling and how they're not returning back in droves.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Proper scaling in the chrome 25 beta....

About time.

Hows it look at 1600p on the n10?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThermoPhysical posted:

That was the most entertaining video I've seen today, actually.

It makes me wonder about all those crappy tablets HSN keeps selling and how they're not returning back in droves.

The people who buy them are running 2002 eMachines computers with XP Home and 3 toolbars minimum on their IE 6 windows. They're used to the level of performance.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

The people who buy them are running 2002 eMachines computers with XP Home and 3 toolbars minimum on their IE 6 windows. They're used to the level of performance.

That actually makes sense.

It's even more amusing that HSN doesn't shovel the "Vipre Antivirus" crap along with the budget tablets, just with the Nexus 7s and Galaxy Tabs. Not that it actually does anything, but it's like they know that, even if it did something, it's not worth it for such an awful tablet. :v:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

zer0spunk posted:

About time.

Still no easy tab management in the tablet version but a perfect mechanism in the phone version yay Chrome.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

About time.

Seems the same? Kinda hard to tell honestly, have a site that you know is weird in the regular version?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FordPRefectLL posted:

Still no easy tab management in the tablet version but a perfect mechanism in the phone version yay Chrome.

I just accidentally discovered that a swipe from the bottom corner left or right switches tabs quickly. Son of a bitch. How long has that been there?

E: the action is bezel to screen swipe in either direction. Pretty handy.
Swiping from the top of the bezel over a tab selects that tab.. this one isn't as cool

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 12, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mister Snips posted:

That's horrible poo poo, but to be fair it was a budget tablet back in 2010 and the fact that it's still around for sale at all is baffling.

Nobody should buy a budget tablet when stuff like the Nexus 7 exists, but that thing came out when Froyo was current.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

zer0spunk posted:

I just accidentally discovered that a swipe from the bottom corner left or right switches tabs quickly. Son of a bitch. How long has that been there?

E: the action is bezel to screen swipe in either direction. Pretty handy.
Swiping from the top of the bezel over a tab selects that tab.. this one isn't as cool

If you ever discover the frustratingly absent "close all tabs" gesture I would love to know.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone using the Tetrax system to mount their tablet in a car? It's basically neodymium magnets and an air vent clip. You stick a metal pad on your case then stick the case on the magnet to mount.

Tetrax say that it will hold 300g and the nexus is 340g however threads on xda say that it holds it firmly.

I'm looking for a none intrusive mount and this seems the perfect choice however I'm wary to trust my tablet to just a magnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1LAvCSRJiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 12, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't own this, but I found it looking for a windshield tablet holder. Same company also makes a few other ones as well. It's advertised as usable with the Nexus 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-Windshield-Mount-TAB-CM117/dp/B00585CLR2

http://www.arkon.com/
http://www.arkon.com/tablet-accessories/index.html

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SlayVus posted:

I don't own this, but I found it looking for a windshield tablet holder. Same company also makes a few other ones as well. It's advertised as usable with the Nexus 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-Windshield-Mount-TAB-CM117/dp/B00585CLR2
I have the seat bolt mount version, and it's not bad, if a little cheap. The part the tablet attaches to is spring-loaded, and it comes with two different sizes of fingers for different sizes of tabs.

From what I've read about the suction cup windshield mount, the arm rests on the corner of the dashboard because the mount itself isn't strong enough to hold the whole thing aloft.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
I just got a Nexus 7, and I really dig it, but I'm having one unfortunate problem. I just got a Logitech k400r bluetooth keyboard, which should (right?) be compatible, but the Nexus 7 won't recognize it through bluetooth. It can find my iPhone, but not the keyboard. I've read that bluetooth problems are common with 4.2 - is that what this is? If so, is rooting and reverting to 4.1 the best way to fix it?

I just want to use my drat fancy new tablet/keyboard set-up, drat it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So, picked up the Blurex case for my 7 and hooray it acts as a stand. Hooray Flipboard added day daydream support. Not hooray it uses so much power that even while plugged into the OEM charger it neither gains or loses charge.

:stare:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

firebad57 posted:

I just got a Nexus 7, and I really dig it, but I'm having one unfortunate problem. I just got a Logitech k400r bluetooth keyboard, which should (right?) be compatible, but the Nexus 7 won't recognize it through bluetooth. It can find my iPhone, but not the keyboard. I've read that bluetooth problems are common with 4.2 - is that what this is? If so, is rooting and reverting to 4.1 the best way to fix it?

It's possible that it's 4.2. Most of the 4.2 bluetooth issues involve disconnects, not the inability to connect at all. It's pretty easy to revert to 4.1.2. It's worth it anyway. You don't need to root, you just have to unlock. XDA is usually the best place to learn about stuff like that.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I'm thinking about just using my Nexus 7 propped up in it's case as a bedside clock, since it is my alarm already. Will letting it sit in day dream mode for hours at a time regularly cause any issues with the screen?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I'm thinking about just using my Nexus 7 propped up in it's case as a bedside clock, since it is my alarm already. Will letting it sit in day dream mode for hours at a time regularly cause any issues with the screen?

It doesn't end up charging in daydream mode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google has confirmed that there will be Bluetooth fixes in the next revision of Android.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633#c443

Sair
May 11, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Mine does?

