Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

reichsten posted:

This is exactly the same as turntables though, with less moving parts to worry about. Back in the day, you could never count on a club's 1200's being in good order. Usually the pitch wasn't calibrated, one of platters would have wobble, the tone arm is bent, etc etc. Back then what could you bring aside from needles and weights? I'm not a huge touring DJ with a rider, so I was never getting paid enough to bring out my own turntables, but it sucked to rely on the club's lovely 1210s.

Every place I've played recently has CDJs standard, now you need to request turntables. So my solution has been, bring laptop / controller as a backup, and plan to play on CDs, so long as the club has a pair setup. Still WAY less poo poo to tote around then 2xturntables, mixer, and 4+ hours of record crates.

Edit Side Note: What do people use to record sets when they play out? I can record promos at home on my Pro Tools rig, but it's not portable at all. Are there any recommendations for a good quality, portable recorder? Would hope to get at least 4 hours on it, 44.1k 16-bit.

Yep, back when I started, it was the same problem with turntables. The dj before you didn't know how to weight needles properly, the pitch wasn't calibrated, the tonearm was bent, and all the lights were dead. Or if you got the REALLY fun Tecs, the power supply would be hosed up resulting in your tracks constantly changing tempo. It's a pain in the rear end but again, if you are not some touring dj with a a crazy rider, rely on yourself, and you will have a million times less headaches to deal with. It may suck having to lug a bunch of poo poo around, but it sucks way less than having technical problems and performing a lovely set, especially since you never know who is in the crowd.

As far as recording goes, I just run the Rec out from the mixer into one of the inputs on my audio8, and let traktor record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

reichsten posted:

Edit Side Note: What do people use to record sets when they play out? I can record promos at home on my Pro Tools rig, but it's not portable at all. Are there any recommendations for a good quality, portable recorder? Would hope to get at least 4 hours on it, 44.1k 16-bit.

I record with Traktor using one of the spare inputs on my Audio8.

As for portable field recorders, the two brands I've seen getting a lot of use are Tascam and Zoom. Can't really speak to the feature comparisons for each though

http://www.pssl.com/Tascam?s=&c=Field-Recorders&c=
http://www.pssl.com/Zoom?s=&c=Field-Recorders&c=

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into it, but the Zoom H2N is the front runner right now. I like that the mic capsules are shielded, seems like less worry about damage.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I wouldn't think the mics would matter since you're theoretically just using the recorder's line input.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

TheWevel posted:

I wouldn't think the mics would matter since you're theoretically just using the recorder's line input.

Yeah, but it would really suck to damage mics on one of these devices.

As it turns out, I think I'm going to get the Zoom h4n, because it has XLR inputs as well. Seems to be similar in sound quality to the h2n, but it would be nice to have XLR inputs instead of just 1/8 inch. But, I don't like how the mics are designed just hanging out the top, seems like it could really get damaged easily if I'm leaving it laying around, recording sets. Ah well

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

TheWevel posted:

What's up fellow Atlanta DJ buddy. Which place?

:hfive:

Place called Sidebar. A shell of the old and dear spot called The Mark.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

reichsten posted:

Yeah, but it would really suck to damage mics on one of these devices.

As it turns out, I think I'm going to get the Zoom h4n, because it has XLR inputs as well. Seems to be similar in sound quality to the h2n, but it would be nice to have XLR inputs instead of just 1/8 inch. But, I don't like how the mics are designed just hanging out the top, seems like it could really get damaged easily if I'm leaving it laying around, recording sets. Ah well

For what it's worth, pretty much all rec/line outs you encounter are gonna be RCA, not XLR

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anyone have any experience with the NI Z2? I'm just curious.
I imagine the control with Traktor is great but how are the EQs? How does it compare to other 2 channel mixers+controller setups?

I'm looking for both professional/experienced DJ and newbie opinions!

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Longtiem posted:

Alright so two things:

Roommate got into vinyl, I'm in love and I need it and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.

