Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

WB took over distribution for Zodiac (and a ton of other titles) from Paramount, but they aren't changing the releases in any way. There was apparently some stock remaining, and for those BDs WB has just placed a new sticker over the older UPC. For new stock created, the artwork, disc, etc. are all identical, they just have that new UPC and a small WB logo actually printed on the cover instead of the old UPC.

So it doesn't really matter what you get unless someone truly fucks up and sends you the 1-disc UK one.

I got the old stock with sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Aatrek posted:

Oh, by the way, there's almost certainly going to be a third Star Trek series coming to Blu-ray this year: we're probably looking at a mid-2013 release of the Animated Series.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Anyone own this set: http://www.amazon.com/2001-Odyssey-...he+shining+2001

I'm wondering what the quality is like.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I own this set and assuming they are the same transfers (Blu-ray.com says it is), they look really good.

Clockwork Orange probably looks the worst because I don't think they did any real restoration work on it but it still doesn't look terrible by any means. Official reviews complain about Orange having some edge enhancement but I couldn't notice it.

The Shining looks great, but 2001 is by far the most amazing one. It's one of those old movie transfers that look like the film was shot yesterday.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 11, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

kuddles posted:

I own this set and assuming they are the same transfers (Blu-ray.com says it is), they look really stellar, especially 2001. Clockwork Orange probably looks the worst because I don't think they did any real restoration work on it but it still doesn't look terrible by any means. Official reviews complain about Orange having some edge enhancement but I couldn't notice it.

Works for me, I've seen Orange enough times in high school to never watch it again in my life.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Long shot, but I'm in Shanghai for a month and I was wondering if there are any China exclusive releases or anything I should keep my eye out for? Sometimes things get weird like that, like how The Straight Story only has a Japanese release for whatever reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Long shot, but I'm in Shanghai for a month and I was wondering if there are any China exclusive releases or anything I should keep my eye out for? Sometimes things get weird like that, like how The Straight Story only has a Japanese release for whatever reason.

I don't know if it received a Chinese release but keep an eye out for Lust, Caution

Great movie with a great transfer.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Over at TrekCore.com, we're running a long, multi-part interview with Robert Meyer Burnett, one of the two producers of the fairly awesome Star Trek: TNG Blu-ray documentaries / bonus features.

It's a good read on how the team's been digging through 25-year-old archival boxes, dealing with celebrity interviews, and other good stuff. It's worth a read even if you aren't a huge Trek fan, and just like behind-the-scenes production stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Universal Classic Monster boxset dropped down to $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FL8OTK...P8SFG1FSTMJ6ENF

Dracula/Drácula/Frankenstein/Bride Of Frankenstein/The Wolf Man/The Mummy/The Invisible Man/Phantom of the Opera/Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Sporadic posted:

The Universal Classic Monster boxset dropped down to $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FL8OTK...P8SFG1FSTMJ6ENF

Dracula/Drácula/Frankenstein/Bride Of Frankenstein/The Wolf Man/The Mummy/The Invisible Man/Phantom of the Opera/Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D

On the UK Amazon it's only $33.59 CAD with shipping. Same set and of course region free!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know what to do about blu-ray discs that won't play because of that stupid BD Live feature? So far I own two that do this and firmware updates won't fix it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Have you tried cutting off or turning off the internet connection to your Bluray player completely before loading the disc?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kuddles posted:

Have you tried cutting off or turning off the internet connection to your Bluray player completely before loading the disc?

My player isn't connected to the internet.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
There should be a setting on your player that pevents it from trying to connect.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Professor Clumsy posted:

There should be a setting on your player that pevents it from trying to connect.

I read up on it and it's a memory issue. I'm wondering if anyone's had the same problem and knows a work around. The player I have is a Sony S-470

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

I read up on it and it's a memory issue. I'm wondering if anyone's had the same problem and knows a work around. The player I have is a Sony S-470

Some players require you insert a USB drive to provide storage for the BD-Live nonsense (even if you're not connecting to download it...).

Another common fix is to delete all temporary files created by BD-Java / BD-Live discs. This will vary from player to player, but poking around in the menu should reveal something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Well, my "2012" copy of Zodiac came today from Amazon even though the product vanished for a while and has now reappeared with no option to order.

I say "2012" because there is no indication that this blu ray is not one of the original pressings. All the copyright and year info either says 2007 or 2009.

What are the chances I lucked out and magically got sent an old Zodiac?

I got one of these today as well. It's definitely not the UK edition, which I also own. The case only has Paramount logos, but the discs have Warner logos along with the Paramount ones.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Jack Gladney posted:

I got one of these today as well. It's definitely not the UK edition, which I also own. The case only has Paramount logos, but the discs have Warner logos along with the Paramount ones.

Are these still available, and if so could you post a link? Looks like only the UK version is up on Amazon so far as I can tell from my phone.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Asnorban posted:

Are these still available, and if so could you post a link? Looks like only the UK version is up on Amazon so far as I can tell from my phone.

Temp OOS

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AG472DS...HQSB4AB1QWSN4DE

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks! Put in an order for whatever time frame they may get more.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Asnorban posted:

Thanks! Put in an order for whatever time frame they may get more.

There's another edition on amazon showing 5 left in stock, and still pretty inexpensive for $17.49.

EDIT: sorry this is the UK edition.
What's the difference between the two?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

friendo55 posted:

There's another edition on amazon showing 5 left in stock, and still pretty inexpensive for $17.49.

EDIT: sorry this is the UK edition.
What's the difference between the two?