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
Does anybody here have one of these Out of Print book-style cases for their Nexus 7? I'm thinking of getting one because 1) it's cool and 2) I don't like leather cases on electronics, but it seems to me that the speaker would be totally covered by the back of the case. Unless there's some sort of hole or groove to funnel sound out. Nobody seems to have discussed this anywhere else on the internet as far as I can see

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I just got myself a Nexus 7 and drat is the default Google Play oriented homescreen ugly and crowded with crap nobody asked for. If I had bought this thing to use as-is instead of to hack around with, I would have been sorely disappointed. Why do they do this? Do they honestly think there's a user out there who is like "Yes! My brand-new device -- linked to my Google services -- just informed me that I purchased a disconnected jumble of media with no relationship to my tastes! Kick rear end!"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I just got myself a Nexus 7 and drat is the default Google Play oriented homescreen ugly and crowded with crap nobody asked for. If I had bought this thing to use as-is instead of to hack around with, I would have been sorely disappointed. Why do they do this? Do they honestly think there's a user out there who is like "Yes! My brand-new device -- linked to my Google services -- just informed me that I purchased a disconnected jumble of media with no relationship to my tastes! Kick rear end!"
It's a widget. If you don't like it, push and hold on it then drag it to the trash.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My brand-new device -- linked to my Google services -- just informed me that I purchased a disconnected jumble of media with no relationship to my tastes! Kick rear end!"

It's showing you what purchased on Google Play, how does that have "no relationship to my tastes"?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Sair posted:

Mine does?

Yea, my N7 charges just fine using the night mode digital clock.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you have it daydreaming Currents it won't charge for poo poo. It won't lose charge, but it doesn't gain any, either. I forgot there's clock mode :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Dude just long press and drag it to the trash, it takes less time than that post. A lot of people who bought an N7 got $25 in free credit so why not start them with an upsell?

Edit: beaten, by an hour..., thought I hit the bottom of the Awful app page.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I also think they do that so that people realize that android isn't iOS and you can do more than just a grid of app icons. If they gave you empty home screens to start off with, most casual users would probably just do the iOS 4x5 icon grid and never even know that widgets exist.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's showing you what purchased on Google Play, how does that have "no relationship to my tastes"?

The only thing I've ever purchased on or from Google is the tablet itself. The day that I pay money for Conde Nast Traveler is the day I should be put in a home.

I guess the only reason I care about this is that I had some involvement with carrier customization at one point, and I'm fascinated that decisions were made that resulted in this experience.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The only thing I've ever purchased on or from Google is the tablet itself. The day that I pay money for Conde Nast Traveler is the day I should be put in a home.

I guess the only reason I care about this is that I had some involvement with carrier customization at one point, and I'm fascinated that decisions were made that resulted in this experience.

When you buy a Nexus 7 they give you some free content and associate it to your Google account. That for me included a few magazines, a couple dozen songs of various genres, some Bourne book, and a Transformers movie. None of it is downloaded to the device until you go to actually read/watch/listen to it, it's just there in your cloud library.

I would imagine it is intentionally done so as to give brand new users a cue as to how to use their device for using content from the Google-operated stores.

It's easily deleted, doesn't cost you anything to use it, takes up no space on the device until you want to use it, and some people might actually like it (I don't think any of those would apply to carrier crapware). I know I liked some of the songs they gave me, and read some of the magazines.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Those of you who had to RMA a 7 or 10, how long did it take? I called customer support about my 10 that's unable to stay powered on and it's been 4 days with no response. I did get some email chain started about it being forwarded to someone else

Google posted:

Your case has been forwarded and now we await a reply. We appreciate your patience as we investigate your case.
I don't get who the hell it's forwarded to and why they're waiting on a reply from them. The damned thing doesn't work what else needs to be found out from someone besides myself.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

real_scud posted:

Those of you who had to RMA a 7 or 10, how long did it take? I called customer support about my 10 that's unable to stay powered on and it's been 4 days with no response. I did get some email chain started about it being forwarded to someone else

I don't get who the hell it's forwarded to and why they're waiting on a reply from them. The damned thing doesn't work what else needs to be found out from someone besides myself.

I called to RMA my wife's Nexus 10 two nights ago (random reboots), a new one is arriving tomorrow and they emailed us UPS labels to ship the old one back. I'm surprised it is taking so long for you to get a response, I'd call back.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just wanted to say I finally got my Transformer Infinity (TF700t) bootloader unlocked with the official Asus apk and I installed Clean Rom Inheritance (CROMI).

Holy poo poo :stare: this thing is like a whole new tablet. Gone is the horrible UI lag and major I/O problems from the Asus stock ROM. This tablet is dreamy now :swoon:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's a widget. If you don't like it, push and hold on it then drag it to the trash.
You actually don't even have to do this, you can just hold and then throw it off of the screen at speed and it flies away.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

When you buy a Nexus 7 they give you some free content and associate it to your Google account. That for me included a few magazines, a couple dozen songs of various genres, some Bourne book, and a Transformers movie. None of it is downloaded to the device until you go to actually read/watch/listen to it, it's just there in your cloud library.

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess that's why I suddenly had two purchased items in YouTube. I don't mind a free copy of Ice Age!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

You actually don't even have to do this, you can just hold and then throw it off of the screen at speed and it flies away.
I just tried this and the widget just bounces back. Are you sure it's the default launcher that does this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I just tried this and the widget just bounces back. Are you sure it's the default launcher that does this?

Definitely.