Problem being, new laptop has only USB 3.0, and I had made the idiotic assumption an international business like NI would ensure compatibility at some point, but its been almost a year and no dice, as far as I know.

What are my solutions for the USB problem, and switching to digital vinyl? Serato looks nice but Rane SL2 clocks in at 500 which is stupid when I already have software and an upgrade to digital vinyl is 120. I guess I'll need a mixer with an internal, since my old external soundcard just BSOD's on install now.

And I'm right in thinking I can pick whichever platters I want, into mixer into audio interface into laptop and be done? Or is this USB thing going to require a more involved workaround?

Sorry to requote but before I drop a paycheck I wanna hear from someone with a digital vinyl set up. Worth it, is the idea I have in my head correct, would you do it some other way?

Also USB 3.0, what the gently caress are my options for work arounds? Do any of the Traktor / Serato interfaces work with 3.0?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

For what it's worth, pretty much all rec/line outs you encounter are gonna be RCA, not XLR

Yeah the XLR is just a nice bonus to do better field recordings, with external mics. For strictly recording mixes, seems like the h2n would be just as good, but it's worth another $100 to me to be able to use external mics

Thanks for the input y'all

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Longtiem posted:

Sorry to requote but before I drop a paycheck I wanna hear from someone with a digital vinyl set up. Worth it, is the idea I have in my head correct, would you do it some other way?

Also USB 3.0, what the gently caress are my options for work arounds? Do any of the Traktor / Serato interfaces work with 3.0?

Yes, they all do as far as I know. There was one particular issue with Mountain Lion and the pre-USB 3.0 Traktor interfaces on a non-USB 3.0 laptop that has since been resolved with the latest drivers, which is what I was referring to in earlier posts.

Generally speaking, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, and 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth for audio interfaces as it is

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes, they all do as far as I know. There was one particular issue with Mountain Lion and the pre-USB 3.0 Traktor interfaces on a non-USB 3.0 laptop that has since been resolved with the latest drivers, which is what I was referring to in earlier posts.

Generally speaking, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, and 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth for audio interfaces as it is

The audio DJ range still has problems on certain usb 3 chipsets under windows, some people have got it working by either removing drivers or disabling usb 3 in the bios but it really varies.

Longtiem your best option if at all possible might be to take your laptop to a shop and try the interfaces, if you actually seem serious about purchasing I'm fairly confident the larger places won't have a problem with letting you try a display version to see if you end up with blue screens when you plug it in.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Longtiem posted:

Think the latest Serato is 3.0? This is a good option for digital vinyl, a few mates use it. Jack beats use it. Diplo and Switch use it. Best option for digital vinyl imo.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

CareyB posted:

Think the latest Serato is 3.0? This is a good option for digital vinyl, a few mates use it. Jack beats use it. Diplo and Switch use it. Best option for digital vinyl imo.

I got traktor up and working. Didn't realize my cables were dead bought replacements all is right in the world. Gonna grab the turntables and toss the controller on ebay as soon I get my hands on some funding. Vinyl is just so reassuring thats the only word I can think of.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Do digital vinyl systems work well for doing cuts and scratch techniques? I'm curious about it for production 'cuz I have decks but not the stuff I want to sample on vinyl...

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

Do digital vinyl systems work well for doing cuts and scratch techniques? I'm curious about it for production 'cuz I have decks but not the stuff I want to sample on vinyl...

Yep, works great, the lower you can get the latency the better, but it totally works, I've done this a bunch

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

Yep, A good majority of the well known turntablists are using serato. Vajra, Q-Bert, Craze all use it and don't seem to be turning back.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Craze and A-Trak both Traktor now. It honestly seems like a lot of DJs are switching from Serato to Traktor. I'm not sure why though.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

keevo posted:

Craze and A-Trak both Traktor now. It honestly seems like a lot of DJs are switching from Serato to Traktor. I'm not sure why though.

More effects and much better MIDI customization would be my guess.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Old Man Pants posted:

More effects and much better MIDI customization would be my guess.

Yeah, definitely not cash or free equipment.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

dj bobby bieber posted:

Yeah, definitely not cash or free equipment.

lets not turn this into the djtechtools support forum here boyos.

Great read on RA about bunker in NYC.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1746

Still so crazy people work so hard for a loving decade to make it work. Good read on throwing your own party if you ever thought about it.

"Derek Plaslaiko: The first time we had Alex Smoke [in November 2007] was awesome. Alex did the show for really cheap, just because he was in town. He did it for $300. Then we found out that his hotel room was $297. Alex was completely annihilating the place. Me and Bryan just kept looking at each other, going, "Three bucks. He's doing this for $3." [laughs]"

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 12, 2013

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
OK so I have two Vestax PDX-2000s sitting around and a lovely 2ch Vestax DJ mixer.

I want to get started with digital vinyl. What's the cheapest setup I could get with what I have? I looked at NI Traktor but I wasn't sure which package of theirs would be right for me. I'm also not sure if Serato is cheaper or if there are other alternatives.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The cheapest would be getting the Traktor Scratch A6 package which comes with Traktor, vinyl/cds, and an interface. It's $299.

I like Scratch Live but the Rane SL2 with Scratch Live is $499. :(

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TheWevel posted:

The cheapest would be getting the Traktor Scratch A6 package which comes with Traktor, vinyl/cds, and an interface. It's $299.

What about the Traktor Audio 2? Only $99, doesn't come with the vinyl but they're $15 each.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It only has a 2 channel output (and no inputs) so you wouldn't be able to use it for a DVS setup.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TheWevel posted:

It only has a 2 channel output (and no inputs) so you wouldn't be able to use it for a DVS setup.

The description says "Ultra-compact, 2 ins/outs DJ audio interface" :confused: but the specs page doesn't mention them. Must be a typo I guess.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

TheWevel posted:

You can probably find a used SL1 for 300, maybe less if you search long enough.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't see any physical inputs on the box so who knows what they're talking about.

The thing to remember with these interfaces is that the channels are usually listed as mono channels. For a DVS system you need 2 stereo ins (2 left and right pairs, 4 channels) and 2 stereo outs (4 channels) so you would need an 8 channel interface, minimum. Your turntables connect directly to the 2 stereo inputs on the interface, and the interface's 2 stereo outputs go to your mixer. Then you connect speakers to the master outputs on your mixer.

That $299 price on the Traktor A6 is a steal actually, since it comes with timecode vinyl, software, and the correct interface.

keevo posted:

You can probably find a used SL1 for 300, maybe less if you search long enough.

There's not much point in getting an SL1 these days. It's a USB1.1 device that doesn't work well on newer computers and I don't think Rane supports it anymore so there won't be any driver updates. Also compared to any of the newer Rane interfaces(SL2, SL3, SL4) it sounds like rear end. There's a noticeable quality difference.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 17, 2013

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

The description says "Ultra-compact, 2 ins/outs DJ audio interface" :confused: but the specs page doesn't mention them. Must be a typo I guess.
Weird. Ya, there are only 2 stereo pairs of outputs (4 total).
Send NI an email. Maybe they will give you a discount. :D

Also, troll Guitar Center's used gear listings erryday, specifically the "recently added" items. The people entering the items make mistakes very frequently. I snagged a like-new SL3 for $350 last year. Probably a floor model or something. Accessories still in the original packaging. The only thing that was wrong with it was that the box was torn up and had "USED" sharpied on the front.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 17, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

TheWevel posted:

There's not much point in getting an SL1 these days. It's a USB1.1 device that doesn't work well on newer computers and I don't think Rane supports it anymore so there won't be any driver updates. Also compared to any of the newer Rane interfaces(SL2, SL3, SL4) it sounds like rear end. There's a noticeable quality difference.
Eh, it's working fine for me. I've just started using it on a MacBook Pro and it's working fine. Although $299 for the A6 sounds really good. I've been tempted to switch over to Traktor but almost all of the clubs here use Serato.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

What about the Traktor Audio 2? Only $99, doesn't come with the vinyl but they're $15 each.

The audio 2 doesn't have inputs as has been said, the discontinued Audio4 does though if you can find one

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TheWevel posted:

I don't see any physical inputs on the box so who knows what they're talking about.

The thing to remember with these interfaces is that the channels are usually listed as mono channels. For a DVS system you need 2 stereo ins (2 left and right pairs, 4 channels) and 2 stereo outs (4 channels) so you would need an 8 channel interface, minimum. Your turntables connect directly to the 2 stereo inputs on the interface, and the interface's 2 stereo outputs go to your mixer. Then you connect speakers to the master outputs on your mixer.

That $299 price on the Traktor A6 is a steal actually, since it comes with timecode vinyl, software, and the correct interface.

Do I need to use the outs on the interface? I already have a USB sound card/recording interface going out to my monitors. Can't I use the software to output to that sound card? I know with other NI stuff you can.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

Do I need to use the outs on the interface? I already have a USB sound card/recording interface going out to my monitors. Can't I use the software to output to that sound card? I know with other NI stuff you can.

I don't think you can use more than one audio interface at a time within Traktor.

What kind of existing interface do you have? I think only Traktor Scratch Certified devices can work with Traktor in scratch mode outside of the Audio* series of interfaces

Seriously, just buy the A6/Timecode kit and be done with it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seconded. If you want to go cheap look up ms pinky. I'm telling you though, the A6 is worth the money.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Actually I totally think I could do this with an aggregate sound device in OS X. You can arbitrarily combine inputs and outputs from different devices and it treats it as one sound device in the OS, it's pretty cool. I'm going to give it a shot, worst that happens is I have to return it and get the A6.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

God loving drat it. I hate too many DJs nowadays. I'm getting into an argument with other DJs about DJs that don't use headphones. I'm saying is that I don't care what equipment a DJ uses as long as the crowd has a good time. For all I care, someone could use Virtual DJ or iTunes and if the crowd loves the music and experience, I'd be cool with it. Everyone else is arguing that it's more about how it's done (which means using turntables, USING HEADPHONES, not using the sync button, etc.). My opinion isn't stupid, right? It's not ridiculous for me to not be concerned about how it's being done, as long as the crowd is happy, right?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

keevo posted:

God loving drat it. I hate too many DJs nowadays. I'm getting into an argument with other DJs about DJs that don't use headphones. I'm saying is that I don't care what equipment a DJ uses as long as the crowd has a good time. For all I care, someone could use Virtual DJ or iTunes and if the crowd loves the music and experience, I'd be cool with it. Everyone else is arguing that it's more about how it's done (which means using turntables, USING HEADPHONES, not using the sync button, etc.). My opinion isn't stupid, right? It's not ridiculous for me to not be concerned about how it's being done, as long as the crowd is happy, right?

No, the only reason to get into DJing is to impress other DJs and make sure you do everything right

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

Actually I totally think I could do this with an aggregate sound device in OS X. You can arbitrarily combine inputs and outputs from different devices and it treats it as one sound device in the OS, it's pretty cool. I'm going to give it a shot, worst that happens is I have to return it and get the A6.

Actually this is totally wrong because the A2 doesn't have inputs, I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'll get the A6 today, thanks for the tips.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Traktor needs a tooltip when you hover a track that shows the waveform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I went to Guitar Center earlier and asked for the Traktor Audio 6 and they at first didn't know what I was talking about, and then wound up giving me Komplete Audio 6. I didn't look at it too closely when I bought it and thought it was Traktor Audio 6, the thing I asked them for... I was wondering why it was $100 less than I thought it would be. :saddowns:

So yeah, doesn't come with vinyl and it only came with Traktor LE software. They had free upgrades for the software but stopped it in 2011. Looks like I'm going back tomorrow. In retrospect, why would I have expected vinyl to have come in a container that small? I was not paying attention at all.