Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

escape artist posted:

Anyone interested in a film school, film making and film dissecting thread? So far only one member is in.

always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just watched the original The Day The Earth Stood Still, and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the ending. Aliens tell humanity to stop being so violent and destructive? Okay. Aliens tell humanity to stop being violent and destructive, under threat of having their planet destroyed? The hell?

I almost want a sequel done, based off a short story I once read. Martians tell humanity to stop launching nuclear rockets. Humans agree. Martians make plans to invade Earth. Humans drop bombs onto each Martian city through some other scientific device.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 7, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It's an ultimatum. His race realizes humanity is on the verge of space travel and is chock full of nuclear weapons and paranoia. Rather than have humans zooming through the stars nuking other races because they're ooky, he tells them they need to shape up or they'll just deal with the problem before it occurs. The implication is that every starfaring race hits this point in their evolution and must make a similar decision or get wiped out.

Edit: Reading the Wikipedia summary it notes that he specifically mentions they'll destroy humanity if they bring violence into space, implying his race doesn't give a rat's rear end if humanity nukes the Earth to oblivion as long as it's not in their backyard. I'll have to rewatch the movie to see if that's actually the case.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 7, 2013

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It's Plan 9 From Outer Space only with robots instead of zombies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

The implication is that every starfaring race hits this point in their evolution and must make a similar decision or get wiped out.

Right, but he's saying promoting his society, saying its a peaceful society, free of aggression and violence... except for the aggressively violent robots keeping everyone cowed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MisterBibs posted:

Right, but he's saying promoting his society, saying its a peaceful society, free of aggression and violence... except for the aggressively violent robots keeping everyone cowed.

Mankind is incapable of governing itself, so it creates gods to do so for them.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wrong thread

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 7, 2013

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The particularly self-righteous countries are the ones that start the most wars. Usually in the name of righteousness.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 7, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I remember an old IMDb board post asking if George W Bush was inspired by Klaatu's speech.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Just watched A Nightmare Before Christmas, and the visuals and music were great, but as far as the story goes, is there some kind of 'lesson' I missed? I know not all children's entertainment has to be didactic but it seemed like they were building towards something regarding the meaning of Christmas, but in the end Jack and the residents of Halloween Town remain ignorant.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Just watched A Nightmare Before Christmas, and the visuals and music were great, but as far as the story goes, is there some kind of 'lesson' I missed? I know not all children's entertainment has to be didactic but it seemed like they were building towards something regarding the meaning of Christmas, but in the end Jack and the residents of Halloween Town remain ignorant.

"Don't try to be something you're not," I think...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
And also not being too self-absorbed to notice those who care about you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Snak posted:

"Don't try to be something you're not," I think...

Kind of ironic coming from Tim Burton. . .

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Why does Dr Strangelove look like poo poo?

Kubrick is my favorite director. My top 3 favorite movies are Kubrick movies. But I've never been able to watch Dr Strangelove all the way through, partly because it looks like poo poo. It's not low-key photography: it's dark and muddy. It's low-contrast. Zero details in the shadows. Most screencaps you could make of the movie have no shape because of this. It obfuscates composition and even being able to see what's going on. I've seen his earlier and later movies, and I can't make sense of this outlier. Can somebody tell me that it's just a bad transfer, and this isn't what it looked like in the theater?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mescal posted:

Why does Dr Strangelove look like poo poo?

Kubrick is my favorite director. My top 3 favorite movies are Kubrick movies. But I've never been able to watch Dr Strangelove all the way through, partly because it looks like poo poo. It's not low-key photography: it's dark and muddy. It's low-contrast. Zero details in the shadows. Most screencaps you could make of the movie have no shape because of this. It obfuscates composition and even being able to see what's going on. I've seen his earlier and later movies, and I can't make sense of this outlier. Can somebody tell me that it's just a bad transfer, and this isn't what it looked like in the theater?

What were you watching it on? Because that movie looks gorgeoussss.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

Stark, high contrast.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 9, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Why are you allowing him to see the big board?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

penismightier posted:

What were you watching it on? Because that movie looks gorgeoussss.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

Stark, high contrast.

I watched it on DVD and saw some of it on tv last night.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mescal posted:

I think the DVD transfer was supposed to be bad but my Blu-Ray copy is perfect.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, a lot of the scenes are probably kind of dark since they're all indoors, bit otherwise it looks great. Maybe the DVD wasn't good, but the bluray is actually a transfer of a 4k restoration. So I guess the answer is: watch the bluray version.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

escape artist posted:

Anyone interested in a film school, film making and film dissecting thread? So far only one member is in.

Definitely interested, I've been waiting for someone to post a thread like that, but didn't want to request it since I don't really post in CD.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Would it be possible to create a visual diagram that accurately depicts the timeline of events in Primer in a way that visually explains what happened in the film?
I guess to clarify, If I started to make a diagram that accurately depicts the timeline of events in Primer am I going to realize that the timeline is full of plot holes and can't be completed?

I read through this but my brain still isn't making all the connections.

Odd question I know, but for some reason I really want to make this.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

schwenz posted:

Would it be possible to create a visual diagram that accurately depicts the timeline of events in Primer in a way that visually explains what happened in the film?
I guess to clarify, If I started to make a diagram that accurately depicts the timeline of events in Primer am I going to realize that the timeline is full of plot holes and can't be completed?

Something like this? (Linked so as not to spoil anything for anyone.)

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg

(Edited to fix link)

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Yeah the Primer diagrams get a little convuluted.

The basic loop in this...

http://jaced.com/blogpix/2012/primertimetravel.jpg

...makes this diagram a little easier to comprehend:

http://badscifi.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/primer-timeline.gif

It's only a timeline though and doesn't show the events as they happen.

Linked so they don't spoil anything.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Knightmare posted:

I don't think it's possible to spoil Primer.

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!

Knightmare posted:

When I watched it I got the impression that the audience was supposed to get a little lost and overwhelmed, illustrating just how hosed the guys were.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mescal posted:

Dr. Strangelove has always looked kind of ratty until the 4K restoration used for the Blu-Ray. The old DVD used a 1992 transfer made from a duplicate negative that wasn't in the best shape. Sony's 40th anniversary DVD used Kubrick's archival 35mm print. The Blu-Ray used a new 4K digital restoration created from a mix of a fine-grain positive (high quality duplication-only print made from the negative), the duplicate negative, and Kubrick's print. You can hardly tell it used a mix of elements since it looks like a brand new movie. But a grainier dark look actually works in the film's favor.

They couldn't use the negative since it was lost in the 1960s after being shipped to Europe after the US release.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I religiously read the "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen" thread and envy each and every one of the posters able to write about subtext and cinematography as I'm a very shallow viewer.
Are there any (good) books or anything else that would help me appreciate the finer details of film?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

schwenz posted:

Primer operates under the same principles as those Calvin and Hobbes comics where Calvin just writes the words "time machine" on the side of a cardboard box and then it works.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
any movie with dinosaurs also has to have someone pronounce "dinosaur" like Mr. DNA. Dino-sauwer!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gmq posted:

I religiously read the "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen" thread and envy each and every one of the posters able to write about subtext and cinematography as I'm a very shallow viewer.
Are there any (good) books or anything else that would help me appreciate the finer details of film?

Not film, but this works as a decent primer on subtext etc. http://www.amazon.com/Literary-Theory-Very-Short-Introduction/dp/B007SRWUL0

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

gmq posted:

I'm not a CD regular. That said, know that most everything in a film, no matter how early it's introduced, is intended to be soaked into your knowledge for later in the film. Rarely is information shown to you that doesn't have any impact on the rest of the film. They are trying to take a huge story/character/plot-line and present it to you in a limited time. They reward those who pay attention to subtle clues. Or sometimes they just give an explanation. It probably varies for everyone but I got a greater appreciation once I actually paid attention.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gmq posted:

This comes up a lot but seriously, pay attention to commercials. By definition they have to cram visual information into less than a minute, usually accompanying dialog which may have almost nothing to do with what's on the screen. If you can figure out what a commercial is trying to imply or associate with their product, you can "get" practically any movie beyond the plot.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Quick question:

I know I've seen a trailer for a brutal medieval action movie that not that old about a couple of dudes that have to defend a castle from an invading army.
Ring any bells? Been on my mind for awhile.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hellbunny posted:

Quick question:

I know I've seen a trailer for a brutal medieval action movie that not that old about a couple of dudes that have to defend a castle from an invading army.
Ring any bells? Been on my mind for awhile.

Probably Ironclad, with Paul Giamatti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tpqF-zXuU

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Lobok posted:

Probably Ironclad, with Paul Giamatti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tpqF-zXuU

Yep, thanks!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm glad to see Rotten Tomatoes has removed the ability to comment on reviews. While i'm all for free speech, I know I wasn't the only one sick of seeing all fresh reviews having 0 comments, and the 2 rotten reviews having 30 comments of people saying "gently caress you" "You suck!" "You're too stupid to get this movie!".

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What's the deal with Frank Darabont?

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are both pretty huge movies, obviously Shawshank is the no.1 on iMDb and The Green Mile was a big Tom Hanks movie that got a few Academy Nominations as well.

Now he's mostly just producing TV shows, I mean I guess the Walking Dead is a big deal, but it's just surprising the guy hasn't done more movies. The last movie he directed was the Mist, which aside from being also based on a Stephen King novel, doesn't have that much in common with his other movies in style at all (I know he intentionally wanted that "grubby, documentary" look, so this must have been intentional). It was alright, but not really a huge deal.

The only answer I can see is that The Majestic tanked in 2001, but lots of directors have failures and still have a fairly strong career, so I'm just wondering if there's something else to this story.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are both pretty huge movies, obviously Shawshank is the no.1 on iMDb and The Green Mile was a big Tom Hanks movie that got a few Academy Nominations as well.

Now he's mostly just producing TV shows, I mean I guess the Walking Dead is a big deal, but it's just surprising the guy hasn't done more movies. The last movie he directed was the Mist, which aside from being also based on a Stephen King novel, doesn't have that much in common with his other movies in style at all (I know he intentionally wanted that "grubby, documentary" look, so this must have been intentional). It was alright, but not really a huge deal.

The only answer I can see is that The Majestic tanked in 2001, but lots of directors have failures and still have a fairly strong career, so I'm just wondering if there's something else to this story.

Darabont is a bit of an egotistical jackass, especially after all the praise he got for Shawshank and Green Mile, and he's got a reputation for being rather difficult to work with (which is why AMC fired him from The Walking Dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Mist didn't have a "grubby, documentary" look, it was shot like an episode of The Twilight Zone. The Bluray even has a B&W version on it that is way better than the color version.