Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ALL YOUR BASE posted:

So now that all the DA stuff has been revealed, what are some DA units that make good Grey knights allies? Purifier spam with raven wing anyone?

DA are tainted by heresy. Purge the unclean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Manifest posted:

DA are tainted by heresy. Purge the unclean.

This is what I keep telling our DA player. 'Join us, you're halfway to Chaos already.'

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've been looking around after a Death Korps of Krieg counts-as Guardsman Marbo, but haven't seen anyone really bothering with it. Anyone has any ideas/pictures of such a wondrous thing?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

This is what I keep telling our DA player. 'Join us, you're halfway to Chaos already.'

I get the impression that the new army book really belabors this point. Can anyone who has the book clarify?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

TheBlobThing posted:

I've been looking around after a Death Korps of Krieg counts-as Guardsman Marbo, but haven't seen anyone really bothering with it. Anyone has any ideas/pictures of such a wondrous thing?

I just googled "Krieg Marbo" and easily came up with a few good looking versions:

http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Painting&action=display&thread=15591&page=5
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?313837-Krieg-quot-Marbo-quot

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Fix posted:

GW released an updated version of Kill Team for 6th. For free! :aaa:

The rules are made for 200 point games to be played in 30 minutes, with leader models gaining experience over an event 8 games long. Not bad.

Looking through this, Necrons really can't make any interesting lists. All of their customisation and interesting wargear is tied up in a royal court, which is HQ so can't be taken. is a shame. Most thematic would be Deathmarks, Wraiths and Scarabs, but none of them have any interesting quirks or personality to use. even if you could just have 1 model from a royal court per kill-team, they'd be a lot more fun. Guess I'd play chaos if i ever took part in kill-team.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Manifest posted:

I get the impression that the new army book really belabors this point. Can anyone who has the book clarify?

Well to be fair I tell that to all the Space Marine players in our group. The Relictors (the counts-as BA army one of the other guys uses) have been struck from the Imperium books, are a Renegade chapter and are hated by other SM for collecting Chaos relics. As for our Wolves player...I don't know much about them but they used to fight side-by-side with Relictors, so that's good enough for me. But our DA player wants to incorporate the hunt for the Fallen into the campaign we're starting up, so they've got plenty of opportunity for Chaotic-ness.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Oh man, Relictors. Probably my favorite chapter, I always wanted a radical GK/Relictors teamup, and now I might be able to have a good one. My poor, poor wallet.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

krushgroove posted:

As for our Wolves player...I don't know much about them but they used to fight side-by-side with Relictors, so that's good enough for me.

Space Wolves in the fluff seem about as close to knowing how full of poo poo the Imperium is as you can get and not fall to Chaos or go renegade. I'd say it's honestly down to the weight of their traditions and history as a First Founding legion that keeps them loyal. (This is in an extra-universe as well as an in-universe sense, in that it seems really farfetched for GW to ever do something that would shake up the setting as much as it would to have one of the original loyalist Legions break ties with the Imperium.)

If a Chapter with less of a privileged position than the Wolves runs into a situation like the aftermath of the first war for Armageddon, they're probably hosed and/or driven into the arms of Chaos. See the Celestial Lions for one example of the former.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 11, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Huh, well, didn't know that. I've been wanting to read the Lexicanum pages about them, but that's enough info for my purposes probably :)

The Gate posted:

Oh man, Relictors. Probably my favorite chapter, I always wanted a radical GK/Relictors teamup, and now I might be able to have a good one. My poor, poor wallet.

I wish I could say our Relictors player picked them because of their shades-of-grey background, but no...he picked them because it's the easiest color scheme! Lazy bastard. He doesn't even care about the fluff, but we're getting him round.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Thanks man. The second one is really cool. I discounted a lot of GIS results because I wanted to keep the signature mask on his face, which a lot of the versions I found didn't do. But I guess it's just a matter of taking a Krieg Guardsman in an "action pose" and strapping all kinds of poo poo to him. The problem is getting a surplus Kriegsman.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ALL YOUR BASE posted:

So now that all the DA stuff has been revealed, what are some DA units that make good Grey knights allies? Purifier spam with raven wing anyone?

The plasma skimmer seems to be a good way to add more AP2 shooting that doesn't come from henchment. And the other skimmer that grants Stealth to everyone nearby can give a small boost to footslogging armies.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Remember that GK aren't Battle Brothers with anyone (because they basically trust the rest of the Imperium as far as they can throw them), so your units won't benefit from anything that only works on friendly models. I'd also argue that, since GK already can get The Shrouding with a Librarian, the skimmer would be a somewhat-unimpressive addition anyways.

On the other hand, being able to add cheap/mobile Melta (via Ravenwing), scoring MEQs (Tacticals/Scouts), or some of the other things GK tends to lack is a perfectly legitimate option.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Remember that GK aren't Battle Brothers with anyone (because they basically trust the rest of the Imperium as far as they can throw them)

On this note, are there any examples in the fluff of radical or borderline radical grey knights outside of the ones who obviously fell to khorne when they killed a squad of SOB and bathed in their blood?

I'm trying to work out a fluffy way to incorporate the radical inquisitor I built into my army.
Also, with grey knights using daemon weapons I don't really buy the whole "NONE PURER" thing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manifest posted:

On this note, are there any examples in the fluff of radical or borderline radical grey knights outside of the ones who obviously fell to khorne when they killed a squad of SOB and bathed in their blood?

I'm trying to work out a fluffy way to incorporate the radical inquisitor I built into my army.
Also, with grey knights using daemon weapons I don't really buy the whole "NONE PURER" thing.

All Grey Knights are uncorruptable. They cannot be corrupted. Except for the purifiers, who are more cannot be corrupted-ed. So while the normal grey knight are like, perfect in their faith the purifiers are more perfecter.

I quite like the fluff crazy things that everyone else bitches about (or I'm at least neutral about it)... minus the purifier fluff. Why bitch about Drago WHEN PURIFIERS ARE MORE PURE THAN THE 100% UNCORRUPTABLE GREY KNIGHTS. They must have negative virginity. They must sweat holy water. If a unicorn fucks it cannot see a purifier.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

LordAba posted:

All Grey Knights are uncorruptable. They cannot be corrupted. Except for the purifiers, who are more cannot be corrupted-ed. So while the normal grey knight are like, perfect in their faith the purifiers are more perfecter.

Sounds like Imperial propaganda to me.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Manifest posted:

I see the SoB bloodbath as a demonstration in how human the grey knights are. It's a peek at their fragile body and mind if you can read between the lines.

The knights were exposed to the taint and had to do something drastic in order to keep themselves protected.

And Crowe is the only one who holds the demon sword because he is the only purifier, among those who have the most resistance to chaos, who can be near the weapon and not go crazy. He even has to be like 10 feet away from his brothers or else the weapon would create havoc.

The grey knights are strong against the taint but they are still slightly human and have a soul to corrupt. The ones that are 'incorruptable' have horrible lives where every second they are fighting off the demons around them and in their minds to the point they become more life-less than a necron warrior.

That's how I choose to see it anyway. Better than just saying. "WARD! :bahgawd:"

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Manifest posted:

I thought part of the fluff was that grey knights never fall?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phyresis posted:

No, I am not certain that any of it works. I'll have to check when I get my Codex.

Ahh, okay. I thought maybe you had access to the codex.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

That's how I choose to see it anyway. Better than just saying. "WARD! :bahgawd:"

Yeah, I saw the Blood Tide thing as an illustration of just how the GK remain incorruptible in a "these are the lengths to which they will go" kind of way. That doesn't forgive the crass menstruation joke, however.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I just looked at the relevant sections of the Codex and I don't see anything stopping it from working. The banner specifies all friendly Codex: Dark Angels units within 6" get the bonus, and the banner works from within the LRC (just like C:SM and C:BA standards). Hurricane bolters are three twin-linked bolters. The banner seems pretty gimmicky overall, though. I'm interested to see if anyone can make it work!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The Emperor's Gift, by ADB isn't bad if you hate Matt Ward Grey Knights and want a bit more of an explanation. ADB really didn't like a lot of the new fluff and most of the book seems to be a big gently caress you to the C:GK fluff.