UK edition crams all the extras on the main disc which takes the bitrate of the movie from ~38 Mbps to ~19 Mbps. Also I think some of the extras on the international version are in SD, whereas they're all in HD and on the second disc of the American release.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Deadpool posted:

UK edition crams all the extras on the main disc which takes the bitrate of the movie from ~38 Mbps to ~19 Mbps. Also I think some of the extras on the international version are in SD, whereas they're all in HD and on the second disc of the American release.

That's quite substantial as far as I'm concerned - thank you!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My Vengeance Trilogy came in.

I just want to make note of one improvement that I appreciate very much... in Lady Vengeance when Geumja makes the killer translate her apology into English for her daughter, the subtitles were totally redundant and distracting. They finally got rid of them in the bluray. Hooray!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What's the deal with the 25th Anniversary Collection of Die Hard? It doesn't appear to have the unrated cut of LFODH but it has a "bonus disc" of stuff that I'm not sure has been seen before. Doesn't seem worth buying, especially if you already have the collection.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is probably a bit too early to tell, but does anyone know if there's any difference between this double feature release of Casablanca/African Queen and their individual releases?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

This is probably a bit too early to tell, but does anyone know if there's any difference between this double feature release of Casablanca/African Queen and their individual releases?

It seems to use the remastered Casablanca since the cover art is the same (the previous edition used a different photo). There's only one version of The African Queen. Both are excellent 4K restorations.

The Ben-Hur/Ten Commandments double feature is a great buy, too. While it's missing most of the extras since they're only in the big gift boxes, the 4K remasters are amazing.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 19, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Master preorder dropped down to $25.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008220DIC...82QHG6QB6786ZCF

GrandpaPants posted:

I doubt it.

Warner double features are normally the first disc of the original release.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
I just picked up the Battle Royale set with the theatrical and director's cut. Having never seen the movie before, which should I watch first?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Man, they're really trying to make Joaquin look like DDL, aren't they?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Arnm616 posted:

I just picked up the Battle Royale set with the theatrical and director's cut. Having never seen the movie before, which should I watch first?
Theatrical.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Arnm616 posted:

I've never actually seen the original cut and I don't feel like I'm missing out. So I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Plus the additions to the "Director's Cut" add character development.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually seen the original cut and I don't feel like I'm missing out. So I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Plus the additions to the "Director's Cut" add character development.

I was like that, so watching the theatrical cut after was slightly less satisfying. Not to Aliens levels of unsatisfying or anything, but a little lacking.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 20, 2013

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CPL593H posted:

But like a lot of "Director's Cuts" the bits that are added back in are redundant and mess with the pacing, like the Mitsuko stuff that's just silly. Sure, it's technically "character development" but that doesn't mean it's good or worthwhile. The film's kind of bloated to begin with so I'd say watch the theatrical version first, you're less likely to feel deflated if things drag on for you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Akuma posted:

But like a lot of "Director's Cuts" the bits that are added back in are redundant and mess with the pacing, like the Mitsuko stuff that's just silly. Sure, it's technically "character development" but that doesn't mean it's good or worthwhile. The film's kind of bloated to begin with so I'd say watch the theatrical version first, you're less likely to feel deflated if things drag on for you.

I've never felt like the pacing was messed up by those bits, but again it's the only version of the movie I've seen.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Speaking of "director's cuts" the Conan the Barbarian BR has a really good transfer, but the ending is the newer version that was made to promote the never made King Conan instead of the original ending. It's a little annoying since it adds back in extra scenes with the wayward princess Conan was rescuing and it ruins the flow of the end sequence.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So there are a few movies out there that are apparently out of print, or ... something?

I'd love to have The Man Who Fell to Earth by Criterion, but that's OOP, and the copies on Amazon are well over $100 a piece. I remember seeing Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman in stores for around $13, but now that goes for around $50. What the hell? How do things end up going OOP? How can I make sure to get a copy before they go away? Had I known Zatoichi would disappear, I would've picked it up instead of shuffling it down my buy list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Criterion Collection release films by leasing the home video rights from larger film companies, who can back out at the end of a lease term if they want. Most don't, which is why Criterion isn't the Mondo Tees of the video market, but things do slip away here and there. A couple years ago Lionsgate/Canal+ dropped their contract and took all their films back with the intent of releasing them on their own arts label, which explains The Man Who Fell To Earth and Pierrot le fou (and, recently, Chungking Express) and so on. The lovely thing is that they loving sucked at it and now they're just sitting on like thirty titles as collateral or something. It's stupid but there you go.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A couple years ago Lionsgate/Canal+ dropped their contract and took all their films back with the intent of releasing them on their own arts label, which explains The Man Who Fell To Earth and Pierrot le fou (and, recently, Chungking Express) and so on.

Ugh.

I don't understand this thinking.

Another company wants to pay you to take some of your material (that you're not using), and give it the royal treatment. People will pay premium prices, and your intellectual property receives the holy stamp of acclaim. You've literally done nothing but nod in someone else's direction, and you get a new revenue stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Red posted:

Ugh.

I don't understand this thinking.

Another company wants to pay you to take some of your material (that you're not using), and give it the royal treatment. People will pay premium prices, and your intellectual property receives the holy stamp of acclaim. You've literally done nothing but nod in someone else's direction, and you get a new revenue stream.
You potentially get more money and have more control doing it yourself. It's not hard to understand. Corporations aren't about making some money; they're about making as much money as possible.

• Locked thread