Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Inside Line was the poo poo. I was so pissed when they hosed that up.

Their long-term road test blog was actually really interesting too. Because they had the cars for a year at a time and they were driven by a dozen different people it was a good chance to see what reliability and livability would be in real world situations.

Of course now they moved it to a page with pop ups and I don't read it anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blk posted:

I sometimes read Autoblog but the comments are the worst I've ever seen (by contrast, I think BAT has some of the best).

I don't understand this, who gives a poo poo about the comments?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't understand this, who gives a poo poo about the comments?

Nobody who has anywhere at all better to post.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Some-what car news related, where do you guys like to go to get your car news, other than this thread? I usually go on topspeed.com and it's decent, but I'm curious where most of you guys get yours.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So, Peugeot is revising their model naming convention. Instead of the numbers increasing over time for instance 306, 307, 308, in the future all their cars will end in 08 and the number preceding the 0 will signify its position in the model range.

Working off of this and spurred on by the success of Renault-owned Dacia, they will be launching a new 01 line of cars for developing markets, eastern Europe, Russia, the Middle East, China, India, South America and so on. The first of these will be the 301, which from the looks of it will be a sedan version of the 208. It'll seat five adults with good rear legroom and a large trunk.

Supposedly, it will be more rugged to cope with questionable road surfaces, as well as have improved sealing and filters for dusty conditions. It will also be rather barebones and have no fancy gadgets other than airconditioning and possibly Bluetooth as an option. Power comes in the form of a 75hp 1.2, a 115hp 1.6 and a 95hp 1.6 diesel.

I like it, it's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than the Dacias, that's for sure. I'd drive one, especially if the added ruggedness proves to be true.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Some-what car news related, where do you guys like to go to get your car news, other than this thread? I usually go on topspeed.com and it's decent, but I'm curious where most of you guys get yours.

Some news I get from inside sources. One HUGE source of news is actually Twitter. Lots of auto makers and aftermarket parts manufacturers are embracing Twitter as the way to get info out fast.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

Supposedly, it will be more rugged to cope with questionable road surfaces, as well as have improved sealing and filters for dusty conditions. It will also be rather barebones and have no fancy gadgets other than airconditioning and possibly Bluetooth as an option. Power comes in the form of a 75hp 1.2, a 115hp 1.6 and a 95hp 1.6 diesel.

I like it, it's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than the Dacias, that's for sure. I'd drive one, especially if the added ruggedness proves to be true.

If they're removing the common French failure point (the electrics) these well be great cheap cars & I will have to go back on my word of never buying a French car again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

If they're removing the common French failure point (the electrics) these well be great cheap cars & I will have to go back on my word of never buying a French car again.

I know it's just anecdotal "evidence", but I drive a 12-year-old Peugeot and I have had precisely one electrical problem; the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox failed intermittently. It cost me 600DKK to replace and the mechanic assured me that he's never seen a car that needed to have it replaced more than once.

Everything else just works, as does the electrics on my parents' Citroën C5 and on my dad's company car, a Peugeot Boxer. Which is more than could be said for the Mercedes they used to drive.

I think the 301 is actually the first genuinely attractive low-end car I've seen in a long long time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bob NewSCART posted:

I normally just check autoblog and leftlanenews. LLN is poo poo and I find those two have all the same articles, but 50% appear on LLN first and the other 50% appear on AB first. It's less about car news and more about trolling the comments with liberal propaganda.

Edit: 2 hours until C7!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I just read about the C7 :allears:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first-looks/c7-corvette-v-8-engine-specs-revealed

I'm really impressed that they got the weight balance to be near 50/50... And that it has as much power as the LS7 and still gets that projected gas mileage :allears:

Now to wait for the price tag and hope to find a C6 Z06 on the cheap one day.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm curious why they're saying it's comparable to the LS7. In the sense that it too has eight cylinders? 55hp is a pretty big gap.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm curious why they're saying it's comparable to the LS7. In the sense that it too has eight cylinders? 55hp is a pretty big gap.

