Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EightBit posted:

Is that a lawnmower plug? It doesn't exactly look like it belongs there.

I hope you are being sarcastic, but the plug got mashed by the piston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I assume he's talking about the fact that it's a visually different plug, with bronze/gold colored stuff on it. I think they just are cheap and mixed brands of plugs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Is that a lawnmower plug? It doesn't exactly look like it belongs there.

:lemons:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Also, LeMons. Spending money defeats the purpose. Lawnmower plugs it is! :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Yep. I have a spark plug air adapter for that too although I feel a lot safer with a bit of rope because there is a mechanical reason for the valves not vanishing into the barrel.

I have managed to successfully helicoil a spark plug thread on a 4 cylinder 250cc motorbike using this method and grease on the tap to avoid the shavings going in. I felt like some sort of master mechanic samurai. My 'rope' was a very narrow strip of rag about 200mm long, it was enough to completely fill the bore.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
'The rope trick' is commonly used on jetski engines as it can be a pain in the rear end to pull flywheels and PTO couplers. Sure, there are special tools but PWC mechanics aren't exactly the fancy type.
It's generally frowned upon as the higher class mechanics believe it puts undue stress on the piston, the rod, and possibly the crank. Perhaps the crank could go out of phase even.
I've always thought that was BS, but amazingly I started using the special tools instead of the ole rope once I had a fancy stroker engine with a spendy crank.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Those looked like mower plugs to me too. What can I say! Besides mowers I've never had plugs with threads that short on anything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

Those looked like mower plugs to me too. What can I say! Besides mowers I've never had plugs with threads that short on anything.

The one on top is one of the ones currently in my SBC :shobon:
(And the one on the bottom is one that was in until it met the piston, from being too long. Vortec application only, durr.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slavvy posted:

I don't understand the almost mythical fascination with reverse thread; do people think they're cool by saying X bolt is reverse? I can't remember the last time I've seen a reverse thread anything on any vehicle, tierods excepting. I know they exist but come on, honda are not citroen or jaguar, they won't arbitrarily throw reverse thread in just to gently caress with you.

Carteret posted:

Lugnuts on most Army trucks. Thank CHRIST most of them were labeled with "R" if they were reverse. That and split rims with run flats. Changing a Tire was a half a day affair it seemed. :suicide:

The driver's side wheel lugs on my '65 Plymouth Fury were left-hand thread. The ends of the lugs were struck with a capital "L".

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I went to a Stomach Cancer fundraiser/track walk at Sonoma/Infineon Raceway/Sears point this morning and our pace car was Kyle Busch's Nascar truck. We try and keep an eye on him as he goes around the track, and heading into turn 10 there's a big cloud of white smoke, which follows him all the way into the pits. When we walk around to that area there's a huge spill trail for about 200 feet. Obviously we check it out once we get back, and immediately something was amiss, as the hood was drooling:

There was no opening the hood, but on the dash was a hand-written piece of paper that said "DO NOT START, LEAKS OIL"

"Leak" might be a bit of an understatement. For his sake I hope it just blew an oil cooler line, but nobody was able to give us a definitive answer.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

kastein posted:

Same, anything spinning that fast that close to my feet gets very careful installation.

My flywheel is 10.4" and my fuel cut RPM is 5250. At that speed the outer edge of the flywheel and that flimsy little pressed-on starter ring gear are experiencing approximately 4000G :stare:

Every single inch of that ring gear has an outward force of around 370 pounds applied to it at that speed. 6 tons over the entire ring gear.

And it's maybe 6 inches from my right foot... and that's not taking into account the 23lb flywheel it's on. Just the 3 pound ring gear.

The sample problems in physics texts are getting more interesting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm going to have to dock myself 10 points for not showing work, 10 for using imperial units, and 5 for an answer with the wrong number of significant figures.

I forget if I've already posted this one here... #6 cylinder of a friend's 2001 jeep 4.0L engine.

It'd been getting what sounded like a bit of piston slap for a while, he already had a new motor lined up to install so it wasn't a priority, not a daily driven vehicle. Then on the way to Pennsylvania (from southeast Mass) the knocking got worse and worse and worse until it started running funny. They pulled over and determined the engine was shot, parked it in a commuter lot and he put his camping gear in another friend's jeep and rode the rest of the way down. Towed it home with a uhaul on the way back, tore the engine down and found this. Near as anyone could tell, it dropped a skirt (causing the piston slap) which resulted in the piston slowly disintegrating, the rings blowing out and the piston melting/breaking into pieces. The HG, head, and/or cylinder jacket may have also failed, resulting in that amazing mocha in the #5 cylinder...

Still drove onto the trailer.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's kind of a shame, that engine could have been saved, possibly with some judicious overboring, if it had been looked at when it started the piston slap. Now it looks completely knackered.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

EightBit posted:

It's kind of a shame, that engine could have been saved, possibly with some judicious overboring, if it had been looked at when it started the piston slap. Now it looks completely knackered.

If this thread has taught me anything about 4.0s, it's that they are never completely knackered. You can probably just remove the rod from #6, seal it back up, and nobody would be the wiser.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it wasn't for the fact that the oil and coolant became best friends (his words) I'm sure it could have been overbored or something. I'm pretty sure the jacket is cracked in #6.

4.0s are literally $100 each up here and dozens are crushed every day, if not more. It wasn't a significant loss, there are at least 15 rebuildable ones (or even just bolt in and go) at my local pick n pull on any given day and most of them don't sell before getting crushed.

In 10 or 20 years there might be a shortage, but right now losing one to a piston disintegration isn't a big deal.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:catstare: No Tracker alternator belt, thats a bad alternator belt. You're grounded :catstare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

:catstare: No Tracker alternator belt, thats a bad alternator belt. You're grounded :catstare:

I can't see what happened...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Looks like it escaped. And left behind an electrifying pun :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thats my point. Theres 2 belts in there, or was. The pulley just barely visible is the power steering idler. I have to get it off to get to the alternator belt which snapped, and we cant find anyone in the shop with hands small enough to even get to the adjuster bolt.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Time for a few feet of ratchet extensions? Or possibly remove the fan shroud and/or that goofy coolant tube?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well yeah, thats what I'm going to have to do but I'm only getting 0.6 flat to change it :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hmmm.

Any chance you can get the new belt onto the crank pulley and most of the way onto the alt pulley, then disconnect the ignition coil and use a screwdriver plus a helper to bump the ignition and pull the new belt onto the alt pulley?

I've only ever done that with v-belts, and only in dire circumstances (getting the new air compressor belt onto my M54A2 180 miles from home after it broke down on the way back from buying it, couldn't afford a $4/mile gate to gate tow) but it might work.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I wouldn't expect that to work with a ribbed belt. Also, before you dig into that mess, you made sure all the relevant pulleys actually turn, right?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the alternator only rides on the alt and the crank. That I can get. The power steering belt is the bitch and a half to get the bolts out because the fan and that coolant pope are in the way. Alternator spins freely, I'm just raging at the amount of clearance :argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not sure what a coolant pope is, but it's a rather funny mental image.

Looks like I'm never buying a Tracker.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It bends over the small hoses and eventually causes them to weep.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I'm not sure what a coolant pope is, but it's a rather funny mental image.

Looks like I'm never buying a Tracker.

I have that Tracker and have been putting off changing the belts. This isn't helping. :geno:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not catastrophic, but we had problems with road wheel caps on a few M1A1 Abrams during movements last year. There was a problem with the plastic on the new caps on our road wheels, and they kept fracturing and dumping lubricant everywhere. Had to wait hours for replacement caps and POL to fix a whole bunch of broken caps:

Leaking cap on the left, broken in the middle.

EBB fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 14, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Plastic caps? On MY battle tank?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not for long, apparently. :rimshot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AB posted:

Not catastrophic, but we had problems with road wheel caps on a few M1A1 Abrams during movements last year. There was a problem with the plastic on the new caps on our road wheels, and they kept fracturing and dumping lubricant everywhere. Had to wait hours for replacement caps and POL to fix a whole bunch of broken caps:

Leaking cap on the left, broken in the middle.

So the bearings are lubricated with a liquid, not a grease? I don't know anything about how tanks work!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Slavvy posted:

So the bearings are lubricated with a liquid, not a grease? I don't know anything about how tanks work!

Ah-ha! Quick men, shoot for the caps! Seriously though? Those plastic caps really have the potential to cripple one of those things. Seems a bit of a poor design choice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Ah-ha! Quick men, shoot for the caps! Seriously though? Those plastic caps really have the potential to cripple one of those things. Seems a bit of a poor design choice.

"They'll never think to find cost-reduction here!"

Seriously though, maybe they have some other kind of protection when they're deployed. AB could tell us I'm sure.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Deceptor101 posted:

That piston really is completely gone:

It reminds me of a coyote shaped hole in the side of a cliff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PainterofCrap posted:

Plastic caps? On MY battle tank?

They will probably use it as enough of a failure to decommission it and use another. They've got thousands of extra tanks right now, and still making more.

Plastic caps? On MY pork surplus?

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/army-to-congress-thanks-but-no-tanks/comment-page-4/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After reading the head gasket torque discussion I will be going home and double checking my bolts. :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Boat posted:

I have that Tracker and have been putting off changing the belts. This isn't helping. :geno:

Did it today. Take off the upper radiator hose, then the 2 12mm bolts for the power steering idler. Then thdres 2 10mm bolts holding 2 lines by the alternator, which has a 12mmat the top and a single 14mm at the bottom. Wasnt too bad actually once the hose was moved.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavvy posted:

"They'll never think to find cost-reduction here!"

Seriously though, maybe they have some other kind of protection when they're deployed. AB could tell us I'm sure.

The side skirt armor doesn't drape down far enough to protect those caps. We parked the vehicles to avoid further damage since the maintenance guys could get to us quick with spare parts (and lubricant and a custom wrench because tracks suck to fix). Didn't break or throw track, so it was a good day. If we had, break out the sledgehammers and rope. :getin:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Some guy on a local site says he hit a pothole and broke his coilover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sure looks like a horrible mechanic failure to me. The upper end of that appears to have tapered threads and a perfectly square face, so I think the nut came off rather than the stud breaking.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 17, 2013