Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
thousands of posts later, this thread is still poo poo. ban everyone. close yospos. salt the earf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
you're in a bad mood dr. Whats up?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ratbert90 vs tiny bug child. nobody wins

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

the thing that confuses me is it says at one part of the article that the controls of the two pilots are averaged together. why would you ever design a plane like that!?

every other plane does that, but they have force feedback so you can tell what the other pilot is doing

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

every other plane does that, but they have force feedback so you can tell what the other pilot is doing

every plane ui is poo poo?!?!?! :wth:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
imagine the lockhorns flyingn a plane

they plane will split into two directions :xd:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

every plane ui is poo poo?!?!?! :wth:

okay so two pilots are holding levers connected to the same tension cables/hydraulics/computers that operate the control surfaces hanging off the back of the wings and tail

One pushes forwards, and the other pulls back

in some WWI era biplane the stronger one wins, if they're evenly matched they'll feel it remain in the center

in some 1970s hydraulic poo poo the stronger one wins, if they're evenly matched they'll feel it remain in the center

with a stick that only has a certain amount of travel, it'll remain in the center

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't fly on French planes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

don't fly on French planes

yeah it's really

1) airbus (French & German) doesn't have force feedback so pilots can't intuit what the other pilot is doing

2) Thales (French?) made an air speed sensor that had a hosed heater, when it broke the computer said "I can't do this without reliable speed information, have fun shitlords"

3) air France (French) might have a training/crew resource management problem, basically NASA invented this poo poo and airlines that use it make fewer human errors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is probably the most mind blowing fact to realise how far we've come in air travel

iut blows my mind much more than say computer tech or something.

100 years ago we didnt have 747s but then leonardio decaprio becomes a famous plane builder and builds passenger aircraft from his dried urine

and now we can fly to the other world and we just get on a plane and we arrive at dfestination

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

prefect posted:

code:
use strict;
use warnings;
4 lyfe
tbh warnings is more important than strict

use strict is mostly about keeping scrub-tier programmers from doing scrub-tier things. (although `no strict 'refs'` in its own scope is a kind of useful idiom: 'I meant to do this, honest'; but it is rarely needed)

use warnings FATAL => 'all' is what keeps everyday lapses and sins in check

even better is strictures which throws in a few extra tests to prevent other fuckups

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Condiv posted:

the thing that confuses me is it says at one part of the article that the controls of the two pilots are averaged together. why would you ever design a plane like that!?

yospos bithc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

I'm just used to it. It takes all of 3 seconds to type int i; and if it means I get to actually use a programming language that can shift bits and mess with GPIO pins/memory registers, then that's a-ok with me. :unsmith:

when windows batch programming apparently fits your needs, your criteria might need more thought

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

echinopsis posted:

it is probably the most mind blowing fact to realise how far we've come in air travel

iut blows my mind much more than say computer tech or something.

100 years ago we didnt have 747s but then leonardio decaprio becomes a famous plane builder and builds passenger aircraft from his dried urine

and now we can fly to the other world and we just get on a plane and we arrive at dfestination

ten years ago we had steve jobs, bob hope, and jonny cash

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

lol this thread is 330 pages of [$language I used for 15 minutes once] SUCKS because [feature I am bad at/don't understand]

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Socracheese posted:

lol this thread is 330 pages of [$language I used for 15 minutes once] SUCKS because [feature I am bad at/don't understand]

if i ever understand half the poo poo that went through rasmus lerdorf's head when he wrote php, i'm committing myself to a mental institution.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

1337JiveTurkey posted:

if i ever understand half the poo poo that went through rasmus lerdorf's head when he wrote php, i'm committing myself to a mental institution.

if you're that crazy, someone else will have to do it

but they won't, because you'll be living under a bridge covered in your own urine

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Socracheese posted:

Sams Teach Yourself Monads in 15 minutes or less

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

Sams Teach Yourself Monads in 15 minutes or less

eat a burrito

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beat a murrito

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
don't close this thread until duck monster posts about cobol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if i wanted to make a web thing in scala or clojure where should i start

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for clojure: noir is dead, but istr the noir maintainer's blog has a link to a bunch of libraries you can cobble into a replacement. ironically i tried to learn clojure because noir looked cool. i have since given up on clojure.

for scala: the two frameworks are "lift" and "play." both are badly documented. both have insufferable shortcomings. good luck.

p.s i didn't get very far with "play" because i hate sbt so god drat much. "lift" has a lot of problems but it kinda tastes like asp.net to me, which is not a bad thing.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
scala works on app engine apparently http://www.scala-lang.org/node/1826

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

stop and use something good instead.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cocoa Crispies posted:

stop trying to make 'web things'

find an algorithmic or design problem to solve and give a poo poo about solving it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better yet pick up a statistics book and learn how to use r to solve the problem sets

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for clojure: noir is dead, but istr the noir maintainer's blog has a link to a bunch of libraries you can cobble into a replacement. ironically i tried to learn clojure because noir looked cool. i have since given up on clojure.

for scala: the two frameworks are "lift" and "play." both are badly documented. both have insufferable shortcomings. good luck.

p.s i didn't get very far with "play" because i hate sbt so god drat much. "lift" has a lot of problems but it kinda tastes like asp.net to me, which is not a bad thing.

would you mind explaining w.r.t to shortcomings? i'm supposed to be writing a webserver in play (so far it's good).

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so far play seems decently good. one big issue i've hit with it is that 2.0 is not compatible with scala 2.10.0 at all. play 2.1 is supposed to fix this, but it's still in RC.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

would you mind explaining w.r.t to shortcomings? i'm supposed to be writing a webserver in play (so far it's good).

so far play seems decently good. one big issue i've hit with it is that 2.0 is not compatible with scala 2.10.0 at all. play 2.1 is supposed to fix this, but it's still in RC.

Play:
  1. does not support maven at all, in any way. hard requirement of sbt

2. instead of writing maven plugins like sane people, it has its own rails-like script which you are expected to use. (added bonus: now you get to have shell scripts calling 'play' instead of just longer pom.xml files)

3. doesn't produce servlets, just straight-up jars. it expects to open a socket and listen. to work with regular java hosting environments, you can either use weird hacky wrappers, or just give up. The only way to win is not to "play."

Lift:
  1. has practically no documentation. "Exploring Lift," a book written by third parties, is really it.

2. relies on a slightly cumbersome method of templating. zero code goes in templates, ZERO. instead, snippets are passed a sequence of well-formatted objects representing xhtml, and emit same. (this one, so far, does not bother me. but i can see how it would bother other people.)

3. has no support whatsoever for external session state. all Lift webapps that make use of session state tie user sessions to a single app server.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 13, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tef i love your blog but you need an editor. i know you might think you can edit yourself but you can't, you need another pair of eyes and someone with a well-worn copy of strunk and white

or you may be thinking 'my poo poo's raw nigga, worse is better', but writing doesn't work like that, and a typo or poorly constructed clause can completely break the reader's flow and make it more difficult for them to understand you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

stop and use something good instead.

but i already know rails

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

When I decided to learn a scripting language a few years ago I didn't know if I should pick python or ruby. I didn't know enough about either of them to make an informed decision and I picked python. Guess I got lucky

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Socracheese posted:

When I decided to learn a scripting language a few years ago I didn't know if I should pick python or ruby. I didn't know enough about either of them to make an informed decision and I picked python. Guess I got lucky

they're basically the same

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

maybe language-wise but lol rails

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but i already know rails

yes I realize you're coming from a bad place to start with, but going to more terrible fadworks isn't the solution. switch to asp.net mvc4 or maybe zk (I still haven't tried it yet).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

more terrible fadworks … asp.net mvc4 or maybe zk (I still haven't tried it yet).

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef i love your blog but you need an editor. i know you might think you can edit yourself but you can't, you need another pair of eyes and someone with a well-worn copy of strunk and white

i get as many people as I can to proof read it, and I fix it as best I can. the faults remaining are mine though.

some of them have had more editing, time and patience, but i've found that I lose interest if I don't just loving publish it.

once I have a bit more i'll go and prod my editor friends to rip me to shreds. i think the first thing to go will be my obvious obsession with em-dashes.

quote:

or you may be thinking 'my poo poo's raw nigga, worse is better', but writing doesn't work like that, and a typo or poorly constructed clause can completely break the reader's flow and make it more difficult for them to understand you

much of the 'style' is not really stream of consciousness, but a reflection - i may not have a good or consistent understanding of the ideas I am writing about.

i'm really doing this to get better at writing.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
shaggar was right

why bother learning a framework that will be discontinued in 2 years
you can learn that on the job

unless you want to be a start-up superstar

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Play:
  1. does not support maven at all, in any way. hard requirement of sbt

2. instead of writing maven plugins like sane people, it has its own rails-like script which you are expected to use. (added bonus: now you get to have shell scripts calling 'play' instead of just longer pom.xml files)

3. doesn't produce servlets, just straight-up jars. it expects to open a socket and listen. to work with regular java hosting environments, you can either use weird hacky wrappers, or just give up. The only way to win is not to "play."

Lift:
  1. has practically no documentation. "Exploring Lift," a book written by third parties, is really it.

2. relies on a slightly cumbersome method of templating. zero code goes in templates, ZERO. instead, snippets are passed a sequence of well-formatted objects representing xhtml, and emit same. (this one, so far, does not bother me. but i can see how it would bother other people.)

3. has no support whatsoever for external session state. all Lift webapps that make use of session state tie user sessions to a single app server.

the play stuff doesn't sound as bad as lift to me, but our office really likes maven so I guess it'll come down to whether the webserver is considered a new project or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

ps I know you guys love strunk and white but i'm a big fan of geoffry pullum

http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/~gpullum/50years.pdf