Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No argument from me there.

The closest thing to "just work" is to submit your model to shapeways.com .

Other than that any home printer will require some amount of work. But the main benefits (from an "interested mainly in end result" perspective) are not having a multi-week turnaround, and the ability to print very, very cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you buy a commercial machine, most of the fiddling is software -- firmware and the slicing software. You'll make or break your quality and speed there.

ADMRL Perkins
Jul 1, 2008
I've built and calibrated an ultimaker and a printbot jr for our local hackerspace. (Xerocraft in Tucson). I've been using both of them so much that I think it's time for a printer of my own. I really can't go backwards on quality from the ultimaker so I'm looking into printers with the same, if not better resolution. I'm technically inclined and poor so I'm thinking the prusa mendal or the mendal max. Has anyone had experience with either of these? Are the prints on par with the ultimaker? And is there a print quality difference between the two?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ADMRL Perkins posted:

I've built and calibrated an ultimaker and a printbot jr for our local hackerspace. (Xerocraft in Tucson). I've been using both of them so much that I think it's time for a printer of my own. I really can't go backwards on quality from the ultimaker so I'm looking into printers with the same, if not better resolution. I'm technically inclined and poor so I'm thinking the prusa mendal or the mendal max. Has anyone had experience with either of these? Are the prints on par with the ultimaker? And is there a print quality difference between the two?

I built a mendelmax and think it prints ok. I typically print at around 80-100mm/s with a 0.5mm nozzle. Mine could probably run faster but not by a factor of 2 or 3 without shaking apart.

ADMRL Perkins
Jul 1, 2008
That's not bad speed at all. We generally run our ultimaker around 60-80mm/s because of the extrusion issues that arise. I've run it at 300mm/s and it kept up for a few layers until the filament jammed. Would you say the overall quality is comparable?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ADMRL Perkins posted:

That's not bad speed at all. We generally run our ultimaker around 60-80mm/s because of the extrusion issues that arise. I've run it at 300mm/s and it kept up for a few layers until the filament jammed. Would you say the overall quality is comparable?

Unfortunately, I've never seen an ultimaker in action, or one of its prints.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
I run my makergear M2 at 200+mm/s and extrusion jamming has never taken place- I do sometimes have issues with layer adhesion (moreso at super-high speed), and I've had a few prints foul up due to a Z axis slip that I still can't identify the cause of.

The makergear extruder seems to have the most reliable extrusion mechanism- it actually runs a screw with very deep cuts paralleled to the filament, meaning that there are 9+points of contact with the filament.

I can't comment on print quality vs an ultimaker unfortunately as I have never seen one either.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

ADMRL Perkins posted:

As far as kits go, nobody has the the quality of a well tuned ultimaker. Most kits go the opposite way and try to go for cheaper. The last few pages have had a number of complaints about build quality and support of the cheaper kits out there. Broken parts, missing parts, poorly matched gears etc.

The mendel derivatives are a special beast though. When you self source it, you can get top quality parts and still come in way cheaper than an ultimaker. You don't need to work in a profit margin, but what you don't spend in money, you do spend in time.

I'm not familiar with the new mendelmax kit, only the old one that had a BOM. But it was effectively just a stiffer mendel, but otherwise used standard reprap bits. I don't know how good the new one's extruder is, and that's definitely one of the things that directly impacts print quality.

The stiffness that the original mendelmax's extruded aluminum chassis would help it keep quality at higher speed, but at low speeds would have minimal effect. The important things on any printer are good extruder(hot and cold ends), good belt gears, straight rods, then linear bearings, and shaft couplings. Basically the mechanical bits.

Mendels vary from pretty bad to excellent depending on how much care you put into it. Dialed in mendels are pretty much the only people other than the ultimaker that is actively working on only getting layer heights below .1 mm. Pretty much everyone else is happy considering .3 to .1 mm to be high quality.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Aside from rigidity, the other nice thing is that the Mendels have a billion different nuts, bolts, screws, threaded rod, washers, etc. The MendelMax is practically all the same bolt and t-nuts. There are a lot of them still but at least it's not a goddamn nightmare. The aluminum extrusions also allow you to square it up a lot easier than a normal Mendel.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The secret to my MM was to use vegetable oil to help tap the aluminum. Also, the BOM materials is inconsistent with the printed parts they list on thingiverse (BOM uses all 8mm rods and bearings, thingiverse uses both 8 and 10 mm).

ADMRL Perkins
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the input, I think I'm ready to take a crazy plunge. I'll keep everyone up to date, I'll post any spectacular failures and I'll try to do a side by side comparison against the ultimaker when I'm done. Spazzle could you clarify what you mean about the difference in sizes between the BOM and the .STL files on thingiverse? I assume you mean these files http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12645

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ADMRL Perkins posted:

Thanks for the input, I think I'm ready to take a crazy plunge. I'll keep everyone up to date, I'll post any spectacular failures and I'll try to do a side by side comparison against the ultimaker when I'm done. Spazzle could you clarify what you mean about the difference in sizes between the BOM and the .STL files on thingiverse? I assume you mean these files http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12645

The bom on mendelmax.com said to get 8mm smooth rods and linear bearings. The printed parts in the mm file on thingiverse, possibly what you linked to, use 10mm rods and bearings for the z axis and 8mm for x and y. The parts for all 8mm rods exist on thingiverse if you look around, or buy the appropriate 10mm rods. Maybe they fixed it in the past couple of months.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

ADMRL Perkins posted:

What hotend do you plan on using? I usually recommend the j-head, but a lot of people get good results from an arcol. If you go with a jhead get it from one of the reputable vendors, like the guy who actually designed it, not an ebay special. The ebay clones have some questionable modifications.

I'd also like to point out that that thingiverse link also has a link to a newer version of the mendelmax. I have no idea how or even if this affects the BOM stl discrepancy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Very much considering a Solidoodle 3. I like the large print area, don't want to mess around with a kit and it sounds like the default settings have been fine tuned a bit better than the 2 so there's not as much fiddling with the print settings to get a quality print.

I am also considering the Up! Mini but the print area of the Solidoodle for pretty much the same price seems to be worth the potential hassle of having to mess around with settings to make the quality as nice.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

Spazzle posted:

The bom on mendelmax.com said to get 8mm smooth rods and linear bearings. The printed parts in the mm file on thingiverse, possibly what you linked to, use 10mm rods and bearings for the z axis and 8mm for x and y. The parts for all 8mm rods exist on thingiverse if you look around, or buy the appropriate 10mm rods. Maybe they fixed it in the past couple of months.

There are quite a few variations on the standard MM 1.5, and the rod lengths can vary slightly. Where are you getting the plastic parts from? I bought mine from ebay, put the frame together and then worked out what length smooth rods I needed, saving some money as I got away with shorter lengths than specified on the BOM.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

evilmonkeh posted:

There are quite a few variations on the standard MM 1.5, and the rod lengths can vary slightly. Where are you getting the plastic parts from? I bought mine from ebay, put the frame together and then worked out what length smooth rods I needed, saving some money as I got away with shorter lengths than specified on the BOM.

The problem was rod width, not length.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Spazzle posted:

The secret to my MM was to use vegetable oil to help tap the aluminum.

Oh yeah, definitely use some kind of cutting fluid when working with aluminum, unless you want to ruin your taps/drill bit/etc. I used 3-in-1 oil for tapping the extrusions for my ORD.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I installed Makerware on OSX and didn't realize it didn't support dual extrusion and now ReplicatorG can't find my bot even though Makerware can. :argh:

I've tried killing/stopping Conveyor, but no dice. Any ideas?

edit: I'm retarded. I had an Arduino plugged in and was idiotically picking the wrong port. This question never happened.

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 4, 2013

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Got my B9 Creator resin in the mail today....now all I need is the machine!

ADMRL Perkins
Jul 1, 2008

evilmonkeh posted:

I'm going to print them on our ultimaker, so at least if I mess up size I can do another run.

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
I just bought a Mendel kit from the RepRapPro guys (a company founded by the original reprap designers from Bath). The biggest advantage over any of the numerous kickstarter-funded projects is probably that they're in the UK. I'm looking forward to endless evenings of tweaking!

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
What is everyone making now? I've made numerous gewgaws and knickknacks and quite a few parts to repair things or upgrade older projects but nothing of any consequence. I'm curious to know if everyone just makes shot glasses or if I'm missing out on something.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hu Fa Ted posted:

What is everyone making now? I've made numerous gewgaws and knickknacks and quite a few parts to repair things or upgrade older projects but nothing of any consequence. I'm curious to know if everyone just makes shot glasses or if I'm missing out on something.

I'm now obsessed with making life-size objects on my ancient MakerBot Cupcake. The last one I finished is this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35359

Here's a preview of my current project:

It's 384mm tall (just over 15 inches?) and I'm in the middle of cleaning up the parts for assembly. Like the Alexander the Great bust, it took just over forty hours of printing.

Also, I've just started working at 3D Phacktory and got to play with an Objet 500 for the first time. Soooo coool. :)

The cleanup on the stuff coming out of the Objet is pretty interesting.. Everything is covered in support material that has to manually water jetted off, then soaked in lye for an hour or two and rinsed.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I spent the week after christmas printing out a prototype scale model of a snowmobile sled my father has designed. Part of that was designing printable shock absorbers that can take springs stolen from pens.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

techknight posted:

I'm now obsessed with making life-size objects on my ancient MakerBot Cupcake. The last one I finished is this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35359

Here's a preview of my current project:

(snipped)

It's 384mm tall (just over 15 inches?) and I'm in the middle of cleaning up the parts for assembly. Like the Alexander the Great bust, it took just over forty hours of printing.

Also, I've just started working at 3D Phacktory and got to play with an Objet 500 for the first time. Soooo coool. :)

The cleanup on the stuff coming out of the Objet is pretty interesting.. Everything is covered in support material that has to manually water jetted off, then soaked in lye for an hour or two and rinsed.

Holy christ. 40 hours? I still can't get my Replicator to print on the left extruder for more than 10 minutes. The right one seems to be ok. I have printed a small army of creepers for presents, everyone seems to love those.

Anta posted:

I spent the week after christmas printing out a prototype scale model of a snowmobile sled my father has designed. Part of that was designing printable shock absorbers that can take springs stolen from pens.

That sounds pretty slick, do you have a picture of the finished product?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Has anyone else used ABS from Voxel Factory? The price is very good, but the parts that I've printed have a very strong odour. (So far I've used their red ABS and yellow ABS.)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

greenman100 posted:

Just an update on the extruder I mentioned earlier - beta testing has begun! Details here:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/6154/#p6154

Keep up the good work on this, progressing rapidly from what it looks like. Hope you get the bearing issue figured out, have you looked at bushings (plastic or brass) instead?

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

Fatal posted:

Keep up the good work on this, progressing rapidly from what it looks like. Hope you get the bearing issue figured out, have you looked at bushings (plastic or brass) instead?

Bushings are probably a decent fit for this application, partly because RPMs are so low. I'm trying to reduce load on the motor though, and bushings will have more motor loading than ball bearings/roller bearings. I used a metal bushing so far, ran about 10 hours on it, no wear, but the motor RPM dropped by about 30%.

I think I have a solid solution now, that only adds a few bucks over the original cost. Tough part about all this is I do it in my free time - an hour or two here, wait 3 days for parts, an hour or two there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm trying to modify some food storage containers. They're made of polypropylene or LDPE, and no glue sticks to them. I'm printing ABS, and am wondering how to get my parts to stick to the containers.

