Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't think we're getting more. The movie was 18mil short of even just making back its production budget. I'd be pretty shocked if this got a sequel (but really happy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I doubt we'll get a sequel unless it makes a ton of money on DVD. Then maybe the sequel will be direct-to-DVD.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You're making sense, for a start. Dredd as a stormtrooper with a name is an interesting take that I haven't heard before, but it does fit - even though a number of artists have drawn Dredd's face.

The reason people miss the satire in Dredd is because it works both as a satire and the thing it satirizes, namely violent action stories. Maverick cops shooting up the world to catch criminals and not being held accountable is stock in trade for the movies, but Dredd takes it one step further by having Dredd's excessive violence be legally permissible. It's the logical extension: if violent cops catch the criminals other cops can't, why not make violence standard operating procedure and catch more criminals? Dredd by himself is not satire, the satire is that in the Judge system he's not a maverick. Far from it - he's held up as the example of what a cop should be.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 13, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The moment of excessive force that Dredd uses in the film is when he raids the drug den. He shoots to kill without offering the crooks inside a chance to surrender. He doesn't use flashbangs or tear gas. Granted, he only kills the armed ones, but I believe this is more than what modern police are permitted to do. The rest of his kills are self-defence or to protect innocent life.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jedit posted:

You're making sense, for a start. Dredd as a stormtrooper with a name is an interesting take that I haven't heard before, but it does fit - even though a number of artists have drawn Dredd's face.

The reason people miss the satire in Dredd is because it works both as a satire and the thing it satirizes, namely violent action stories. Maverick cops shooting up the world to catch criminals and not being held accountable is stock in trade for the movies, but Dredd takes it one step further by having Dredd's excessive violence be legally permissible. It's the logical extension: if violent cops catch the criminals other cops can't, why not make violence standard operating procedure and catch more criminals? Dredd by himself is not satire, the satire is that in the Judge system he's not a maverick. Far from it - he's held up as the example of what a cop should be.

It also shows that, most importantly, it really sucks when this is the case. One is supposed to watch Dredd and think "I do not want society to go in this direction." It's just showing reality negatively exaggerated; how can that not be satire?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

The moment of excessive force that Dredd uses in the film is when he raids the drug den. He shoots to kill without offering the crooks inside a chance to surrender. He doesn't use flashbangs or tear gas. Granted, he only kills the armed ones, but I believe this is more than what modern police are permitted to do. The rest of his kills are self-defence or to protect innocent life.

He didn't have to use such a tortured method to kill the hostage taker at the start.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He might have used that special round to guarantee a swift clean kill that would minimize the risk of him shooting the hostage - remember that Dredd was trying to save a hostage from a homicidal maniac. Besides, I'm not sure how much worse a hotshot round is compared to a bullet through the face.

Christ, I'm rehashing arguments I made several pages ago.

Bandamyion
Oct 22, 2008
He blows the door off and anyone still pointing a gun at him gets a bullet. Plus fatty. Seems pretty standard. Have you read the dredd stories where they bust a whole block and kick everyones door in. Got to be guilty of something. 20 illegal vids @ 1 month each in the cubes!!

Shame about the box-office. Hope it clears-up on DVD. If not, see you in 17 years :V

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

He might have used that special round to guarantee a swift clean kill that would minimize the risk of him shooting the hostage - remember that Dredd was trying to save a hostage from a homicidal maniac. Besides, I'm not sure how much worse a hotshot round is compared to a bullet through the face.

Christ, I'm rehashing arguments I made several pages ago.

That's because your arguments make no sense. An incendiary round is never going to minimize the risk of harming a hostage because extreme heat can make tendons contract. And honestly, if you're asking questions like "is being set on fire really worse than dying instantly?" you can't expect to be taken seriously.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bandamyion posted:

Have you read the dredd stories where they bust a whole block and kick everyones door in. Got to be guilty of something. 20 illegal vids @ 1 month each in the cubes!!
I really wish the movie had something like this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bandamyion posted:

In a slum block with 96% unemployment, the only Med-Center in the block, run by the Justice Department (the State) has a sign above the door reading "No Creds No Meds".

How is that not funny? Dredd's subtle satire at work :)

Its an amazing film and I love it! Took it's time but there it is. More please :)

Or the homeless guy with the "Will debase for credits" begging sign.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

etalian posted:

I missed that. Awesome. :D

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

etalian posted:

Unrealistic, too big of a word for a homeless poor guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Baron Bifford is doing a Dredd on this thread.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

etalian posted:

I laughed when he said "megablocks." Does that count?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Bandamyion posted:

In a slum block with 96% unemployment, the only Med-Center in the block, run by the Justice Department (the State) has a sign above the door reading "No Creds No Meds".

How is that not funny? Dredd's subtle satire at work :)

Its an amazing film and I love it! Took it's time but there it is. More please :)

One of the strengths of Dredd is that it doesn't get too in-your-face with the satire. It's present throughout the entire film, but the film is also just a straight drug bust story that's pretty good on its own. This isn't idiocracy, it's more Starship Troopers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

I felt the same thing (people are going to hate me for bringing this up again). The food court joke was really the only truly satirical moment in the film. Everything else is played pretty straight. There's a lot of extreme violence, but extreme violence is not satire.

There's a difference between "satire" and "jokes".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mechafunkzilla posted:

40k is really an amalgamation of all types of influences from popular science fiction and fantasy. It's even got very clearly 2000AD-inspired "judges" who look like this:

Yea, i mean, what else would a nerdy brit in the late 80s be looking at? 2000AD seems perfect.

For one thing, there are planets in the 40k universe were cities have grown up, not out, so giant spires called Hives house billions of people, not unlike the Blocks of mega-city.

Also, just the general dystopian misery, the high tech combined with low tech, the cheapness of life, oppressive government. Dredd is missing the religious fanaticism of 40k, but still.

The older space cop models they have are way more 2000AD looking
http://i.imgur.com/OmQ2z.jpg

The boots are straight out of Dredd.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Totally chuckled when he said "megablocks".

Deathroller
May 10, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, i mean, what else would a nerdy brit in the late 80s be looking at? 2000AD seems perfect.

For one thing, there are planets in the 40k universe were cities have grown up, not out, so giant spires called Hives house billions of people, not unlike the Blocks of mega-city.

Also, just the general dystopian misery, the high tech combined with low tech, the cheapness of life, oppressive government. Dredd is missing the religious fanaticism of 40k, but still.

The older space cop models they have are way more 2000AD looking
http://i.imgur.com/OmQ2z.jpg

The boots are straight out of Dredd.

I wouldn't be surprised if another 2000ad story, Nemesis the Warlock, had more influence on Warhammer 40,000 than Judge Dredd did.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Director Pete Travis talks about the possibility of a sequel to Dredd

Pete Travis posted:

“Whoever gets a chance to do the others will take that, and make it even more exciting. I can’t wait to see it. I don’t really know how the sequel thing works, really. I hope they get another chance to make a second film. I think Karl Urban…He is Dredd. It would be really exciting for them to make another, and go further with that character. I sincerely hope so…”

Well, let's hope so too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A quick note for any UK goons looking to try Dredd - HMV have Case Files 1-4 and Origins in their Blue Cross sale, which brings the price down to £7.50 per volume. It's not going to get much better than that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any examples of a movie which bombed initially being redeemed financially through a sequel? I mean a sequel would theoritically function as an advertisement for the original as well, but I dont know if that would play out enough to make it worthwhile.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

massive spider posted:

Are there any examples of a movie which bombed initially being redeemed financially through a sequel? I mean a sequel would theoritically function as an advertisement for the original as well, but I dont know if that would play out enough to make it worthwhile.

I think Austin Powers is one example. I know the second one made more in first three days of release than the first one did in it's entire theatrical run.

Khoryos
May 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

That's because your arguments make no sense. An incendiary round is never going to minimize the risk of harming a hostage because extreme heat can make tendons contract. And honestly, if you're asking questions like "is being set on fire really worse than dying instantly?" you can't expect to be taken seriously.

I'm pulling this entirely out of my arse here, but you notice how the hotshot went in through his mouth then cooked his head? Minimal risk of blood-splatter and transmission of super-hep, or whatever nasty-rear end blood-borne diseases are in the future.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Davros1 posted:

I think Austin Powers is one example. I know the second one made more in first three days of release than the first one did in it's entire theatrical run.

Austin Powers still made several times its budget back in the initial theatre run but didnt really gain a massive following until video.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's been a while since I've seen the movie (it's not out on DVD in Cal-Hab yet) but doesn't the guy scream when the hotshot is burning up his head? It seemed obvious to me that it was more painful and slower than the instant death of a bullet in the brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Austin Powers still made several times its budget back in the initial theatre run but didnt really gain a massive following until video.

I can think of a genre film that only took off on video and is getting a sequel: Blade Runner. It doesn't fit the bill here, of course, because the sequel hasn't been successful yet.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And for an example with Karl Urban, the Riddick sequel has done well enough on DVD to justify a third instalment.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I never got to see this in the theater but picked it up day one on blu ray. Put it into my ps3 and it would not play. It makes some sound like it is trying to eject the disk and nothing happens. Took it back and the new copy did the same thing. I am on the 3rd copy and it is doing the same thing. Every other movie I have plays fine on the ps3.

I found out this morning on a whim that dredd plays fine in all my other blu ray players. Its just the ps3 that dredd hates. I looked around on the internet and others seem to be having this issue. So If you get a copy that does not work on a ps3, try another player. I would assume there needs to be an update to the ps3 (I have the latest version on a non slim ps3) or something to make it work.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

badjohny posted:

I never got to see this in the theater but picked it up day one on blu ray. Put it into my ps3 and it would not play. It makes some sound like it is trying to eject the disk and nothing happens. Took it back and the new copy did the same thing. I am on the 3rd copy and it is doing the same thing. Every other movie I have plays fine on the ps3.

I found out this morning on a whim that dredd plays fine in all my other blu ray players. Its just the ps3 that dredd hates. I looked around on the internet and others seem to be having this issue. So If you get a copy that does not work on a ps3, try another player. I would assume there needs to be an update to the ps3 (I have the latest version on a non slim ps3) or something to make it work.

On the other hand, I just watched it yesterday on mine with no issues, and I also have the latest firmware on a non slim PS3.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I didn't really notice how good Dredd looked in 3D until I saw the 2D version. Some scenes just looked really odd in 2D and didn't look anywhere near as good as they did in 3D.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

Crappy Jack posted:

On the other hand, I just watched it yesterday on mine with no issues, and I also have the latest firmware on a non slim PS3.

I have a similar issue with the DVD of TDK on my laptop, and yet it plays fine in an ancient DVD player.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

massive spider posted:

Birdemic. :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

badjohny posted:

I've got a Playstation Slim that absolutely refuses to play this, I'm on my fourth copy from a third retailer. (2 from Best Buy, 1 from Target, now 1 from Costco). The two best buy ones wouldn't play on a god drat thing. The Target one played after around 15 minutes on an ancient Sony player I had laying around but had terrible Audio/Frame dropout, and the one from Costco will play on my PC blu-ray player not on the PS3 or the ancient Sony that my 3rd copy did play on.

:psyduck:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Messed up - it's obviously not the discs and something in your setup is borked.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm having issues with the blu-ray as well. The movie itself fortunately plays fine, but the bonus featurettes (which I was really looking forward to) do not. Only the first one ("35 years of Judge Dredd) seems to even exist. I go to "extras" and that's the only thing there.

When I first popped it in it had a message saying my player doesn't support 3D content. OK, no big deal, I never cared. But if the majority of the special features on the disc are unsupported "3D content," that is some bullshit. It seems like I'm not the only one having bad issues with this stupid hybrid disc, and now I really wish I had been able to just buy a no-frills 2D blu-ray and let the people with fancy players pick out the fancy version.

This ended up being one of my favorite movies of the year, despite its commercial failure, and I was excited to learn more about the design and production of the actual film. Joke's on me! Maybe that poo poo will show up on youtube...

Edit:

TheJoker138 posted:

All that works fine on my blu ray, and I got the same message. You just have to hit either up and down or left and right after you hit "enter" on special features. Don't know what else to tell you.

I assure you I was hittin' those buttons like crazy! I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid.

Edit #2:

I tried loving around in the menu some more and I figured out what was wrong. It was some user error on my part but I'm not as stupid as I thought I might be. I had to hit "down" before I hit any other arrow keys or it wouldn't work, and I guess it was never the first thing I tried. A lot of the time on a blu-ray menu "down" boots you back to the main menu, but on this one the left-right arrows do that. There is even a subtle down arrow on the screen but it was so goddamn subtle I didn't notice it until well after I'd figured out what was up.

So, long story short, I'm pretty stupid. Also, the FX featurette is pretty neat.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 14, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm having issues with the blu-ray as well. The movie itself fortunately plays fine, but the bonus featurettes (which I was really looking forward to) do not. Only the first one ("35 years of Judge Dredd) seems to even exist. I go to "extras" and that's the only thing there.

When I first popped it in it had a message saying my player doesn't support 3D content. OK, no big deal, I never cared. But if the majority of the special features on the disc are unsupported "3D content," that is some bullshit. It seems like I'm not the only one having bad issues with this stupid hybrid disc, and now I really wish I had been able to just buy a no-frills 2D blu-ray and let the people with fancy players pick out the fancy version.

This ended up being one of my favorite movies of the year, despite its commercial failure, and I was excited to learn more about the design and production of the actual film. Joke's on me! Maybe that poo poo will show up on youtube...

All that works fine on my blu ray, and I got the same message. You just have to hit either up and down or left and right after you hit "enter" on special features. Don't know what else to tell you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Despite being really short features was nice seeing how the did all the practical effects and also the overall visual design for the movie.

Pretty amazing how a majority of the slow-mo scenes were done using practical effects such as blasting the stunt men with compressed air during the gruesome room storming scene to simulate the shock wave and bullet impacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I have a slim PS3 fully updated and it played fine. I loved it the second time and noticed a few little things, I missed the first time.

Like how Anderson stares at the graffiti saying No Muties Allowed.

Also, Mama mentions something about one of the Sectors they may expand to being "Red". What does that mean? And what's the deal with the red and black leather jacket hanging with all her guns. It looked bloody.

I am a bit disappointed that we probably won't be seeing a sequel, because I was actually liking Anderson more than Dredd the second time around, and wanted to see more of that character.

• Locked thread