Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, the Galbadia Hotel is a very sketchy site. You can find the soundtrack on Amazon, so it's also :filez:. It seems to be out of print on Amazon, and sold by third-party resellers. Not sure if that means it's files or not, but you can find the soundtrack in better places and upload to Tindeck, I imagine.

It's fine as long as you have a proper pop-up blocker and up to date virus check. But yeah, I removed the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

BrainWeasel posted:

Do you care about this for SS/Hybrid LPs?

As a general rule I don't back up the videos for SS/Hybrid LPs because I have nowhere to put them. archive.org is only really for VLPs or at least LPs where you can only watch the videos and it's a complete LP.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't provide source downloads because of bandwidth reasons. Where can I send you the source videos for archiving purposes?

I'll mail you/PM you or something to get them and I can just give you SFTP details or something. I'll probably put this on my list of stuff to grab after I've gotten the current set of blip LPs (which I should hurry up and do, bah).

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Speaking of portable hard drives I was at target earlier picking up some eggs and milk and stuff and saw that they had a 750GB Western Digital My Passport for like 85 bucks which is about half of what I paid for my WD750GB a few years ago.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Well yeah, Taiwan isn't flooded anymore.

Also, Target is a supermarket now?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Well yeah, Taiwan isn't flooded anymore.

Also, Target is a supermarket now?

About 1/3rd of it is, yeah.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

baldurk posted:

In my ideal world everyone would at the very least keep a local backup to send me later - portable hard drives are really cheap, even for a 720p LP.

I've got all of my stuff on a 1TB external for backup purposes. Although I wonder about EU to US shipping costs if I was ever to do that.

Have actually been uploading the first Halo LP to YT for whenever Blip or Viddler notices my account and removes it but I've been putting that on hold because the uploading speed makes my irc connection a bit unstable.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Cangelosi posted:

It's fine as long as you have a proper pop-up blocker and up to date virus check. But yeah, I removed the link.

I appreciate the effort, but the album is also still available for sale from the artist here: http://www.danielamos.com/store/

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
These are for a Mass Effect hybrid LP I'm planning on possibly doing in the future, if I find I can commit to it. I want to capture all the video at the very least, first, if not write out all the updates. So it won't be coming for quite a while (playing a game twice in a row isn't exactly fun for me, but I'm having a good enough time with this one, despite only having rebeat it less than two weeks ago). Here's some mock updates for a dialouge heavy update and an action heavy update.

Update 1: Shakedown Run

Update 7: Visions

Things I'm seeing that I could improve upon from the test poster myself: Reduce the walls of floating heads by putting in a few more screenshots during dialogue bits. Also, debating still on a 75x75 profile picture or a 64x64. Can you see the 64x64 ones well enough in the second update post?

Keep in mind these aren't anywhere near final, if they don't have to be. I want to make sure that I'll actually finish the LPs first, I just want to make sure that what I have in style so far is fine.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Niggurath posted:

But what you have right now is still pretty fast.

Blue Ghost posted:

Edit: and yeah that was going too fast.

Zackcat posted:

Yeah I can't focus on the game and the subs without feeling rushed. Just remember the viewer is already dividing their attention between the video and your sub.

Mico posted:

It also helps to have a half a second without any subs up between lines. It's easier on the eyes that way.

Round three! I cut out the loading screen as I realized that could be inflictedshown off to you all in an Exploration video. Longer Subs and a split second 'blink' between them are the major improvements.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

kalonZombie posted:

These are for a Mass Effect hybrid LP I'm planning on possibly doing in the future, if I find I can commit to it.
I'm for the idea of a Mass Effect hybrid LP; that said, it seams you do not intend to make videos for dialogues. It's ok to use screenshots for a lot of them, but if feasible you may want to consider making videos for certain dialogues that are important enough or have elements that just might not come across in screenshots.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
There's no time like the present... Let's Play TimeShift

Thread is now up and running: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527820

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

kalonZombie posted:

These are for a Mass Effect hybrid LP I'm planning on possibly doing in the future, if I find I can commit to it. I want to capture all the video at the very least, first, if not write out all the updates. So it won't be coming for quite a while (playing a game twice in a row isn't exactly fun for me, but I'm having a good enough time with this one, despite only having rebeat it less than two weeks ago). Here's some mock updates for a dialouge heavy update and an action heavy update.

Update 1: Shakedown Run

Update 7: Visions

Things I'm seeing that I could improve upon from the test poster myself: Reduce the walls of floating heads by putting in a few more screenshots during dialogue bits. Also, debating still on a 75x75 profile picture or a 64x64. Can you see the 64x64 ones well enough in the second update post?

Keep in mind these aren't anywhere near final, if they don't have to be. I want to make sure that I'll actually finish the LPs first, I just want to make sure that what I have in style so far is fine.

Surprisingly, this doesn't seem like a bad way to present this game, due to excessive amount of dialogues.

On technical side, this game's graphics are far too detailed for PNG format to be viable. By using JPGs you can reduce the size of images tenfold (from about 350kb PNG to a 35kb JPG) so please consider doing this.

E: Not to mention, you didn't even optimise the PNGs to begin with; even your 350kb PNGS can be cut down to 200kb if optimised.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 12, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

JT Jag posted:

I'm for the idea of a Mass Effect hybrid LP; that said, it seams you do not intend to make videos for dialogues. It's ok to use screenshots for a lot of them, but if feasible you may want to consider making videos for certain dialogues that are important enough or have elements that just might not come across in screenshots.

Yeah there is at very least one conversation that probably demands a video.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFoO2G2NLJ0

Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption is a 2000 hack-and-slash RPG developed by Nihilistic Software (now nStigate Games), and published by Activision. It's based on the Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG by White Wolf – first released in 1991 – and as a result, the game has a lot of lore behind it. If you guys aren't familiar with the lore and want to get a better understanding of it, I encourage you to read chapter 6 of the game manual. Key terms and the like are explained in-game, but it's nowhere near as thorough as the manual. Don't worry if you can't find a copy of the manual, because I'll be quoting it from time to time as lore gets referenced.

The first half of the game is set in medieval Prague and Vienna, but the second half is set in modern England and New York. Wikipedia says that the two parts play differently, but I find that they play exactly the loving same. That's actually the weak-suit of the game; the combat is way too monotonous. To combat the repetitive nature of the gameplay, this is gonna be a hybrid LP, with the cutscenes and conversations coming to you in video -- as well as text and screenshots -- but the combat and exploration will be shown in screenshots, with maybe the additional video for a boss fight. Hopefully this'll hide the tedius nature of the combat and you'll stick around. Hopefully. I can't say that for sure. The main character tends to drive people away because of how unlikeable he is. Who's the main character, you ask?

Yeah, unfortunately that's him, doing his best derp-face. Christof Romuald is an extremely god-fearing Christian crusader. Seriously, he never shuts the gently caress up about it. The manual says he grew up in France, but he has an American accent, so someone dropped the ball on that one. It isn't like they couldn't find a voice-actor with an accent either; one of your companions later in the game has a pretty convincing british accent. The manual says he grew up “[i]n the little French village of St. Claire,” which I'm pretty sure isn't even an acceptable spelling of St. Clair, and could refer to multiple places in France. Christof later appears in White Wolf's Brujah and Nosferatu Clan Novels, but his name is misspelled as Christoph every time it comes up. No joke. Even years-later, when the novels were repackaged into one, as the Clan Novel Saga I-IV, his name was still spelled wrong. Basically, I think it's a conspiracy against him because everyone secretly hates him. That'll be true for us, too, as we'll be following Christof on his multiple generation-spanning adventure, and even get to make moral decisions for him.

That's where the interaction comes in. The game has multiple endings, and which one you get is influenced by what decisions are made and what Christoff's Humanity rating is. It goes from 0 to 100, and it we choose to make what the game considers to be morally corrupt choices, the rating goes down. It's up to you guys which path Christof takes, but its worth noting that the choices that lower your humanity sometimes give you bonuses, like more spells to use, or let you avoid hazzards, and are generally the less uptight, more fun options to choose. The choices that raise Christof's humanity lead to the "good" ending, however. Either way, I'm gonna show all the endings, so tell me which path we should go down. What we decide on will guide my general conversation choices, but I'm gonna let you guys vote on every major decision.

It should be obvious, but spoilers are an absolute no-no. Let's get on with it.

Part 1

I'm not sure what title would be good for this game. What do you guys think?

gatz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Feinne posted:

Yeah there is at very least one conversation that probably demands a video.

Oh no doubt. Several very, very important ones will be given videos, but it won't be a very common occurrence. There's at least four off the top of my head that will be getting videos when I get to them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

gatz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFoO2G2NLJ0

Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption is a 2000 hack-and-slash RPG developed by Nihilistic Software (now nStigate Games), and published by Activision. It's based on the Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG by White Wolf – first released in 1991 – and as a result, the game has a lot of lore behind it. If you guys aren't familiar with the lore and want to get a better understanding of it, I encourage you to read chapter 6 of the game manual. Key terms and the like are explained in-game, but it's nowhere near as thorough as the manual. Don't worry if you can't find a copy of the manual, because I'll be quoting it from time to time as lore gets referenced.

The first half of the game is set in medieval Prague and Vienna, but the second half is set in modern England and New York. Wikipedia says that the two parts play differently, but I find that they play exactly the loving same. That's actually the weak-suit of the game; the combat is way too monotonous. To combat the repetitive nature of the gameplay, this is gonna be a hybrid LP, with the cutscenes and conversations coming to you in video -- as well as text and screenshots -- but the combat and exploration will be shown in screenshots, with maybe the additional video for a boss fight. Hopefully this'll hide the tedius nature of the combat and you'll stick around. Hopefully. I can't say that for sure. The main character tends to drive people away because of how unlikeable he is. Who's the main character, you ask?

Yeah, unfortunately that's him, doing his best derp-face. Christof Romuald is an extremely god-fearing Christian crusader. Seriously, he never shuts the gently caress up about it. The manual says he grew up in France, but he has an American accent, so someone dropped the ball on that one. It isn't like they couldn't find a voice-actor with an accent either; one of your companions later in the game has a pretty convincing british accent. The manual says he grew up “[i]n the little French village of St. Claire,” which I'm pretty sure isn't even an acceptable spelling of St. Clair, and could refer to multiple places in France. Christof later appears in White Wolf's Brujah and Nosferatu Clan Novels, but his name is misspelled as Christoph every time it comes up. No joke. Even years-later, when the novels were repackaged into one, as the Clan Novel Saga I-IV, his name was still spelled wrong. Basically, I think it's a conspiracy against him because everyone secretly hates him. That'll be true for us, too, as we'll be following Christof on his multiple generation-spanning adventure, and even get to make moral decisions for him.

That's where the interaction comes in. The game has multiple endings, and which one you get is influenced by what decisions are made and what Christoff's Humanity rating is. It goes from 0 to 100, and it we choose to make what the game considers to be morally corrupt choices, the rating goes down. It's up to you guys which path Christof takes, but its worth noting that the choices that lower your humanity sometimes give you bonuses, like more spells to use, or let you avoid hazzards, and are generally the less uptight, more fun options to choose. The choices that raise Christof's humanity lead to the "good" ending, however. Either way, I'm gonna show all the endings, so tell me which path we should go down. What we decide on will guide my general conversation choices, but I'm gonna let you guys vote on every major decision.

It should be obvious, but spoilers are an absolute no-no. Let's get on with it.

Part 1

I'm not sure what title would be good for this game. What do you guys think?

You should [timg] those images or something, it's a pain in the rear end having them be just links to a larger image that opens in a new tab.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Feinne posted:

You should [timg] those images or something, it's a pain in the rear end having them be just links to a larger image that opens in a new tab.

I did use [timg], though. This is how it appears for me. You say you're just seeing links to the picture? Maybe it has something to do with the image hosting site I used? I dunno.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
We see it like that, but it's too small to really see. When we click it to make it bigger, it opens up a new tab.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

djw175 posted:

We see it like that, but it's too small to really see. When we click it to make it bigger, it opens up a new tab.

Oh, I see. How about I resize the images to 640x480 and use [img]?

Edit: Ok, Here's the updated test post. (Also replaced in test OP)

gatz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2013

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bare your midriff and get ready for technobabble, Let's Play Tales of the Abyss

Watch the opening here.

Primer:
Tales of the Abyss is the eighth main entry into Namco-Bandai's “Tales Of” series. While it appears to be your standard JRPG on the surface, the Tales games famously shake things up by foregoing the boring turn-based combat that the genre is so well known for. Instead, it opts for a sort of psuedo 3D real time battle system that relies heavily on combos, blocking, and dodging. It also features multiplayer, but we won't be seeing that because none of my friends have the time to play this monolith of a game alongside me. The developers also like to tout that their games lampshade and avoid many of the so called “JRPG cliche's”, but that's such a laughable claim I can't even pretend to take it seriously for the sake of proving it wrong later in the thread.

Despite a lackluster release in the West due to Namco's complete lack of marketing, Tales of the Abyss did quite well back in Japan. It's protagonist Luke would go on to become a mainstay in the Top 10 of the Tales Series popularity polls, and it even got its own Anime series that, in stark contrast to Symphonia and Phantasia's adaptions, followed the source material remarkably well and is actually quite watchable. I wouldn't recommend watching it until you've played the game though, since it still has to condense the plot and a few key elements slip through the net.

Anyway, what about the game proper?

The Good
Tales of the Abyss has a great battle system. No really, I mean an amazing battle system. I know I'll catch some flack from Vesperia fans, but I'd still argue that Abyss has the funnest battle system to date out of any Tales game. Tales of the Abyss was the first game to implement what would become known as the “Free Run” mechanic, which allows you to move on a three dimensional plane. Essentially, turning the game from pseudo 3D to actual 3D. It also throws in a lot of new mechanics, such as unique skills, upgrading specific attacks to gain new effects, using other party member's spells to power up your own spells, and so on. If this LP had a face cam (god forbid) during every battle you'd see me with a wide grin on my face every time.

The Not So Good
The Story is... well, yeah. It's a JRPG, and no JRPG is complete without annoying characters and stupid plot twists at every turn. Abyss specifically is rather infamous for its protagonist. Granted it definitely is nowhere near the worst the series has ever churned out (lookin' at you, Symphonia 2) but this isn't exactly Bastion. The game has a bad habit of throwing lots of technobabble around when it really isn't needed, and loves doing that JRPG thing where a character in your party knows some vital information that would have really come in handy, but said nothing for no reason. Still, the story definitely has its moments and I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad., especially with considering the lengths that went in to fleshing out the setting.

The Bad
I'm not gonna pull punches: the game is ugly. Though definitely still very anime, Abyss is the most “realistic” looking of the games in the series, and it isn't pulled off well. The world map in particular looks terrible: like something out of an N64 game. It also just looks... I don't know, blurry? Out of focus? And this is a constant, even when just playing the game on a PS2. It's not too noticeable, but it can be distracting. Also like most games of the era, it desperately wants some Anti-Aliasing.

It's also rather poorly coded. This is definitely the glitchiest of the Tales games, and it can also have a tendency to chug at times, too. Except for the battles, ironically what is probably the most intensive event in the game, which preform flawlessly and never lag. Okay then.

Despite all of these flaws, I am definitely something of a Tales of the Abyss apologist. It's flaws get nitpicked incessantly, and it's strengths tend to be overshadowed by it's little brother Symphonia and big brother Vesperia. I'll probably come off as harsh at times, but there is a lot to love about Abyss, and I hope I'm able to get some of it across.

You know they re-released this for the 3DS, right?
I do, except:
1. As far as I've been told, they changed nothing except for the 3D, which is seriously a stupid loving gimmick, Nintendo wouldn't translate to a recorded video anyway.
2. To my knowledge, capturing footage from a 3DS hasn't been figured out yet.

So yeah, I'm sticking with the original. If anybody owns the 3DS version, please feel free to correct any inaccuracies. In particular I'm interested if they fixed some of the chugging, because if so I'd probably recommend that version over this one. Even if it means you can't do the best glitch ever.

How is this Going to Work?
Updates will be in that screen shot form you love so much. Interesting things like animated cutscenes, boss battles, or a few particular scenes where the animation/music are important will be in video form.

Spoilers
Just don't, please. Don't talk about poo poo we haven't seen yet, even in spoiler tags. Seriously: if this was any other game, I'd like to have rather relaxed spoiler rules. But this is a game who's narrative heavily relies on keeping key information from the player until just the right moment, and spoiling it for people will cause it to collapse.

Updates
Chapter 1: It Started With a Song

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 13, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your banner is table breaking.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sydin posted:

Bare your midriff and get ready for technobabble, Let's Play Tales of the Abyss

Watch the opening here.

Primer:
Tales of the Abyss is the eighth main entry into Namco-Bandai's “Tales Of” series. While it appears to be your standard JRPG on the surface, the Tales games famously shake things up by foregoing the boring turn-based combat that the genre is so well known for. Instead, it opts for a sort of psuedo 3D real time battle system that relies heavily on combos, blocking, and dodging. It also features multiplayer, but we won't be seeing that because none of my friends have the time to play this monolith of a game alongside me. The developers also like to tout that their games lampshade and avoid many of the so called “JRPG cliche's”, but that's such a laughable claim I can't even pretend to take it seriously for the sake of proving it wrong later in the thread.

Despite a lackluster release in the West due to Namco's complete lack of marketing, Tales of the Abyss did quite well back in Japan. It's protagonist Luke would go on to become a mainstay in the Top 10 of the Tales Series popularity polls, and it even got its own Anime series that, in stark contrast to Symphonia and Phantasia's adaptions, followed the source material remarkably well and is actually quite watchable. I wouldn't recommend watching it until you've played the game though, since it still has to condense the plot and a few key elements slip through the net.

Anyway, what about the game proper?

The Good
Tales of the Abyss has a great battle system. No really, I mean an amazing battle system. I know I'll catch some flack from Vesperia fans, but I'd still argue that Abyss has the funnest battle system to date out of any Tales game. Tales of the Abyss was the first game to implement what would become known as the “Free Run” mechanic, which allows you to move on a three dimensional plane. Essentially, turning the game from pseudo 3D to actual 3D. It also throws in a lot of new mechanics, such as unique skills, upgrading specific attacks to gain new effects, using other party member's spells to power up your own spells, and so on. If this LP had a face cam (god forbid) during every battle you'd see me with a wide grin on my face every time.

The Not So Good
The Story is... well, yeah. It's a JRPG, and no JRPG is complete without annoying characters and stupid plot twists at every turn. Abyss specifically is rather infamous for its protagonist. Granted it definitely is nowhere near the worst the series has ever churned out (lookin' at you, Symphonia 2) but this isn't exactly Bastion. The game has a bad habit of throwing lots of technobabble around when it really isn't needed, and loves doing that JRPG thing where a character in your party knows some vital information that would have really come in handy, but said nothing for no reason. Still, the story definitely has its moments and I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad., especially with considering the lengths that went in to fleshing out the setting.

The Bad
I'm not gonna pull punches: the game is ugly. Though definitely still very anime, Abyss is the most “realistic” looking of the games in the series, and it isn't pulled off well. The world map in particular looks terrible: like something out of an N64 game. It also just looks... I don't know, blurry? Out of focus? And this is a constant, even when just playing the game on a PS2. It's not too noticeable, but it can be distracting. Also like most games of the era, it desperately wants some Anti-Aliasing.

It's also rather poorly coded. This is definitely the glitchiest of the Tales games, and it can also have a tendency to chug at times, too. Except for the battles, ironically what is probably the most intensive event in the game, which preform flawlessly and never lag. Okay then.

Despite all of these flaws, I am definitely something of a Tales of the Abyss apologist. It's flaws get nitpicked incessantly, and it's strengths tend to be overshadowed by it's little brother Symphonia and big brother Vesperia. I'll probably come off as harsh at times, but there is a lot to love about Abyss, and I hope I'm able to get some of it across.

You know they re-released this for the 3DS, right?
I do, except:
1. As far as I've been told, they changed nothing except for the 3D, which is seriously a stupid loving gimmick, Nintendo wouldn't translate to a recorded video anyway.
2. To my knowledge, capturing footage from a 3DS hasn't been figured out yet.

So yeah, I'm sticking with the original. If anybody owns the 3DS version, please feel free to correct any inaccuracies. In particular I'm interested if they fixed some of the chugging, because if so I'd probably recommend that version over this one. Even if it means you can't do the best glitch ever.

How is this Going to Work?
Updates will be in that screen shot form you love so much. Interesting things like animated cutscenes, boss battles, or a few particular scenes where the animation/music are important will be in video form.

Spoilers
Just don't, please. Don't talk about poo poo we haven't seen yet, even in spoiler tags. Seriously: if this was any other game, I'd like to have rather relaxed spoiler rules. But this is a game who's narrative heavily relies on keeping key information from the player until just the right moment, and spoiling it for people will cause it to collapse.

Updates
Chapter 1: It Started With a Song

Your screenshots are table breaking.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Also they seem to be taken off emulator at 1136x670, but at native rendering resolution, which not only makes them have the wrong aspect ratio but both blurry and jaggy at the same time. Either render at screenshot res or take screenshots at native res (should probably do this).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Turtlicious posted:

Your banner is table breaking.

Lance Streetman posted:

Your screenshots are table breaking.

gently caress. Thanks, though.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also they seem to be taken off emulator at 1136x670, but at native rendering resolution, which not only makes them have the wrong aspect ratio but both blurry and jaggy at the same time. Either render at screenshot res or take screenshots at native res (should probably do this).

No I'm taking captures directly from the PS3, so maybe it's doing something weird with it, thanks a lot for pointing that out. I know this sounds silly, but I actually haven't played TotA on a regular PS2 in so long that that just looks normal to me. I'll go muck about with the display settings and see if I can't get it to display the game without stretching it.

...Yeah, sounds like I have some work to do! Thanks. Also I'll fix the banner.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It actually is possible to capture from a 3DS; I saw a link kicking around that sold the capture unit or the 3DS with capture unit (not cheap).

Obviously, that doesn't make a difference on your LP (especially since it can't capture 3D, so there'd be no point going to the trouble anyway), but it is possible to do it outside of Nintendo-sanctioned capture kits.

EDIT: Ah, here it is. If you ever have too much money to spare, I suppose.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 13, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That seems like a fairly good price, honestly.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

muike posted:

That seems like a fairly good price, honestly.

Uh, no. No it doesn't. A brand new Happauge costs less then that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
For what it's worth, the primary benefit of the 3DS version is that the loading times are significantly lower. I don't have the video, but someone did a demonstration where they were able to screen transition and back 8 times before the PS2 version could do it once. Also, from my understanding the combat is locked at 30 FPS instead of 60, but it's a more consistent 30 across the entire game.

Also, I find it interesting you don't consider "Fetch Quest: The Story" to be a bad thing. I enjoyed Abyss, but goddamn did I get sick of seeing "Let's go here. Now let's go to a town halfway across the world. Oh, that person isn't there? Well let's go back to where we came from. Now let's do it all again!"

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Hey, I've been working on a Time Hollow LP for a little bit, and I'd like to get some criticism on it.

----------
Saving the future one paradox at a time: Let's Play Time Hollow!

Genre: Adventure
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Date: 3.19.08 (JP), 9.23.08 (NA), 2.06.09 (EU)
Developer: Tenky
Publisher: Konami

The Plot

The Game Manual posted:

Life is full of regrets... "If only I could have... If only I said... If only I didn't..." If only we had the power to change the past.

The story follows Ethan Kairos, a perfectly ordinary high school student who lives with his parents.
The day before Ethan turns 17, his father says he has something "important" to tell him on his birthday.
That same night, Ethan has a strange dream, He sees himself amidst a sea of flames... Then he's a child again, separated from his parents...
Ethan wakes up in an unfamiliar room. Unfamiliar - yet he vaguely remembers it as his own. Even more, something's terribly wrong...
Due to some bizarre twist of fate, the world has become a place where Ethan's parents went missing twelve years earlier.
So, with little-to-no choice, Ethan takes the "Hollow Pen" from his pet cat, Sox.
Armed with the power of the Hollow Pen, Ethan sets out to put things right-
All while searching for his stolen past.

How will you be handling this?

Seeing as this is a very text-heavy game, I'll be using primarily screenshots, supplemented by music links. There are videos in the game, so I'll be sure to link those where they come up. I will also utilize videos for cutscenes.

: Regular text will be actual character dialogue.

My own comments will be in italicized text

What's your experience with the game?

My experience with the game comes from around the time that this game was released. I think I saw it whilst browsing Gamestop one day, and I thought that it looked rather interesting. So I purchased it and it was just fun all the way through. Sure, I needed to use GameFAQs here and there, but I liked the story, and played through it at least a dozen times.
Recently, I decided to try to play it again, and found it to be one of the most compelling narratives I've seen in a while. I realized that it would be criminal not to share it with you guys, so here I am!

How was the game received?
The game had a lukewarm reception. Critics often praised the game's concept, but criticized the gameplay for being linear and incredibly restrictive.

However, this being an LP, you probably aren't going to play along, so you get all the fun of the concept with none of the banality of the gameplay!

Table of Contents

Test Post: Update 1

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

Uh, no. No it doesn't. A brand new Happauge costs less then that.

Exclusive technology that fills a certain niche is always priced up. Two-fifty sounds about right when you factor in shipping, development, and niche factor.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
You should end your first update with something more conclusive than "Time for breakfast!" and you don't really need to describe everything in every room. Maybe if the description of it is interesting, funny, foreshadowing or relevant, but not if it's just "I like my bedsheet pattern. Most importantly, you need to explain what the "hollow pen" in in the OP. It seems really important and like it'd be a unique use of the DS touch screen but it isn't described at all. Without describing what sets it apart, it's just some animes talking.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Exclusive technology that fills a certain niche is always priced up. Two-fifty sounds about right when you factor in shipping, development, and niche factor.

So $250 seems like a good price to record remakes of 15 year old games? I understand the concept of supply and demand but come on, that's way to much for a single purpose recording device when you can get some thing for at least $50 less and records four different devices. There is a point were you price people out of a market.

Although I think, at least looking at their website, they don't have the funds for a marketing department to do cost-benefit analysis.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'm more okay with it since (I assume) it also allows for regular DS capture.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

So $250 seems like a good price to record remakes of 15 year old games? I understand the concept of supply and demand but come on, that's way to much for a single purpose recording device when you can get some thing for at least $50 less and records four different devices. There is a point were you price people out of a market.

Although I think, at least looking at their website, they don't have the funds for a marketing department to do cost-benefit analysis.