What glues stick to PP/LDPE? What glues will stick PP/LDPE to ABS? Am I going to end up printing backplates and using screws to hold everything together then sealing the surfaces?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm not sure about those specific plastics but did you try roughing up the surface with some sandpaper first? That can make a big difference with glue adhesion. Try some 120grit, then maybe some hot melt glue, or epoxy.

I hope you're not still planning on putting food in there after gluing it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
In lighthearted news, I guess we all have this to look forward to in a decade or two:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2851#comic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

In lighthearted news, I guess we all have this to look forward to in a decade or two:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2851#comic

One of the early conspiracy theories around factory automation was that the Soviets would remotely reprogram car factories to build tanks overnight while everyone was at home, which hordes of fifth columnists would be waiting to jump into and terrorize the city.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

peepsalot posted:

I'm not sure about those specific plastics but did you try roughing up the surface with some sandpaper first? That can make a big difference with glue adhesion. Try some 120grit, then maybe some hot melt glue, or epoxy.

I hope you're not still planning on putting food in there after gluing it.

There are plenty of food-safe glues, adhesives, and sealants.

Roughing the stuff up does not help. I've used a couple of CA glues, vinyl, abs, silicone, polyurethane, rubber cement, and three different epoxies. PE/PP is impervious crap. Now I know why these are always welded.

In other news, my y-axis now skips on any travel over 40mm. Super fun times. This is the problem with using steppers instead of servos.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 13, 2013

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In other news, my y-axis now skips on any travel over 40mm. Super fun times. This is the problem with using steppers instead of servos.

You only really need servos if you're going high speed and high rpms. Neither of which are necessary for 3D printing. Try adjusting the current on your drivers.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Obsurveyor posted:

You only really need servos if you're going high speed and high rpms. Neither of which are necessary for 3D printing. Try adjusting the current on your drivers.

Good call. I was putting 1.12 A into a 1A motor and it was overheating. Adjusted back down to 0.6A. Odd that the current adjuster would move, ever, and only on one axis, but whatever.

ProtonStorm
Oct 12, 2012
I've been looking at building a small CNC mill that I could add an extruder head to for 3d printing. Has anyone tried this? I'm specifically looking at a Shapeoko hardware kit (I've got most of the electronics already), but I'm somewhat concerned that there isn't enough Z-axis travel to print anything very big. The Shapeoko wiki lists this as an option someone in their forums tried, I'm more curious if anyone else has tried this with other CNC mills.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ProtonStorm posted:

I've been looking at building a small CNC mill that I could add an extruder head to for 3d printing. Has anyone tried this? I'm specifically looking at a Shapeoko hardware kit (I've got most of the electronics already), but I'm somewhat concerned that there isn't enough Z-axis travel to print anything very big. The Shapeoko wiki lists this as an option someone in their forums tried, I'm more curious if anyone else has tried this with other CNC mills.

Zen Toolworks makes one that would easily support a 3D head. I think they even have a 3D head kit now. I have a 7x12x7 but I was never able to get it to work reliably with EMC2 before I moved on to my ORD bot. I am actually working on building something that will hold one of my spindles so I can do light carving(foam, soft woods) on my ORD bot.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There are plenty of food-safe glues, adhesives, and sealants.

Roughing the stuff up does not help. I've used a couple of CA glues, vinyl, abs, silicone, polyurethane, rubber cement, and three different epoxies. PE/PP is impervious crap. Now I know why these are always welded.

Quick google search says Loctite brand Plastix, see this forum post: http://old.4hv.org/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=2268 in which I think they're talking about this product: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It looks like the Replicator 2X is up for sale now! With an ~8 week lead time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

It looks like the Replicator 2X is up for sale now! With an ~8 week lead time.

And only for the low price of $2800. :unsmigghh: