Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Halx posted:

I use this with an older Cintiq:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-BT861AT-Single-Monitor-Arm/dp/B00455GH58

It is exactly the same as the Ergotron LX, but the finish is all black instead of black and chrome. (compare to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00358RIRC)

The top part of the clamp is covered in that dense foam rubber padding so it won't hurt the surface. The part of the clamp that contacts the underside of the table is a metal plate which might make some marks, but only where you can't see.

That's the one. drat. Kind of wish I knew about the cheaper, generic black one when I bought mine.

Does anyone know which arms work with the new cintiqs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jefferoo posted:

After my Wacom died I ended up getting a Monoprice, I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread, but you really gotta download the Wacom drivers (just having them installed unlocks functionality in Photoshop and some other software) and the drivers from here: http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4

I have a dual monitor setup and it's the only thing that let me isolate it to my larger, 24" monitor.

Quick question - which Wacom driver? I'm on a mac - got the monoprice, and the lines are total poo poo right now. No soft edges - it's like the drawing game for the Wii.

Edit:

HEY GUYS! Did you know that the PENCIL tool is not the same as the BRUSH tool? gently caress ME.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 25, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Quick question - which Wacom driver? I'm on a mac - got the monoprice, and the lines are total poo poo right now. No soft edges - it's like the drawing game for the Wii.

Edit:

HEY GUYS! Did you know that the PENCIL tool is not the same as the BRUSH tool? gently caress ME.

Hahaha, how did you get confused? Was it a Monoprice setting or Photoshop/Paint/something thing?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Has anyone been using a stylus with an iPad for sketching? If so, what do you recommended (aw a couple good reviewes of the Bamboo stylus), and app wise as well...

I actually don't have an iPad yet, but considering for many other applications, and if I had something that could handle quick idea sketches that would sell me.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Odette posted:

Hahaha, how did you get confused? Was it a Monoprice setting or Photoshop/Paint/something thing?
Nope. Not at all. The last time I'd used the brush tool, it was the pencil.

B is the hotkey, and it just loads whatever you use. So, of course, since I was using the hotkey, poo poo, why should I bother to LOOK at the tool. That's just stupid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interstitial Abs posted:

Has anyone been using a stylus with an iPad for sketching? If so, what do you recommended (aw a couple good reviewes of the Bamboo stylus), and app wise as well...

I actually don't have an iPad yet, but considering for many other applications, and if I had something that could handle quick idea sketches that would sell me.

I like Sketchbook Pro for ipad sketching, but to be completely frank every ipad stylus I've tried is basically like trying to draw by dragging a sausage across your screen when compared to a desktop tablet/stylus or pencil/paper.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zombietoof posted:

I like Sketchbook Pro for ipad sketching, but to be completely frank every ipad stylus I've tried is basically like trying to draw by dragging a sausage across your screen when compared to a desktop tablet/stylus or pencil/paper.
I got Sketchbook, but it couldn't keep up with my strokes smoothly. I switched to ProCreate. I love it. I'll jump back to Skethbook occasionally but don't like it.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I am looking to get a tablet in the next week or so, but I really have no clue what I should get. I basically have the budget to get anything from the most basic of Bamboos to, at the most expensive, an Intuos 5 Medium touch (looking at their most recent products on their website).

I will be doing drawings and stuff (just as a hobby) for the time being, and if the tablet could have any applications or functions to make recording music smoother and easier, then it will also be used for that. I feel like while I'm new to the game and it might be a somewhat good idea to go for one of the most basic Bamboo models, I also want the capabilities to do more complicated things further down the track.

Could I please get a recommendation? I actually wanted to do something with it in the next week or two, so if anyone also has recommendations for where to get them that would ship quickly to Sydney at great prices, that would also be a massive help. Thanks in advance.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chroisman posted:

I am looking to get a tablet in the next week or so, but I really have no clue what I should get. I basically have the budget to get anything from the most basic of Bamboos to, at the most expensive, an Intuos 5 Medium touch (looking at their most recent products on their website).

I will be doing drawings and stuff (just as a hobby) for the time being, and if the tablet could have any applications or functions to make recording music smoother and easier, then it will also be used for that. I feel like while I'm new to the game and it might be a somewhat good idea to go for one of the most basic Bamboo models, I also want the capabilities to do more complicated things further down the track.

Could I please get a recommendation? I actually wanted to do something with it in the next week or two, so if anyone also has recommendations for where to get them that would ship quickly to Sydney at great prices, that would also be a massive help. Thanks in advance.

I recently upgraded to an Intuos 5 medium from my Intuos 3 that broke. The touch feature is really not that helpful in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of the new x-keys. I'd say definitely go with the Bamboo, the pressure levels match the old Intuos 3 as well. The extra sensitivity in the 5 is sort of nice but I've gone through like 3 nibs in 2 months.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
So I should choose the Bamboo Create over the Intuos5 Med Touch?

I'm only considering those two because I want as large work space as possible for my budget. I tried a really small Bamboo once upon a time and really didn't like how small it was. It felt like sketching on a post-it note.

Edit: I found a listing on eBay for the Intuos 5 touch medium with the software package (5 basic programs) for AUD$400 with free express shipping. I think I might just take the plunge and get that.

Chroisman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 12, 2012

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Tangentially related question, does anyone here have any experience with an active-digitizer device like the HTC Flyer or Galaxy Note? Or a slate PC running desktop art software? Do these come any closer to approximating the experience of a full-size tablet?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Chroisman posted:

Edit: I found a listing on eBay for the Intuos 5 touch medium with the software package (5 basic programs) for AUD$400 with free express shipping. I think I might just take the plunge and get that.
You can get Monoprice tablets a lot cheaper and they're just as nice.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

casa de mi padre posted:

You can get Monoprice tablets a lot cheaper and they're just as nice.

Aw man. I did not know this and already dropped the money for the Intuos5 a few days ago. That's OK, hopefully it will live up to expectations. Thanks for the tip anyway.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I wont lie, I've never changed the nib of my stylus pen since I got the tablet (A4-size Intuos3) years ago. I'm going to guess I probably should, though, it doesn't appear overly worn down or anything.

I was going to switch it, just because, with one of the other standard nibs that came with it. But I've literally lost them. I use to see the stylus pen's packaging (where I stored the nibs) everywhere, then, the one day I needed it... gone.

I have noticed there are some "beyond standard" nibs, like felt ones and such. But they all seem to be for Intuos5 generation pens.

Nevertheless, is there any nib-related facts one should know?

Skogul
Dec 29, 2012

I don't need no
****** tutorial!
I'll learn it in
the heat of battle!
I normally use a Cintiq for my personal/in home work but recently I started working as a 2D artist and was granted access to an Intuos 5 Touch.

Holy hell, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I've only had the tablet for a week and I've changed out the nibs twice already. The tablet has this really rough, almost paper-like, texture to the surface of it and I'm grinding the nibs down from normal use. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just be using a different type of nib in general? (I've grinded down the spring-loaded nib and one black, normal nib.) Look at this beast! It's like a crazy chisel!

I should mention that I've got this weird grip that makes it hard to use certain objects (like chopsticks) but my body doesn't want to stop being double-jointed every-loving-where it can be.

Re: Gredgie
There's a lot of cool different nibs out there, I personally enjoy the spring-loaded tip because it adjusts with your pressure. The felt-nibs are cool too because it feels like you're using a felt-tip marker. I'd suggest trying out a variety pack, it really can change how you handle your pen!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've used the Intuos 4 which is similar, but I switch out nibs every few months. Losing them in weeks definitely isnt right, unless its the felt tips. Those are nice, but dont last long at all. Have you tried raising the pressure sensitivity?

In non-Wacom news, I just got my Adonit Jot Touch for use with my 3rd gen iPad. Initially I was really disappointed with it, it seemed to skip a lot at the lightest pressures, but a quick search turned up a fix for this really common problem, wedging a tiny bit of foil in the joint tip. Now it's practically a pad sized, portable Cintiq :love:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Skogul posted:

Holy hell, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I've only had the tablet for a week and I've changed out the nibs twice already. The tablet has this really rough, almost paper-like, texture to the surface of it and I'm grinding the nibs down from normal use. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just be using a different type of nib in general? (I've grinded down the spring-loaded nib and one black, normal nib.) Look at this beast! It's like a crazy chisel!

Looks like my current pen-but mine is a Graphire4 pen, after about seven years of use. That's really after one week? Wow.

Would putting something like a screen protector over the drawing surface help, or would it throw off the pen at all? That's what I'm planning to do when I get an Intuos5, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Skogul
Dec 29, 2012

I don't need no
****** tutorial!
I'll learn it in
the heat of battle!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Looks like my current pen-but mine is a Graphire4 pen, after about seven years of use. That's really after one week? Wow.

