Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yay! I got a bunch of poo poo from my manager yesterday and today about how I'm still not getting enough e-mail addresses from customers. Apparently I (and most of the other newer cashiers) will be written up soon if I don't bring my numbers up. According to him, I just need to explain what it's for and "don't take no for an answer." Even though I never have time to explain since people say no before I even finish my sentence most of the time. And that's if they'll even give me their phone number (the first step of the process). Then he kind of laughed about it today since I got so frustrated I was about to cry while he was giving me this lecture. :sigh:

I've already started up the job hunt again for anything that's not retail. I can't really afford to quit until I find something else but I'm sick of this loving stupid policy and I'm just not cut out for scamming people to sign them up for spammy mailing lists so they can get a few coupons (that don't work on anything good anyway).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Switch to food service? It's hard work and it will make your back ache, but most places I've worked at have been pretty good places to work. (Albiet I've mostly just worked in pubs and such doing the cleaning. Still a pretty good job if you don't mind manual labor.)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Switch to food service? It's hard work and it will make your back ache, but most places I've worked at have been pretty good places to work. (Albiet I've mostly just worked in pubs and such doing the cleaning. Still a pretty good job if you don't mind manual labor.)

Right now I'm mostly looking into clerical work and actually just turned in my resume for a part-time office clerk position doing stuff like data entry and filing. It would be fewer hours, but I can deal with that. Not that offices don't come with their own kind of bullshit, but I used to do that kind of thing in college and it's still the best job I've had. Much more suited to my personality.

I could probably handle food service too as long as it was cleaning or something "behind the scenes." Basically I just need to find something that minimizes my contact with the public. A little I can handle, but a constant stream of people who basically have free license to treat me like poo poo all day/act like spoiled toddlers is just more than I can put up with long-term.

Also speaking of getting fewer hours, my manager gave us the big speech recently about how corporate is forcing him to cut us all down to 28 hours or less so they won't have to give us health insurance under the new healthcare laws. Of course he and everyone else dressed it up as one of those "Thanks a LOT, Obama :rolleyes: " moments while completely ignoring the fact that their employer is the one that's sleazy enough to exploit a stupid loophole to deliberately screw them out of important benefits (and wages of course.)

Of course to me it mostly means I'll be spending less time in that hellhole until I find another job. Thanks Obama! :)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

NaturalLow posted:

Right now I'm mostly looking into clerical work and actually just turned in my resume for a part-time office clerk position doing stuff like data entry and filing. It would be fewer hours, but I can deal with that. Not that offices don't come with their own kind of bullshit, but I used to do that kind of thing in college and it's still the best job I've had. Much more suited to my personality.

I could probably handle food service too as long as it was cleaning or something "behind the scenes." Basically I just need to find something that minimizes my contact with the public. A little I can handle, but a constant stream of people who basically have free license to treat me like poo poo all day/act like spoiled toddlers is just more than I can put up with long-term.

Also speaking of getting fewer hours, my manager gave us the big speech recently about how corporate is forcing him to cut us all down to 28 hours or less so they won't have to give us health insurance under the new healthcare laws. Of course he and everyone else dressed it up as one of those "Thanks a LOT, Obama :rolleyes: " moments while completely ignoring the fact that their employer is the one that's sleazy enough to exploit a stupid loophole to deliberately screw them out of important benefits (and wages of course.)

Of course to me it mostly means I'll be spending less time in that hellhole until I find another job. Thanks Obama! :)

Give this thread a glance just so you know what you're getting into. Retail and corporate are both their own special brands of hell, it's just a matter of choosing who you want to be condescended to by.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^^ Isn't that true of every job, though? Unless you're lucky enough to find someplace you both like the work and the people working there.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

^^^^ Isn't that true of every job, though? Unless you're lucky enough to find someplace you both like the work and the people working there.

Yeah, but in corporate you have a better shot at getting reasonable pay and benefits.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ladyweapon posted:

Yeah, but in corporate you have a better shot at getting reasonable pay and benefits.

It's actually a job with the local county government, so I'm not sure if that would really fall under "corporate" or not. And like I said, I've worked a few office jobs in the past and while there was definitely bullshit that I didn't like (redundant paperwork, pointless meetings, buzzwords) it was nothing compared to the poo poo I've put up with in retail. The idea of going in for another day at those jobs never filled me with feelings of dread/nausea, I never found myself on the verge of tears on the job and I didn't regularly feel the need to get drunk when I got home...so there's that I guess. :shobon:

And like NerdyNautilusGirl said, every job has its downsides and I'm keeping that in mind.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Nothing like having to work day after day and the feeling of pissing away sales because boss guy is too lazy, drunk, does poo poo orders, or don't give no fucks. There are subtle consequences of not reaching out for those sales when they're easily available.

I'm about at the end of the rope with this idiot manager. I let him do the order on two separate days during the week. Both times when we depended on those orders, we couldn't because he didn't order enough product. We got walked by our department supervisor and even he was pissed off even though he allowed this manager to be good buds with him. The second visit I saw him in the parking lot as I left and talked to him. I said "I'm not responsible for the order that's supposed to fill for the department." Before I even saw him as I was leaving I was very sad and disappointed I left the department as is, but I really couldn't do any more due to no product. I was really really upset seeing him in that parking lot knowing what he was about to see.

A lot of stuff we were out of were easy sales and we needed them. The way our company works is our hours are given on the basis of previous year's sales - %10-15. Well when we miss easy sales like this, come next year we get hosed massively. We work with the '#1 in labor' store manager, so we already get screwed pretty much every week. It's just going to be worse next year if I'm here.

I've been reflecting on how badly screwed I got in 2012:

-I got transferred out of a store that is up in $1 million from last year. This is because I had to loving deal with a massive remodel the previous year which is a huge pain in the rear end. The only reason the department and store were up in sales because the nice remodel slowly over time brought customers back.

-I got transferred to a nearby store that is down in sales from last year. This is because of the really lovely manager I work with, he called out sick every other day for about 4-5 months, and does extremely terrible orders and doesn't loving work during most of his shift.

-The reason I got transferred because he was loving his female assistant over there (good god what does she see in him) and wanted to work separate stores so they can have same vacations and days off together. She gets sent to the store I came from. So she gets sent to the store that's up $1 million (which is phenomenal) from last year and I get sent to the one down in sales. We're both assistants that are going for manager of the department and this obviously is a huge deal. I lose out because they wanted to have a loving good time together and she gets sent to the store that had millions of dollars in upgrades that I should have been at.

-It's obvious this manager I'm with has a drinking problem and this other assistant (they now live together) I mentioned feeds this problem. So he comes in shitfaced or feeling like poo poo from the previous night and doesn't put any effort into getting anything done.

Store management is really starting to get irritated but my department manager always some how gets away with it because he is the master in the art of bullshitting.

The sad part about all of this... I dealt with this bullshit before at another store with him! The only positive thing I can think of is that rumors are spreading that more transfers are being done for other reasons, hopefully I can get out of this hell hold.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I'm figuring out that I'm not really cut out for retail. I can't help but feel like a failure when I have a customer that is just outright mean. I almost walked out the other night after this particular transaction.

A lady is at the counter buying 2 gallons of milk and a candy bar. Her total is $8.xx and she hands me a $100 bill. I swipe it with my currency pen, hit $100.00 cash tendered, and drop it in my lock box (all $50s and $100s must be dropped in my lock box under the register, plus most $20s - can only have 3 $20s in my drawer). After I had already dropped her $100, she asked if she could take off one of the milks and pay for it in a separate transaction. I stopped for a minute to think, and told her no because I've already hit cash tendered and we can't change any part of the transaction after I've done that. She scowls and asks for her $100 back. I say I can't because it has already been dropped in the lock box.

I'm already feeling badly that nothing is going right for this lady. So I sort of pause because I'm trying to think if I should call a manager over and see if they can do something to get this lady what she wants (they really can't because nothing can be altered once you're in the middle of tendering but we could do a return after and then redo it all the way she wanted). But in my short pause if wondering how to fix this for her, she tells at me. "Well what are you waiting for then! Hurry up!" I smile and decide I will care less and just get her done and over with and out the door.

I had had a string of $50s right before this lady, so my stash of 3 $20s in my drawer was depleted. All I had was a $10 and many $5s and $1s. I start gathering up her change and she notices it is mostly $5s. She is not at all pleased with is and screams she doesn't want all those $5s. I smile and tell her I'm really sorry but that's all I have. She is HIGHLY agitated now. There is a line of 6 people behind her and I glance at the next guy and smile and he rolls his eyes and shrugs. The lady says FINE! JESUS!! And gets on her phone. I gather the rest of. Her change and start counting it back to her. While she's on the phone. Because that's what I do when people are rude enough to be on their phone while I'm trying to complete their transaction. My store is far too busy to wait for people to put down their phones. I've counted back about $55 at this point when she slams her phone on the counter and says, "I can't listen to 2 people! You can't count my change while I'm on the drat phone!"

It was at this point that the thought to walk the gently caress out entered my mind. I dropped the money to the counter, put my arms to my side and just said, "ma'am?" She screamed "What?!" I picked the money back up, smiled at her and told her I'd be more than happy to count her change back to her again. A couple people in line started heckling her. Which felt nice. I got her change counted back and she's mumbling the whole time how I'm a terrible cashier and an even worse person and etc etc.

I get people like this every day. I have tons of awesome customers and I love them! I just get really down on myself about the ones who are really mean. The next guy in line said I did an awesome job with her and asked if that happens a lot. He apologized for cashiers having to deal with mean people. Which was nice, too. As soon as I got the line cleared I tracked down the manager and asked for a break. It took everything I had to go back in after furiously huffing down 2 cigarettes in my car.

I just can't seem to make myself not feel like a failure when things go wrong like that. Intellectually I know that nothing would have made that lady happy, but I just can't make my brain understand that none of that was my fault.

edit: please disregard all the spelling and grammatical errors- that was a lot to type on my phone!

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 11, 2013

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
/\/\/\
Sometimes if someone pays for a small purchase with a $100 and then tries to change it up, they're trying to get you confused and get more change than they're supposed to. If you've already tendered the transaction, never change what you are giving them back. Tell them they can go get a refund at the service desk or buy whatever else in another transaction. If they get mad about stuff that's outside of your control, don't sweat it.

Always try to keep track of how much of each bill you have. If I ever get in a situation where I can't give change for a $100 in just 20s and 10s I'll refuse the bill and tell them I can't break it. They can go to another register and check out. If there isn't another register I'll ask them as soon as they pull out the $100 if it's ok if they get mostly $5s back. If not they'll use a card or a smaller bill. But at least that way they don't get mad about getting change they didn't expect.

If you're having that big of a problem detaching yourself and letting the people's rage roll off you and not stress you out then maybe you should look for another job. The mean people don't stop. You have to learn to deal with them without getting upset. If you don't think you can do that, maybe retail really isn't for you.

As for my own retail problems, I may have to look for a second job (hopefully not retail) because after christmas my hours have gone from almost 40 a week down to like 16-20 a week. I can't pay my bills with those hours. But of course they say there's no more hours for them to give. But last time I tried to get a 2nd job nobody would hire me since my availability was limited by my first job. :(

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I've always loved just giving out my entire drawer when someone tried to cash a $100 first thing in the morning and didn't want to wait for real bills. "Here is your $95, 4 $5s, a $50 bundle of singles, $20 in quarters, and a roll of dimes. Have a great day :)"

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Initio posted:

I've always loved just giving out my entire drawer when someone tried to cash a $100 first thing in the morning and didn't want to wait for real bills. "Here is your $95, 4 $5s, a $50 bundle of singles, $20 in quarters, and a roll of dimes. Have a great day :)"

Omg. A fellow sufferer. These people just don't understand how little money some corporations allow to be left easily accessible in case of a robbery. I start out with $100. All $10s, $5s, $1s and coins stay in my drawer my entire shift. And that can be a very substantial amount on a busy day. However, almost all of my $20s, and every $50 or $100 is dropped in a lock box under my drawer. And every time that lockbox goes over $300, I have to drop that in the big safe. I can almost always break a $100, but it's not going to be anything but small denominations.

I think something like 75% of our sales are food stamp sales, though. That's not an accident. Family dollar has learned that putting store smack dab in the middle of low income housing is very good business. They are specifically buying property in those areas. I thought that was interesting. The relavance is that we get a ton of $100s during the beginning of the month. It just causes problems with how little I'm allowed to keep in easily accessible money!

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I think my favorite thing in retail that I really miss was making drops in the lock box whenever I had over $100 in my register and trading large bills for change. I hate math and stuff but I loved quantifying how much I made for the store in a single day by how many drops I made. I guess it just made it more tangible?

I always looked forward to doing drops or counting drops when I closed with the key holders.

Our policy was if you had more than $100 in your till, you had to drop it in the lock box or trade it up if you needed change of any sort. It was always amusing to me to make the key holders (all of whom I were good friends with) continuously come up every 20 mins or so on really busy days, because we would just make really sarcastic, assy comments while trading up the change.

Always remember even in retail there can still be moments of happiness.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Some people are just derpy about money and don't think about what the cashier may have in their drawer. I was working cash one day, years back, and at Walmart you don't have to ask the cashier to add on money for cashback like you do at some places, you can just do it on the machine yourself and drat the torpedoes. So this lady buys a pack of gum or something and my drawer pops open; the register says I owe her $200, the maximum you can cashback per transaction.

It is 8:05 AM. The store had literally just opened five minutes previous. These tills only contain $200 at open.

I tell her I don't have that much in the till and will have to call a CSM to bring the money to me because there's only $200 in the till at all. She says just to give her the money I have, that's fine. I pop the tray out the drawer so she can see the rolls of nickles, handful of quarters and dimes, assorted bills. She immediately gets huffy and bitchy about it. This, she tells me, is an outrage and when her money arrives she will tell the CSM what a horrible cashier I am to make her wait around like this, she will have my job, etc etc.

I hop on the phone, back in the day when you could phone the CSM directly.

:geno: "I need a $200 loan on 5."
:what: ":what:"
:geno: "I got cashbacked on a pack of gum."
:what: "Fucks' sake, hang on..."

While we wait, the woman glares at me and sighs loudly, looks at her watch, taps her foot, all the theatrical bullshit people do. After a few minutes of dicking around with the cash office, the CSM shows up with my money, hands it to me, I hand it to the customer who then promptly tries to chew me out to the CSM. The CSM immediately turns around and she's pissed.

:what: "We have an ATM in the store for a reason, ma'am. Just because the debit lets you cashback $200 doesn't mean you should do it."
:confused: "But it's Walmart. You should have enough in the till, you make millions of dollars here."
:what: "It is eight in the morning. What did you expect? Take your money and have a nice day."

At which point the CSM followed the woman out of the store, glaring at her the whole way.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

:confused: "But it's Walmart. You should have enough in the till, you make millions of dollars here."

"millions of dollars! in that till right there!"

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Speaking of having to wait on something and the theatrics people make, I had a lady one day who came up to buy an expensive electronic item. With these items we offer extended warranties you pay a little extra for. I asked her if she wanted one and she said sure so I added it on. Then I go to find the pamphlet that explains the terms and conditions and I discover all the electronics registers are out of them. I tell her she can swing by the service desk on her way out (it's literally on the way out) and pick one up.
:mad: "How are you going to sell me something you don't even have and send me across the store to get it! I'm not going anywhere. Get me one."
She crosses her arms and glares at me. Well I can't leave the electronics department empty and unsupervised and I tell her exactly that.
:geno: "I'll have to call someone to bring me one. It really would be quicker to pick one up at the service desk."
:mad: "This is ridiculous that you're making me wait here! I'm not moving!"
So I call someone and we wait and wait, this is in the middle of November so the full swing of the Christmas crowd and everyone else is busy with their own customers. She's tapping her foot and glaring at me and finally she bursts out
:mad: "Is there anywhere I can just go get one myself? I'm done waiting here!"
Uggggh I told you like three times to go to the service desk!!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I think we technically have 3 interim store managers, none of whom are trying to get the same things done.

We have Ken, from the Jensen Beach store, who sets the schedule and never visits.

We have Phyllis, the district trainer from the Okeechobee store, who spends a couple days a week with us.

And we have Chris, whose store I'm not sure of, who is filling in when the AM who broke her foot can't come in.

The AM who broke her foot messaged me on Facebook asking if I'm working anymore. She thinks that Chris is trying to replace the whole crew and I've had that feeling all along. We're all too used to the way Shaun did things, even though we're adapting. Sure, we grumble about it, but we loving adapt because that's what you do when you want to keep your job.

I search and I search and I still can't find another job. It's a bad time of year to be looking, because most of the stores just got rid of the seasonal people and kept on the good ones, so they've done their hiring for the time being. I can't even find a good office job in this shithole town. :smith:

EDIT: She asked me to call her. We talked for half an hour and I learned that there's a sign on the door: "NOW HIRING: ALL POSITIONS". :smithicide:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2013

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Just got a new job (non-retail), gonna put my 2 weeks in on Monday. Gonna celebrate it well!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Retail stores are not BANKS. If Miss Entitled wants her $100 broken, she needs to go to a BANK like normal people. Or, ask nicely and be patient.

And no one is cut out for retail. gently caress this poo poo. I'd rather be a janitor or a garbage man; at least they have unions and make a livable wage with full benefits. They both also provide a necessary service and have the ability to take pride in their job instead of being forced to endure the constant feeling of being just another expendable cog.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Avalanche posted:

Retail stores are not BANKS. If Miss Entitled wants her $100 broken, she needs to go to a BANK like normal people. Or, ask nicely and be patient.

And no one is cut out for retail. gently caress this poo poo. I'd rather be a janitor or a garbage man; at least they have unions and make a livable wage with full benefits. They both also provide a necessary service and have the ability to take pride in their job instead of being forced to endure the constant feeling of being just another expendable cog.

Very few people seem to have any concept of cash registers. They apparently think a register is a magical, infinite money box or something. Our store starts out with $200 in the till everyday, so of course one day some guy comes in first thing in the morning to return this super expensive rangefinder or scope or something. His refund was so high it cleaned me out of all my bills and the manager had to get more out of the safe just to cover it.

It also amazes me the amount of cash people will carry around. I personally feel weird if I have anything more than like $50 cash in my wallet (and that's unusually high) because I'm always afraid I'll lose it. But I get people routinely paying for even really small transactions with $100 bills. And at least one woman who lost $200 in the store (and also strongly implied she thought our gun counter guy stole it). Why the hell do you carry $200 in the outer pocket of your purse, then go off and leave it unattended in a busy store?

On another note, if I get one more phone call or question about ammunition, I'm going to scream. We finally got a truck in today and it was so bad that people were literally just taking it out of the boxes while the employees were trying to stock the stuff. We've already had to institute a limit per person on ammunition and I think they're going to start keeping certain types behind the counter soon. It's insane.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
At my store we aren't allowed to make change for people unless they buy something and pay in cash. You can buy a 50 cent pack of gum and pay with a $100 bill if you want, but you can't give the cashier a $100 bill and ask them to break it.

One morning right after opening (so my drawer started with $200, but I had given a lot of it as change), a woman came through my register and tried to buy a soda or something with two $100 bills. I explained to her that I didn't have $200 in my drawer and could only break one of her 100s. She was super nice about it and understood completely, and paid with one of her $100 bills.

Then she went to customer service and asked the man running the service desk to break it for her. Of course, they're not allowed to make change either. She flipped the gently caress out. She started screaming at him, stormed out of customer service and started screaming at the CSM, and even the store manager got involved (she wasn't called or anything, she heard the screaming from the opposite side of the store and came to check it out). I was at my register the whole time so I didn't see it all in detail, but I'm pretty sure they refused to back down and never changed it for her.

I really don't understand how she was so nice to me and ended up being a raving lunatic to everyone else.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad I never went the cashier route in retail. I'm going through some grade-A bullshit myself in the back of the store, but the horrors of cashiering is unmatched. I'd still rather deal with the crap I'm dealing with than the stuff every cashier has to deal with, and the stuff I'm dealing with is highly unusual.

- Forced to attempt to get personal information from customers to sell them stupid poo poo is wrong.
- Cashiering seems to be a job easier to replace then those physical jobs in the back of the store, therefore easier to dick them over in hours.
- Standing still for hours on end, no thanks.
- All the issues dealing with money - fake bills/checks, being treated like an ATM, possible robbery.
- Cashiers are the last stop for a customer when they're about to leave, and many like to bitch at those cashiers for all issues with their shopping experience.
- Coupons - it took me one attempt at forced cashier training to see how horrible these things are, people make no effort at finding the right item.
- Front-end is less flexible on when they can take breaks, lunches, and have to ask permission to head to the potty.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, cashiering is awful. After my brief stint in 2004, I transferred onto the sales floor asap, got endlessly called to man a till anyway, and when I want back to Walmart in 2011 I went into unloading and kept telling them no when they repeatedly asked me to sign up for cash during the interview process. I feel horrible for cashiers, man, and I go out of my way to be as polite and friendly to them as I can. You can tell the long-term cashiers, too; they tend to be bitter chain-smokers who talk about how they have a bottle of whiskey in the freezer calling their name. That job, it destroys lives, I'm serious.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're so right about cashiers being easy to replace. It's the job that any 16 year old high school student is given when they apply at a retail store. Not that I don't think high schoolers should have jobs or anything. It's just that there's even less job security (which I'm not sure is possible) than other retail jobs for that reason.

The biggest thing that bothers me about being a cashier, and I've said it a few times in this thread, is that all of the policies related to cash or whatever automatically treat you like you're a thief or will become one at the drop of a hat. Missing money? Pay it back or be fired*.

*actually we'll just cut your hours to zero or near zero so you quit and you can't get unemployment

I find myself destroying pens so that work has to pay to replace them. It's my tiny gently caress you to the store.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, cashiering is awful. After my brief stint in 2004, I transferred onto the sales floor asap, got endlessly called to man a till anyway, and when I want back to Walmart in 2011 I went into unloading and kept telling them no when they repeatedly asked me to sign up for cash during the interview process. I feel horrible for cashiers, man, and I go out of my way to be as polite and friendly to them as I can. You can tell the long-term cashiers, too; they tend to be bitter chain-smokers who talk about how they have a bottle of whiskey in the freezer calling their name. That job, it destroys lives, I'm serious.

I have definitely found myself drinking a lot more since I started cashiering. And not as a social thing, but more "What a lovely day, I need a drink (or 3)." I think for me it's a toss up between the stress of having to deal with everyone's poo poo/stupidity constantly and being essentially chained to the counter for the duration of my shift whether or not there's anything to do. Along with the whole deal about being harassed all the time by my manager because I don't harass customers enough to get their information.

It doesn't help that everyone in the store avoids cashiering like the plague even though they're all trained to do it and are supposed to take over when it gets busy. So it's not unusual for me to be absolutely swamped with people and have no help even after I page the people who are designated to be back-up cashiers. Like this morning when I had to work on stock, get shoes from the back for people to try on, answer the phone (that was ringing constantly on both lines today) AND run the register at the same time somehow.

usernamen_01
Oct 20, 2012

NaturalLow posted:

Yay! I got a bunch of poo poo from my manager yesterday and today about how I'm still not getting enough e-mail addresses from customers. Apparently I (and most of the other newer cashiers) will be written up soon if I don't bring my numbers up. According to him, I just need to explain what it's for and "don't take no for an answer." Even though I never have time to explain since people say no before I even finish my sentence most of the time. And that's if they'll even give me their phone number (the first step of the process). Then he kind of laughed about it today since I got so frustrated I was about to cry while he was giving me this lecture. :sigh:

I've already started up the job hunt again for anything that's not retail. I can't really afford to quit until I find something else but I'm sick of this loving stupid policy and I'm just not cut out for scamming people to sign them up for spammy mailing lists so they can get a few coupons (that don't work on anything good anyway).

I don't understand this.

Were you about to cry because he was complaining at you, or were you about to cry because you perceived that you failed?

IndenturedHobo
May 17, 2008

Avalanche posted:

I'm a retail janitor, otherwise known as a "maintenance associate" :suicide:

The biggest part of my job is cleaning up after obese people "See; poo poo", and picking up pallets at the end of the night. Stacking around 80 pallets in 13-high stacks is murdering my arms, and wiping up literal poo poo stains for minimum wage is murdering my soul.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

usernamen_01 posted:

I don't understand this.

Were you about to cry because he was complaining at you, or were you about to cry because you perceived that you failed?

It was because I was angry/frustrated and for some reason that's just what happens to me when I feel that way. I don't feel like I've failed, I'm frustrated because I'm on the verge of being punished for something that I really can't do anything about (I can't force customers to give me e-mail addresses). Nobody wants to give out that kind of information - plain and simple, but the company keeps acting like it's my fault. It's also really obvious from the way they talk to me that management has no idea what it's like having to ask for this poo poo all the time and they have no concept of how unrealistic their expectations are.

Also it's a stupid loving thing to get hung up on. I do every other part of my job to the letter, but my numbers are bad so I'm automatically a bad employee that needs to reprimanded.

Just as an update on the situation, as soon as I got in the door Thursday the manager had me read and sign a printed off e-mail message from the district manager. It said our district is slipping in new e-mail captures and that if "you [meaning my manager] don't hold your cashiers accountable, I will."

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

NaturalLow posted:

According to him, I just need to explain what it's for and "don't take no for an answer."
Bet he's fun on the staff night out. No, wait. Not fun, the other thing. A rapist.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I was in the wrong and apologise for what I said about the pregnant girl. Though it should be mentioned my coworkers hope she doesn't keep the pregnancy, including my boss.
I was wrong and it won't happen again. My boss thinks I can't handle the job because I am "too sick" and I might be out of a job again soon so joke's on me. Failing at life over here.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

some of you might remember that I witnessed an incident of child abuse at my store a while back, and I went to the police station and filed a report on the man. I hadn't seen the family in question since I did that and I wonder all the time if anything good happened to them because of my report.

The mother and the daughter were in last night alone. The mother was very nice and the daughter looked happy. The mother made a point of giving me a beautiful smile and I have no idea what that means, but I only can hope that it means her husband is getting some help. It's killing me not being able to ask!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Semprini posted:

Bet he's fun on the staff night out. No, wait. Not fun, the other thing. A rapist.

He's actually a pretty good boss most of the time, although he does have kind of a mean sense of humor (hence laughing about me being upset). When it comes to work though, he's one of maybe two people in the store who will go out of the way to jump in to help me when I need it and always makes sure I'm doing all right/informed about what's going on in the store (which is a HUGE help). He'll even run the register when it's busy without me even having to ask.

Honestly I kind of feel bad for the guy because I can tell he doesn't really want to be coming down on us like this, but his higher-ups are coming down on him.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I'm (obviously) nine months pregnant and while I work just as hard as I did before I was pregnant, I can't do all of the things I used to do. It surprises me how many customers still ask me to lift heavy things for them. Most customers realize that I shouldn't anymore, and some get upset when I even try to help them with light objects, but I still get asked a few times a shift to lift heavy things. It's always seemingly able-bodied middle aged women and it kind of just confuses me as to why they think I'm the best person to ask to lift a 45 lb. box of cat litter into their cart.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tse1618 posted:

I'm (obviously) nine months pregnant and while I work just as hard as I did before I was pregnant, I can't do all of the things I used to do. It surprises me how many customers still ask me to lift heavy things for them. Most customers realize that I shouldn't anymore, and some get upset when I even try to help them with light objects, but I still get asked a few times a shift to lift heavy things. It's always seemingly able-bodied middle aged women and it kind of just confuses me as to why they think I'm the best person to ask to lift a 45 lb. box of cat litter into their cart.

Ask them, "Do you think I'm just fat?".

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

baquerd posted:

Ask them, "Do you think I'm just fat?".

"Sure let me get that for you, I'm tired of being pregnant anyway."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'd just give a simple "My doctor's ordered me not lift more than x pounds, but I'll be happy to page someone to come over and help"?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

silversiren posted:

I was in the wrong and apologise for what I said about the pregnant girl. Though it should be mentioned my coworkers hope she doesn't keep the pregnancy, including my boss.
I was wrong and it won't happen again. My boss thinks I can't handle the job because I am "too sick" and I might be out of a job again soon so joke's on me. Failing at life over here.

Get some therapy for fucks sake. Stop E/Ning all the time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

NaturalLow posted:

It was because I was angry/frustrated and for some reason that's just what happens to me when I feel that way. I don't feel like I've failed, I'm frustrated because I'm on the verge of being punished for something that I really can't do anything about (I can't force customers to give me e-mail addresses). Nobody wants to give out that kind of information - plain and simple, but the company keeps acting like it's my fault. It's also really obvious from the way they talk to me that management has no idea what it's like having to ask for this poo poo all the time and they have no concept of how unrealistic their expectations are.

Also it's a stupid loving thing to get hung up on. I do every other part of my job to the letter, but my numbers are bad so I'm automatically a bad employee that needs to reprimanded.

Just as an update on the situation, as soon as I got in the door Thursday the manager had me read and sign a printed off e-mail message from the district manager. It said our district is slipping in new e-mail captures and that if "you [meaning my manager] don't hold your cashiers accountable, I will."

Can't you just type in "randomname@hotmail.com" each time someone says no?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Can't you just type in "randomname@hotmail.com" each time someone says no?

No, because the system checks if it's a valid e-mail after the fact and will reject it if it's not - rejected e-mails don't count. Plus there apparently have been people who got fired for doing that to get their numbers up back in the day when the e-mail thing was first instituted.

We get a spreadsheet every week that lists all the employees and their number of eligible transactions (as in customers who aren't already signed up), number of new e-mails collected, number of rejected e-mails (meaning they weren't valid for whatever reason) and then finally a percentage that's calculated from all that. The percentage is what they judge me by and it has to be over 10 I think. Or whatever 1 out of every 10 customers would work out to be, because that's what they're expecting of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Hey guys, remember how I was 100% positive I was going to quit my lovely serving job that was making me crazy last May? No, actually, I'm managing now which is somehow even worse. One of my fellow managers regularly fights with her sister in front of customers. Staff morale is probably the lowest I've seen it in two years. And I still can't afford to quit.