If it was a huge competitive market, then the price might feel a bit off. But they basically have a monopoly on the whole "records 3DS footage" market. The whole "it can only record 3DS/DS footage" thing is what I meant by the niche factor. The people who want to capture 3DS footage badly enough to buy something like this are also the same people who would gladly waste 250 on a product that has a small number of possible uses.

olimar
Jan 6, 2013

Lance Streetman posted:

This. The alternative is Nintendo's own capture device which costs 10X as much. If you're someone who requires such a device, it's a bargain. Many customers are people who monetize videos on youtube; for them, it pays for itself (or they hope it will, at least) and they can justify the cost.

Honestly, I didn't expect it to continue selling as well as it has. Sales have been pretty steady for the 4 months or so it's been out. As long as that remains the case, I don't have much incentive to change the price. When I first started developing it, I expected it'd be priced somewhere around $150 or less. People talked me into bumping the price up, I'm kinda glad they did. *shrug* As I've mentioned elsewhere the price will fall eventually, it's just a matter of time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Okay, take two! Do these screenshots look any better?

Revised Update.

Artix74 posted:

For what it's worth, the primary benefit of the 3DS version is that the loading times are significantly lower. I don't have the video, but someone did a demonstration where they were able to screen transition and back 8 times before the PS2 version could do it once. Also, from my understanding the combat is locked at 30 FPS instead of 60, but it's a more consistent 30 across the entire game.

That's good to hear. You could say the PS2 version's loading times are pretty... abysmal. :downsrim:

quote:

Also, I find it interesting you don't consider "Fetch Quest: The Story" to be a bad thing. I enjoyed Abyss, but goddamn did I get sick of seeing "Let's go here. Now let's go to a town halfway across the world. Oh, that person isn't there? Well let's go back to where we came from. Now let's do it all again!"

Meh, never bothered me really. It's better than Symphonia where you have to do all that anyway, plus shifting across dimensions.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Schir posted:

Hey, I've been working on a Time Hollow LP for a little bit, and I'd like to get some criticism on it.

I agree with ThatPazuzu that you probably don't need to be examining the bedsheet patterns etc... then again, maybe it has some significance. (History changes and suddenly his bedsheet is different.)

I've been a bit curious about Time Hollow due to me loving anything to do with time travel or manipulating time (the only reason I'm LPing a generic shooter like TimeShift is that it's a generic shooter that has fun time stuff in it). So I don't need anything in the OP describing the premise of the game as I'm slightly familiar with it; but I think you might need something more for other people.

I know you are trying to keep it mysterious and left the game itself reveal what's going on, but I think you need to have some description of the main premise. Perhaps something similar to what is written on the back of the game box.

I assume the test post ends with mum calling about breakfast because it is just a test, but yeah that would be a pretty lame way to end an actual post. I think it'll be worth doing a complete first post. The screenshots and layout look fine.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

your evil twin posted:

I agree with ThatPazuzu that you probably don't need to be examining the bedsheet patterns etc... then again, maybe it has some significance. (History changes and suddenly his bedsheet is different.)

I'm examining all that stuff because the game requires that you do it before you can advance any further.

Also yeah, with the time travel stuff, a lot of that will change (bedsheets, floor, shelves removed, etc.)

your evil twin posted:

I assume the test post ends with mum calling about breakfast because it is just a test, but yeah that would be a pretty lame way to end an actual post. I think it'll be worth doing a complete first post. The screenshots and layout look fine.

Mostly it ends with that because the game then fades out and shows the video that I linked at the end of the test post, then it cuts to this

so I figured that was a decent stopping point.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Hey Sandcastle, I'm really looking for some solid feedback and criticsms on my test posts!

This is my first LP, so I'm sure there are tons of things I could improve. I'm most likely going to do a second test post for the dungeon crawling segments later on as well (which happens right after the end of my first content test post). I just want to get some feedback on what I've got so far to make sure I'm on the right track atleast!

Thanks in advance.

Introduction Post
First Content Test Post

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sydin posted:

Okay, take two! Do these screenshots look any better?

Much better.

• Locked thread