Would putting something like a screen protector over the drawing surface help, or would it throw off the pen at all? That's what I'm planning to do when I get an Intuos5, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

mort-ception

Work says they'll compensate for the nibs so I can just do whatever it is I'm doing and keep at it, but I'm going to raise the pressure sensitivity while I'm at it like Synth suggested. This Intuos 5 honestly feels like you're scraping charcoal against newsprint and while that's a cool feeling I think I'm doing something wrong :

End of the Week Nib :

Mmhmm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wacom wants to get into the sweet profits from consumables.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

By the time my first nib bottomed out the surface was worn smooth, and I haven't had to change it since.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Skogul posted:

mort-ception

Work says they'll compensate for the nibs so I can just do whatever it is I'm doing and keep at it, but I'm going to raise the pressure sensitivity while I'm at it like Synth suggested. This Intuos 5 honestly feels like you're scraping charcoal against newsprint and while that's a cool feeling I think I'm doing something wrong :

End of the Week Nib :

Mmhmm.

I had the same happen to me just as fast. I love the texture of the surface but drat, nibs just melted away. The surface wore down smooth after a few months and the nib wear stopped.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I had--still have, actually--a first generation Wacom Intuos that I got like 15 years ago. All the features like tilt and pressure still work, and it's still very accurate. I noticed only recently that more and more iterations of the Intuos were coming out, and was just wondering exactly what significant new features these new ones have that make them an improvement over the Intuos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More pressure sensitivity, higher resolution, dials buttons and sliders built in for more shortcuts.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
All I need out of my Cintiq is the screen and pen. The surface keys and selector, sliders, and pen buttons are useless, since I just operate a Logitech G13 with my off-hand:

Better ergonomics than contorting your finger to reach too-few buttons. Even the eraser is pretty pointless, since pressing a button is faster than turning the pen around.

V:confused:V

*edit* Oh, I should mention that Photoshop doesn't seem to love G13, and it sometimes gets unresponsive until you click on a menu or something. Probably to do with how I've mapped out the exact key commands, like Control+ for zooming in, etc rather than remapping everything in Photoshop to single buttons, but who knows.

Locus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 13, 2013

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Locus posted:

All I need out of my Cintiq is the screen and pen. The surface keys and selector, sliders, and pen buttons are useless, since I just operate a Logitech G13 with my off-hand:

I'm using a Razer Nostromo at home but was thinking of getting another pad for work- have you tried the Razer as well? I'm wondering how the two compare.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Listerine posted:

I'm using a Razer Nostromo at home but was thinking of getting another pad for work- have you tried the Razer as well? I'm wondering how the two compare.

Hmm, no, I haven't, sorry. If I ever see one at the local computer thrift store I'll pick it up and report back here though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I switched from the old Belkin Nostromo n52 to the G13 mainly because it had better software, more buttons, and the G13 is much flatter. The downside is the thumb stick on the G13 is awkward to the point of being useless to me and the buttons are super mushy, even compared to the Nostromo.

Too bad the new mechanical version of the Nostromo is hilariously overpriced, switching to mechanical keyboards has ruined me. Hopfully I can snag one used soon.

Skogul
Dec 29, 2012

I don't need no
****** tutorial!
I'll learn it in
the heat of battle!
Hi everyone, has anyone tried out a Yiynova tablet monitor?

Recently I've been researching bigger drawing tablets for a friend and this review really puts the yiynova in a positive light but it'd be great to hear if anyone's actually had any hands-on experience. That price is definitely something that is making me lean towards it over another cintiq.

Edit: Reading back a little I saw Bored talking about it a little bit but if anyone else has (Kneon?) tried it that's also appreciated.

Skogul fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 16, 2013

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Be careful which one you buy if you do buy it - Frenden is posting a lot on his blog lately about how there are two different generations of that model, one of which is great and the other of which is ganked. They have two different digitizers.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm experienced with pencil drawing but I want to get into digital painting, so I've ordered a 6x10 Monoprice tablet to replace my 9 year old 3.5x5 Graphire3. Not really for the size, since I draw from my fingers instead of my shoulder, I just wanted something a little more accurate, and the Monoprice has double the LPI as the Graphire. I've heard lots of people are having problems with the drivers, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

My question to everyone else who has one: does it have the same pen mode/mouse mode as the Wacoms? It seems most people here like pen mode, but I really prefer mouse mode. Even on the tiny Graphire I find pen mode has me moving my hand around more than I'm comfortable with.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

neonnoodle posted:

Be careful which one you buy if you do buy it - Frenden is posting a lot on his blog lately about how there are two different generations of that model, one of which is great and the other of which is ganked. They have two different digitizers.

I think it's the MSP19 being the bad one with the MSP19U being the better of the two. Unless you specify the MSP19U when you search, the one that'll come up most of the time is the MSP19. I'm considering getting one of the yiynova tablets as well to replace my bamboo tablet I've had for a few years now.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Skogul posted:

Hi everyone, has anyone tried out a Yiynova tablet monitor?

Recently I've been researching bigger drawing tablets for a friend and this review really puts the yiynova in a positive light but it'd be great to hear if anyone's actually had any hands-on experience. That price is definitely something that is making me lean towards it over another cintiq.

Edit: Reading back a little I saw Bored talking about it a little bit but if anyone else has (Kneon?) tried it that's also appreciated.

I have a Yiynova MSP19 and used to work on a Cintiq 12WX. I can tell you that the Yiynova is easily head and shoulders above it. I've been using it for close to six months now, so I'm using the one with bad drivers. Even then I still prefer it over the Cintiq, even though it doesn't have any hotkeys. The Cintiqs run warm color-wise, it worsens significantly as they get older. They also run much hotter than the Yiynova. The MSP19 has really thick, sturdy glass. This creates a bit of a disconnect between the pen and monitor but you get over it in maybe a day. The pen is also a little heavier, as it's battery powered. I've only had to replace the battery once, and I work about 4-12 hours a day on it, so it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Is it better than the bigger models of Cintiq? Probably not. But it's not 4 times worse, and that's the difference in cost.
If it's going to be connected to a Mac the MSP19U seems to be an absolute necessity. I have a PC and the MSP19 works wonderfully for me. It's also surprisingly sturdy. Frenden also says their support is amazing, but I've never had any issues with mine so I haven't been able to take advantage of it.

Skogul
Dec 29, 2012

I don't need no
****** tutorial!
I'll learn it in
the heat of battle!
Thanks you, guys! For clarification, I was looking into getting the MSP19U for my friend, I currently own a 12WX cintiq myself. It's okay, but I agree the colors on the cintiq are vastly different from my monitor and I don't know if that's something fixable. (I just switch between the two monitors to see what the colors possibly look like.)

This information is definitely pushing me towards getting the U once it's available. Awesome.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
I'm thinking of getting a tablet as a toy just to mess around on and maybe do math with it. I don't even know how to draw. I just want to know if a cheap $50 tablet is worth it for that and I figure this is the place to ask.

Another alternative is I saw several "uDraw" tablets at half price books for $20 each and someone has made pc drivers for them. Could those be possibly worth it?

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

BoredMarc posted:

I'm thinking of getting a tablet as a toy just to mess around on and maybe do math with it. I don't even know how to draw. I just want to know if a cheap $50 tablet is worth it for that and I figure this is the place to ask.

Another alternative is I saw several "uDraw" tablets at half price books for $20 each and someone has made pc drivers for them. Could those be possibly worth it?
If you want a toy this is $20 and is actually made to work with your PC - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=5551&seq=1&format=2

But there's really no point to owning a tablet unless you want to draw with it, it'll probably just be a waste of money for you.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

tliil posted:

If you want a toy this is $20 and is actually made to work with your PC - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=5551&seq=1&format=2

But there's really no point to owning a tablet unless you want to draw with it, it'll probably just be a waste of money for you.

Aren't they useful for 3d modeling or is that something I just made up?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Just received my Monoprice tablet today. After spending 5 minutes doodling in Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro, I can already tell I'm going to like using this. Only problem so far is the lack of "mouse mode" that the Wacoms have. Guess I'll just have to get used to having the cursor jump all over the screen whenever I pick my hand up.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
I'm looking to get a tablet as a gift for my girlfriend who's more artistically-inclined than I am but I don't know anything about tablets. I've looked through the thread a bit but I've had a hard time gleaning useful info. Can anyone recommend a tablet for art purposes, and what sort of software I'd need to get as well?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I'm looking to get a tablet as a gift for my girlfriend who's more artistically-inclined than I am but I don't know anything about tablets. I've looked through the thread a bit but I've had a hard time gleaning useful info. Can anyone recommend a tablet for art purposes, and what sort of software I'd need to get as well?

Depending on how much you want to spend, your options are basically the monoprice tablets, which people seem to be happy about, or a wacom bamboo tablet. As for software, that's going to be pretty pricey, I think some wacom tablets come bundled with Painter, but I'm not entirely sure if they still do that anymore. A lot of people use photoshop, and Paint Tool Sai is a pretty decent affordable option, it runs around 60 bucks or so. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Cool, thanks for the info. I was under the impression that with this kind of tablet you'd basically draw on a touchscreen but I guess that's not the case. Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure why I had that idea.