Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, RS Taichi is a good option. I've tried on a ton of different Dainese jackets but could never find one that fit properly. If you do go Dai, just know that their sizing is way off. Depends on the model of course, but in general it is not accurate. At one point I tried on a 34 that was big on me (I wear a 36 jacket/38 suit in Alpinestars).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

M42 posted:

Someone's selling a women's revit ignition 1 (the older version) jacket near me,

Hell yeah. I went to get this today and it's awesome. A bit roomy without the two inserts but that's not really a problem imo.

The oem back protector is pitiful as usual, but I'll be replacing it. I was thinking one of the fancy ones with straps instead of an insert--are they worth the extra money? I like the knox aegis, but it's $150 which effectively negates the money I saved getting the jacket off CL. Plaid pyjamas 24/7.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Super duper back protectors are of arguable utility for street riding. I've got a Dainese Wave replacing the back protector in my Olympia jacket, and I think it strikes a nice balance between convenient and overboard.

For $150, you could get an entire Thor Impact Rig to wear under your jacket.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The jacket's already got nice CE elbow armor, and I don't think my arms would fit in the sleeves if I was wearing something like that (I was looking at the A* bionic suit before). You've got a point, though. What's the goon consensus on sas-tec back protectors?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The problem with the strap type is theyre annoying to wear on the street, as theyre sort of awkward and annoying to wear. I'd look for a replacement insert with more umph to it. Dianese makes a nice one at a reasonable price (shocker for dianese). Check it out at the d-store in SF.

Also hell yeah plaid pyjamas. I stayed home sick from work today and rocked them alllll day.

Wrt to sas tec...anything that passes CE level 2 is excellent gear.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2013

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Yeah, just get one that you can stick in your jacket. My jacket's PO put a Knox protector in it and that thing feels like it could stop a bullet. If the sas-tec is the next step up, then go for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The idea of sliding back first into a lamp post or similar spine cracker removes all doubt for me - full ninja turtle shell every time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got a Sedici Como tank bag from some of the exchange credit for my old boots. I know Sedici is CG's brand, but it's good for the money, and the quality is defnitely better than any BILT poo poo out there.
The rigid design is nice. The front pocket fits my wallet with a little room to spare. The phone pocket is useless for modern phones, but I've found that to be the case with most moto gear these days. It's perfect for my badges and ferry pass, though. I can fit my Kindle Fire (7"), phone, headphones and spare gloves or balaclava in there no problem.
The inside seems to have a rain-resistant liner, too, which is nice. I've hit some rain without the cover on it a few times, and everything inside stayed nice & dry.
I'd say it's worth the $40 price tag.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I know Sedici gets bashed a lot, but my Sedici gloves have about 1.5 years of use and despite needing a small stitch repair on the gauntlet, are still going strong. Plus, lifetime warranty means if they do break, I can always get another pair. :sun:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Anyone got one of these or know someone that does? for all its kevlar-ness i cant imagine it'd do anything other than ride up in a crash and expose your midriff for it to be grated by the road surface.
looks like its be way handier than a bulky jacket in the summer though
http://www.gogogearla.com/armored-kevlar-hoodie-mens/

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ola posted:

The idea of sliding back first into a lamp post or similar spine cracker removes all doubt for me - full ninja turtle shell every time.

That's kinda my feeling too, especially with the last batch of posts in the crash thread. I'll try some on at an actual store to see how they feel.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I have dainese back protectors because as z3n said they are actually reasonably priced for the quality you're getting. I have couple of the insert types that go into the jacket and got the one that you wear under your jacket with straps and velcro though I forget what it is called. The larger one definitely makes me feel safer, but not sure how much good it will really do in a serious crash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apparently the injuries that snap your spine are more twisting/wrenching than straight-on impacts. I don't have any figures but I also would imagine that, because of the way you're facing on a motorcycle, it's uncommon to hit something back-first. More protection isn't going to hurt, though.

I think it's important to realize that while good gear mitigates a lot of risk, the best thing you can do to keep yourself alive (besides wearing a helmet) is to make smart riding choices. Motorcycling is probably the most dangerous mode of transportation out there, in terms of miles traveled:injury rate; if you want to be as safe as possible, drive a car. If you are getting on a bike, the thing that you rely on to save your life should be first and foremost your brain and your eyes.

Not that I am in any way suggesting that you shouldn't wear all the gear you can afford -- it absolutely reduces injury rates if you do crash and can save your life in some situations, too. But when you look at the statistics, the three leading (by an enormous margin) causes of death on a motorcycle are (1) cars merging into you or cutting you off turning left, (2) speeding and going wide on a curve and (3) being drunk. All three of those risks can be drastically decreased just by being smart, keeping your eyes open and riding within your limits, and constantly being aware of the cars around you. "Ride like you're invisible but not invincible", my dad's friend told me when I got my bike -- and he's navigated over forty years of riding on dozens of different bikes with no crashes requiring hospitalization.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually on further contemplation I believe the most dangerous mode of transportation in terms of miles traveled to number of injuries is probably rodeo bull-riding.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Actually on further contemplation I believe the most dangerous mode of transportation in terms of miles traveled to number of injuries is probably rodeo bull-riding.

Well if they took those vices off the bulls' balls they'd get a lot farther.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Nope

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wonder if that kid works for a living or is just able to live off the awesomeness of riding a flying crododile.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's no kid, that's a man. That's Ace Rimmer.

What a guy...

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

echomadman posted:

Anyone got one of these or know someone that does? for all its kevlar-ness i cant imagine it'd do anything other than ride up in a crash and expose your midriff for it to be grated by the road surface.

Would love to hear anything about this, there's a local shop that sells them too so I might be interested.

Has anyone worn BOHN armor, either the pants or the shirts? http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/searchnow.php?pg=1&cat=ts1&stext=Bodyguard

if so is it hot as poo poo to wear?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't generally use my Dainese back protector, but when I know I'm going out for a full day + I'll put it on, mainly because the big wide belly strap acts as sort of a comfy corset and the back protector itself helps keep good posture, so on a long ride it's actually more comfortable with than without. You can almost use the back protector as a sort of back rest. For a short 10 mile commute, the hassle becomes less than worth it, however.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

echomadman posted:

I know some people that own it and other GoGoGear stuff and they seem to have nothing but praises, but I haven't gotten a chance to handle the hoodie yet. I keep eyeing the hoodie but until I can try one on in person I can't bring myself to take the risk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Linedance posted:

I don't generally use my Dainese back protector, but when I know I'm going out for a full day + I'll put it on, mainly because the big wide belly strap acts as sort of a comfy corset and the back protector itself helps keep good posture, so on a long ride it's actually more comfortable with than without. You can almost use the back protector as a sort of back rest. For a short 10 mile commute, the hassle becomes less than worth it, however.

I wear my Alpinestars Bionic Race Shield every single time I ride, it's just habit now. Super comfortable.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I know some people that own it and other GoGoGear stuff and they seem to have nothing but praises, but I haven't gotten a chance to handle the hoodie yet. I keep eyeing the hoodie but until I can try one on in person I can't bring myself to take the risk.

If you do get a chance to try one remember to post back here about it.
Its a pity they don't make a non-zip version, the zip seems like a potential weak spot/way for wind&rain to get in.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

echomadman posted:

If you do get a chance to try one remember to post back here about it.
Its a pity they don't make a non-zip version, the zip seems like a potential weak spot/way for wind&rain to get in.

I've worn zip up hoodies at highway speeds before and actually had the wind pull the zipper down by getting into the hoodie and forcing the two sides apart...now this was an old hoody with a hosed up zipper but I wasn't a huge fan of all the sudden having superman's cape trailing behind me at 70mph and wouldn't want to try it again.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Pro tip: For Scorpion helmets, at least, the padding in the cheek pads comes out very easily and is constructed of multiple foam layers. You can remove one or two layers very easily (they're only lightly glued together) to reduce the overall thickness, instead of buying replacement pads of smaller thicknesses.

Also, Bilt brand jackets (in-house brand by Cycle Gear) have terrible loving zippers. Mine broke literally the first time I zipped it up. At least the return was pain free.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Safety Dance posted:

For $150, you could get an entire Thor Impact Rig to wear under your jacket.

What's the opinion on this, under a jersey or whatever for dirt/trail riding? Is it overkill?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Has anyone tried the Bell Vortex/Star helmets with the SolFX transitions faceshield on it? I'm not really hurting for a new helmet right away but I commute to work in the day and come home at night and just use a tinted one for my commute, but i'm tempted to just go for it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My 2-3 year old Arai seems to have lost it's "seal" around the visor. It used to eliminate a lot of the wind when closed and almost all of it when latched, now it seems to let a fair amount through either way. Is there a way to replace or somehow make the gasket around the visor seal better again?

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

infraboy posted:

Has anyone tried the Bell Vortex/Star helmets with the SolFX transitions faceshield on it? I'm not really hurting for a new helmet right away but I commute to work in the day and come home at night and just use a tinted one for my commute, but i'm tempted to just go for it.

I used the Bell Star with the transitions faceshield and it was my favorite thing about that helmet. Works great.

I would have bought another Bell Star after mine was damaged but the fit was never quite right for me. If it was it would have easily been my favorite helmet that I've owned.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

infraboy posted:

My uncle has a star with that face shield. He has an injury in one of his eyes that prevents it from dilating or contracting and absolutely won't ride without it, he says it gives a perfect amount of light almost all the time. I tried it and concur.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

My 2-3 year old Arai seems to have lost it's "seal" around the visor. It used to eliminate a lot of the wind when closed and almost all of it when latched, now it seems to let a fair amount through either way. Is there a way to replace or somehow make the gasket around the visor seal better again?
My Arai came with a small bottle of silicone lubricant and an instruction from the seller to rub some of it along the seal every now and then, otherwise it would dry out. I thought it sounded silly at the time, but maybe that's the issue? v:shobon:v

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

You most likely need to adjust your baseplates. Here's a video that shows how to do it on an Arai.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

infraboy posted:

I have the Bell Star, and I absolutely love it. I've considered the transitions shield, too, but it's just so drat pricey. So far I've just stuck to swapping a dark smoke and clear visor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

-Inu- posted:

You most likely need to adjust your baseplates. Here's a video that shows how to do it on an Arai.
Yay I might not have to buy new parts, thanks for the video.

Since I'm in here my old craigslist find Sidi commuting boots have decided they no longer want to be water resistant. Yesterday morning rode to work in the rain, dry feet. Yesterday afternoon rode home in slightly lighter rain, feet soaked and same thing this morning. Is there a spray or wax I can rub into the toe of the boot to at least reduce how much water gets in?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This costs $250 :pwn:

Bell Helmets posted:

Bell Rogue
BUILT BELL TOUGH. INNOVATIVE MUZZLE.
Purpose built to guard against the elements, the new Rogue has the look of a half helmet with the comfort of a 3/4. Featuring an adjustable and removable muzzle, the Rogue offers an innovative solution for exceptional rider comfort. Add in a lightweight composite shell and ultra-comfortable interior, and you've got the perfect weapon for a day on the road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

This costs $250 :pwn:

Eh, looks cooler than a full face on a cruiser and provides better protection than a 20 dollar brain bucket or no helmet, the other two primary options.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm just confused as to why it's $250. It's a brain bucket with a built-in face mask.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm just confused as to why it's $250. It's a brain bucket with a built-in face mask.

The 4 letter word written on the side.

I hate to admit it, but in a year or so when they go on 50% off clearance, I might buy one, would look a hell of a lot better than a full face on a cafe/rat bike.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Really? Bell full face usually run $150-200 from what I've seen. The brand doesn't really scream "expensive" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Really? Bell full face usually run $150-200 from what I've seen. The brand doesn't really scream "expensive" to me.

They've got an entry level line and a "pro" line that runs from 600 bucks and up. I'm probably more used to their automotive helmets, which certainly aren't cheap.