Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Baalfrog posted:

Biggest problem with FF IX is that there is only Ozma for the superbosses, why are there no others. Ozma is stupidly easy.

All the other stuff, I collected all the chocographs and also the dead pepper treasures, collected all the cards and all that. I rarely do anything like that just for giggles. Collecting all the cards in VIII at least had some gameplay use to break the game at the earliest point and farming items via card mod and CC group on Ragnarok on disc 4.

The difference here is that while you can collect cards to break the game early, you also collect cards to make the game boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

There's a few others but they're nothing worthwhile. Hades barely is worth acknowledging.

What about the friendly Yan huh? :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a few others but they're nothing worthwhile. Hades barely is worth acknowledging.

The best thing about Hades is if you've already beaten Ozma by the time you confront him, he freaks out slightly at the prospect of having to fight you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well, there's the optional boss Tantarian (or whatever his name is). I actually kinda like optional bosses scattered throughout the game where the rewards might actually be worth using, as opposed to superbosses where any rewards will be pointless (short of NG+ modes).

Ozma CAN be hard- especially if you don't do the sidequest to weaken him and don't put all your attack inputs in during his attack animations. He's heavily luck-based, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of not worthwhile sidequests, has anyone here tried to legitimately obtain Excalibur II? I'm confused as to why Square would even put that in, I honestly thought it was one of those "bring Aeris back to life" rumors. It just seems like you'd miss out on a ton of items and Steiner is incredibly strong by Memoria anyway.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baalfrog posted:

Biggest problem with FF IX is that there is only Ozma for the superbosses, why are there no others. Ozma is stupidly easy.

All the other stuff, I collected all the chocographs and also the dead pepper treasures, collected all the cards and all that. I rarely do anything like that just for giggles. Collecting all the cards in VIII at least had some gameplay use to break the game at the earliest point and farming items via card mod and CC group on Ragnarok on disc 4.

What?
I'm still to beat Ozma without the friendly animals and without excessive grinding.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Aureon posted:

What?
I'm still to beat Ozma without the friendly animals and without excessive grinding.

That's not challenge though, that's Standard JRPG Bullshit.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The GIG posted:

That's not challenge though, that's Standard JRPG Bullshit.

gently caress keeping track of every goddamn single friendly animal i have met or not, and gently caress spending an hour on each of the 12 or so.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't even count Hades or Tantarian as they are way easier than Ozma :D.

Aureon posted:

gently caress keeping track of every goddamn single friendly animal i have met or not, and gently caress spending an hour on each of the 12 or so.

Well the friendly animals give a crapload of AP so they are worth getting the first chance you get, but hunting them later is probably not so necessary. The friendly Yan gives you a Rosetta ring though, which is very valuable.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aureon posted:

There's a trick to getting friendly creatures to show up really, really quickly. Same with Ragtime Mouse.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Aureon posted:

Gotta love obtuse crap to make things less obtuse.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of not worthwhile sidequests, has anyone here tried to legitimately obtain Excalibur II? I'm confused as to why Square would even put that in, I honestly thought it was one of those "bring Aeris back to life" rumors. It just seems like you'd miss out on a ton of items and Steiner is incredibly strong by Memoria anyway.

It's a reward for speedrunners, I don't see the problem.

It's possible to get Excalibur II and not miss anything.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't like to think of Tantarian as optional, but that's just because the thought of playing through FF9 without auto-haste to speed up the combat is horrifying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Auto-haste of course reducing ATB times by about a second and a half :v: Its only real use is to speed the frequency of Regen considering the way the first-in-line battle system works.

I'm not getting the criticism of Ozma being the only/biggest optional boss, it works perfectly within the game's mathematical scope. In terms of tactics, planning, and prep, it's what I imagine every SMT player ever asks for. It's a sprint, not a marathon; marathon bosses are horrible, lazy design decisions anyway.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Was re-releasing FFVII for the PC just a desperate attempt to milk some more coin from the FFVII fan crowd or is there potential for them to give other FFs the same treatment?

