Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Did the alt on an 03 civic snorebox lx. gently caress honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Just got the wheels on.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Found out that the clunking from the rear was sway bar bushings, and had them replaced. Also new front brake pads for inspection. Good till '14!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Replaced it with this:

2006 Saturn Ion 3, coupe, 5 speed, 67k miles. Sunroof, power locks/mirrors/windows, foglights, CD player. 1 owner, clean Autocheck.

Paid a bit more than I wanted to, since Carmax = no haggle :downs: but they gave me $1200 for the Altima, and financed me at a much lower (still rear end raping) interest rate than what the buy here pay here lots were offering. They offered several financing options (18, 24, 36, 60 month), the 60 month APR is only 0.5% higher than 18 month.. so I went that route, fully intending to pay it off within 3 years (but using that option so that my minimum payment is a lot lower, just in case I run into a lean month).

It's at a lot a few cities away, I take delivery tomorrow after work. And I have 5 days to change my mind, in case it winds up having issues. :woop:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Good deal STR, doesn't the middle mounted gauges irk you a little bit though? I'd have bought a Ion way back when instead of my Focus if it didn't have middle mounted gauges.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

Replaced it with this:

It begins.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Good deal STR, doesn't the middle mounted gauges irk you a little bit though? I'd have bought a Ion way back when instead of my Focus if it didn't have middle mounted gauges.

A good friend has an Ion Redline and my girlfriend has a Mini Cooper, both of which have middle mounted gauges. At first glance it seems a little strange, but after 5 minutes you get used to it and it's just fine. Felt the same way about the HUD in my Z06.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Replaced it with this:

2006 Saturn Ion 3, coupe, 5 speed, 67k miles. Sunroof, power locks/mirrors/windows, foglights, CD player. 1 owner, clean Autocheck.

I'm sure Tusen Takk can hook you up with some rad mods :hurr:

(In all seriousness, congrats and many many trouble free miles to you)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I rented an Ion a few years back and didn't even realize that I was looking at the middle of the dash until the second time I'd driven it...so take that as you will.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It doesn't take much to get used to the cluster, though the dash still looks a little awkward. I've driven a Yaris and an Echo before, both of which had the same setup.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I did a reverse burnout in it. I guess it prefers going backwards.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Replaced it with this:

Paid a bit more than I wanted to, since Carmax = no haggle :downs: but they gave me $1200 for the Altima, and financed me at a much lower (still rear end raping) interest rate than what the buy here pay here lots were offering. They offered several financing options (18, 24, 36, 60 month), the 60 month APR is only 0.5% higher than 18 month.. so I went that route, fully intending to pay it off within 3 years (but using that option so that my minimum payment is a lot lower, just in case I run into a lean month).

It's at a lot a few cities away, I take delivery tomorrow after work. And I have 5 days to change my mind, in case it winds up having issues. :woop:

DELTABROS 4 LYFE

Clean car, enjoy it.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I've been getting a vibration coming from the rear of the 4runner at ~40 km/h since I bought it, so I am going through a process of elimination to figure out what it it. Tonight, I un-bolted the rear yoke from the diff with the intention of checking the u-joints and slide to see how they are moving. The bolts came out fine, but the yoke was frozen to the flange on the diff... I didn't want to fight with it too much (and had to rack a batch of beer) so I just put the bolts back in and greased up both u-joints.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, I just realized the Ion has an internal slave on the transaxle.

:suicide:

Hopefully it never lets go..

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Oh god, I just realized the Ion has an internal slave on the transaxle.

:suicide:

Hopefully it never lets go..

You'll just have to be sure to do it with the clutch :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hooray for new car!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Timmy Cruise posted:

I've been getting a vibration coming from the rear of the 4runner at ~40 km/h since I bought it, so I am going through a process of elimination to figure out what it it. Tonight, I un-bolted the rear yoke from the diff with the intention of checking the u-joints and slide to see how they are moving. The bolts came out fine, but the yoke was frozen to the flange on the diff... I didn't want to fight with it too much (and had to rack a batch of beer) so I just put the bolts back in and greased up both u-joints.

I don't recall exactly how a Toyota flanged driveshaft goes together, but generally I solve this problem with one of those red handled mechanics prybars, the two foot long one. If it doesn't solve the problem, it's time for a 3 foot wrecking bar.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

I don't recall exactly how a Toyota flanged driveshaft goes together, but generally I solve this problem with one of those red handled mechanics prybars, the two foot long one. If it doesn't solve the problem, it's time for a 3 foot wrecking bar.

That's what I was planning, except k don't have one yet :v:. Still building the tool collection.

It looks like just a small hub type arrangement for centering from what I've seen.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I made a camera mount for my first rallycross tomorrow :dance:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went to Carmax yesterday (you guys know this). Talked to them. Saw this when I showed up today.

Handed over the keys and title for the Altima, signed entirely too many papers, handed over a little bit of cash, and drove home in this

(link goes to album)

2006 Saturn Ion 3 coupe, 5 speed, 2.2L; power windows/locks/mirrors, a/c, sunroof, keyless entry + factory alarm, CD player, fog lights, OE spoiler. A hair under 67k miles, and could pass for 1-2 years old. The only defect I could find anywhere was a small chip in the hood (barely visible).

The DBW took a little getting used to. Smoothest clutch I've ever used though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
There may be a way to tweak the DBW to respond precisely to your foot input. Most cars with DBW have conservative response curves to keep fuel consumption down, my google-fu isn't turning up any results on if you can just get tweak it through the computer, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's the standard late model GM ECU, which apparently has an insane amount of options available (if you buy some laughably expensive software and a laptop interface).

