Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So I know that there are plenty of goons in Japan but are there any sumo goons there now? I'm moving to Chiba in April and would love to go to at least one day a tournament with any goons in the Tokyo area.

Edit: When I say one day a tournament, I mean go to at least one day each tournament in Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'm way down in Ehime prefecture, Shikoku island. I'll be going to at least a day of the Osaka tournament with a buncha folks from my area for sure.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No posting of the January banzuke yet? Tsk tsk!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

Edit: I mean I would comment on it but I honestly haven't thought about sumo for most of December...

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 8, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: I mean I would comment on it but I honestly haven't thought about sumo for most of December...

hopefully this one will be more exciting than the last one. nice to see shohozan at komusubi, hopefully he can hold it down.

going to be keeping an eye on iwasaki and osunaarashi in makushita, both making their debut there barely having lost at all in the other divisions (iwasaki has 1 loss, osunaarashi 2). if they both keep up their current pace they could be in makuuchi this year - probably not terribly likely that they make it past juryo so quickly but we'll see

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I hope Baruto goes on a loving rampage.

Okinoumi at M10... and I remember last year reading someone well-respected among the elders saying they thought he was the next Ozeki

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Baruto leaving broken bodies in his wake and making a yokozuna run would be great. Ha, I like the specific word "rampage" for that though. Makes me imagine him just going nuts and wrecking the place.

I think Harumafuji will do better this tournament. I was reading something about some open practice matches where he and Hakuho were 5-5. Promising, but of course that's not when it counts. I think Osunaarashi will have a harder time going through makushita let alone juryo where I think he'll hit a wall.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I hope for a Baruto comeback but leg injuries can be tricky and long lasting. If he does well this basho and stays healthy I'll see it as a big step in the right direction. I hope Harumafuji turns it around as well. I am also now on the Masunoyama bandwagon! hosed up heart? Nope eat poo poo, too much time off and I slide down, I'LL RISK DYING TO STAY UP HERE!

a false posted:

i think you mean Masunoyama.

You are right and I'm a fool. Thank you for correcting.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 9, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

I am also now on the Miyabiyama bandwagon! hosed up heart? Nope eat poo poo, too much time off and I slide down, I'LL RISK DYING TO STAY UP HERE!

i think you mean Masunoyama.

Dr.Radical posted:

I think Osunaarashi will have a harder time going through makushita let alone juryo where I think he'll hit a wall.

i would have thought so until i saw his matches last basho, it seems like he's improved his yotsu game vastly and knows how to do something other than slap now. as long as he keeps working on his technique i think he'll be ok.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I'm really hoping Harumafuji does a lot better, but as always just looking forward to good sumo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
drat, the tournament starts tonight. I think I might just have to stay up and actually watch it. Excited to see what the first day holds!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvxW8AJZ-U

The matches from the first day. Good to see Takanoyama again.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Baruto v Toyohibiki, Baruto's looking good, probably good enough to make it to 10 wins, barring another injury.

Also, what's up with Homasho? He's on the banzuke but didn't appear today.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Baruto Can't really get a much better win than that, can you? I don't think he should have a problem getting 8 wins, especially if most of his opponents are maegashira. I generally don't notice sekiwake too much. What's their schedule like? Or did the kyokai make his schedule with him specifically in mind?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Aran is becoming one of my favorite wrestlers now that he's sworn off Henka.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I find myself cheering him on a lot, but I cringed when he tried to push Gagamaru out. He wasted a great opportunity for a throw, which seems to pretty much always work on Gagamaru. Unfortunately, his loss was well deserved because he did not play that match smart at all.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Just Winging It posted:

Baruto v Toyohibiki, Baruto's looking good, probably good enough to make it to 10 wins, barring another injury.

Also, what's up with Homasho? He's on the banzuke but didn't appear today.

Tore his rotator cuff and needs a month off to heal after surgery. He didn't submit his medical certificate until today (the 13th), so he was listed on the banzuke but didn't wrestle.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnSi8hIxfx0

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 2 comments:

Oh man what a snoozer! Looked like no one really tried aside from 2 matches.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2, at least Harumafuji seems to have gone back to his more effective style, but that's about it for today.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Baruto: I wasn't so sure yesterday, but after today it's obvious he's still not back to normal. I thought it was a bad sign for him to let Toyohibiki push him back so hard at the tachiai, but getting pushed out today by Kotoshogiku shows he's really not the immovable wall of tournaments past. I really hope he can get his 10, but early losses seem to really demoralize him, so going up against the ozeki this early does not bode well.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

seorin posted:

Baruto: I wasn't so sure yesterday, but after today it's obvious he's still not back to normal. I thought it was a bad sign for him to let Toyohibiki push him back so hard at the tachiai, but getting pushed out today by Kotoshogiku shows he's really not the immovable wall of tournaments past. I really hope he can get his 10, but early losses seem to really demoralize him, so going up against the ozeki this early does not bode well.

I agree, also like I said,leg injuries are tricky. He may still be afraid to really absorb shock and drive with that knee. If he can't plant then he's gonna need to start henka-ing or sidestepping and using his hip a lot more.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Baruto Hmmmm, I'm not totally convinced that him losing to Kotoshogiku proves anything. It seems like most rikishi fold when Kotoshogiku gets them into his bumping position. I will admit it didn't look like an especially hard fought match, though.

Aran I agree with you guys. After swearing off henka, I'm definitely rooting for Aran. Let's see if he can get further.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I came here just to comment about Aran, but efb x2.

Dude has taken a Luis Suarez 180 in the past couple of basho. Hated villain to legitimate fan favorite just from making a visible effort to ditch the bad behavior.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

I agree, also like I said,leg injuries are tricky. He may still be afraid to really absorb shock and drive with that knee. If he can't plant then he's gonna need to start henka-ing or sidestepping and using his hip a lot more.

i think that's especially obvious since he literally holds that leg in the air as if he's afraid to put it down for almost the whole match. watch again and look how he hovers with it

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgmX15ct4e0. More interesting than yesterday :v:.

Goeido v Baruto, iffy leg or not, feeble attempts like this aren't going to cut it anyway.

Toyonoshima v Harumafuji, like I said, more interesting than almost all of yesterday combined.

Hakuho v Myogiryu, perfect timing for Myogiryu to win when he's back at maegashira.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hokuho always looks so graceful even when losing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Tochiouzan vs. Kisenosato Tochiouzan really has a way of dispatching with ozeki... if only he could develop some consistency elsewhere. he's still pretty young though.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Goeido vs. Baruto Baruto just doesn't seem to be in it. Looks like he immediately gave up when he didn't get his grip. No way he makes 10 wins unless he really turns it around and rattles off 7 or 8 in a row.

Toyonoshima vs. Harumafuji Now that's a great match! Really made up for yesterday.

Hakuho vs. Myogiryu Hakuho looked like he didn't know whether to go for the underhook or go over and while he was making up his mind he lost. Zabuton!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just out of curiosity, are there any oppositions to quitting the spoiler tags on everything? It was a good idea initially, but lately it's resulted in entire posts where the only thing visible are the names of the wrestler. I'd suggest whoever posts the link to just add some empty space to the linked post and then add the commentary in a follow-up post. I have insane peripheral speed-reading abilities and wouldn't have anything spoiled for me just with a little separation between the link and the commentary, let alone mass spoiler tags.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I personally don't mind them but they're not entirely necessary.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why dont I ever see big beautiful, heavy rear end niggers doing this?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Xn222q8I

Ouch, not a good day to be an ozeki.

E: Ooh, that was a close one for Harumafuji.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

Just out of curiosity, are there any oppositions to quitting the spoiler tags on everything? It was a good idea initially, but lately it's resulted in entire posts where the only thing visible are the names of the wrestler. I'd suggest whoever posts the link to just add some empty space to the linked post and then add the commentary in a follow-up post. I have insane peripheral speed-reading abilities and wouldn't have anything spoiled for me just with a little separation between the link and the commentary, let alone mass spoiler tags.

First of all, awesome thread. I've really enjoyed reading through this and learning about / watching the sumo. The current tournament is the first I've followed from day one and I find I'm really looking forward to the matches each morning.

I don't don't think the spoiler tags are 100% necessary, but it is something that I've appreciated people doing. I wouldn't complain if they went away, but I do like them for whatever my opinion may be worth.

Also a few questions:

Is there any significance to the color of the mawashi? I noticed that in one of the recent videos it was mentioned that it may be time for one of the sumo to retire his gold mawashi. Was the person uploading the video being snarky or is there an actual reasoning behind the comment/color?

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

anakha posted:

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Xn222q8I

Ouch, not a good day to be an ozeki.

E: Ooh, that was a close one for Harumafuji.

This thread has got me into sumo, so kudos to the OP and posters. Question time! Obviously my perception is tainted because [s]he's[s] Harumafuji winning and I don't know jack about Sumo, but it seems like he looking a lot better than the last two Bashos. Incidently, is there anything behind the Yokozuna's stances at the start of the fight, or just personal preference. I've noticed that Hakuho always has the same stance with one arm on his right leg, and always seems to put his fists down second. Does anything govern that?

e: actually I am both illiterate and meant to say Harumafuji

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 16, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This thread has got me into sumo, so kudos to the OP and posters. Question time! Obviously my perception is tainted because he's winning and I don't know jack about Sumo, but it seems like he looking a lot better than the last two Bashos. Incidently, is there anything behind the Yokozuna's stances at the start of the fight, or just personal preference. I've noticed that Hakuho always has the same stance with one arm on his right leg, and always seems to put his fists down second. Does anything govern that?

I'm assuming you meant Hakuho in the first couple of sentences? I wasn't quite sure who you were talking about until you mentioned his stance at the end. In any case I think your perception is right, although he hasn't looked as invincible as he used to before the rise of Harumafuji (and to some extent, Kisenosato and Kotoshogiku). As far as the stance, that's just preference, although it does seem that the majority of wrestlers give higher-ranked wrestlers the courtesy of the final touch. You'll notice that often Kiseonosato does that long extension of one arm right before touching down, and Kotoshogiku does a little bit of a flourish with putting his second fist down as well. But yesterday, 'Giku was up against a tough opponent for him and I noticed that he skipped the flourish to try and get that extra split-second on Goeido, who still ended up defeating him.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is there any significance to the color of the mawashi? I noticed that in one of the recent videos it was mentioned that it may be time for one of the sumo to retire his gold mawashi. Was the person uploading the video being snarky or is there an actual reasoning behind the comment/color?

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

I don't know about overall significance to the mawashi, so maybe someone else can chime in on that. However, I know that Kintamayama was just joking about retiring the new gold mawashi that Shouhouzan started wearing for this tournament, since he lost his first 3 matches in a row.

Anyways, I think moving forward let's skip the spoiler tags except on the first daily post with the video link. If you post the video link, either spoiler your immediate comments or leave a little space and comment in another reply. Let the comments fly freely from that point.

Day 4: finally some excitement! I heart me some yotsu-sumo. All the boring one-sided oshidashis were getting on my nerves. Hell of an exciting series with the sanyaku especially. Tochinoshin and Aran are such loving goons, I love them.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
You'd figure that Kotooshu would have a clue as to how to use his height to his advantage, but I guess he's just the most :effort: rikishi around when not in danger of demotion.

Harumafuji's stance almost cost him the match today. Starting that far from the baulk nearly made him come up short at the tachi-ai.

As for Takanoyama, http://www.youtube.com/user/araibira/videos?query=takanoyama. Or just search araibira's Youtube channel.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Yeah, Harumafuji's tachi-ai was just plain weird. Baruto's match had me on the edge of my seat, though. Hooooly poo poo. Of course, as expected, Hakuho is starting to get mean after his loss yesterday. Dude's got some ego issues I think.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
gently caress it, I'm going with the spoiler tags until we decide not to.

Firstly, Takanoyama. Has anyone else thought this dude looks even SMALLER than he has before?

Aran Good win. I was hopeful when I saw his record against the other rikishi. I really like that Kintamayama shows the rikishi's record against each other. It kind of lets me know what to expect which leads to me being surprised often times, which I like.

Ozeki/Yokozuna matches Wow, today's were good. I always enjoy seeing Kakuryu lose and even more so when it's to one of my favorite rikishi, Aminishiki. Baruto's win was really interesting. He didn't seem to put much weight on his injured knee and his apparent plan was to let Kisenosato get him close to the edge and then throw him with the momentum. Only took like 3 tries! I guess he got lucky Kisenosato couldn't finish the job. Harumafuji's match was weird. He almost lost it at the tachiai but then threw Kyokutenho across and out of the ring dominantly.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Just got to watch day four on my lunch break, and really enjoyed it. Baruto:This match was the first match where the tension really got to me. I watched this one a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
The tournament is getting better. I agree with the Hakuho observation. I don't know about ego or any of that but he bounces back with a vengeance. Remember the basho before last, when he was knocking people out with that elbow? He seems like a gritty guy.

It looks like Harumafuji is also starting to find his groove, he recovered well and really dominated his match. I think that Baruto is now looking to adjust his game plan around that knee and take less shock and probably try that "Toro!" move again.