Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Turtlicious posted:

Is it possible to build a witness system? Where you only get negative or positive karma based on whether or not someone saw you? Or whether or not your decision would be found out? (Like you lose karma when the character goes back to see the safe empty that you were standing around waiting for the perfect moment to drop into sneak mode and rob it while the NPC's back was turned.)

This sounds pretty sick, to be honest. I would love to see this done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Turtlicious posted:

Is it possible to build a witness system? Where you only get negative or positive karma based on whether or not someone saw you? Or whether or not your decision would be found out? (Like you lose karma when the character goes back to see the safe empty that you were standing around waiting for the perfect moment to drop into sneak mode and rob it while the NPC's back was turned.)

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/GetDetected
http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/IsActorDetected
http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/GetDetectionLevel
http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/CreateDetectionEvent
http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/RewardKarma

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey Cirosan, I know that your Weapon Swap dealie intentionally isn't supposed to work with Honest Hearts companions, but aren't they still supposed to be immune to poison? Because my Waking Cloud is getting all torn to poo poo by cazadors, and post-battle the only way she can survive is if I sit there and pump stimpaks into her lazy death-wishin' rear end.

The correct CCO module is installed (and the incorrect ones are not installed) in the readme-recommended order--otherwise all features have been working perfectly--and it's far down enough in my mod list that nothing else should be interfering. Any ideas?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 11, 2013

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you're willing to tolerate model glitches with a few guns that still need model fixes and reexports, a (rather silly-looking due to it not being fired from the back, admittedly) M2HB is available at the highest Gun Runners tier inventory with the latest WIP version and ESP patch in the IRC channel.

Bringing this over from the main FNV thread. So, I downloaded the most recent Armory WIP that was in the folder that is linked on the first page, but did not see the M2 available (I loaded the cabinets to save some time). Am I missing something? The file was from 12/29/2012.

I did find a flak cannon, which was hilarious for a few minutes, made my flu recovery a little easier to bear.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rex Deckard posted:

Bringing this over from the main FNV thread. So, I downloaded the most recent Armory WIP that was in the folder that is linked on the first page, but did not see the M2 available (I loaded the cabinets to save some time). Am I missing something? The file was from 12/29/2012.

I did find a flak cannon, which was hilarious for a few minutes, made my flu recovery a little easier to bear.

It should be listed as "Browning M2HB" in the cabinets.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Asking here since the Fallout 3 thread is kind of dead - does anyone have copies of the Apocalypse Armory and Fallout Remastered mods for Fallout 3?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It should be listed as "Browning M2HB" in the cabinets.

This is what I see, I made an assumption that the WIP should be loaded alone, not in conjunction with the normal Armory mod. Is that wrong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012
Hey, are we allowed to talk about modding Fallout 3 here since the dedicated 3 thread hasn't been posted in for nearly a year? Nothing technical-like, just general advice on making a mod.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rex Deckard posted:

This is what I see, I made an assumption that the WIP should be loaded alone, not in conjunction with the normal Armory mod. Is that wrong?

...Yes.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Not sure what is left now, have Armory 2.5 and then WIP, and I see new items in the cabinets, just no Browning M2HB, and nothing at the Gunrunners either.

I do see it in the texture subdirectory, so the file is present.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So yeah, I just discovered Project Brazil and while it does sound awesome I'd rather wait for all the 'chapters' to be finished before trying it.

It does sound pretty bad rear end though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lilfut posted:

Hey, are we allowed to talk about modding Fallout 3 here since the dedicated 3 thread hasn't been posted in for nearly a year? Nothing technical-like, just general advice on making a mod.

The Fallout 3 Modding thread is still (kind of) active and was last posted in yesterday, but modding questions generally apply to both games, so you might as well ask it here.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012
Okay, so is there a more convenient way to do dialogue trees in GECK than tedious, repetitive nested if/else statements combined with way too many message files?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lilfut posted:

Okay, so is there a more convenient way to do dialogue trees in GECK than tedious, repetitive nested if/else statements combined with way too many message files?

I have not really used it for dialog much, but know the GECK, I'm going to say no.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I have not really used it for dialog much, but know the GECK, I'm going to say no.

