Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah, HIC is both literally black-skinned and talks like Bon Qui Qui. If something like that doesn't clue you in that Hussie is going to broach the topic of race with a blunt hammer swinging indiscriminately, if he ever deigns it necessary to bring it up at all, then I don't know what to say.

It is perfectly alright to groan and roll your eyes at Hussie, but this is neither the first nor the the most potentially offensive trolling he has done, and he will do far more before the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I wonder about the mental state of people itt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

black metal hugbox posted:

I wonder about the mental state of people itt

No need to wonder, we're all loving bugnuts.

And that includes yooooooouuuuuu

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tinaun posted:

I think this post adequately sums up many peoples problem's with this update.

Yeah well that pungoeshere person is wrong, because Hussie wearing a steak coat while farting in a kazoo and tapdancing on a tiger is hilarious and I want to see this scene rendered in SB&HJ style.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

MrBims posted:

Yeah, HIC is both literally black-skinned

What? :psyduck: Do you seriously think she's not drawn in silhouette?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think the entire reaction to this update can be summed up as "Overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreactingetc."

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Color Printer posted:

I think the entire reaction to this update can be summed up as "Overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreacting to overreactingetc."

Repeat ad infinitum, or until the next update.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All I'm seeing is a bunch of people trying to convince a bunch of other people that they're not racist by citing this as an example of something they think is racist and therefore hate. Followed by a bunch of people who think Hussie cannot do anything wrong and feel obligated to defend even his smallest mistakes.

Criticism is fine, criticism of something that involves even vaugely racist overtones always turns into a shitstorm for some sad, strange reason.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 12, 2013

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I love Hussie; he has done a number of things that would typically be awful, stupid ideas (self-insert, 4th wall breaking, pirate slash) and made them hilarious or interesting, so I'm willing to see where this goes, but at the moment I don't find this funny. Why go back into this territory? I don't like that he's maybe doing this just to make a petty swipe at a few readers. I don't think many people cared about race in Homestuck in the first place - as Yaoi Prophet said, another story full of white characters doesn't really stand out and wouldn't have been a big deal. Hussie knew his aracial statement on the kids was bullshit (hence the chatlog editing and un-editing), so what the hell is he trying to prove now? What makes this even stranger is that he already has a bunch of actual aracial characters, the trolls!

I basically agree with this:

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

I thought Hussie's tweet about Trickster Mode making you white was really funny and putting it in the comic absolutely killed the joke. It actually manages to retroactively makes all the previous Tumblr jokes less funny. Is there any way to make this update plot-relevant without being astoundingly racist?

Andrew Hussie should never ever bring up race again ever. He also needs to chill the gently caress out and stop being so defensive.

Remember when Hussie would write pages and pages of stuff in response to minor critisisms on Forumspring? Guy is hella defensive.

On a similar note, I was trying to explain to someone why Hussie's aracial defense was bullshit but I was having trouble. I remember someone (probably several people) wrote a really good response to it but I couldn't find it - does anyone have a link handy?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Color Printer posted:

So basically:

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tinaun posted:

I think this post adequately sums up many peoples problem's with this update.

'Worry about his mental state'?

Are you people loving serious?

It's a god:drat: web comic.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Strangepants posted:

On a similar note, I was trying to explain to someone why Hussie's aracial defense was bullshit but I was having trouble. I remember someone (probably several people) wrote a really good response to it but I couldn't find it - does anyone have a link handy?

Well, a start would be that he un-edited the race references (Bro being called white, the ectobiology babies being pink) after a while, and the print versions contain them, too.

Zaltys
Jun 24, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Personally, I just think and hope that Hussie's going somewhere with all of this. I mean I'm sure he is, because he always is, but currently it just makes him look like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.
Maybe he's no longer running the show.
Garish rainbow patterns, candy, dialogue about kisses and marriage? Some of it was straight from the game that Caliborn played with Dirk.

Hussie died. So who's writing Homestuck now?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Zaltys posted:

Hussie died. So who's writing Homestuck now?

Li'l Cal.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I always saw the aracial fiasco as more of a "I see them this way but you can do whatever the gently caress you guys want" kind of thing.
The important thing is that he was saying the kids could imagined by fans as any race (or hight and weight) they wanted.
He handled it terribly but the important thing was saying that the fans were free to think for themselves and shouldn't always worry about being restricted by what Hussie writes.
Yes, he has said they're white but he's also said that that doesn't mean we aren't free to think otherwise.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man this fandom is weird sometimes. "Oh man, Jane went Trickster in actual canon storyline, this is going to be hilarious!" NOPE let's have a racial shitstorm instead.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Popo posted:

I always saw the aracial fiasco as more of a "I see them this way but you can do whatever the gently caress you guys want" kind of thing.
The important thing is that he was saying the kids could imagined by fans as any race (or hight and weight) they wanted.
He handled it terribly but the important thing was saying that the fans were free to think for themselves and shouldn't always worry about being restricted by what Hussie writes.
Yes, he has said they're white but he's also said that that doesn't mean we aren't free to think otherwise.

"They could be any race too. Note that I am caucasian, and I draw myself orange. I don’t see no orange kids there! Can’t really pin them down as definitively white, though this is likely the widespread presumption. They are canonically a-racial, and elude concrete bodily proportions through diversity of stylistic representation." (link)

"If you think I’m being disingenuous and pulling this a-racial thing out of nowhere, this is what I’ve always said since the beginning. People wondered about race, and I said the answer was N/A. These are templatized characters, and while many aspects of the comic are vibrantly colored, their skin tone is religiously left blank. Blank not as in white, per se, but as non-affiliated, as if they were lifted from a coloring book. It is this way because abstraction rules this universe absolutely. Abstraction rules their identities, the way they’re named, the qualities of their guardians, the way they pick up objects, the way they engage in dialogue, and everything about the game they play." (link)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Can you throw in something by you because otherwise I have no idea what you mean. Are you saying that Hussie is confirming the aracialness? Are you saying I'm misinterpreting him? What?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My take is that if the gag of the update really is "Yeah I guess she's white (at the moment), deal with it SJWs", then this line from those posts just retroactively became complete bullshit:

quote:

And to actually get indignant at the suggestion that race is canonically non-applicable, because you think it’s JUST SO OBVIOUS all these kids are white? That’s the ugliness of bigotry surfacing.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I haven't really seen anyone freaking out about this outside of this thread, but I try to avoid most of Tumblr. In any case, 6l99dm9uth-cali69rn has a nice response to this whole deal on his blog. The gist of it, for those of you who'd rather not deal with Tumblr, was that Hussie asserted the kids were aracial despite the fact that he (at least originally) saw them as White or Asian. This was in order to try to shut up the assholes who were whining about people drawing or cosplaying the kids as PoC. Of course this meant there were still offhand remarks left in the earlier chapters that alluded to the kids' whiteness. Additionally, Trickster Mode was originally from a fan-made sprite edit that showed John with obviously caucasian skin. When Hussie finally put Trickster Mode into the story proper he gave Jane that same skin tone, and rather than ignore it he explicitly called it out in story, while simultaneously turning it into a joke and leaving open Jane's original ethnicity.

Do I think Hussie handled this whole thing in the best way or even remotely well? Probably not, but I don't think this update came from the place and had the same purpose everyone here seems to think it does.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
can the thread please go back to bashing on jake

please

why is everyone freaking out

stop

just

just

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

McStephenson posted:

why is everyone freaking out

Nobody is really freaking out though. There's hasn't been much of any backlash on Tumblr, on the contrary "Caucasian" is the new catch-phrase. Even the discussion here has been pretty coherent about it. Yeah race relations is a pretty crappy topic at the best of times but we'll move on once we get some new material.

Personally, I'm hoping Hussie is actually going somewhere with this. It'd be weird for him to drop the "aracial" thing so dramatically for a one-page, kinda dumb gag.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Popo posted:

saying that being unable to smell isn't a real disability

Well it isn't, sense of smell is useless. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish Andrew had just made her skin a lovely inhuman shade of blue that no one would interpret as any race and could then also play off of Jake's attraction to blue skinned ladies and have jokes along those lines.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Call Now posted:

Well it isn't, sense of smell is useless. :colbert:

You like tasting things? Thank smell.

You like not dying to toxic fumes? Smell tells you they're there, so you can abscond the gently caress out of them.

Smells are three times more effective at triggering memories than sights or sounds.

So no, smell is not useless.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Homestuck has the best nut shots. This means a lot coming from me, an avid connoisseur of nut shots.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Did anyone else notice that Jake is sparkling in that last page?

I wonder if a nutshot is enough to induce trickster mode.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

of bees posted:

Did anyone else notice that Jake is sparkling in that last page?

I wonder if a nutshot is enough to induce trickster mode.

I thought that was implied with his "Nooooooooooooooo" turning into a rainbow flashing "Yesssssssssss".

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I thought that was implied with his "Nooooooooooooooo" turning into a rainbow flashing "Yesssssssssss".

For some reason I thought that was Jane yelling that as Jake yelled nooooooooooo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ablative posted:

You like not dying to toxic fumes? Smell tells you they're there, so you can abscond the gently caress out of them.

Carbon-monoxide and natural gas are both odorless, and so are lots of other toxic fumes. Nice try, bro, but smell sucks.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

:downs: Oh tumblr, tumblr, let's take a look at my tumblr da-

"On the subject of the recent updates: how terrible is it, also, that just when Jane becomes CANONICALLY WHITE she also gets the Confidence She's Always Needed to confess to her crush and also kick him in the balls for being a jerk? Ugh."

Oh tumblr, tumblr, let's walk away from my tumblr dash... :downsgun:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I think I'm just going to start saying #ffffff when the topic of race comes up in this comic from here out.

Unless referring to trolls or cherubs, in which case, anyone want to take a crack at figuring out the numbers for them?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

of bees posted:

For some reason I thought that was Jane yelling that as Jake yelled nooooooooooo.

I thought this too, but only because I read it as a call-back-that's-probably-not-really-a-callback to one of my favorite incidental details, Nepeta's caption on the Karkat<3Nepeta cell on the shipping wall.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ablative posted:

I think I'm just going to start saying #ffffff when the topic of race comes up in this comic from here out.

Unless referring to trolls or cherubs, in which case, anyone want to take a crack at figuring out the numbers for them?

By referring to trolls in general, you contributed to the erasure of both the ancestors (whose skin-colour has been ambiguous since their first appearance) and Gamzee Makara, whose makeup leaves open the possibility that he does not wish to identify as dermotypical. You also slighted transgreaser Cronus, but I can't even get fake-mad about that.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Freudian posted:

By referring to trolls in general, you contributed to the erasure of both the ancestors (whose skin-colour has been ambiguous since their first appearance) and Gamzee Makara, whose makeup leaves open the possibility that he does not wish to identify as dermotypical. You also slighted transgreaser Cronus, but I can't even get fake-mad about that.

Well if you like, I could refer to them by blood color instead.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ablative posted:

Well if you like, I could refer to them by blood color instead.

That would be severely problematic.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

To get away from caucasian-chat for a second, the mspa front page updated on the 9th saying that most of the kickstarter gifts were either delivered or in transit. I haven't gotten so much as a notification for mine yet, anyone else in the same boat? I just want to know if I should bother shooting whatpumpkin an email or not.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I haven't heard a peep from them yet.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

You might want to check with them, just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Me neither.