It's the torque curve they were focusing on. Apparently the new LT1 torque curve makes the LS7 look peaky.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wasn't sure about the back end from the renders, but that looks loving great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All I can think of it Bill Cosby telling me to get a look at them piiiiiipes.

If you debadged it, I bet you'd get people asking if it was an Audi.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

If you debadged it, I bet you'd get people asking if it was an Audi.

It's not THAT ugly. They'd probably ask if it was the new Lexus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My second comment is related to my first.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Subtle, much? :argh:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
The C7 looks way better than the renders, dat gurney flap :swoon:

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Well, the C7 is absolutely gorgeous. As a former Z06 owner that had switched over to Mustangs, Chevy just won me back.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Unless I'm seeing this wrong, the C7 really has both paddles and a stick?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-chevrolet-corvette/full/#photo-5565918

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sole Survivor posted:

The paddle on the manual apparently turns automatic rev matching on and off.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Any word on if the Taurus is going to move to the Fusion's design language anytime soon? A SHO with that Aston-like grille is something I could totally get behind.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
New Corvette looks fantastic. I think I'm more excited about the current C6's dropping in price though, they're still great cars.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sole Survivor posted:

Chevy knows their market well. Also, looking at that, no chance of this thing ever being RHD with that dash.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

New Corvette looks fantastic. I think I'm more excited about the current C6's dropping in price though, they're still great cars.

I hope the GS/Z06s come down quite a bit, that widebody makes the normal C6 just look so plain jane.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
something about the new Corvette is reminding me of....

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Alright, I'm sold on the C7. Just give it 5 years to depreciate and assume gas prices don't rise at all in that time :P

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
The part that gets me is that car looks like it could easily be $100k, yet the base model will be under $60k. Taking price into consideration, it's a home run.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Love the dash on the C7 - well really just the layout. It's nice to see a driver focused dashboard for once. Passenger? You've got two places to hold on, make use of them. Don't touch gently caress all else. Love it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Did they announce pricing for the C7 yet?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That new 'Vette gives me a big car boner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fknlo posted:

The quad pipes make it look cartoony - but apart from that they hit that one out of the park.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

drat that is one of the sexiest cars ever. All the little lines to the complete look is stunning. Now it's time I make some crazy rear end invention or business as a broke college student.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nope, still don't like the new Corvette. It's way overdone.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

TrueChaos posted:

Love the dash on the C7 - well really just the layout. It's nice to see a driver focused dashboard for once. Passenger? You've got two places to hold on, make use of them. Don't touch gently caress all else. Love it.

From the interior shots, it looks like the passenger actually has their own dedicated climate control below the right most vent on the dash.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-chevrolet-corvette/full/#photo-5566010

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 14, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

Only two things I would change are the quad exhaust and split that rear window. Maybe round tail lights but what they have works too.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Came straight here after my father-in-law called me to see if I wanted to go to the show this weekend and asked if I'd seen the shots. I don't post here, like, ever and I know about 1/billionth as much about cars as you guys so my opinion isn't worth much, but I am a lifelong Corvette lover.

You certainly can't fault them for not having balls. Good god is that an aggressive look; the 3/4 front view is gorgeous. I would have calmed the hood down a bit, and the same for the rear. I also would prefer if the rear spoiler was integrated rather than appearing to be a separate piece. The tail lights look like they are frowning at you, which made me laugh, but I also thought they had a Pontiac-ky look. Again, I would have toned it down a bit. It will be interesting to see what they do with the follow-up years for the C7.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im sorry I doubted you GM.
Having owned both a c5 and c6 and then seeing that interior, wow Im in love.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
GM continually amazes with what they've done which is considered status quo, and what they've done of their own volition. GM is Solaris/x86. It works, not horribly well, feels almost usable when it runs, but nobody really wants to admit to owning it or having to deal with it when it isn't.

2.6 5/98 for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a promo vid on the C7

now, lemme see the C7R :fap: