Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
The company I work for now, has an e-commerce site/shopping cart; The domain itself is hosted through HostGator, and while we did get a dedicated server initially, I have come to find out that about a month ago they moved us to one of their virtual-managed (virtual OS) dedicated servers, against our wishes (long story short, one of my bosses specifically told the support person NOT to migrate us over, about a day passes and it happens anyway)....This has been loving our company's database integration royally to hell as a result.

It's somewhere between the database itself (MS Dynamics RMS) and the shopping cart, (X-Cart, hosted through another company) not liking the switch to a virtual OS for our server. Of course, we've been back and forth with HostGator, (to loving get us back where we were at a month ago) but it is looking as though they're not particularly interested in moving us back. I'm starting to look at possible solutions for different hosts that offer dedicated servers, as a result.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good log analyzer for Apache? There seem to be a bunch out there, so thought I would just ask before installing a bunch.
It does not necessarily have to be free, but it is for personal use so would prefer freeware.

Edit: I realize that this is not completely on-topic, but it seemed the best place to ask.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Can anyone recommend a good log analyzer for Apache? There seem to be a bunch out there, so thought I would just ask before installing a bunch.
It does not necessarily have to be free, but it is for personal use so would prefer freeware.

Edit: I realize that this is not completely on-topic, but it seemed the best place to ask.

AWStats is pretty simple to use.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Yeah, as above, Awstats is the most ubiquitous thing by far.

Edit:

Does anyone have experience with Raven/SEOMoz/etc after the Panda updates? I'm trying to develop some good SEO but getting absolutely nowhere. I think one of the issues I have is that my site is actually just one page.

My SEOMoz trial is about to end and I really haven't seen any difference although admittedly I know very little about SEO.

vty fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 15, 2013

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

slingshot effect posted:

Thanks for the tips!

If most of your visitors are in Australia I can highly recommend Mammoth VPS http://www.mammoth.net.au

Been using them for a few years now for most business stuff. Around $40/mo for an entry-level VPS. They do cPanel licensing too (an extra $15/month iirc). If you aren't comfortable installing stuff, you can get a managed VPS, and just downgrade to not having the managed services after a month. That's $140 or something for software installation, but if you're time is worth anything, it's probably worth it...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I picked up a VPS from Digital Ocean today - https://www.digitalocean.com

They have 'SSDBEAR20' as a $20 code - the have a 512MB/20GB (SSD) VPS that's only $5 a month

Only catch is you have to have a credit card on file or the 'free' account expires after a few hours. You can't run your own kernel but they claim to be running KVM, and the control over your node is a little lacking compared to say, Linode or Slicehost.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Bob Morales posted:

They have 'SSDBEAR20' as a $20 code - the have a 512MB/20GB (SSD) VPS that's only $5 a month

Only catch is you have to have a credit card on file or the 'free' account expires after a few hours. You can't run your own kernel but they claim to be running KVM, and the control over your node is a little lacking compared to say, Linode or Slicehost.

Thought this was pretty crazy (techcrunch comment from their Marketing Dir)

"Correct - we have 76,000 free trial users and 2-3k paying customers."

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
This might be the wrong thread but a fairly computer illiterate friend of the family wants to put a simple brochure website. Is there a company out there she can pay to design, build and host something for her?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blargle posted:

This might be the wrong thread but a fairly computer illiterate friend of the family wants to put a simple brochure website. Is there a company out there she can pay to design, build and host something for her?

It's not a designer but she should have a look at Squarespace. Cheap hosting with a really simple drag & drop CMS (with a bunch of nice templates and video tutorials), which she can try out for two weeks without a credit card.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I like http://virb.com myself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vty posted:

Thought this was pretty crazy (techcrunch comment from their Marketing Dir)

"Correct - we have 76,000 free trial users and 2-3k paying customers."

Not sure how they are making money when they charge 1/4 what Linode does Then again they just doubled their VPS specs so they were only charging half and I'm sure Linode has way more overhead (and they offer a much better, mature product)

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure how they are making money when they charge 1/4 what Linode does Then again they just doubled their VPS specs so they were only charging half and I'm sure Linode has way more overhead (and they offer a much better, mature product)

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea, and I'm saying that as someone who runs a VPS provider (sensiblevps.com). They must be working on incredibly tight margins.

I also don't understand why anybody would invest so much money into a VPS startup that is attempting to compete in the big league against Linode, Rackspace, etc. They received TechStars funding when they had 500 customers and TEN THOUSAND virtual servers (I'm assuming free trials).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about DO, they are run by people from a large managed hosting services company from NYC from a decade+ ago, in addition to having a fuckload of spare IP space.

The owners have an absurd amount of money.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't know if anyone has been dealing with the recent Rails vulnerability but I have a question specifically regarding cPanel's patch that adds rails 2.3.15;

Once the new 2.3.15 version of Rails is running along-side the 2.3.14 version of Rails do I need to do anything to make sure that each RoR application running on a server is using 2.3.15? My understanding is that a RoR application inherits the Rails version that it was created with, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

If my assumption about that is right then I should still need to go through each RoR app and change the rails version its using manually; but I have servers with 500+ accounts; is there a way to automatically force 2.3.15? Its not supposed to have any changes other than not allowing SQL injections so I have no idea why cpanel decided to leave 2.5.14 on the server in the first place.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
cPanel even working at all with anything that isn't old versions of PHP is a huge surprise to me and I'm pretty sure many other people.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I have a DNS question, if this is the wrong place to post it, can you point me in the correct direction?

Alright, so I have a shared hosting plan on website.com and a dedicated server that I'd like to have as dedicated.website.com. The main site, website.com, works fine, but yesterday I set an A record to 12.34.56.78, my dedicated server's IP address, with dedicated.website.com as the name, however, a day later it is still unreachable. I don't think it's a propagation issue, since it's been a day, and my TTL was set to 3600. Isup.me also lists it as unreachable.

The server's running Apache, and I can reach it over the internet via its IP address, 12.34.56.78, but not through dedicated.website.com.

On the dedicated server, in ../apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf, I've also set...
code:
#commented out readme stuff
NameVirtualHost *:80

#commented out readme stuff
<VirtualHost *:80>
	DocumentRoot /root/to/site
	ServerName dedicated.website.com
</VirtualHost>
...and restarted Apache, but still nothing.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

edit: if I restart Apache through the terminal with -k, it reads:

quote:

Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using user.local for ServerName
edit: in httpd.conf I changed ServerName from its default to dedicated.website.com:80 as well and restarted Apache, no change.
edit: through a combination of the above and doing domainname dedicated.website.com in the terminal, I no longer get an error when restarting Apache with -k, however, it still doesn't work either :(

Triglav fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2013

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

cPanel even working at all with anything that isn't old versions of PHP is a huge surprise to me and I'm pretty sure many other people.

Right; note that they support 2.3.15 but will not support any 3.x.x version. If I were setting up a website personally I would use mod_rails. Unfortunately the reselling business model promotes quantity over quality in most cases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Triglav posted:

edit: if I restart Apache through the terminal with -k, it reads:

edit: in httpd.conf I changed ServerName from its default to dedicated.website.com:80 as well and restarted Apache, no change.
edit: through a combination of the above and doing domainname dedicated.website.com in the terminal, I no longer get an error when restarting Apache with -k, however, it still doesn't work either :(

That's pretty normal.

To be sure it's not a DNS issue you can add your site and IP in your hosts file with a line like this:

12.34.56.78 Triglav.com

You can also use (assuming you're on a Linux box) the nslookup and dig commands to see what your DNS server returns for your domain name.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

If you're talking about DO, they are run by people from a large managed hosting services company from NYC from a decade+ ago, in addition to having a fuckload of spare IP space.

The owners have an absurd amount of money.

Seems like they are still getting more:

quote:

Also we are constantly receiving new IP space from ARIN and given the limited availability of IPv4 space many of the netblocks we are receiving are coming from prior allocations and may not have the correct GeoIP Location information.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Bob Morales posted:

That's pretty normal.

To be sure it's not a DNS issue you can add your site and IP in your hosts file with a line like this:

12.34.56.78 Triglav.com

You can also use (assuming you're on a Linux box) the nslookup and dig commands to see what your DNS server returns for your domain name.

When adding it manually to the hosts file of another computer, it goes through fine.

However, back on the server I'm getting NXDOMAIN returning for both nslookup and dig... huh... I think the issue lies with my DNS registrar. Thanks.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
you might find intodns.com and dns.squish.net useful

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks for this - how has your experience been so far?

Tempted to move things over from Linode - aside from pretty abysmal download speeds (averaging 2-4MB/s) , everything looks pretty good so far on DO - good documentation, good interface, responsive support. Somewhat worried about long term reliability, but not sure if I'm worried about it enough to not save $15/month over linode. Part of me also feels uneasy paying only $5 for a server for ecommerce use, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rawrr posted:

Tempted to move things over from Linode - aside from pretty abysmal download speeds (averaging 2-4MB/s) , everything looks pretty good so far on DO - good documentation, good interface, responsive support. Somewhat worried about long term reliability, but not sure if I'm worried about it enough to not save $15/month over linode. Part of me also feels uneasy paying only $5 for a server for ecommerce use, though.

I've just been idling in IRC but it hasn't disconnected or anything yet...

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

rawrr posted:

If your ecommerce isn't doing enough more than $15/mo to stay on a solid host like Linode, then don't worry about moving to an unknown host. I'm all for being fiscally responsible, but that seems like very little money to risk anything I was generating income from.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Well it hasn't launched yet, but you're right - that's why I ended up deciding to not move. Will probably use DO for testing/development/loving around though.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Granite Octopus posted:

If most of your visitors are in Australia I can highly recommend Mammoth VPS http://www.mammoth.net.au

Been using them for a few years now for most business stuff. Around $40/mo for an entry-level VPS. They do cPanel licensing too (an extra $15/month iirc). If you aren't comfortable installing stuff, you can get a managed VPS, and just downgrade to not having the managed services after a month. That's $140 or something for software installation, but if you're time is worth anything, it's probably worth it...

Awesome, thank you!

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Can I be refunded a domain if my new account is pending activation for the domain? This is specifically with DreamHost. I thought the free credit applies to all domain types, so I used a ".me" and got charged $33. Sucks because I did not read the fine print, but I was not even told I'd be charged that much at checkout for the domain. Would the charge be reverted if I contacted customer service requesting to change it to a .net or .com, or am I hosed? I contacted them immediately after I noticed what happened.

I literally cannot afford that charge right now. :(

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I'm attempting to send a confirmation email when users fill out a form on my website. The site is hosted on a VPS that I keep for tinkering, but the majority of my hosting is done on a shared host. My domain points to the shared host and then I have an subdomain A record pointing to my VPS for this particular site. I'm sending the email via smtp at the shared hosting but it's getting caught in Gmail's spam filter.

I have sent an email to verifier.port25.com address and it passes all tests except for "DomainKeys check" in which it receives a neutral score. Under that section of the detailed report, it shows the following:
pre:
Result:         neutral (message not signed)
ID(s) verified: header.From=address@domain.net
DNS record(s):
Notice that the DNS records section is empty. All other options have DNS records listed. Also, Sender-ID check also passes which is basically verifying that same information.

I've tried googling around but I'm really at a loss for what to do next. This is probably something really obvious that I'm missing here.

Also, it is happening to mail sent directly from the webclient on the shared host as well.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DKIM isn't magic, you need to configure it in your MTA - which might be difficult or impossible if you're using your shared host's

(it works by signing each message you send using a key whose public half is advertised in a authoritative location: your DNS records)

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
So I was looking through an old gmail account of mine, and found that I apparently still have an active web hosting account I haven't used in a couple of years. There's a bunch of invoices in there saying they've been paid, but I definitely haven't been paying them. I opened a few of them up and they're all like this:

They must have hosed something up after changing their payment processing software or something, it seems that for the last 28 or so monthly payments the 50% discount has been applied twice, giving me a free service.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

River posted:

So I was looking through an old gmail account of mine, and found that I apparently still have an active web hosting account I haven't used in a couple of years. There's a bunch of invoices in there saying they've been paid, but I definitely haven't been paying them. I opened a few of them up and they're all like this:

[timg]http:// ng[/timg]

They must have hosed something up after changing their payment processing software or something, it seems that for the last 28 or so monthly payments the 50% discount has been applied twice, giving me a free service.

you sure you're not double paying with paypal subscription? this is a common thing

quote:

I'm attempting to send a confirmation email when users fill out a form on my website. The site is hosted on a VPS that I keep for tinkering, but the majority of my hosting is done on a shared host. My domain points to the shared host and then I have an subdomain A record pointing to my VPS for this particular site. I'm sending the email via smtp at the shared hosting but it's getting caught in Gmail's spam filter.

You MUST have valid, CA-signed (NOT self signed) SSL cert and mail over SSL/TLS. Gmail will trash your mail if the entire transaction is not over SSL/TLS.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Biowarfare posted:

you sure you're not double paying with paypal subscription? this is a common thing

I'm sure. After I saw that I double-checked my bank statement, and no money has been paid to them on any of the dates given on the invoices.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

River posted:

I'm sure. After I saw that I double-checked my bank statement, and no money has been paid to them on any of the dates given on the invoices.

It looks like you have a Paypal subscription which is one-month ahead. This results in your invoices being paid via credit balance resulting in $0.00 balance, then your payment is applied leaving you with a one-month credit of $3.98. Check your approved payments / subscriptions in Paypal to be sure.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

You MUST have valid, CA-signed (NOT self signed) SSL cert and mail over SSL/TLS. Gmail will trash your mail if the entire transaction is not over SSL/TLS.

I was sending it over SSL/TLS already.

I did a little more digging and found that the IP of the shared host had been added to several blacklists for spam. I setup an account with a new hosting provider and it works perfectly.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Help an idiot start a blog please.

I expect little or no traffic, I'm gonna link to it from my LinkedIn and Twitter, and the idea is to show off my technical skills. I don't mind paying money for the right fit ($5 per month or $100/year or something).

I think all my requirements are pretty bare bones but I don't know much about my options:

Required Stuff
Text with basic formatting (bold, intents, bulleted lists, paragraphs, hyperlinks)
Pictures and/or thumbnails within a blog post
A stand-alone page with links to related web sites
Customizable blog title in case I think of a witty name
Customizable background
Tags / keywords on posts
Each blog entry has it's own page so I can link to individual posts and not the whole blog
Indexed by Google but no SEO is necessary
Comment system in case someone actually reads a post and sums up the will to post feedback
Bare bones analytics (how many times a post has been viewed)
ToS says I own the content in case I want to move to another platform and monitize it

Things I Don't Want
A full VPS / VM / dedicated host / shared host
I don't want to manage it because I get paid to gently caress with Linux servers and don't want to do it when I get home
A database, scripting languages like PHP, a shell account, access to the Apache config file, etc etc
I don't want to monetize it. If it gets crazy popular then I'll think about it but for now I just want to type stuff.
Tons of customization options. This is just technical writing to show off my skills and I don't want to spend the time to make it flashy.

WordPress seems like it's too much because I need minimal customization and don't want to gently caress with plugins and optimizations and poo poo like that, or am I over thinking it (eg: just use the default settings and go)?

Blogger looks about right, any reason not to use it?

What about a lol tumblr lol?

What are my other options, what am I missing?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
virb.com / squarespace.com

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If I wanted to host a tiny site without any extra costs or BS I'd just run a server off my desktop. Get xampp or similar and install WordPress.

The downside is that if you reset your modem you might get a new IP. Keep your TTL values low just in case. You will also want to be careful with your security. Maybe kick a VM for it?

Regarding WordPress; you don't need to install plugins if you don't want them and you don't need to optimize if you're only going to have a tiny number of visitors. I usually see keeping plugins to a bare minimum being the main optimization needed for WP anyway, so these two can solve each-other.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

hackedaccount posted:

Help an idiot start a blog please.

I expect little or no traffic, I'm gonna link to it from my LinkedIn and Twitter, and the idea is to show off my technical skills. I don't mind paying money for the right fit ($5 per month or $100/year or something).

I think all my requirements are pretty bare bones but I don't know much about my options:

Required Stuff
Text with basic formatting (bold, intents, bulleted lists, paragraphs, hyperlinks)
Pictures and/or thumbnails within a blog post
A stand-alone page with links to related web sites
Customizable blog title in case I think of a witty name
Customizable background
Tags / keywords on posts
Each blog entry has it's own page so I can link to individual posts and not the whole blog
Indexed by Google but no SEO is necessary
Comment system in case someone actually reads a post and sums up the will to post feedback
Bare bones analytics (how many times a post has been viewed)
ToS says I own the content in case I want to move to another platform and monitize it

Things I Don't Want
A full VPS / VM / dedicated host / shared host
I don't want to manage it because I get paid to gently caress with Linux servers and don't want to do it when I get home
A database, scripting languages like PHP, a shell account, access to the Apache config file, etc etc
I don't want to monetize it. If it gets crazy popular then I'll think about it but for now I just want to type stuff.
Tons of customization options. This is just technical writing to show off my skills and I don't want to spend the time to make it flashy.

WordPress seems like it's too much because I need minimal customization and don't want to gently caress with plugins and optimizations and poo poo like that, or am I over thinking it (eg: just use the default settings and go)?

Blogger looks about right, any reason not to use it?

What are my other options, what am I missing?

You're basically describing wordpress.com - you can use the default settings and go. If you feel fancy, you can pick a theme.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

If I wanted to host a tiny site without any extra costs or BS I'd just run a server off my desktop. Get xampp or similar and install WordPress.

The downside is that if you reset your modem you might get a new IP. Keep your TTL values low just in case. You will also want to be careful with your security. Maybe kick a VM for it?

Lol :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

hackedaccount posted:

actually not that bad for what you need, I've done it before