It deals with whether Grey Knights are actually incorruptible or just incredibly resistant and constantly struggle with it. It also makes them out to be pretty much douchebags forever and no where near as unstoppable as you might think. Also no Dreadknights mentioned at all.

It makes them out to be a powerful but fragile and spread thin order that is all about fighting battles rather than wars and is nothing like a real conventional army. They have a lot of weaknesses and their doctrine in regards to their contact with the rest of the Imperium is pretty fragile. Also at one point They plan to assassinate a non-heretical Inquisitor for political reasons

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Phyresis posted:

I just looked at the relevant sections of the Codex and I don't see anything stopping it from working. The banner specifies all friendly Codex: Dark Angels units within 6" get the bonus, and the banner works from within the LRC (just like C:SM and C:BA standards). Hurricane bolters are three twin-linked bolters. The banner seems pretty gimmicky overall, though. I'm interested to see if anyone can make it work!

Ahh, cool. That is a pretty boss gimmick. I like anything that will encourage players to bring more banners. Waving a huge flag while balls of plasma explode around you is 40K as gently caress.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Karandras posted:

The Emperor's Gift, by ADB isn't bad if you hate Matt Ward Grey Knights and want a bit more of an explanation. ADB really didn't like a lot of the new fluff and most of the book seems to be a big gently caress you to the C:GK fluff.

It deals with whether Grey Knights are actually incorruptible or just incredibly resistant and constantly struggle with it. It also makes them out to be pretty much douchebags forever and no where near as unstoppable as you might think. Also no Dreadknights mentioned at all.

It makes them out to be a powerful but fragile and spread thin order that is all about fighting battles rather than wars and is nothing like a real conventional army. They have a lot of weaknesses and their doctrine in regards to their contact with the rest of the Imperium is pretty fragile. Also at one point They plan to assassinate a non-heretical Inquisitor for political reasons

I just got the ebook of this, I plan on reading it next weekend.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I thought part of the fluff was that grey knights never fall?

Imperial propaganda!

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Dark Angel's iBook codex is downloading now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Adrian Finol posted:

Dark Angel's iBook codex is downloading now.

Yep...same here. :negative:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Apparently the more popular FLG in town likes running at 1850 instead of 2k like I'm used to so I had to retool my 'what to paint first' GK list. Originally wanted Mordrak running interference first turn while two land raider crusaders storm up to unload their DCA meat grinders, but didn't really feel like there was going to be enough bodies on the board at that point level. Still really want to give the dual LRC GK list a try though and came up with this:

HQ

Coteaz in LRC #1 (100 pts)

Xenos Inquisitor w/ Rad + Psycho grenades in LRC #2 (55 pts)

Elite

Purifier x 10 (345 pts)
-4 psycannon, 5 halberd, 1 hammer
-Razorback w/ psy ammo

Troops

LRC #1 Henchmen (180 Pts)
-Crusader x4
-D.C.A. x8

LRC #2 Henchmen (180 Pts)
-Crusader x4
-D.C.A. x8

Vehicle Kamikaze Squad (100 Pts)
-Warrior w/ Multi-melta x3
-warrior x2
-Razorback w/psybolt

Hot Plasma Vendors #1 (117 Pts)
-Warrior w/Plasma Gun x3
-Warrior w/Bolters x7
-Rhino

Hot Plasma Vendors #2 (117)
-Warrior w/Plasma Gun x3
-Warrior w/Bolters x7
-Rhino

Heavy

Psyfleman Dread (135 Pts)

