Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Spiffness posted:

And both beemers broke their frames

I thought losing either a frame or a swingarm would be a proper write-off, I'll need to watch this at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

I want my 47 seconds back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think my favorite part is how the weird flaky cameraman breaks his bike and has to buy a rickety little IZH 2-stroke, which then proves to be way more capable and just bounces happily along in the Mongolian steppes or whatever while the heavily loaded BMWs are constantly getting stuck in the mud.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nope, just get it rewelded by some random guy in a open air market and then destroy the abs system because you didnt disconnect the battery!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I liked Long Way Round and thought Charley was the best part. :colbert:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Stugazi posted:

I liked Long Way Round and thought Charley was the best part. :colbert:

Ya, at least he didn't get gasoline in his eyes every time they stopped to refuel. WTF.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I always fuel with my visor shut just because of Ewan.

Fat white guy doing a stoppie in front of a black guy flashing gang signs.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

I think my favorite part is how the weird flaky cameraman breaks his bike and has to buy a rickety little IZH 2-stroke, which then proves to be way more capable and just bounces happily along in the Mongolian steppes or whatever while the heavily loaded BMWs are constantly getting stuck in the mud.

That camera dude was the best part of lwr, for sure. I might have to rewatch it just for that dude alone. But then I have to listen to charlie again. Ugh, forget it.

Z3n posted:

Nope, just get it rewelded by some random guy in a open air market and then destroy the abs system because you didnt disconnect the battery!

I'm loving amazed they didn't have a new beemer airtlifted in. They had the funds for it, anyway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hayden. posted:

I always fuel with my visor shut just because of Ewan.

Fat white guy doing a stoppie in front of a black guy flashing gang signs.

Me too, actually. One of my riding neurosis. I'd forgotten where it came from until you said that.

Meanwhile: The internet and gopros are awesome. I was poking thru maps looking for roads to hit up this year in Daniel Boone Forest and I went to youtube to search for some. The first one pulls up some alright video of a cruiser plopping along, it looked pretty good. The second one came up with this video, a guy on a VFR doing a decent pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pa3ld-Aigg

Don't expect anything amazing out of the video, it's just a dude riding a road, but it's still amazing to me that I can do all of this on a computer. Find a road and see it run at a decent pace with about 15 minutes of effort.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Me too, actually. One of my riding neurosis. I'd forgotten where it came from until you said that.

Meanwhile: The internet and gopros are awesome. I was poking thru maps looking for roads to hit up this year in Daniel Boone Forest and I went to youtube to search for some. The first one pulls up some alright video of a cruiser plopping along, it looked pretty good. The second one came up with this video, a guy on a VFR doing a decent pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pa3ld-Aigg

Don't expect anything amazing out of the video, it's just a dude riding a road, but it's still amazing to me that I can do all of this on a computer. Find a road and see it run at a decent pace with about 15 minutes of effort.

I just tested this theory by searching on youtube for a country road very dear to my heart about 20km out of town and, sure enough, someone has repeatedly ridden it with a gopro. I don't feel special anymore :(

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Backov posted:

Ya, at least he didn't get gasoline in his eyes every time they stopped to refuel. WTF.

I take my helmet off, and recently dropped my wee facewarmer thing on the petrol station ground. Now if I take a deep breath in it I get the smell of petrol, it's glorious! and almost certainly causing brain damage.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

I just tested this theory by searching on youtube for a country road very dear to my heart about 20km out of town and, sure enough, someone has repeatedly ridden it with a gopro. I don't feel special anymore :(

It's happy, not sad! Happy that people enjoy the same roads you do, and encouragement for you to find some roads that aren't on youtube yet. :)

I've been recording some roads around where I live and putting them up. Some of them already have videos and some of them are small, but who knows? That one guy on 587 was probably putting the video up for shits and giggles and I ended up benefiting from it. I'm no Ewan McGregor but if one person appreciates it the same way it's worth it to me, go youtube.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

I'm no Ewan McGregor but if one person appreciates it the same way it's worth it to me, go youtube.

Long Way to 7-11, with nsaP

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Haha speaking of long way to 7-11 where did that one guy go with the motovlog where he went and got taahhhhhccooos?

Content:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are you thinking of Wrong Way Round?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xorQyl121I

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's also Dumb Way Round, where two insane norwegians went around the world on 70-year old Danish sidecar motorcycles. Also known as The King Croesus Contempt for Death trip 2009 :black101:

Click for link

Crazy crazy people.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 13, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Here, have an idiot going way too quick for the conditions and road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSLe7z-5Fg

M42
Nov 12, 2012

At least he knows what he did wrong, unlike that complete idiot posted a while back who ate poo poo and is refusing to change any of his lovely habits because "I ride fast and will continue doing so lol"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

At least he knows what he did wrong, unlike that complete idiot posted a while back who ate poo poo and is refusing to change any of his lovely habits because "I ride fast and will continue doing so lol"

I love how it looks like a slip-n-slide.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:stare: yeah, that's, uh...wow. Way too fast for the amount of water on the road. But at the same time, he must have just clamped right down on the brakes or something, because like 1 second after the car comes into view he's already sliding on his hands and knees. Hard to judge distances with the lens distortion, but I bet he could have kept it together with more gentle braking and maybe a (admittedly dangerous) swerve into the opposite lane.

e: his gloves stood up to that amazingly well. I guess rain making the roads slippery has at least one advantage?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2013

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Didn't that other idiot say something along the lines of "I live how I ride, bro: FAST" or some Vin Diesel-esque nonsense?

Here's some stuff from my shop about a month ago:
'31 Matchless X with Brough Superior sidecar

M42
Nov 12, 2012

red19fire posted:

Didn't that other idiot say something along the lines of "I live how I ride, bro: FAST" or some Vin Diesel-esque nonsense?

Said this dumb poo poo: "12-7-10 till 11-24-12 Almost two years old. Hit the ditch, shot across two lanes, a car turn out and down a 35+ foot cliff. This is how I ride. Fast. Been doing it for a long time and never crashed. This was my first crash ever. Please don't give me poo poo." :rolleyes:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

M42 posted:

Said this dumb poo poo: "12-7-10 till 11-24-12 Almost two years old. Hit the ditch, shot across two lanes, a car turn out and down a 35+ foot cliff. This is how I ride. Fast. Been doing it for a long time and never crashed. This was my first crash ever. Please don't give me poo poo." :rolleyes:

Hey, he lives his life a quarter mile at a time, don't give him poo poo!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He did ask nicely not to give him poo poo, though

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He did ask nicely not to give him poo poo, though

Mootmoot should have taken that course of action.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Cross post from Dirt riders thread. Last weekend crash/fall over compilation. First loop through was fine. This was second loop through wtf. Bob's fall(blue yamaha 230) was caused due to him hitting barb wire. Glad it didn't wrap up in his front wheel. His second fall right after that though was all his fault, trying to straighten his front wheel and whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vGX5rXUE-8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there something wrong with your camera? It seems to be skipping and jerking quite a lot. I'd expect that from one of the little cheapy chinese keychain cameras but you say it's a GoPro? Weird.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Sagebrush posted:

Is there something wrong with your camera? It seems to be skipping and jerking quite a lot. I'd expect that from one of the little cheapy chinese keychain cameras but you say it's a GoPro? Weird.

Sorry it's the very first go pro they made, so it sucks. Hoping to upgrade soon to a Hero3 either Black or Silver. Especially because using double A batteries on this one gives me about 30 min record time. :mad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Oh god, my eyes. If that video came from GoPros then something is very wrong somewhere.

EDIT: Wow, poo poo, ok then. GoPro have come a LONG way.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Oh god, my eyes. If that video came from GoPros then something is very wrong somewhere.

EDIT: Wow, poo poo, ok then. GoPro have come a LONG way.

Still better than the first gen Contours, if you can believe it

That guys gloves held up extremely well. Silly crash though. Even at those speeds he had lots of options for braking properly or swerve avoidance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver posted:

Sorry it's the very first go pro they made, so it sucks. Hoping to upgrade soon to a Hero3 either Black or Silver. Especially because using double A batteries on this one gives me about 30 min record time. :mad:

Wow, you were quite the early adopter. I didn't even know they made one that took AAA batteries. Looked it up, and did you know their first camera shot on 35mm film? I didn't.

Definitely get a hero3! I am quite happy with mine. Here's a shot from the other day, screen capture from the video, no editing or sharpening or anything other than scaling down 50%:

Battery life still sucks though. With the internal unit you're only going to get 60 to 90 minutes of filming, though you can get the little external bacpak that doubles it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Battery life still sucks though. With the internal unit you're only going to get 60 to 90 minutes of filming, though you can get the little external bacpak that doubles it.

Here is what I did, quite simple:

Assuming you have a battery tender lead on your bike (or you can order ones that go straight to the battery), buy a tender to USB tether.

String that where you attach your go pro.

Drill out, or get the go-pro case where the sides are exposed. Run the GoPro tethered to the bike via USB cable so it is always charging = Basically unlimited video recording.

I also ran microphones on my track bike that went back to my go-pros so I could record sound from different locations on the bike, packed in some foam I found from work. This solved me running out of juice on track days, and worked brilliantly. If you do any regular recording, I highly recommend it if you mount the camera on the bike anywhere. To your helmet, yeah, just have to be more careful about life. Though I did have days where I'd run on the helmet, drain the battery a bit, then run a bit on the bike to charge it back up. Simple.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Hmm, I just got my hero3 yesterday (finally places have stock in Australia!), looking forward to giving it a go. Got it set up with the iPhone app and had a play around yesterday. Less than 2 hours battery life would be disappointing though, I've become accustomed to getting 2 hours out of my HeroHD and Hero2...

What are your settings when you get 60-90 mins? Also is it cold where you are?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1080p30, a little bit of wi-fi at the beginning, about 7-10 degrees celsius plus the camera is stuck out in the wind at 50-100km/h. It's quite chilly when I take it out of the case.

The battery life seems to be improving, if anything, so maybe the thing calibrates itself after you take it out of the box? I've only gone through four or five full discharges. Apparently low battery life is just a thing with these cameras though, based on what I've read.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

1080p30, a little bit of wi-fi at the beginning, about 7-10 degrees celsius plus the camera is stuck out in the wind at 50-100km/h. It's quite chilly when I take it out of the case.

The battery life seems to be improving, if anything, so maybe the thing calibrates itself after you take it out of the box? I've only gone through four or five full discharges. Apparently low battery life is just a thing with these cameras though, based on what I've read.

Batteries need to be cycled a handful of times before they reach their full capacity so that's not too strange. If the camera is quite cold when you take it out of the case then that could also be hampering battery life as batteries work better when warm.

Hopefully short battery life is only a thing because the camera was launched in the colder months of the year in the US and not many people have experienced any different with it yet. Though on the Hero2 they added a battery warmer to the feature list (AKA using the heat from the sensor to keep the battery warm I think) so I wonder if that part of the design has been retained...

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

M42 posted:

Went looking for the video and it's private - did anyone get a copy of it?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Wootcannon posted:

Went looking for the video and it's private - did anyone get a copy of it?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f48_1354735527

Ugh gently caress phones

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Silver posted:

Nice Honda, bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did this guy just sort of not bother judging how sharp the corner was, then understeer into the ditch? Or is the camera making it seem that way.