Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah man, having to declare your vars is so bad.

you can declare variables in python

Python code:
x = 5
hey look at that, now there is a variable called x, its an int, and its value is 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

ratbert90 posted:

Oh look at me, i'm python, I have to be formatted properly to work? Is your tabs wrong? Can't write lovely looking code that looks like this?
code:
int i;int j;int main (void){while ((scanf("%i", &j)))for (i = j; i >= 0; i-- {usleep(1000000);printf("%i\n", i);}return 0;}
WELL gently caress YOU!

Oh whats that? You don't have to declare anything? Why sure! Come on in spelling mistakes.

Python is a pretty terrible language for a multitude of reasons. Those two being the biggest.

maybe your problem is too many capital letters

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jerry SanDisky posted:

you can declare variables in python

Python code:
x = 5
hey look at that, now there is a variable called x, its an int, and its value is 5

But you don't have to, so spelling mistakes can be made easily. Good try.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah man, having to declare your vars is so bad.
*edit* I don't write code like my example in one single lines. That's dumb and people are dumb if they do that. However tabs and styling are usually slightly different among people. :colbert:

So you're saying your code would actually compile?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like to use strict on all my subs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FamDav posted:

So you're saying your code would actually compile?

:confused: That code I posted other than #include <stdio.h> and #include <unistd.h> would compile just fine.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

:*

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

code:
int i;int j;int main (void){while ((scanf("%i", &j)))for (i = j; i >= 0; i-- {usleep(1000000);printf("%i\n", i);}return 0;}

maybe you should indent it and find out

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

oh my god are you for real

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FamDav posted:

maybe you should indent it and find out

well look at me dropping a parenthesis.
:suicide:

Jerry SanDisky posted:

oh my god are you for real

How am I wrong?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

How am I wrong?

every modern editor will do the same spell checking and reference checking for python that it does for languages like c

if you're losing productivity in a language because you're a literal retard who can't spell, then thats not the languages fault

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

quote:

But you don't have to
also this is objectively wrong. you have to declare variables before using them. that is orthogonal to the issue of you being a bad speller

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jerry SanDisky posted:

every modern editor will do the same spell checking and reference checking for python that it does for languages like c

if you're losing productivity in a language because you're a literal retard who can't spell, then thats not the languages fault

Good to know. I use VIM or eclipse, and haven't used python in a long time. I still don't like having to have the formatting their way though. :smith:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

However tabs and styling are usually slightly different among people. :colbert:
they shouldn't be, and you shouldn't justify bad languages based on their ability to ignore your social problems

ratbert90 posted:

don't reassign variables and use shorter methods, forced declarations are a crutch for bad programmers to write bad programs

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ratbert90 posted:

Good to know. I use VIM or eclipse, and haven't used python in a long time. I still don't like having to have the formatting their way though. :smith:

python is gay but you're a whole lot gayer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they shouldn't be, and you shouldn't justify bad languages based on their ability to ignore your social problems
They shouldn't be, but they can be. Wherever you put your { or ( shouldn't really matter.

quote:

don't reassign variables and use shorter methods, forced declarations are a crutch for bad programmers to write bad programs

forced declarations are just fine and they aren't a bad thing.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ratbert90 posted:

why don't you cry about it some more and maybe wet yourself you literal baby

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

sure python's a great language but what i really want is more time-wasting bikeshed arguments about code style!!!!!!!

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
unironically saying forced styling is bad
smdh

at least argue against python for not having real encapsulation or something real like real

sounds like someone failed python 101

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
laffo
gj

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
yeah name mangling as encapsulation is pretty bad

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MeruFM posted:

unironically saying forced styling is bad
smdh

at least argue against python for not having real encapsulation or something real like real

sounds like someone failed python 101

Someone messes with memory registers all day.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

ratbert90 posted:

forced declarations are just fine and they aren't a bad thing.

yes they are. there is no reason you should ever have to declare a variable

also lol at the stockholm syndrome sufferers who like python formatting

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

have we finally come full circle in this thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yes they are. there is no reason you should ever have to declare a variable

I'm just used to it. It takes all of 3 seconds to type int i; and if it means I get to actually use a programming language that can shift bits and mess with GPIO pins/memory registers, then that's a-ok with me. :unsmith:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

I'm just used to it. It takes all of 3 seconds to type int i; and if it means I get to actually use a programming language that can shift bits and mess with GPIO pins/memory registers, then that's a-ok with me. :unsmith:

well have fun blaming your tools i guess

it's not like there's any way to check for undefined variables or anything

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

do that in a c extension

alternate hard and soft layers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yo ratbert have you heard of c99 its p cool you should try it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

oh hey surprise it's a low-level programmer, who thinks that just because they only program lovely computers that are a pain in the rear end to program they're opinions matter

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

How did you break into my computer

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

depression is a poo poo disease/condition/whatever and if he killed himself he must've had it pretty bad

no it is the fault of the doj for charging him with crimes he committed and literally murdering him

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

oh hey surprise it's a low-level programmer, who thinks that just because they only program lovely computers that are a pain in the rear end to program they're opinions matter

Oh look it's somebody who probably uses the heap.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
use strict;
use warnings;
4 lyfe

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Oh look it's somebody who probably uses the heap.

for storing you're posts

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
ok get your wishlists in, we're going crowdsource yplpos now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey TBC would you consent to treatment at a hospital knowing that all the equipment is programmed in php

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol at being mad at python because you can't use your ~~unique handcrafted formatting~~

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
someone find a guy who codes with spaces only before commas so we can laugh at him

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what's worse, being a hipster code stylist or being one of the coders he successfully intimidates from working on his project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Zombywuf posted:

That's the co-pilot who's pulling back on the stick during a stall. The other co-pilot is pushing forward because he apparently went to pilot school. The complete lack of feedback in the system is a major cause of the failure here. Everyone was confused because the plane wasn't coming out of the stall, they weren't confused about the fact that the plane was stalling.

the thing that confuses me is it says at one part of the article that the controls of the two pilots are averaged together. why would you ever design a plane like that!?