LRC w/ Psybolt Ammo #1 (260 Pts)

LRC w/ Psybolt Ammo #2 (260 Pts)

-1849 points total

Now I haven't given 6th Edition or GK's a solid try yet, so I'm going more on what I've heard n' read. One of my concerns is that I don't have solid anti-air. Would it be worth dropping the multi-melta warrior squad for an Aegis Line w/ gun? I planned on combat squading the purifiers into two groups and could have one behind the Aegis but I'm losing even more bodies. Not even sure if I should squad them and just grab a rhino instead. Should I drop a pair of bolter warriors from each plasma squad to toss a multi-melta on the LRC's? Kind of iffy on putting more points there now that they can get glanced to death. And there is very little armor/invul saves on most of my guys. I was debating putting some terminators instead of DCA/Crusaders in one of the LRC's, but I get the feeling they won't do as well in combat, as well as being a bigger points investment.

Anything I should really change up or worry about?

Edit: Club seems to be 75% marine players of all kinds, with orks behind that. Don't think I've seen any tau, DE, or Eldar players but saw a single guy running Necrons

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 12, 2013

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

TheBlobThing posted:

Thanks man. The second one is really cool. I discounted a lot of GIS results because I wanted to keep the signature mask on his face, which a lot of the versions I found didn't do. But I guess it's just a matter of taking a Krieg Guardsman in an "action pose" and strapping all kinds of poo poo to him. The problem is getting a surplus Kriegsman.
The closest I had at hand picturewise is Krieg Harker:

It's from this thread over here -> http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/499013.page
which is filled with all kinds of amazing stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Karandras posted:

In all honesty, Emperor's Gift made me want to play Space Wolves more than anything else.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I thought I read or heard somewhere that the Grey Knights are :airquote:incorruptible:airquote: because the runes etched on their bones or whatever will essentially cause them to physically self-destruct before they can actually fall to Chaos.

In which case it's not so much mental fortitude (though they probably have more of that than even your average Astartes) as a fail-safe mechanism.

Safety Factor posted:

In all honesty, Emperor's Gift made me want to play Space Wolves more than anything else.

Also this. You know what gets me? As of the "present day," Logan Grimnar has been the Great Wolf for 700+ years. That means that in M41.444, when all this poo poo went down, he wasn't very far into his tenure at all. He basically did the stone cold no-bullshit moral stand poo poo that we see in Emperor's Gift as a freshman Chapter Master, compared to what he is "now."

Granted that a Great Wolf who's held the position for about thirty seconds is still probably in the top ten list of badasses in the Imperium, but it's amazing to think that he's had five hundred years since then to become even more hardass and disinclined to take your poo poo.

And that is awesome.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 12, 2013

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that the Grey Knights are :airquote:incorruptible:airquote: because the runes etched on their bones or whatever will essentially cause them to physically self-destruct before they can actually fall to Chaos.

In which case it's not so much mental fortitude (though they probably have more of that than even your average Astartes) as a fail-safe mechanism.

That's a pretty brilliant way of doing it. Definitely makes them a lot easier to empathize with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The only thing I actually dont like about the DA book is that it says Lion El'Jonson is sleeping in the rock waiting for his prince to come and give him a kiss to wake him up.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

The only thing I actually dont like about the DA book is that it says Lion El'Jonson is sleeping in the rock waiting for his prince to come and give him a kiss to wake him up.

That's been hinted since Codex: Angels of Death.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Safety Factor posted:

'Sup? :respek:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Emperor's Gift and the Night Lords trilogy are proof, if it were needed, that the fluff in the codex books should be left to ADB and ADB alone to write.

PeterWeller posted:

That's been hinted since Codex: Angels of Death.

I think it was pretty explicit in Angels of Death.

...it needs to be with tongues.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Also, for the 0.001% of you with the Games Workshop Psyker App, it just updated for the Dark Angels codex.

I'm also going to go ahead and recommend the app; it costs about the same as buying the physical cards, but in addition to having convenient access to the individual psychic powers, it also has definitions for different types of powers, some of the status effects, etc., it also allows you to keep track of your Warp Charges and powers used (while doubling as a turn counter). On top of that, you can even take a picture of the unit you just buffed.

It also makes laser sounds when you use a shooting power. Pew pew! :3:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
So, as some of you have probably noticed, I'm collecting IG. Is this list terrible? I'm mainly going to play against Necrons and CSM in a beerhammer setting.

code:
+++ Death Korps of Krieg (1500pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (100pts)

* Company Command Squad (100pts) 
        3x Plasma Gun, Vox Caster
        * Company Commander
            Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol

+ Elites + (65pts)

* Guardsman Marbo (65pts) 

+ Troops + (890pts)

* Infantry Platoon (240pts) 
        * Infantry Squad
            Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Commissar
                Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
            * Sergeant
        * Infantry Squad
            Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Commissar
            * Sergeant
        * Platoon Command Squad
            3x Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Platoon Commander

* Infantry Platoon (315pts) 
        * Heavy Weapons Squad
            3x Autocannon
        * Infantry Squad
            Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Commissar
            * Sergeant
        * Infantry Squad
            Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Commissar
            * Sergeant
        * Platoon Command Squad
            3x Flamer, Vox Caster
            * Platoon Commander

* Veteran Squad (170pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun
        * Chimera
            Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser
        * Veteran Sergeant

* Veteran Squad (170pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun
        * Chimera
            Heavy Flamer, Multi-laser
        * Veteran Sergeant

+ Fast Attack + (130pts)

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta
            2 Twin-linked Lascannons

+ Heavy Support + (310pts)

* Leman Russ Squadron (185pts) 
        * Leman Russ
            Heavy Bolters, Lascannon

* Ordnance Battery (125pts) 
        * Basilisk
            Heavy Bolter

Created with BattleScribe

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

It is a beaut. Imagine how much it costs normally from ForgeWorld (over £900 I think?) then tack on the cost of the airbrushing...wow.
Err, that one's actually scratchbuilt.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah it's pretty much a 4 hour+ Space Wolf boner

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Come on GW, just release an FAQ that allows any model that can take a missile launcher (or an EML or rokkit launcha) to buy flakk missiles for +10 points. You're going to do it with every book anyway, don't make some of us wait until a week before 7th to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

adamantium|wang posted:

Come on GW, just release an FAQ that allows any model that can take a missile launcher (or an EML or rokkit launcha) to buy flakk missiles for +10 points. You're going to do it with every book anyway, don't make some of us wait until a week before 7th to use them.

They haven't done this because not every model with missile launchers has access to flakks. Chaos Space Marines and Chosen cannot upgrade their missile launchers with flakks, but Havocs can. Dark Angels Company Veterans, Tactical Squads, and Devastator Squads can all upgrade to flakks but cyclone and typhoon missile launchers can't. Also that doesn't really help out the non-Ork xenos very much. Not to mention flakks aren't great against AV12.

TheBlobThing posted:

So, as some of you have probably noticed, I'm collecting IG. Is this list terrible? I'm mainly going to play against Necrons and CSM in a beerhammer setting.

This list is not terrible at all but I have some suggestions to make it better. Your CCS needs a Chimera (and the 4th plasma gun) and you can drop all the vox casters, they are largely a waste of points. The Infantry Platoons should be combined into one big platoon so that you have the option to make a huge blob if you want, or split it up depending on the situation and deployment. It gives you more tactical options. The PCS for the huge blob needs a Chimera. Lascannon sponsons on Leman Russes are terrible because the main gun is Ordnance... they can only ever snap fire if you shoot the main gun. Regular Russes are not that great, either. I'd upgrade it to a Demolisher.

Other than that, this looks pretty much just like the lists I run.

e: Oh yeah, the Infantry Squad Sergeants need power axes. They are just amazing for the cost.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 12, 2013

• Locked thread