Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Convoy transporting American troops to Russia during the Invasion of Russia, 1918.

American troops in Vladivostok. Probably 1919.

American troops digging in in the Arkhangelsk Oblast, in the far north west of the Russia.

American troops in Siberia.

The only good American troop invading another nation and recent WW 1 ally unprovoked.

Nations who invaded Russia almost immediately following the 1917 revolution:

British Empire
Empire of Japan
Czechoslovakia
Greece
United States
France
Serbia
Romania
Italy
China

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Empire of Japan has a great series of pictures made for the invasion of Siberia.

None of these scenes ever happened the way they're depicted.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I feel like there's some parallel here to the debt-ceiling fight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orange Devil posted:

Czechoslovakia

:hist101: Czechoslovakia didn't exist yet and the Czechoslovak Legion, a corps of some 70 000 volunteers, didn't seek quarrels with the new Russian regime. Even though the British and Americans used conflicts between the Legion and the various Russian factions as a pretext for invading Russia, the Czechoslovaks themselves remained a politically ambiguous force that was dragged into fighting the Bolsheviks by Trotsky's deals with the Germans. The Germans wanted the Legion to be disarmed and imprisoned, the Red Army tried to comply, and the Legion - which was already on its way from Russia - found itself attacked by Red commanders, and scattered by rapidly shifting lines of battle. Ultimately most Legionnaires chose to carry on towards Vladivostok, forcing their way through when needed, while others merged with the White czarist armies, and some Communist sympathizers / pan-Slavists chose to work with the Bolsheviks.

The Legion aided in combat by the spirit of Hussite leader Jan Zizka.

Jaroslav Hašek, the most influential Czech writer of the 20th century and a Legionnaire who decided to assist the Communist government. He stayed in Russia until the end of 1920 as an agitator.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

steinrokkan posted:

:hist101: Czechoslovakia didn't exist yet and the Czechoslovak Legion, a corps of some 70 000 volunteers, didn't seek quarrels with the new Russian regime. Even though the British and Americans used conflicts between the Legion and the various Russian factions as a pretext for invading Russia, the Czechoslovaks themselves remained a politically ambiguous force that was dragged into fighting the Bolsheviks by Trotsky's deals with the Germans. The Germans wanted the Legion to be disarmed and imprisoned, the Red Army tried to comply, and the Legion - which was already on its way from Russia - found itself attacked by Red commanders, and scattered by rapidly shifting lines of battle. Ultimately most Legionnaires chose to carry on towards Vladivostok, forcing their way through when needed, while others merged with the White czarist armies, and some Communist sympathizers / pan-Slavists chose to work with the Bolsheviks.

I was aware of the Czechoslovak Legion and their railway antics and their role in the formation of the Czechoslovak state, but was not aware they were originially living in the Russian Empire and allowed by the Czar to form a number of rifle regiments to fight the Dreibund, and ofcourse specifically Austro-Hungary, in order to help defeat them and hope to form a Czechoslovak state in the aftermath, thus making "invasion" an inappropriate term to use for their involvement.

Also, my earlier list did not include "Canada" as a country which invaded Russia following the revolution for some reason.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 12, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

I wonder if they realize that the White House IS a gun free zone. Gun free means you can't bring yours in, only authorized personnel are allowed to be armed. Go ahead and try to bring your guns into the White House folks, just let me know ahead of time so I can record the response for youtube.

Aaron Swartz committed suicide last night. He was 26. If you have used the internet for any period of time, you probably made use of something that had his fingerprints all over it. RSS, Reddit, web.py, Jottit, and MarkDown all helped net him a sizable amount of cash, which he then used to fund Demand Progress (a progressive political advocacy group that used IT extensively to coordinate its actions), RECAP, a free alternative to PACER (PACER chages access to read ruling on Aerican law. They charge for access and a fee for each time you pull something. He purchased access from PACER to download ~20% of their database of rulings and uploaded them to RECAP so citizens could access case law for free), and did the same with JSTOR, downloading 4 million academic articles and releasing them for free on P2P networks. Both saw government investigation, the JSTOR case led to a wildly over the top prosecution. Here are his own words on his outlook, actions, and how he got where he was https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget

Lots of people like to complain about how the world is. Swartz made plans at took action. At the age of 26 he accomplished more for change than most will in their entire lives. Unfortunately in the end his internal demons caught up with him.

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

RIP Aaron Swartz

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 12, 2013

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Orange Devil posted:

Also, my earlier list did not include "Canada" as a country which invaded Russia following the revolution for some reason.

I figured it fit under "British Empire", which was why I didn't point out that Australia and New Zealand also joined in the counterrevolution.

Gagarin and Guevara

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

ZappDash posted:

This is a bit late, and I don't think you get PMs, but I am curious to know more about Arabic artwork, esp. this kind of stuff. Would you have any book recommendations so that I can peruse at leisure? If possible, collections of artwork be amazing. Thanks.

Your best resource is finding various manuscripts online and browsing through them. Princeton University and Cambridge University have huge projects to scan various manuscripts of the Shahnameh. There's thousands of minuatures from Persia, Central Asia, India, etc available there. There is a large collection of Ottoman minatures here.

Modern American movies in Ottoman miniature style- http://www.behance.net/gallery/Classical-Movies-in-Miniature-Style/4455311

A Clockwork Orange

Alien

Kill Bill

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

From the ultra-Catholic website https://www.traditioninaction.org:

quote:

The WYD [World Youth day] in Madrid is over. Even more than previous ones, this meeting was marked by a laxness in customs. Couples lying together on the ground in broad daylight, women wearing bikinis and men with bare chests could hardly induce the other participants to the practice of virtue, speaking euphemistically. Instead, such behavior makes a strong invitation to sin.

Above, a couple's legs are intertwined as they lay together in public; below first row, a provocative girl in a bikini top takes the initiative of kissing her shirtless friend, their bodies soaking wet after being sprayed by the water truck. Second row, protected from the sun by Spanish flags, a young women displays her body in slightly modified bikini apparel as she casually looks for a snack in her bag. Her neighbors wear similar outfits.

Third row, a couple heads for the papal vigil. She rolls up her blouse to show her belly and, instead of using the "pilgrim hat" to protect her head from the sun, she chooses to attach it to her waist to direct the attentions of passersby to her derriere. Her shirtless companion in a sagging pair of shorts shows part of his underwear.

quote:

Fourth row, girls in bold bikini tops enter a kind of sensual ecstasy as the cold water touches their hot bodies: A strong occasion of sin for the young men present. Fifth row left, framed by five pairs of legs, a half-naked young man prepares for the ceremony, while at right his phlegmatic colleague in super mini-shorts observes the movement of the camp. Sixth row, a half-nude young man and his water-soaked friend enjoy the spray that makes her blouse transparent.

When almost everything invites to sensuality and almost nothing prevents things from reaching their last stages, it is not necessary to be too smart to conclude that those final consequences happened. The bold photos showed here allow us to say that the atmosphere of the WYD-2011 resembled that of an enormous orgy. Its principal difference is that this brothel-like atmosphere at the WYD is blessed by the religious authorities and endorsed by the presence of Benedict XVI.

You can practically hear his shame-boners, it's brilliant. Have a look at the site, the gallery section ("Church Revolution in Pictures") is great - he takes everything fun and/or post-1850 in Catholic liturgy and bemoans it as a sign of our time's depravity. It's a great source for photos of interesting church stuff.

Oh, and as a bonus (he always groups his photos together like this and I didn't feel like manually splicing them up :effort:)

The abbot primate of the Benedictine order rocking the gently caress out. :rock:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm still angry that I paid money for that piece of poo poo Survivors. :argh: At least it's in the trash now so noone else has to read it. Although the part where the good Christian survivalists come across a couple of literal baby-eating Mao's little red book carrying communists is pretty hilarious.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Ahaha this site is great

quote:

Sisters of St. Joseph play the conga drums

The two ladies you see laughing in the foreground in turquoise suits are Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace from Longview, Washington. The one at the left is Sister Francena Dodd and next to her is Sister Ann Hayes, today at Trinity University, Washington, DC. They were attending a Catholic Health Assembly in San Diego in 2005.

For the opening ceremony, they found nothing more suitable than to play the conga drums. This represents an evident lack of seriousness for religious women, who should be Spouses of Christ rejecting the world to console Him in His Passion and to help their neighbors carry their crosses.

Besides, to be played the conga drum must be held by the thighs, which means a woman has to raise her skirt up. As seen in this photo, the two Vatican II nuns had no problem doing this and offering a partial view of their upper legs.

One can only wonder what the reaction of their superiors was when they learned of this. Probably no censure was issued. Perhaps some of them even praised the nuns' musical skills and asked for a lesson in playing conga drums...

System Metternich posted:

You can practically hear his shame-boners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZnQPLJi2t4

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Fried Chicken posted:

Aaron Swartz committed suicide last night. He was 26. If you have used the internet for any period of time, you probably made use of something that had his fingerprints all over it. RSS, Reddit, web.py, Jottit, and MarkDown all helped net him a sizable amount of cash, which he then used to fund Demand Progress (a progressive political advocacy group that used IT extensively to coordinate its actions), RECAP, a free alternative to PACER (PACER chages access to read ruling on Aerican law. They charge for access and a fee for each time you pull something. He purchased access from PACER to download ~20% of their database of rulings and uploaded them to RECAP so citizens could access case law for free), and did the same with JSTOR, downloading 4 million academic articles and releasing them for free on P2P networks. Both saw government investigation, the JSTOR case led to a wildly over the top prosecution. Here are his own words on his outlook, actions, and how he got where he was https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget

Lots of people like to complain about how the world is. Swartz made plans at took action. At the age of 26 he accomplished more for change than most will in their entire lives. Unfortunately in the end his internal demons caught up with him.

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

RIP Aaron Swartz

RIP Aaron Swartz, your post reminded me of a comment that popped up on Facebook today, in reply to this

quote:

Back when we had solidarity, they had to hang people. Now - disunited - people commit suicide.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2014

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
L-L-L-Lenin post!

"Under the flag of Lenin - Forward for the Motherland, for our victory!"

"Lenin - For the electrification of the whole country!" - 1924

A German soldier sitting on Lenin's head

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/uORm5.jpg :nws:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN posted:

"Lenin - For the electrification of the whole country!" - 1924

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 591 days!

So I know who the scary emotionless automaton on the left is but I can't quite place the guy on the right? Kissinger?

And as a special image treat today I found an old school project we had to do from like 3rd or 4th grade history summing up the USA's relations with the Native Americans in one or more images (which is just asking for trouble at that age really)

Here is apparently the gist of what I understood it to be, I think I was pretty spot on.

Cesar Cedeno fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 13, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was behind this at a stop light today. Spot the white supremacist bumper stickers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was behind this at a stop light today. Spot the white supremacist bumper stickers.

Does the 'MANATEE' on the plate mean they paid money to support wildlife?

This one shows that you donated to support watersheds by buying a slightly more expensive tag, for example.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

syscall girl posted:

This one shows that you donated to support watersheds by buying a slightly more expensive tag, for example.

I think Florida is one of those states that puts county names on their licence plates and there's a Manatee County in Florida.

e: This plate is issued by the Bay Mills tribal government and recognized by Michigan. I have no idea if it's valid in other states or not.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

syscall girl posted:

Nope it means he's from Manatee County.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

syscall girl posted:

Yeah, Florida has a lot of those but that's the normal license plate. This however is not:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Communist propaganda:

"1939 - enhance communication between countryside and city"

"Read the magazine Molodaya Gvarddiya [The Young Guard]"

"Death To World Imperialism"

"Long live the first of May"

“2 + 2 = 5: The arithmetic of an industrial-financial counter-plan, plus enthusiasm of workers!”