I know I could at least get VIII for the PC in its original form, but since I've progressed from Windows 98, one shudders to think of the headaches that would bring. Ultimately I would love a PC port of IX, legitimate at least.

Unfortunately, out of the three PSOne FFs, that was the only one not to get ported to the PC originally. Which probably means between it and VIII, it doesn't have a great chance.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

The White Dragon posted:

Auto-haste of course reducing ATB times by about a second and a half :v: Its only real use is to speed the frequency of Regen considering the way the first-in-line battle system works.

I'm not getting the criticism of Ozma being the only/biggest optional boss, it works perfectly within the game's mathematical scope. In terms of tactics, planning, and prep, it's what I imagine every SMT player ever asks for. It's a sprint, not a marathon; marathon bosses are horrible, lazy design decisions anyway.

Well there is not much strategy involved. Equip every character with armor that nullifies/absorbs dark element, put some status immunities, get Eiko with mini, Quina with bunch of Remedies or just plain Remedy thing without Quina and don't attack while Ozma is standing still. If you ask me things like Emerald from VII and Omega from VIII are way better superbosses. Stuff from X is also pretty neat, but as you said they kinda packing way too much HP is lazy, even with the increased damage cap. Penance in particular is a pain to take down.

gredgie posted:

Was re-releasing FFVII for the PC just a desperate attempt to milk some more coin from the FFVII fan crowd or is there potential for them to give other FFs the same treatment?

I know I could at least get VIII for the PC in its original form, but since I've progressed from Windows 98, one shudders to think of the headaches that would bring. Ultimately I would love a PC port of IX, legitimate at least.

Unfortunately, out of the three PSOne FFs, that was the only one not to get ported to the PC originally. Which probably means between it and VIII, it doesn't have a great chance.

There were actually plans for PC release of IX but I think they cancelled it because PS2 was hiding behind the corner during the original PSX launch and the sales were kinda modest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's not really much of a sprint though is my problem. I never even really felt like I had to do a lot of prep for it. There are ways to make it ridiculously easy but even on its own it's kind of unimpressive.

I don't hate it or anything, I just wish there was something a bit meatier besides it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

So what do you think of SMT superbosses like Hitoshura and Satan from the first Digital Devil Saga? They require lots of planning, but are also very long fights.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think pretty much any combat that can't be reasonably resolved in... poo poo, let's go 10 minutes max (because if you cheese it, you can actually beat Emerald Weapon in that time frame) is out of the question. Anything longer and it's like, yeah, you totally didn't inflate this guy's HP just for attrition.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Baalfrog posted:

Well there is not much strategy involved. Equip every character with armor that nullifies/absorbs dark element, put some status immunities, get Eiko with mini, Quina with bunch of Remedies or just plain Remedy thing without Quina and don't attack while Ozma is standing still. If you ask me things like Emerald from VII and Omega from VIII are way better superbosses. Stuff from X is also pretty neat, but as you said they kinda packing way too much HP is lazy, even with the increased damage cap. Penance in particular is a pain to take down.

There were actually plans for PC release of IX but I think they cancelled it because PS2 was hiding behind the corner during the original PSX launch and the sales were kinda modest.

You don't have to do a ton of planning for Emerald or Omega Weapon either. Emerald can be beaten by spamming KotR or Omnislash -- Omega Weapon is broken by the time you play all of about fifteen minutes of Triple Triad.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Mill Village posted:

So what do you think of SMT superbosses like Hitoshura and Satan from the first Digital Devil Saga? They require lots of planning, but are also very long fights.

To be honest I have not played SMT games. I know, shame on me :D.

Azure_Horizon posted:

You don't have to do a ton of planning for Emerald or Omega Weapon either. Emerald can be beaten by spamming KotR or Omnislash -- Omega Weapon is broken by the time you play all of about fifteen minutes of Triple Triad.

Well Omega has his attack pattern and Gaia Break (or whatever) and Emerald has Materia storm, Final Attack and KotR cheeses that fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trance Kuja can still wreck you up if you queue things up too fast and are at a high level, if only because of his random Flare Star counterattacks.

The White Dragon posted:

I think pretty much any combat that can't be reasonably resolved in... poo poo, let's go 10 minutes max (because if you cheese it, you can actually beat Emerald Weapon in that time frame) is out of the question. Anything longer and it's like, yeah, you totally didn't inflate this guy's HP just for attrition.

You must hate FFXII then. Hi Yiazmat, Hell Wyrm, Omega, Zodiark (and to an extent, Ultima and The Undying).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

You must hate FFXII then. Hi Yiazmat, Hell Wyrm, Omega, Zodiark (and to an extent, Ultima and The Undying).

He makes a good point though. I think it is good that encounters test a player's ability to overcome a challenge that is repetitious to a point because that improves the odds that you won due to skill/strategy and not just luck. That plus it tests your ability to manage resources. However, there comes a point where the player passed the test and you are just kind of waiting around repeating whatever strat you put together until the boss's HP reaches zero. It stops being fun once that point is reached. Please note that this argument has little to do with the actual length of the encounter. I have experienced encounters in RPGs where I felt this problem exists starting at 10 minutes as well as only after 20 minutes has passed. It usually depends on how dynamic the encounter is as the battle progresses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trance Kuja can still wreck you up if you queue things up too fast and are at a high level, if only because of his random Flare Star counterattacks.

Actually, probably the best way to kill Zodiark is a blitz that takes around a minute; he doesn't have that much health. Omega doesn't have that much either- it's a test of survival more than anything.

Xavier434 posted:

He makes a good point though. I think it is good that encounters test a player's ability to overcome a challenge that is repetitious to a point because that improves the odds that you won due to skill/strategy and not just luck. That plus it tests your ability to manage resources. However, there comes a point where the player passed the test and you are just kind of waiting around repeating whatever strat you put together until the boss's HP reaches zero. It stops being fun once that point is reached. Please note that this argument has little to do with the actual length of the encounter. I have experienced encounters in RPGs where I felt this problem exists starting at 10 minutes as well as only after 20 minutes has passed. It usually depends on how dynamic the encounter is as the battle progresses.

Yeah, this is true if the battle doesn't change. But not so much when the battle has different stages / different attack patterns. Like Ultima in XII that was mentioned by the previous poster- that battle is constantly changing due to the shifting field effects, so it tests your ability to constantly change your strategy. Even bosses that just change their own attack pattern or pace keep you changing things up. That's actually why XII is one of my favorites in the series- the bosses/marks change it up as they get closer to death, leading to some intense battles. This even applies to the much-maligned Palings some bosses use- it forces you to switch from offense to defense, or physical attacks to magic attacks, so that you can't just blitz every boss to death the same way. And while Yiazmat was entirely too long, you probably weren't using the same strategy at the end that you were at the beginning unless you just leveled to 99 with the best equipment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Exactly, if they're dynamic, the designer allows themselves some wiggle room. On the other hand, there's active-dynamic and static-dynamic, the former being, say, Gilgamesh from FF12 and the latter being Yiazmat. One changes strategies after about two to three minutes of doing damage; the other changes strategies after about two to three hours.

Reasonably, even the most numerically-intimidating superboss should be based on a function of ((# of characters allowed in party - # of non-attackers) * (1...4 roundsa) * (number of strategic approaches in the battle)), assuming average optimized damage--which, in FF9, is 9999 since it can be reasonably expected, with proper planning, that everyone will do max damage every turn; in FF7, it was (((13*7777b) + (10*7777c) + (18*7777d) + ((13*7777)*n)))/(3+n))--n being the number of times you have to use Knights of the Round after burning your Limits--because you could expect the player to go in with All-7 Fever using the most efficient limit breaks. Some games, maybe the math is different because your monster's form requires you to take up a character's turn with healing or whatever. That way, no single "form" outstays its welcome and the battle continues to engage the player without having to resort to treadmill attrition.

Emerald Weapon, after Lucky 7s and three limit breaks, has 200,000 HP, which is a Mimed Highwind plus a Knights, or two Knights from characters who are still on Lucky 7s. It's long in the sense that you sit there, but in terms of rounds, the two sides will get, like, two "real" rounds. Reasonably, they should've just made Lucky 7s not do the sixty-three attacks in the opener and just reduced its HP by half. But I guess at the time, they were thinking, "One million?! That's very psychologically intimidating." And it is! It's also way too much within their math's own parameters, because you almost certainly can't do everyone's limits twice in a row at 7777 damage.

It still seems very intimidating because if you can't burn through the enemy's HP in a timely fashion, it's almost guaranteed to wipe your party, but like the Ozma example by Baalfrog, it's nice to allow your players a little leeway because clearly it's still beatable without a 100% damage output strategy. Optimally, you go in with Auto-Reflect on, open with Limit Glove/Dragon's Crest/Thievery/Dark Matter (or, if you finished the Friendly Monster quest, Ark is a guaranteed-9999 too) and ignore everything but Curse (which is usually TPK anyway) so you don't need to waste any turns on using Remedies or casting Angel's Snack. The math is a little too complex for me to crunch as far as your luck-based chance to win without doing the Friendly Monster quest (it's pretty severely reduced, though), but even that's possible. It's a 1.25 to 2-round-long battle, assuming three Curagas and you having finished the Friendly Monster quest.

I'll always stick to my guns about Palings being the worst mechanic, though. If you want to give a boss a form where they make someone play defensively, don't make the boss recover %HP/sec while you're doing it.

adefining "rounds" as "everyone in both parties acts once"
bOmnislash
cCatastrophe
dHighwind

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I'll always stick to my guns about Palings being the worst mechanic, though. If you want to give a boss a form where they make someone play defensively, don't make the boss recover %HP/sec while you're doing it.

Wait, what boss did this? I guess it's possible if a boss put on Regen before putting up a paling, but I don't remember any that would or could do that...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
As far as I recall, it was like every single one of them. From the first time I saw a paling on... what was it, that airship where Ashe's so-obviously-traitorous-you'd-have-to-be-an-idiot-to-miss-it retainer to marks to Zeromus, it was a huge pain in the rear end because they'd just heal right back up if you let them drop that invincibility poo poo.

It reached a point where enemies just ended up having enough HP to endure one of those chain limit things (which I could also never figure out and they seemed largely random whether they'd chain or not) where they'd be hanging on by a thread and start recovering up while they pounded me with their desperation attacks. The latter of which is fine. But it completely removes that layer of "so do I just go defensive and and plink away at what's left of its HP, or do I just go all-out and hope for the best" and replaces it with "oh I guess I'm gonna drop Phoenix Downs and switch party members until this Paling runs out. Five minute invincibility is super fun!"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, probably the best way to kill Zodiark is a blitz that takes around a minute; he doesn't have that much health. Omega doesn't have that much either- it's a test of survival more than anything.

That's only because they cut Omega's HP from 10 million to 1 million for the US release, and that was one of the best changes they could have made.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

As far as I recall, it was like every single one of them. From the first time I saw a paling on... what was it, that airship where Ashe's so-obviously-traitorous-you'd-have-to-be-an-idiot-to-miss-it retainer to marks to Zeromus, it was a huge pain in the rear end because they'd just heal right back up if you let them drop that invincibility poo poo.

Hmm, I think you're just misremembering. Neither boss you mentioned has a paling or any ability to heal. In fact, Zeromus is doing damage to himself every time he hits you for the first 50% of his health.

A few bosses use Renew to heal huge amounts which is annoying, but I don't think any of those enemies have palings. It's possible some enemies start with Regen, but any enemies strong enough to start with buffs like that should be dispelled immediately, so I don't even remember.

Edit: Also, I'd like to point out that Palings only stop physical attacks, and Magick Barrier only stops magic attacks, and VERY few enemies ever use both, and even fewer use both at the same time. Most of the time you just need to change what you're attacking with rather than stop doing damage at all.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The White Dragon posted:

It reached a point where enemies just ended up having enough HP to endure one of those chain limit things (which I could also never figure out and they seemed largely random whether they'd chain or not) where they'd be hanging on by a thread and start recovering up while they pounded me with their desperation attacks. The latter of which is fine. But it completely removes that layer of "so do I just go defensive and and plink away at what's left of its HP, or do I just go all-out and hope for the best" and replaces it with "oh I guess I'm gonna drop Phoenix Downs and switch party members until this Paling runs out. Five minute invincibility is super fun!"