Is there a third-party program that can help, then?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lilfut posted:

No idea!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Lilfut posted:

Nope. Dialogue just sucks to do.

EDIT: Sunrises are coming together:

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 11, 2013

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Those are the commands you would presumably use, yes, but you're missing one: http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/IsOwner
Otherwise, how would you check if the player was taking an item that was owned by someone or not?

Several problems I can see. You listed those functions, so I assume you're familiar with the GECK; tell me if you have an answer.
1. For this "witness" system to function properly, the game would have to detect two things at the exact moment the player picked up an item to see whether or not Karma should be deducted: One, whether or not the player is seen by someone, and two, if the object is actually owned by anything. This means that both of these would have to be running on the object in question before the player picked them up, which leads to the most glaring problem:
2. What kind of script block would this be used in? OnAdd Player? You would have to add the script to every item in the game, and some of them have scripts already. Gamemode, and have a phantom explosion use NVSE to add the script to all references that return as non-actors and non-creatures? Same deal - you could potentially overwrite an existing script and break something in the game. Also non-persistent references would be a crapshoot.
3. How would containers be detected? As in, if the player picked open a container that belonged to someone else? The best solution I can think of would be to run the script in a Menumode 1014 (lockpick) and/or Menumode 1055 (hacking) block, but then we run into the problem of what happens when the player actually takes stuff out of the container.
4. Could a Menumode block dynamically detect what container the player was trying to open? In my experience, I've used GetSelf to set a script reference, but that's been when I've had the benefit of working with NPCs, not containers, so I'm not sure how that trick would work.
5. The IsOwner function cannot detect public ownership. How would the witness system compensate if the player was taking something the game considered to be communally-owned?

In short: What you've listed could make a witness system possible, but only for opening owned containers - and containers owned by a specific individual or faction at that. But how the script detect what container was being interacted with? Off the top of my head, can GetLinkedRef detect what object the player is interacting with when called? Or is there another command that will return the reference that a player is using? In a pinch, you could use NVSE's GetCrosshairRef, maybe. GetActionRef would be a possibility, but it doesn't work in Menumode blocks.

E: Hey, come to think of it, how about GetIsUsedItemType or GetUsedItemActivate? Hmmm...

Trustworthy posted:

Hey Cirosan, I know that your Weapon Swap dealie intentionally isn't supposed to work with Honest Hearts companions, but aren't they still supposed to be immune to poison? Because my Waking Cloud is getting all torn to poo poo by cazadors, and post-battle the only way she can survive is if I sit there and pump stimpaks into her lazy death-wishin' rear end.

The correct CCO module is installed (and the incorrect ones are not installed) in the readme-recommended order--otherwise all features have been working perfectly--and it's far down enough in my mod list that nothing else should be interfering. Any ideas?
The poison resistance should be applied. Are you using the merged CCO DLC patch or the separate Honest Hearts patch? Also, use the console to see if Waking Cloud has CCO's Companion actor effect applied to her (she should).

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 12, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the easiest way to remove the Meltdown perk from my character? It's ruining my Project Nevada game, everything I shoot at close range blows up and kills me. :( Alternatively is there an easy way to neuter the perk so it's less damaging? Thanks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rex Deckard posted:

Not sure what is left now, have Armory 2.5 and then WIP, and I see new items in the cabinets, just no Browning M2HB, and nothing at the Gunrunners either.

I do see it in the texture subdirectory, so the file is present.
What this means is that the item vanished from the cabinets and won't show up again unless the cabinets are unloaded, saved, and then loaded again.

The ID for the weapon is xx01ABED (xx being the base ID of the Armory in your game)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the easiest way to remove the Meltdown perk from my character? It's ruining my Project Nevada game, everything I shoot at close range blows up and kills me. :( Alternatively is there an easy way to neuter the perk so it's less damaging? Thanks.

Is there a reason you can't just removeperk it? As in:

player.removeperk 0014609a

Then I'd probably look up and addperk a fair replacement perk, just so you're not screwing yourself.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Cirosan posted:

The poison resistance should be applied. Are you using the merged CCO DLC patch or the separate Honest Hearts patch? Also, use the console to see if Waking Cloud has CCO's Companion actor effect applied to her (she should).

