Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If you have the time and the means to do so.. cook them on the BBQ grill. I marinate in Franks Red Hot then while grilling it is a combination of whatever sauce and crushed red pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
making spinach & mozzarella stuffed chicken breasts for dinner tonight, any idea of some good side dishes to have with it?

spartan885
Aug 2, 2012
Hit a deer not to long ago and still have some meat. Instead of making a stew yet again I thought I would ask if anyone had a good recipe for venison. I would prefer to make something with noodles or rice but hey if it's good I will try it out.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

LTBS posted:

Just in case anyone else is looking for steel cut oats recipes or something like I was last week, I found and also made my own.

Found
1c Steel Cut Oats
3c Water
1c Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
2tsp Cinnamon
1 apple peeled, cored, and diced
1/4c raisins

Put it all into the crock pot and set on low for ~7 hours. It turns out pretty good.

Mine - Since my mini crock is only 2QT, and I'm only making this for myself and maybe one other person, I cut the recipe back.

1/2c oats
1c water
1c vanilla almond milk
2tbsp brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon

I also threw some dried cherries and some CRAISINS™ in my bowl after the oatmeal was done. This is the way to do it. The cherries are great in it.

This sounds like a great idea and I've been looking for something to throw in the crockpot before bed and wake up to. My morning cereal is both lacking in substance and extremely expensive for what it is (I spend 40 bucks a month on wheat, sugar, and milk :hurr:) Where is the best place to acquire steel cut oats?

Oh also thanks to everyone for the pepper advise. I'm going to be getting pretty S&M about the pepper consumption either tonight or tomorrow. I hope I don't poo poo liquid :ohdear:

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Any one have some amazing deviled egg recipes? I had my first deviled egg at a very old age (25ish) and now I must perfect this delicacy.

Mash yolk with yellow mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, splash of Worcestershire sauce and some turmeric. You should have a mostly yellow finished product that you can then pipe back into the egg halves (or straight in yo mouf).

Sprinkle the tops with smoked paprika as a final touch.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Black Cat posted:

This sounds like a great idea and I've been looking for something to throw in the crockpot before bed and wake up to. My morning cereal is both lacking in substance and extremely expensive for what it is (I spend 40 bucks a month on wheat, sugar, and milk :hurr:) Where is the best place to acquire steel cut oats?

Oh also thanks to everyone for the pepper advise. I'm going to be getting pretty S&M about the pepper consumption either tonight or tomorrow. I hope I don't poo poo liquid :ohdear:

I haven't had any trouble finding various brands of steel cut oats in a regular grocery store.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Black Cat posted:

Yeah, what Doh004 said. I got mine at Target and I've seen them in Kroger.

This is the brand I got. It was like 6 bucks and I've made a few batches and have a ton left.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Quick question:

Got my gf a fondue set for Christmas and she wanted to use some gloucester or asiago (or both together) for a fondue. Any recommendations on liquids or seasonings?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Quick question:

Got my gf a fondue set for Christmas and she wanted to use some gloucester or asiago (or both together) for a fondue. Any recommendations on liquids or seasonings?

I hate to be such an Alton Brown fanboy, but his episode on fondue is pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgeiDgrVZE

Personally I grew up using kirschwasser

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I have a family visit dinner coming up two days from now. I have some braised lamb shoulder steaks with risotto (gremolata's done as well) on the menu so far but have hit a wall thinking of what to offer on the side. The lamb has been braised with white wine and veal stock. The dinner is for two days from now. Figured a good braise will only be helped by some saturation time. And maybe use the fond for the sauce. Pretty much everything I have right now is on the soft side, so I wager something with some bite is best. Any suggestions for a good side offering? Thanks.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Roasted Brussels sprouts. Always a good choice.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bo-Pepper posted:

I have a family visit dinner coming up two days from now. I have some braised lamb shoulder steaks with risotto (gremolata's done as well) on the menu so far but have hit a wall thinking of what to offer on the side. The lamb has been braised with white wine and veal stock. The dinner is for two days from now. Figured a good braise will only be helped by some saturation time. And maybe use the fond for the sauce. Pretty much everything I have right now is on the soft side, so I wager something with some bite is best. Any suggestions for a good side offering? Thanks.

Some kind of bread? Not excessively hard/crunchy, though. Tearing up your gums is the worst.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone here own or have access to a rouet? I'm wondering how thinly they slice

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I just made kimchi for the first time. According to the recipe, it has a shelf life of a month, and I'm supposed to let it sit and ferment "one to seven days." I like it sour, but I'm not sure even I could get through three full, big jars in a month. Should I start eating it tomorrow, after it's been left for technically 1 day, so that I get it all down? Does kimchi actually go bad?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kimchi just gets super sour.

Leave it on the counter if you want it to ferment faster, put it in the fridge to slow it down. I think you'll have more than a month in the fridge. There's no day when it suddenly "goes bad" it just slowly gets more and more sour.

With 3 big jars, yeah might as well start now.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 12, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It does go bad eventually. Fresh kimchi is a thing, you can start eating it immediately. In the fridge it will last months, it'll probably get too sour to eat before it goes bad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IMO, kimchi has a usable period of < 3 days then > 2 weeks. Anything inbetween is weird. In the < 3 days time, you get good crunch, fresh cabbage flavor with the spice and funk, etc. > 2 weeks its sour and the longer you wait, the less it's good for eating as banchan and the better suited it is for cooking in jjigae or fried rice or pajeon or whatever.

I have the remainders of a big batch of kimchi in the fridge from 1 year ago. It's super sour, but still good, great for cooking with.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Thanks, guys, that's awesome news! I don't mind it getting ridiculously sour, and I make kimchi doenjang jigae all the time. I might be able to kill this batch.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Got quite drunk last night, and made some very sloppy mashed potatoes (among other things), that you'll probably all laugh at me for.

Boiled little red potatoes (with skin) in water and the fluid from rehydrating dried morel mushrooms. Then mashed them in a hot mixture of sour cream, heavy cream and butter, plus salt and pepper.

Anyway, any ideas for turning the leftover potatoes into something different? I've never done anything with leftover mashed potatoes other than warm them and eat them... what are my options?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh, and I forgot, shredded jarlsberg, too, in case that makes a difference.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Shepherd's pie! Or bubble and squeak.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Got quite drunk last night, and made some very sloppy mashed potatoes (among other things), that you'll probably all laugh at me for.

Boiled little red potatoes (with skin) in water and the fluid from rehydrating dried morel mushrooms. Then mashed them in a hot mixture of sour cream, heavy cream and butter, plus salt and pepper.

Anyway, any ideas for turning the leftover potatoes into something different? I've never done anything with leftover mashed potatoes other than warm them and eat them... what are my options?

I really like to fry them up for breakfast. Crunchy on the outside and smooth inside. Cayenne pepper and green onions are good additions too.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Bread them, fry them, and make some mashed potato croquettes! If you have a bit of marinara for dipping they'd be especially wonderful.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Oh, and I forgot, shredded jarlsberg, too, in case that makes a difference.

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Random grocery question...if I buy some fish today (salmon, cod, tilapia...I dunno yet), will it be ok to hang out in the fridge and cook tomorrow? Ill be buying it from a grocery store in houston, so it's in no way completely fresh and has been frozen before (I know all fish is frozen on the boat or whatever for parasites).

I swear I remember hearing only buy fish the day you want to cook it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Random grocery question...if I buy some fish today (salmon, cod, tilapia...I dunno yet), will it be ok to hang out in the fridge and cook tomorrow? Ill be buying it from a grocery store in houston, so it's in no way completely fresh and has been frozen before (I know all fish is frozen on the boat or whatever for parasites).

I swear I remember hearing only buy fish the day you want to cook it.

Bring a cooler packed with ice for the trip. If you can buy them frozen (since they're assumed frozen anyway), buy them frozen. Keep them as frozen as you can manage and then thaw in the fridge overnight when you get home and you should be fine.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Drink and Fight posted:

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

Now that sounds like a plan! Have a pound of mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to get eaten, plus some sausage I can mix in. Would topping with a little bread crumbs or panko be a good or bad idea?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

criscodisco posted:

Colcannon. Mix with lightly steamed sliced cabbage, top with grated cheese, bake/grill in the oven until the cheese is golden.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Now that sounds like a plan! Have a pound of mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to get eaten, plus some sausage I can mix in. Would topping with a little bread crumbs or panko be a good or bad idea?

I never have, but try it for science. You can also toss some fresh chopped chives on after baking.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
In my quest for pasta substitutes I found this:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbpasta/r/Zucchini-Pasta.htm

Tried it today with carbonara. It is pretty good!

Edit: next time I'm gonna peel the zucchinis, the skin kinda ruins the pastalike texture.

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 12, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

criscodisco posted:

Melt a little butter, stir it into the panko, and mash it right on top.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I found a recipe for scrapple that I want to make, and one of the ingredients is "roasted cornmeal". Is this a special kind of cornmeal that I can buy or do I literally just roast some cornmeal myself? If so, how do I do it? Just throw cornmeal in a pan and cook it for a bit over low heat?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Any tips on how to break my wife of being a total and complete spoiled brat about food?

She grew up in a household where she was allowed to say "no" to anything she didn't like. It stuck. Perfect example: I asked about smelts in here earlier. I ended up frying them, which produced excellent results. She normally likes fried fish, but said the smelts were "too fishy," whatever the hell that means. She eats catfish and tilapia and they have that earthy flavor to them...sigh...

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Any tips on how to break my wife of being a total and complete spoiled brat about food?

You can't really. She has to want to herself. My mom is the same way and she's like 55. My dad totally caters to her so whenever I cook, it's like I'm trying to get her to eat raw fish eyeballs or something.

Examples: I made lasagna with deer meat which she ate and liked. Then she found out it was deer and not beef and REFUSED to eat it again, or anything else I cooked with deer meat.

My fiance and I were making a dish with anchovies in it, and she commented on how good it smelled. As soon as I told her it was anchovies, she got "grossed out" and refused to try the finished dish.

Some people are just food babies. Whenever my mom comes over I just pick up a rotisserie chicken and some potato salad from Wal-Mart. :sigh:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

razz posted:

I found a recipe for scrapple that I want to make, and one of the ingredients is "roasted cornmeal". Is this a special kind of cornmeal that I can buy or do I literally just roast some cornmeal myself? If so, how do I do it? Just throw cornmeal in a pan and cook it for a bit over low heat?

It is a special kind of cornmeal, but in something like scrapple you can get away with toasting cornmeal or using regular cornmeal without a substantial difference in the flavor. If you want to toast cornmeal, yeah, I'd go with either a low heat on the stovetop or a low heat on a sheet pan in the oven.

The trick is that roasted cornmeal isn't (roasted) (cornmeal), but (roasted corn) (meal). The corn itself is roasted before milling it into meal and gives you all that tasty goodness of roasted corn. Toasting and a pinch of sugar should get you in the ballpark for anything short of grits or cornbread. Or if you want to be lazy, the spices and fats in most scrapple and casseroley things will be taking front stage anyway.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Thanks for the info! I was hoping it was something I could make myself because I already have cornmeal and I'm lazy.

Have you made scrapple before? What are some good seasonings/spices to use? I looked at various recipes and some call for sage, some call for nutmeg, some call for other stuff.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

She grew up in a household where she was allowed to say "no" to anything she didn't like. It stuck. Perfect example: I asked about smelts in here earlier. I ended up frying them, which produced excellent results. She normally likes fried fish, but said the smelts were "too fishy," whatever the hell that means. She eats catfish and tilapia and they have that earthy flavor to them...sigh...

Threaten divorce. Failing that, get a divorce. I'm just kidding, I wish I had advice.

I love my bf, but he's picky about food (mostly stuff that I like a lot, too) and I feel like it's going to drive me crazy eventually.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

razz posted:

You can't really. She has to want to herself. My mom is the same way and she's like 55. My dad totally caters to her so whenever I cook, it's like I'm trying to get her to eat raw fish eyeballs or something.

Examples: I made lasagna with deer meat which she ate and liked. Then she found out it was deer and not beef and REFUSED to eat it again, or anything else I cooked with deer meat.

My fiance and I were making a dish with anchovies in it, and she commented on how good it smelled. As soon as I told her it was anchovies, she got "grossed out" and refused to try the finished dish.

Some people are just food babies. Whenever my mom comes over I just pick up a rotisserie chicken and some potato salad from Wal-Mart. :sigh:

I can occasionally get away with this if I'm crafty. She hates onions; I cook them down until they're unnoticeable but you still get the flavor. :hehe:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

I can occasionally get away with this if I'm crafty. She hates onions; I cook them down until they're unnoticeable but you still get the flavor. :hehe:

I will eat literally everything but onions. I hate onions. My fiance LOVES onions. It's probably the main thing we fight about, haha. One time I told him I would start eating onions if he stopped smoking. So he forced me to eat a grilled piece of onion and I cried. At the dinner table, in front of my parents. He thought it was hilarious. Yes I realize I am a huge baby, but in my defense onions are honestly the only food I refuse to eat. They have the worst texture that triggers my vomit reflex. I want to like them but I can't :(

We've come to an uneasy truce where I will allow onions in whatever he cooks as long as they are big enough pieces that I can pick them out. And yes, he did stop smoking. I guess eventually I'll have to hold up my end of the bargain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

razz posted:

I will eat literally everything but onions. I hate onions. My fiance LOVES onions. It's probably the main thing we fight about, haha. One time I told him I would start eating onions if he stopped smoking. So he forced me to eat a grilled piece of onion and I cried. At the dinner table, in front of my parents. He thought it was hilarious. Yes I realize I am a huge baby, but in my defense onions are honestly the only food I refuse to eat. They have the worst texture that triggers my vomit reflex. I want to like them but I can't :(

We've come to an uneasy truce where I will allow onions in whatever he cooks as long as they are big enough pieces that I can pick them out. And yes, he did stop smoking. I guess eventually I'll have to hold up my end of the bargain!

Same way. The only time I can deal is when I'm making a sauce or soup and using the immersion blender on it. If I can puree it and not taste onion chunks while I'm eating I'm fine. I think it's more of a texture thing for me.