Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I'm meaning the engine sits tilted drastically toward the right when it's in the car. In the picture it's clear that it's hanging with the block perfectly vertical, like a nissan I6 or what have you. When you have this situation and you're trying to make the mounts etc line up it is a HUGE oval office to install, makes me think the picture is staged.

It looks pretty slanted to me. Aren't we looking at the bottom of the oil pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

It looks pretty slanted to me. Aren't we looking at the bottom of the oil pan?
It is, but it appears to be slanted the wrong direction, based on the cutaway image just before that. I know there are two axis levelers now - I can't imagine why a BMW race technician wouldn't be using one.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

but it appears to be slanted the wrong direction, based on the cutaway image just before that.

They both seem to have the valve cover pointed to the passenger side to me? :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

They both seem to have the valve cover pointed to the passenger side to me? :shrug:
Look at the inlet pipes. In the cutaway, they're pointed mostly toward the driver side, albeit slightly up. In the engine out pic, they're nearly vertical.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Krakkles posted:

Look at the inlet pipes. In the cutaway, they're pointed mostly toward the driver side, albeit slightly up. In the engine out pic, they're nearly vertical
It looks like that because they're photographed looking up at the engine. The bottom of the oil pan is level with the photographer and the edge of the hood, therefore the engine is level. You think the Mosport techs don't know what they're doing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, that engine looks pretty level to me. Maybe a little off, but not much.

Unless they did it differently back then, M30s have the lift points above the water pump and the starter motor, so they're pretty much vertically above the motor's centre of mass when it's at its installation angle in the car. It should hang from a crane at about the same angle as it sits in the engine bay.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

He was born in the 1850s, did most of his best work between the mid 1880s and the mid 1910s, and died in 1943, so I'm not sure about "a few centuries", but he was a loving genius. It's too bad so much tinfoil hattery and wacky conspiracy theory crap is tied to his name these days.

Yes, I knew he was born in the late 1800s and died in the mid 1900s, but I generally just wanted to post what a dick Tommy Edison was. He and Nikola had a fight over AC vs DC so in order to win favor, Tom decided to electricute an elephant using Nicks' choice of transit. TAE was really a douche.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Viggen posted:

He and Nikola had a fight over AC vs DC so in order to win favor, Tom decided to electricute an elephant using Nicks' choice of transit.

He also tried to promote the term "westinghoused" as a synonym for "electrocuted", Westinghouse being Tesla's employer and Edison's main competitor.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sagebrush posted:

He also tried to promote the term "westinghoused" as a synonym for "electrocuted", Westinghouse being Tesla's employer and Edison's main competitor.

RMS vs TAE. Oh god... OH GOD!

I doubt Tommy ever picked his toes and ate it on stage, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Rocket Salad posted:

It looks like that because they're photographed looking up at the engine. The bottom of the oil pan is level with the photographer and the edge of the hood, therefore the engine is level. You think the Mosport techs don't know what they're doing?
No, but apparently Slavvy does. I disagree with your assessment of the angle causing that appearance, but I doubt that tech is in any way doing it wrong. If it's as big a problem putting it in as Slavvy implied, I'd be surprised at the tech not using the appropriate tool. It's quite normal to need to rotate an engine slightly from how it hangs on a crane to install, though, and god knows it only takes one hand on loving big block, so I can't imagine it's that hard on that engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe the e9 is different, but every m30 car I've put an engine into was pretty tricky because the rubber mount feet (on the chassis) point diagonally toward the top of the engine and have studs sticking out. Usually the easiest method is to suspend the engine in the bay and bolt on the mounts (on the engine) afterward. The engine isn't balanced side to side like a v8, it is much heavier on the right hand side (I imagine this is exacerbated by not having the big clunky manifold of a road car) so tilting it can be a bitch as the lift points aren't at the center of gravity.

I'll shut up now anyway.

edit: as a side note, the hanger attached to the water pump and chain cover has a tendency to bend one of it's bolts and crack the timing chain cover. It is not a very rugged design and I suspect the motorsport version would have something more robust.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Oh jeez those Alfa 75s. My dad had the 2 litre twin-spark model when i was a wee lad and i absolutely loved that car. I literally cried the day he sold it off.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
God damnit I love Alfa's. My only real reason for ever making any money at all, just so I can fuel one with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXhvTwUa8U

So how much do these cost used?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Friend complained, asking why there were ads all over this car. I had no words.

Gulf Aventador :swoon:

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I saw this in my warehouse. We deal with CAT stuff first but we see a lot of Land Rover parts and the occasional Volvo piece come by. Never saw a BMW warning this dire though.

BEWARE THE SHEETMETAL PARTS MY FRIENDS, FOR THEY ARE SINISTER AT THE LEAST!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My friend is a huge Audi fanatic and has one of these, if I remember right he picked it up for less than $3,000 and has put $5,000 worth of work into it.

A quick CL search yielded this; not exactly what's in that video but I believe it's all the same stuff in a wagon
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3431954993.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tusen Takk posted:

My friend is a huge Audi fanatic and has one of these, if I remember right he picked it up for less than $3,000 and has put $5,000 worth of work into it.

A quick CL search yielded this; not exactly what's in that video but I believe it's all the same stuff in a wagon
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3431954993.html

Jesus christ, I need this in my life.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

RMS vs TAE. Oh god... OH GOD!

I doubt Tommy ever picked his toes and ate it on stage, though.

Who is RMS?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

A Jaguar XJ220 at the Heritage Motor Museum. The XJ220 is already a pretty awesome car, but this particular one is a prototype with the V12 that was planned before being nixed and replaced with a V6. Awesome!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They've got a one-77 there haven't they? Did you get any shots of that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A student posted:

Who is RMS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

They've got a one-77 there haven't they? Did you get any shots of that?

Nope, they don't have a One 77, maybe they used to, but not any more. They do have one of only two RHD DB AR1's and a tracked Land Rover, however which are both pretty cool

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Those stacks HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG :gizz:

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
(quoted from a few pages back:)
Ah, the Audi Avus Quattro. A model of this magnificent vision in chrome was a focal point of my room for years. I believe it went on to inspire the TT's styling , and it was the granddaddy of the R8 as well as a landmark in Audi's pioneering use of aluminum.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

kastein posted:

I know you're kidding, but the only reason the Prius is even possible is the fact that buck/boost converters have made massive strides in efficiency and power capability over the last 20 years. And one of the only reasons they've improved so much is that the frequencies they run at have skyrocketed, allowing designers to use much smaller inductors and capacitors without losing efficiency due to switching losses. For instance the "picoPSU" is a 120 watt ATX power supply that takes 12 volt DC input and supplies all the power rails needed to run an ATX motherboard and a few drives, at 96% efficiency, in a package barely larger than a regular ATX motherboard power plug. The same power supply in the original IBM PC weighed around 3 pounds and was two or three times the size of a standard ATX power supply, and produced half as much power... at something like 60-80% efficiency.

The EV1 had a 137 hp ac motor driven by a variable speed vector based controller off a DC bus in 1996. The EMD SD70MAC locomotive used similar motor control, and was pulling line haul freight in 1993. The prius has some sick tech, but the reasons for it not being produced earlier were political, not technological.

The prius is possible without the buck boost converter. It is used because they desired to limit battery cell count and therefore, total battery voltage and system cost, while still using IGBTs for the motor controller. They could have sidestepped the buck boost converter by using a higher cell count pack with more output voltage, or a higher current lower voltage motor controller with MOSFETs and the same battery pack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dMf8j3rBzqY

Audi Quattro Rally car chops a telephone pole in half.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

There's a whole lotta :fsmug: in that driveway. I am jealous.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Please tell me that the cardboard is only there to size/build a proper panel, and not support. :ohdear:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Root Bear posted:

There's a whole lotta :fsmug: in that driveway. I am jealous.

So there are two Camaros, a third off frame, a fastback Mustang, and a.... lovely 90s Cougar?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

drat that vulva's seen some tough love. Really awesome though and it makes me think it should have been a factory option.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Viggen posted:

Please tell me that the cardboard is only there to size/build a proper panel, and not support. :ohdear:

The car's in-progress; the guy's got a build thread on Turbobricks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 13, 2013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picture doesn't do it justice watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Wrq4HyDxs
1956 Ford Victoria with the guts of a 2007 Roush Mustang.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Picture doesn't do it justice watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Wrq4HyDxs
1956 Ford Victoria with the guts of a 2007 Roush Mustang.

Holy crap....that is awesome.

"George" starts out saying he did everything except for the chrome himself, then he starts showing pictures of it sitting in shops where work is being done, talks about someone putting on the front clip and talks about who did the upholstery. Not to diminish the build at all.....but come on George. Towing it places and writing checks isn't doing it yourself.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Raluek posted:

So there are two Camaros, a third off frame, a fastback Mustang, and a.... lovely 90s Cougar?

MN12's are not lovely, they are awesome. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PhotoKirk posted:

MN12's are not lovely, they are awesome. :colbert:

I guess there are fans for anything. Can you imagine walking out of the house in the morning, looking at that driveway, and then sighing to yourself that you have to move your '69 Camaro out of the way so you can get to the car you really want to drive?