Only boss I can think of off the top of my head that regen'd at an alarming rate was ol' Bomb King. That boss doesn't even use palings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

That's really weird. I think you may be misremembering because I don't recall the boss working that way at all. Maybe I'm the one misremembering but that sounds like some bullshit I'd remember.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, as far as I remember, FFXII didn't have any bosses like that. Especially not the guy you're talking about, who didn't use palings at all and wasn't capable of regenerating health. The only story boss that I remember using palings at all was the final boss, who wasn't capable of healing in any fashion either.

gently caress, I'm reasonably sure that Regen doesn't even work off of a percentage in FFXII, so I have no idea what you're talking about at all.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 11, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

gently caress, I'm reasonably sure that Regen doesn't even work off of a percentage in FFXII, so I have no idea what you're talking about at all.

Actually I think it might, since I know if you run away from Yiazmat and hide where he can't reach you for too long, he'll cast regen on himself and regain health at a scary rate because of how much total HP he has. But he won't do that if he can target anyone, and he doesn't have palings. It's just supposed to prevent people from cheesing him by hiding and healing constantly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well, all I remember is that the bosses weren't hard, but they were frustrating in that they felt really artificially inflated.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I recently played FFXII and fought Hell Wyrm. Repetitive to the point of not being fun at all. He's quite easy if the party is at a decent level. The only hard part is enduring a long battle due to his huge amount of health. It basically boiled down to bash him with swords, heal/rebuff, repeat for probably 30+ minutes. How exactly is that fun?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Well, all I remember is that the bosses weren't hard, but they were frustrating in that they felt really artificially inflated.

You're completely right about that part. That's part of why I really disliked the Gambit system.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think I've posted about OCRemix here before, but since yall are talking about FF9 anyways, the FF9 album they're working on is coming closer and closer to fruition. I'm sure it's a year or two out still but they released a new preview a few days ago and drat does it own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wt2kbau3T0

Still not sure how long to go on the FF6 album; that one had a huge Kickstarter fundraiser so I'm sure it'll be baller. I remember hearing December but... I'm not sure if that was 2012 or 2013 and I can't really check atm. :v:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm finally playing FFXIII-2 thanks to Black Friday. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I have a question about the combat - is there any reason to NOT use auto-battle? At first I thought I should manually select spells to discover enemy weaknesses, but I noticed that my ravager will automatically try out each type of element, then once the weaknesses are revealed, start using spells that the enemy is weak to. Aside from paradigm shifts to switch to sentinel for defense in boss fights, and the occasional pet switching and pet sync, most battles are just me mashing X to select auto-battle. I'm so used to RPG's requiring you to select each move individually, it feels like I'm playing this game "incorrectly".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That's really weird. I think you may be misremembering because I don't recall the boss working that way at all. Maybe I'm the one misremembering but that sounds like some bullshit I'd remember.

No, TWD has shown over and over again that the FFXII that exists in his head and the actual game are two completely different properties.

The game's boss/unique monsters' Palings, berserk modes, and the unavoidable party-wide super-attacks did get pretty tedious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Karthe posted:

I'm finally playing FFXIII-2 thanks to Black Friday. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I have a question about the combat - is there any reason to NOT use auto-battle? At first I thought I should manually select spells to discover enemy weaknesses, but I noticed that my ravager will automatically try out each type of element, then once the weaknesses are revealed, start using spells that the enemy is weak to. Aside from paradigm shifts to switch to sentinel for defense in boss fights, and the occasional pet switching and pet sync, most battles are just me mashing X to select auto-battle. I'm so used to RPG's requiring you to select each move individually, it feels like I'm playing this game "incorrectly".

i'm throughly thankful we don't get to smash X anymore, actually.
The attacking roles do their knack quite well, on the other 4 you may (will) have to fiddle manually.