I've driven an automatic Cobalt (mechanically the same car), and the DBW was horrbile. With the manual, it's really not bad at all, I just had to learn to time the clutch a little differently.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

It's the standard late model GM ECU, which apparently has an insane amount of options available (if you buy some laughably expensive software and a laptop interface).

I've driven an automatic Cobalt (mechanically the same car), and the DBW was horrbile. With the manual, it's really not bad at all, I just had to learn to time the clutch a little differently.

Congrats on your car. I really like the looks of it. Actually it's a drat good looking car that almost lures you into denial of the electrical gremlins attached to it.

No, the GM ECU has no real features compared to every other "new" OBD-II/CAN-bus ECU. Well, yes, there's a few more piggy back programmers available for it than for most ECUs, but why do you want to gently caress with it.

Also welcome to the AI Silver-Car-Club. We've got 3 choices for color: Silver, Silver with more silver and Silver with flakes. Enjoy the anonymity.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Altima was also silver, just a darker shade of silver. :v: To be honest, silver was my second to last choice - my last choice being black. Black is a no-go with our summers unless you have covered parking/garage everywhere. Silver just because it's kind of boring. I didn't realize until an hour after I took delivery that the windows were tinted though :doh: fairly dark, actually. About as dark as I would have gone, had I been getting it tinted. I'm going to assume the original owner had them tinted, and as such, probably decent tint, since it hasn't curled up into a ball of purple bubbles yet...

The only reason I'd want to modify the ECU is to try and reduce the lag in the DBW throttle. Also, uh, just in case I, uh, do something stupid like.. strap forced induction on it. :suicide:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

The only reason I'd want to modify the ECU is to try and reduce the lag in the DBW throttle. Also, uh, just in case I, uh, do something stupid like.. strap forced induction on it. :suicide:

Well, for mounting a turbo you'll have to buy a piggy back for that ECU anyways or entirely ditch it and roll your own. To reduce the lag on the throttle on the factory ECU... Good luck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Why roll my own when there's a factory ECU that will plug and play? I mean, GM offered a turbo version in this chassis.. along with a supercharged version. :iiam:

Not that there's any plans to do so, but the option is there if I cared to do so with factory parts and...... :tinfoil: gently caress, I already sound like TT. :arghfist:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 12, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Join cobaltss.net and find someone in your area with HPtuners.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Join cobaltss.net and find someone in your area with HPtuners.

I can see several reasons not to. It's not only his daily drive but also an absolutely necessary tool for his work and income. He'll probably need some income to finally actually own it in half a decade.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sir Cornelius posted:

I can see several reasons not to. It's not only his daily drive but also an absolutely necessary tool for his work and income. He'll probably need some income to finally actually own it in half a decade.

Let me make my own decisions, Dad!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why roll my own when there's a factory ECU that will plug and play? I mean, GM offered a turbo version in this chassis.. along with a supercharged version. :iiam:

Not that there's any plans to do so, but the option is there if I cared to do so with factory parts and...... :tinfoil: gently caress, I already sound like TT. :arghfist:

I think this whole thing is an elaborate ruse to get into TT's pants. Honestly, what other reason is there to purchase a Saturn Ion?

(mostly kidding, str, it will be far less in maintenance, let's just hope you aren't paying too much interest to the bank)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

(mostly kidding, str, it will be far less in maintenance, let's just hope you aren't paying too much interest to the bank)

I don't know man, TT seems like a high-maintenance type of dude.

:haw:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

I don't know man, TT seems like a high-maintenance type of dude.

:haw:

I think you're wrong. If we feed him enough obsolete turbos, he'll probably stay around forever.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
STR, why did you post you bought a new Saturn twice on this page?

Installed these:

Embracing my flatbed.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 12, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Billy Tully posted:

I made a camera mount for my first rallycross tomorrow :dance:

Nice work, but I think you'll end up with shaky video because of how the mounting hole on the camera is located. They're really only meant for stationary applications. I'd put some kind of padding between the other end of the camera and the bar. If that's not enough, you need to figure out how to solidly mount the camera at both ends.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

StormDrain posted:

STR, why did you post you bought a new Saturn twice on this page?

Installed these:

Embracing my flatbed.

He's just excited to have a car that (theoretically) won't break every other time he starts it up. Cut him some slack.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Nice work, but I think you'll end up with shaky video because of how the mounting hole on the camera is located. They're really only meant for stationary applications. I'd put some kind of padding between the other end of the camera and the bar. If that's not enough, you need to figure out how to solidly mount the camera at both ends.

I was trying to wiggle it around today while I was sitting in the back seat. Seemed pretty sturdy. We'll have to see how it turns out. Ace got video of the two laps he did as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

He's just excited to have a car that (theoretically) won't break every other time he starts it up. Cut him some slack.

That, and the first post was when I had asked them to bring it up from another lot. The second post, about 24 hours later, was after I actually took delivery.. :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KozmoNaut posted:

Thanks, I tried it out today and the shaking wasn't too bad but its making some weird noise probably for the exact reasons you mention. I'm going to improve on it for next months race. I may make an adapter for the camera so that the mounting is in the middle to attach to the bar or put some firm foam on the other side of the camera like you said.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was trying to wiggle it around today while I was sitting in the back seat. Seemed pretty sturdy. We'll have to see how it turns out. Ace got video of the two laps he did as well.

It's not a matter of wiggling. It's because it's a camera on a stick. The stick can vibrate, picking up harmonics through the seat back. The rubber suggestion was sound. It would help damp the vibration. You may not have issues, but also you may.

Sorry about calling it a stick. Tired and my brain isn't working so well today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Not my ride.

Helped my friend do a head swap on his 91 tercel. Heres what we found after tearing the old block apart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWftwmQulA

And heres the new block with HG and the head: