Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

wrinklepuff posted:

Heroin and AIDS and poverty and statutory rape and poop and dead babies are funny now.

About the only one of those that isn't played for laughs in Trainspotting is the dead baby. Also what other people said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

About the only one of those that isn't played for laughs in Trainspotting is the dead baby. Also what other people said.

Isn't the dead baby later played for uncomfortable laughs during a detox hallucination?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

moller posted:

Isn't the dead baby later played for uncomfortable laughs during a detox hallucination?

Eh, I'd say that's more of a gray area whether it's supposed to be funny or not. Most people I know found it really creepy.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

kuddles posted:

While we're on the subject of The West Wing, is the last season worth it? Because of my negative experience watching the final season of shows where the creator left, I never bothered at the time.

Season 7 picks up steam that's lost in 5 & 6. It's got a totally different focus, being entirely the story of the election of Bartlet's replacement, and Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda give great turns in their roles.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Remember that genres are just an imaginary construct for classifying movies to make them easier to sort into lists. The only thing that every movie on Netflix has in common is that they can be viewed on Netflix.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

casa de mi padre posted:

So apparently Netflix UK has the first part of Season Five of Breaking Bad available while us poor Americans don't... is there an easy way for non-UK people to get access to that? I really need to get caught up so I can discuss it with people.

Amazon has it streaming for $14. It's not ideal, but them's the breaks when you miss the original broadcast.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

scary ghost dog posted:

Remember that genres are just an imaginary construct for classifying movies to make them easier to sort into lists. The only thing that every movie on Netflix has in common is that they can be viewed on Netflix.

True. However these have been sorted most likely by a living breathing person and someone thought that Joe Dirt was a comedy. And that mistake could cost lives.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

True. However these have been sorted most likely by a living breathing person and someone thought that Joe Dirt was a comedy. And that mistake could cost lives.

"Joe dirt is one of the best comedies I've ever seen!" The 12 year old said.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So anyone else have access to the new Super HD features? I tried a movie I was halfway through that offered it and also sampled a 3D film and have to say I was pretty impressed with the video quality.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

kuddles posted:

So anyone else have access to the new Super HD features? I tried a movie I was halfway through that offered it and also sampled a 3D film and have to say I was pretty impressed with the video quality.

What movies have it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Breaking Bad's first season is entertaining but definitely at a lower temperature than what would follow. We don't quite see Walt at his worst yet, he's still more stubborn than evil. But the finale is really good and is a nice hook for the rest of the show.

And yet I'm still not caught up.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

A fair amount of them seem to. It will have a "Super HD" logo when you look it up on the interface. You have to be on an ISP that supports it though, since it is pretty high level in the amount of bandwidth it requires.

The 3D titles seem pretty slim right now. It was Immortals that I tried it on. It also has a "3D" logo next to the other ones and will ask you if you want to watch it in 3D when you start playing it (assuming your TV can handle it.)

I would honestly put the video quality on the same level as renting a film off Vudu or PSN so I'm pretty impressed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Of course Comcast, the largest ISP in the country doesn't support it, probably because of the fighting that Netflix and Comcast are involved in.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I got my mom a PS3 for Christmas so she could replace her $80 cable bill with the cost of Netflix and Hulu. It didn't occur to me until after I'd helped her rate, like, 500 movies how drastically different two Netflix experiences can be. Once you do poo poo like rating Amadeus three stars and Knight & Day five stars, Netflix gets really weird.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Keanu Grieves posted:

I got my mom a PS3 for Christmas so she could replace her $80 cable bill with the cost of Netflix and Hulu. It didn't occur to me until after I'd helped her rate, like, 500 movies how drastically different two Netflix experiences can be. Once you do poo poo like rating Amadeus three stars and Knight & Day five stars, Netflix gets really weird.
There are tons of titles I have been dying to see that I only discover from pure luck and are never, ever recommended to me or show up on any of the lists. I can only imagine that part of my problem is I never bother rating anything unless it's something I never heard of that I watch and find a pleasant surprise, so Netflix probably thinks I only like obscure direct-to-DVD material.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Technically, my mom likes Maid in Manhattan more than Casablanca.

Yeah.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I spent minutes of my life (like maybe 45 and not even all at once) rating a poo poo-ton of movies and have gotten mostly excellent suggestions. Up to a point. Then they started recommending me poo poo that their algorithm suggests I'd only rate about a 2 or 3 at highest.

No, Netflix, I don't want to watch some Z-grade, Asylum Lite horror movie about Half-Shark, Half-Werewolf Zombie Hookers. Or maybe I do, but stop suggesting dozens of them in categories that they shouldn't even be in.

...though I guess it's partly my fault since I tend to only subscribe to Netflix around the Halloween season and most of my views are 80's horror films and the odd documentary or TV series.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Netflix's suggestions have gotten progressively more awful over time. Since finding Criticker I don't even pay attention to what Netflix thinks.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...
This may have been mentioned, but I don't remember it being in the last 50+ pages.

Miller's Crossing is on streaming! It's a complex story of a 1920s mafia war by the Coen brothers, and it is fantastic. Legend has it the Coen brothers needed to take a break from writing this script because it was so complicated, so they took three weeks off to write Barton Fink.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Netflix is like a buddy with a big movie collection but bad taste, so he has a lot of good movies but a shitload of terrible ones and he only ever recommends you the terrible ones and it's up to you to say "nah let's watch Jaws instead" and he's like "I don't have Jaws but I do have Sharktopus"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Netflix's suggestions have gotten progressively more awful over time. Since finding Criticker I don't even pay attention to what Netflix thinks.

Just now trying this site out, but the one thing I'm not liking is how they describe ratings. 86 is not "decent". 70-80 is "decent", 80-92ish should be "really good" or something similar.

I was putting movies like No Country For Old Men at 86 on a gut feeling and it said I only thought it was "alright"... not sure what I think about this site yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tewratomeh posted:

Just now trying this site out, but the one thing I'm not liking is how they describe ratings. 86 is not "decent". 70-80 is "decent", 80-92ish should be "really good" or something similar.

You can change the rating to mean whatever you want them to mean.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

axleblaze posted:

You can change the rating to mean whatever you want them to mean.
Yeah, go to your profile and scroll down to "Manually control the colors & quips applied to your rankings with this tool."

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I know this has probably been asked many times but is there a netflix search engine where you can specifically filter by UK availability?

https://www.instancewatchdb.com and instantwatcher.com don't seem to allow it.

It's pretty annoying clicking through to movies only for them not to be available.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I just noticed Glengarry Glen Ross is up there. I can't say you'll enjoy it, but if you work with salesmen, this is their Office Space. Also, I'm pretty sure Ol' Gill from the Simpsons is based on Jack Lemmon's character in this film.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

calandryll posted:

I don't care about auto racing. I watch Top Gear for the stupid poo poo that they do and not for the cars. But drat if Senna wasn't one of the best documentaries I've seen.

Absolutely heart-wrenching doc, everyone needs to watch it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
This has probably been mentioned before in here but I'm going to bring it up again (if this is something that's well-known by everyone I apologize for my naivete.) There's a shitload of presentations and lectures from TEDtalks on Netflix streaming that should be interesting to just about anyone. From teh Wikipedia:

TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design) is a global set of conferences owned by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, formed to disseminate "ideas worth spreading."

TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event.[1] The annual conference began in 1990, in Monterey, California.[4] TED's early emphasis was technology and design, consistent with its origins in the Silicon Valley. The events are now held in Long Beach and Palm Springs in the U.S. and in Europe and Asia, offering live streaming of the talks. They address a wide range of topics within the research and practice of science and culture, often through storytelling.[5] The speakers are given a maximum of 18 minutes to present their ideas in the most innovative and engaging ways they can. Past presenters include Bill Clinton, Jane Goodall, Malcolm Gladwell, Al Gore, Gordon Brown, Richard Dawkins, Bill Gates, Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and many Nobel Prize winners.[6] TED's current curator is the British former computer journalist and magazine publisher Chris Anderson.

I just kindof stumbled into watching these yesterday and they've sparked a lot of fun conversations between my girlfriend and I. We started with the Sex, Love, Relationships category and then watched the Head Games series. If I were you I'd start with whatever category you have the most interest in and work your way from there. You're bound to hear something that's interesting in these presentations.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I just noticed Glengarry Glen Ross is up there. I can't say you'll enjoy it, but if you work with salesmen, this is their Office Space. Also, I'm pretty sure Ol' Gill from the Simpsons is based on Jack Lemmon's character in this film.

Glengarry Glen Ross is pretty great if not just for the brief appearance of Jack Donaghy. He would not appear on TV again until 2006.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

wrinklepuff posted:

Heroin and AIDS and poverty and statutory rape and poop and dead babies are funny now.

Have you ever seen an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? You basically just described the material for every joke that show makes. This is what a lot of people find funny now, I guess.

For the record I hate It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Doctor Tupac posted:

Have you ever seen an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? You basically just described the material for every joke that show makes. This is what a lot of people find funny now, I guess.

To be fair, the show's more laughing at the kind of people who do find that funny, but to each their own.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Doctor Tupac posted:

The show has really gotten dumber as it has progressed, and I really can't stand it past the first three seasons save for a couple of exceptions, but this is a horrible mischaracterization of it.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The show has really gotten dumber as it has progressed, and I really can't stand it past the first three seasons save for a couple of exceptions, but this is a horrible mischaracterization of it.

I don't really understand the appeal of this show, I don't see the satire. All I see is cheap shock gags about easy topics.

But I often feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't get this show. Maybe I really am missing something.

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 14, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The scenario in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is what happens when Seinfeld goes too far.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

axleblaze posted:

The scenario in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is what happens when Seinfeld goes too far.

I don't really understand how that necessarily equals funny or good.

I get that the characters in Sunny are supposed to be seen as deserving of ridicule, but often the 'voice of reason' characters that oppose what the main characters do are portrayed as being uptight or boring or snobby or overly authoritarian. So really, who do the creators want us to side with? No one maybe.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 14, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Dracula 3000 is on Instant and it's somehow worse than Dracula 2000 and Van Helsing combined. Every character who isn't a white male is ridiculed mercilessly, and Coolio is only in it for space weed. Literally every line of dialogue he has is about space weed, attaining space weed, what he likes about space weed, or cumming on the aging Playmate-turned-actress.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor Tupac posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of this show, I don't see the satire. All I see is cheap shock gags about easy topics.

But I often feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't get this show. Maybe I really am missing something.

If you feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't get something, it's almost certain that you are really missing something.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Doctor Tupac posted:

I get that the characters in Sunny are supposed to be seen as deserving of ridicule, but often the 'voice of reason' characters that oppose what the main characters do are portrayed as being uptight or boring or snobby or overly authoritarian. So really, who do the creators want us to side with? No one maybe.

That's exactly it. There are no voice of reason characters. Dee was supposed to be this, and you can sort of see it in the first few episodes, but it clearly got scrapped. They're all supposed to be awful, even the supporting characters.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Doctor Tupac posted:

I rarely sympathize with any of the characters on It's Always Sunny, but I think it's a funny show. If you need to find at least one character likable in your comedies than it will be far from an appealing choice. Like someone else said, the show is really like Seinfeld taken to an extreme. Specifically, it's Seinfeld played out until its finale in nearly every episode. The show consistently shits on its characters to a point where they should learn to be better people, but they never do. To me, the show attempts to deconstruct the concept of the "American Dream" through characters too stupid and ignorant to understand the nuances of luck and privilege that account for it. These are characters who take tips for wealth and success to their logical extremes with no thought or study whatsoever. I think it's a rather unsophisticated satire of American life and government, but I may be stretching.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

Doughbaron posted:

Like someone else said, the show is really like Seinfeld taken to an extreme.

Not everyone on Seinfeld was a total narcissistic jerk. Kramer usually seemed like he had good intentions, to me at least.

I guess the relateableness of the cast of Seinfeld's foibles made it easier to take their self-centeredness. Yes, George Costanza is an utterly pathetic, and occasionally odious, human being. However, many, although not all, of the mistakes he makes on the show are believable, or at least rooted in common mistakes that many of us make.

But still, many situations in Seinfeld were unrealistic. I just feel like Seinfeld didn't (often) go for easy targets, they didn't make a lot of AIDs, homeless, pedophile or drug addict jokes. You could argue that these things are prevalent in Philadelphia (maybe not the pedophilia thing), but NYC wasn't exactly a paradise in the 90's.

Everything with Sunny has to be ridiculous, over the top, and it has to be about some 'edgy' topic. And no one is likeable. No one. Not even Charlie, who I can only ever recall screaming his lines like an ADD addled adolescent. Again, this might be a matter of taste, maybe some people just find that funny and some people don't. I don't find him charming, just annoying.

All this extremity makes it hard for me to relate to. That would be fine if the show was at least good satire, bringing some novel insight to these topics, but I don't think it does. Most of the characters on South Park aren't very likeable, especially lately. Stan and Kyle are pretty boring mouthpieces for Matt and Trey's beliefs and Cartman is a racist rear end in a top hat. But I enjoy that show because of the way it uniquely discusses various topics, both extreme and mundane.

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

It's okay to just not like a thing. You don't have to convince us that your position is logically sound, or whatever it is you're doing.

• Locked thread