"Worked for glory!"

"If people don’t attack us, we will not attack them, if they attack us, we will surely attack them"

"To the West!"

"Proud father"

"USSR as a result of collective and state farms it has become the largest agricultural economy in the world.1931"

"Brothers-in-arms scheduled a meeting above the enemy’s city, with every handshake fascist Germany is cracking up."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

I'm still angry that I paid money for that piece of poo poo Survivors. :argh: At least it's in the trash now so noone else has to read it. Although the part where the good Christian survivalists come across a couple of literal baby-eating Mao's little red book carrying communists is pretty hilarious.

let me be the first to say hitler had the right idea

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

let me be the first to say hitler had the right idea

That would have been a great Mountain Dew flavor :(

And in traditional dishonest fashion the Hitler thing is not even true:

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/11/stop_talking_about_hitler/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

McDowell posted:

That would have been a great Mountain Dew flavor :(

And in traditional dishonest fashion the Hitler thing is not even true:

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/11/stop_talking_about_hitler/

haha wow

quote:

Besides, Omer Bartov, a historian at Brown University who studies the Third Reich, notes that the Jews probably wouldn’t have had much success fighting back. “Just imagine the Jews of Germany exercising the right to bear arms and fighting the SA, SS and the Wehrmacht. The [Russian] Red Army lost 7 million men fighting the Wehrmacht, despite its tanks and planes and artillery. The Jews with pistols and shotguns would have done better?” he told Salon.

"Welp, looks like this one's all wrapped up - let's just go on and get in the cattle car"

GULAG memorial in Magadan Oblast

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Holy poo poo I hate fake Cyrillic. What the gently caress does tsomyd"d"e mean?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Isn't that a place in Thailand?

Marx's grave in the East London Cemetery

Here's what a facebook friend had to say about it:

quote:

Another words let them be your sugar daddy, They would say" we'll take care of you." I think about 50 million middle class starve to death in Russia. After the communist took over.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

ekuNNN posted:

L-L-L-Lenin post!

Who's the handsome guy next to young Stalin?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Who's the handsome guy next to young Stalin?

Nicolae Ceaușescu, apparently.

I searched for "weed stalin" on gis and found this. Not what I was hoping for, but it's loving beautiful in so many ways. The irony of the statement at the bottom, the lack of historical knowledge, the lack of understanding the meaning of words. It's precious. Also, it features some fake cyrillic!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Crossposting from the Middle-East thread:

quote:

I've taken the liberty to translate a map published in a French newspaper that gives an overview of the situation in the region (link to the original, in French).

ECOWAS stands for Economic Community of West African States.

Bits I couldn't translate on the map itself:

quote:

Algeria: Directly involved in the struggle against AQIM but reluctant to intervene outside of its borders.
Ivory Coast: Holds the presidency of ECOWAS
Burkina: President Blaise Compaoré is the official mediator for the Malian crisis.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"A French soldier forces a German civilian to remove his hat during the funeral procession for a French officer, who was assassinated as a result of the French occupation of the Rhineland in 1923"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

"A French soldier forces a German civilian to remove his hat during the funeral procession for a French officer, who was assassinated as a result of the French occupation of the Rhineland in 1923"

Source? Old colour footage is always cool.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forums Terrorist posted:

Source? Old colour footage is always cool.

I don't know, sadly. I looked around a bit but can't find a source. It does kinda remind me of those enormous BBC documentary series about WWI and WWII.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Laminator posted:

Isn't that a place in Thailand?

Marx's grave in the East London Cemetery

pan out to see the newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marxist socialism, worst socialism :colbert:

• Locked thread