Oh I'm pretty sure I had Waking Cloud die from cazador poison after fights ended, too. I just didn't think anything of it because I forgot companions were supposed to be poison immune. I'm a terrible beta tester. :ohdear: I was using the merged patch. I'll load up an old save and check that next time I'm in game.

edit: oh wait I don't know how to check that. I guess it's not showvars.

fentan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 12, 2013

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just started playing NV again, since I never actually beat the game yet. Do I actually need to buy Courier's Stash to use JSawyer? I have all the other DLC, but wasting even a dollar on that is sorta annoying.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I just started playing NV again, since I never actually beat the game yet. Do I actually need to buy Courier's Stash to use JSawyer? I have all the other DLC, but wasting even a dollar on that is sorta annoying.

Yep.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If for some reason you have an aversion to using console commands like Trustworthy mentioned, you can snag the cheat terminal.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45638

There isn't a description on the page anymore, but it opens up a terminal with all sorts of goodies, including a menu for adding/removing perks, as long as they're from the official game or DLC. Quite a few other handy features too, if you go through everything. There is a permanent terminal in Doc Mitchel's place, and an aid item to activate it through your pipboy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hobo on Fire posted:

If for some reason you have an aversion to using console commands like Trustworthy mentioned, you can snag the cheat terminal.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45638

There isn't a description on the page anymore, but it opens up a terminal with all sorts of goodies, including a menu for adding/removing perks, as long as they're from the official game or DLC. Quite a few other handy features too, if you go through everything. There is a permanent terminal in Doc Mitchel's place, and an aid item to activate it through your pipboy.

I've been meaning to put that program in the OP. Done.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yes, but there is a way around that, but it's a little tricky.

Get FNVEdit. You should already be using FOMM, so load up jsawyer.esp in TESsnip under the Tools menu.

- Under TES4, find the MAST records that correspond with the pre-order DLC. You can see which ESMs they reference in the right box. Delete them and the DATA records directly under them. Save.
- Make sure to check jsawyer.esp in your load order.
- Load up FNVEdit.
- Under the Cell and possibly also Worldspace records, if you fully extend the trees, there should be records named Placed Object. It should be fairly easy to discern which ones belong to the DLC packs, otherwise you can use the Fallout Wiki as reference. If you hover over the item, the name should appear in quotes on a tooltip.
- If it's the only record under that particular Cell or Block, delete that entirely, otherwise just delete the record itself.
- Press Ctrl+S, make sure jsawyer.esp is the only altered file, then save.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cirosan posted:

Several problems I can see. You listed those functions, so I assume you're familiar with the GECK; tell me if you have an answer.

I'm actually more familiar with Papyrus/CK than FO3/FNV scripting.

quote:

2. What kind of script block would this be used in? OnAdd Player? You would have to add the script to every item in the game, and some of them have scripts already. Gamemode, and have a phantom explosion use NVSE to add the script to all references that return as non-actors and non-creatures? Same deal - you could potentially overwrite an existing script and break something in the game. Also non-persistent references would be a crapshoot.

I would imagine that you'd only want "witness" constraints as part of specific quests, so you'd only add the script to certain quest-related items where you know there are potential witnesses. Adding the script to every item in the game is a bit ridiculous since those constraints don't make sense for most items in the wasteland.

quote:

3. How would containers be detected? As in, if the player picked open a container that belonged to someone else? The best solution I can think of would be to run the script in a Menumode 1014 (lockpick) and/or Menumode 1055 (hacking) block, but then we run into the problem of what happens when the player actually takes stuff out of the container.

OnOpen, OnClose, and MenuMode 1008 look like the right blocks for containers. You'd probably use GetItemCount to determine whether the player removed items from the container. Again, I'm not thinking of solutions that work for every item in the game; however, I suppose you could create a FormList that contains every item in the game. When the container opens, you'd capture the item counts, and when the container closes, you'd determine whether the item counts have changed. If they've changed, then you'd perform whatever actions you want.

quote:

4. Could a Menumode block dynamically detect what container the player was trying to open? In my experience, I've used GetSelf to set a script reference, but that's been when I've had the benefit of working with NPCs, not containers, so I'm not sure how that trick would work.

If you attach a script to a container, I think the container will always be the base reference. The wiki says, "GetSelf is only useful when this information is accessed externally, or when the scripted reference's RefID needs to be passed as a parameter to a function like PushActorAway." I don't think either case applies if the script is attached to a container.

quote:

5. The IsOwner function cannot detect public ownership. How would the witness system compensate if the player was taking something the game considered to be communally-owned?

The wiki says, "Note that IsOwner returns 0 if the owner is set to NONE, so it cannot be used to detect public ownership." This doesn't make sense to me because if IsOwner returns 0 if the object is public, then your condition should check whether IsOwner returns 0. Effectively, your condition should check whether an object is not owned.

quote:

But how the script detect what container was being interacted with?

As before, the base reference of a script attached to a container is the container. If you're doing something else, then you might try GetContainer.

quote:

Off the top of my head, can GetLinkedRef detect what object the player is interacting with when called? Or is there another command that will return the reference that a player is using? In a pinch, you could use NVSE's GetCrosshairRef, maybe. GetActionRef would be a possibility, but it doesn't work in Menumode blocks.

I don't think GetLinkedRef would work. GetActionRef looks like the right function. While the function may not work in MenuMode blocks, you probably don't need to use MenuMode blocks for what you want to accomplish. As before, you'd probably want to use OnOpen and OnClose or OnActivate.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

E: By the way Cream of Plenty, "Requiem for a Capital Wasteland" is now "A Tale of Two Wastelands" http://www.taleoftwowastelands.com/ and is still doing updates on their website.

Tale of Two Wastelands is so much more stable and better developed than Requiem for a Capital Wasteland it's crazy. Last time I installed RFCW a long time ago and pretty much ended up having to scrap my FNV installation entirely because of how messed up it was. Though there's still a few terrain glitches it seems to encompass your mods really well, including NMC and stuff like IWS and MoMod. (And even The Armory! and Nevada Skies URWLified!)

There's been a few strange glitches/clashing of the bad mods I like playing with like this dude being a robot with a minigun arm for some reason:

or Boone randomly informing me that we'll be near Nelson soon and that he's gonna kill all the Legionaries while in front of the Galaxy News Radio building.

Folks are right in saying that it's more of a theme park than NV though. The dialogue is really god awful and the world makes no sense, but it looks pretty nice while shooting folks and creates a pretty decent atmosphere for each individual setpiece. edit: Seriously, "[Intelligence 7] So you fight 'the good fight' with your voice' on the radio."? Intelligence 7?

Though there's a massive bullet sponge problem for Supermutant Overlords/Supermutants in general, even at level 50. Though that might be because I'm level 50 and they're scaled up to level 50 too? Either way, it makes combat with them using that combination of "bullets are fuckin' lethal man!" mods really irritating since they seem to still take an insane amount of bullets to kill while only taking a few to kill you (with low DT, though).
edit: Oddly enough, this has lead to the 'shoot the gun out of the enemy's hands' strategy to actually become ridiculously useful now, seeing as an unarmed supermutant with a broken gun is not as dangerous as a dude shooting a LMG into your chest.

Also bonus really awfully written nonsense mercenaries jumping you all smug-like with a grenade about to explode in their face.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 12, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there a mod that puts nicer textures on some of the older and uglier armours in the game? Having a lower res Merc armour next to some nice mod-added armour is getting a wee bit annoying

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Right here. There are probably others but I like this guy's stuff.

Holy poo poo these screenshots. :pcgaming: But why the hell don't you have SMAA enabled?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Adraeus posted:

Sound advice
I'm really liking the idea of having individual setpieces be uniquely scripted instead of this being a global change. Call it a tendency to over-engineer - every other time I've had to implement something into CCO, it had to be a game-wide change. Hard to break out of that mindset sometimes.

What I'm thinking is that the containers and objects that would be affected by this witness system would be things that really would be consequential in the wasteland, like medical supplies. For instance, nobody would begrudge you for taking Doc Mitchell's Pre-War Hat, but taking all his Doctor's Bags would be a huge drop. And so on.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Karma needs to stay a universal observer, so to speak, that always changes even if no one can see you. It's Karma, after all, and is rooted more in the spiritual and metaphysical than anything in reality. What the witness system could affect is more drastic changes in Reputation. As it stands, when you steal something, any item will piss off everyone equally. Going from the previous example, stealing a hat wouldn't make too many waves, but swiping all of Goodsprings' medical supplies might drop you straight to vilified status.

Thanks for your thoughts. Good to bounce ideas off sometimes. If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If thats the way you want to use reputation, could you make it so reputation isn't a one way slide and you have some way to get back in the good books?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What this means is that the item vanished from the cabinets and won't show up again unless the cabinets are unloaded, saved, and then loaded again.

The ID for the weapon is xx01ABED (xx being the base ID of the Armory in your game)

That fixed it thanks. So now my new game has Roadblock from GI Joe finding himself in New Vegas. I found a bald mod so now just trying to find a camo sleeveless t shirt.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Fereydun posted:

Seriously, "[Intelligence 7] So you fight 'the good fight' with your voice' on the radio."? Intelligence 7?

If you have INT 7 you're saying it sarcastically! :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fereydun posted:

sick screenshots :toot:

Can you post your graphics settings? Holy poo poo these are some of the best shots in this thread, and that is saying something! (beeb you still rule)

I hope that Tale of Two Wastelands gets to the point where I can start New Vegas and have it ask if I want to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I don't need to take my Courier into the Capital Wasteland, but I would love to play Fallout 3 with all the sweet New Vegas mechanics.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Can you post your graphics settings? Holy poo poo these are some of the best shots in this thread, and that is saying something! (beeb you still rule)

I hope that Tale of Two Wastelands gets to the point where I can start New Vegas and have it ask if I want to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I don't need to take my Courier into the Capital Wasteland, but I would love to play Fallout 3 with all the sweet New Vegas mechanics.

I use the ENB settings I posted earlier (Link) NMC medium textures, Poco Bueno textures and Nevada Skies URWLified (though that doesn't do much for Fallout 3, just gives it weather- the skybox is still that weird blinding one unless there's weather.) with dark nights.

You actually start new games in Tale of Two Wastelands in the Fallout 3 game world, with a train bringing you back and forth between wastelands. I guess the idea is supposed to be that the vault kid is also the courier or something.
I had a crashing issue with the birthday scene so I ended up downloading a save that was put at the character edit section before you leave the vault and that worked so there's that too though.

The Pitt really reminds me of like, a gameplay prototype of Dead Money or something with how it's laid out. The Steel Pit part is supposed to be that kinda survival-horror with a focus on scarcity, but with a stranger result of snowballing due to the humanoid enemies giving just a lot of items if you start icing them.

Also just wanted to post this because it looks like a promo shot.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are the must-have mods that are most compatible with Tale of Two Wastelands? I'm going to try TTW. I absolutely loved The Pitt.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Fereydun posted:

The Pitt really reminds me of like, a gameplay prototype of Dead Money or something with how it's laid out. The Steel Pit part is supposed to be that kinda survival-horror with a focus on scarcity, but with a stranger result of snowballing due to the humanoid enemies giving just a lot of items if you start icing them.

I wish The Pitt didn't have that damned scavenger hunt for ore or ingots or whatever, because my completionist side took over, and tracking down the last dozen or so pieces took me more time than the rest of that DLC put together. For the most part it wasn't fun, and now years later that's what I remember most clearly about the whole thing, despite there being (IIRC) some neat areas, a fairly compelling storyline, and an interesting moral dilemma.

Cirosan posted:

I'm using the merged patch. Not sure what the console command is for checking actor effects, but if you or someone gives me a push in the right direction I'll be sure to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man, now I almost wish that New Vegas had more sewers.

Also, for anyone with more experience with ENB than me, is it possible to stop SSAO from affecting grass? The performance hit on my machine isn't bad, but it has a really weird effect where all of the blades overlapping each other create a flashing effect like they're horribly aliased.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 12, 2013