Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I hate to keep harping on the Lone-Lands lately, but now that I am a ways into Ost Guruth it's much better. I think the worst part for me is the initial Forsaken Inn quests which are more or less identical to the way they were before they revamped the zone, save for a few exceptions. Once I get past that hump and into Ost Guruth it becomes much more tolerable and I really don't mind it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think the worst part of it was that the zone is just freaking huge, and it's more or less all brown and barren looking. I mean, Turbine nailed it when they designed the zone according to the lore, but as far as MMO zones go it's pretty dull.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Radagast is kind of a dick :mad:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Made a Champion, Qourin, and I got the invite, thanks Hoboknife.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 13, 2013

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

JFC posted:

No. If you post your player name in this thread, ask for an invite, and then search us out in game an officer can invite you. You may want to copy and paste a link to your request in this thread, could help it go smoother.

Also, after you've been invited please edit your request to indicate it. I've tried to invite people that are already in, just because they never changed their status here.

Okay, thank you. I made a (hu)Man Champion named Groce, I'll ping someone in the kinship the next time I get on.

e: spelling

e2: Invited, thanks!

ReWinter fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rarity posted:

Radagast is kind of a dick :mad:

Be glad they haven't changed him in to the goofy version from The Hobbit.
They probably will at some point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm on as Fuzzwyn, if I could an invite. I already joined the Steam group, I'm FuzzMD on Steam.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Bit of a crosspost from the Amazon MP3 deals thread, seems on-topic here: Amazon's running the three MP3 soundtracks for the LOTR trilogy at $5.99 right now.

edit; $5.99 each, don't cream your pants.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 13, 2013

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the invite, I'm in as Dedian, good ol' human champ.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm overly nerding out at getting to see things from the books (especially things removed from the movies). Got way too giddy at the old forest, Crickhollow, and the barrow downs. Not to mention Tom Bombadil dancing around :3.

Level 23, still in Bree, with 15-20 quests in my log still, hah. No shortage of quests in this game.

So what things do people use their TP and gold for? I like things that are permanent and useful best, was just looking for suggestions. Here's what I've seen, didn't know if there's some good ones I'm missing:

TP:
Sixth bag slot
Daily Task limit increases
Quest packs

Gold:
Vault size
Uh....collecting mounts?
Buying random crap off the AH?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Jumping onto the LOTRO wagon, since WoW's dailies grind annoyed me enough to make me unsubscribe. Looking for an invite as Deablanche, human Guardian.

Edit: thanks Accuracy!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wouldn't bother with daily task increases, the TP cost just doesn't justify it for the most part, especially when there's no lack of easy ways to get experience or reputation in this game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cheap Trick posted:

Jumping onto the LOTRO wagon, since WoW's dailies grind annoyed me enough to make me unsubscribe. Looking for an invite as Deablanche, human Guardian.

Edit: thanks Accuracy!

I just saw you run by me before! You had a silly outfit on.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

xZAOx posted:

TP:
Sixth bag slot
Daily Task limit increases
Quest packs

Premium wallet is also fantastic, but you can wait until way later for that if you want (it holds all your barter items so they don't take up inventory/vault space). You definitely don't need task limit increases, especially since you get a couple as task deed rewards anyway.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Radio! posted:

Premium wallet is also fantastic, but you can wait until way later for that if you want (it holds all your barter items so they don't take up inventory/vault space). You definitely don't need task limit increases, especially since you get a couple as task deed rewards anyway.

The more you play, the better the upgraded wallet gets. Here is an example from one of my guys, everything not green would be poo poo stuck in your bags/vault.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I just saw you run by me before! You had a silly outfit on.

It's just a bunch of starter gear actually. I'll probably outfit myself with some clothes from one of the expacs.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

SeaTard posted:

The more you play, the better the upgraded wallet gets. Here is an example from one of my guys, everything not green would be poo poo stuck in your bags/vault.

The upgraded wallet is one of the best things they ever added to the game. It's right up there with open-tapping and writs of travel. You can argue whether it should be a free part of the game instead of something you have to spend turbine points on, but it's still one of the best things ever.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Universal Toolkit

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ukrainius maximus posted:

I hate to keep harping on the Lone-Lands lately, but now that I am a ways into Ost Guruth it's much better. I think the worst part for me is the initial Forsaken Inn quests which are more or less identical to the way they were before they revamped the zone, save for a few exceptions. Once I get past that hump and into Ost Guruth it becomes much more tolerable and I really don't mind it all.

The Lone Lands are terrible until you get to Ost Guruth, when they start getting decent. Then once you get to Agaumar/Garth Agarwen, they get pretty great.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Decided to try this again after several false starts over the years and it's really hooked me this time around.

Edit: Thanks for the invite.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 14, 2013

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Just to clarify, on Steam both the Triple Pack and Riders of Rohan are required for all expansion packs, right? Because the Riders of Rohan thing says "Evendim, Moria, and Lothlórien Quest Packs: Unlock the content in three iconic regions and get over 650 quests, 10 fellowship instances, and two raids" which to my uninitiated brain makes me think it comes with the previous three expansion packs?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

GoGoGadget posted:

Just to clarify, on Steam both the Triple Pack and Riders of Rohan are required for all expansion packs, right? Because the Riders of Rohan thing says "Evendim, Moria, and Lothlórien Quest Packs: Unlock the content in three iconic regions and get over 650 quests, 10 fellowship instances, and two raids" which to my uninitiated brain makes me think it comes with the previous three expansion packs?

- Evendim was in the original game, it did get a very nice revamp since then.
- Moria was part of the Mines of Moria expansion
- LothLorien was added as an update to the Mines of Moria expansion if my memory serve right.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

AskYourself posted:

- LothLorien was added as an update to the Mines of Moria expansion if my memory serve right.

Evendim was actually not in the original game, it was added on afterwards as an additional zone. The map used to stop just before Oatbarton in the south and at fornost in the east.

Also for anyone in the 32-35 range, running the Garth Agarwen instance gets you Eglain tokens that can be traded in for some pretty good teal gear for that level. Especially guard shield and bow. This is one of the instances everyone should run around that level. Yet people seem to skip it thinking it's not worth the time...it really is. Probably one of my favorite instances in the whole game. If you can't get a group, just ask an 85 to solo it for you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

When do the instances start showing up, and do you have to use TP to unlock them? I know there's only so many you can do daily, but I'm in Combe and still haven't seen any...

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

AskYourself posted:

So I need to buy both packs for everything?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

When do the instances start showing up, and do you have to use TP to unlock them? I know there's only so many you can do daily, but I'm in Combe and still haven't seen any...

It's been a while since I've played (updating the client right now), but Combe is the first town in Breeland after the intro, so it's not that far into the game.
The first instance should be the Great Barrows, at 20. As F2P you should get access the 3 Great Barrow instances in Breeland and Garth Agarwen in the Lonelands. GB/Inn are 20+, GA 32+. If you add additional questpacks you get access to the instances in those areas (Fornost when you get North Downs quest pack, etc.)

Wuxi fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 13, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wuxi posted:

It's been a while since I've played (updating the client right now), but Combe is the first town in Breeland after the intro, so it's not that far into the game.
The first instance should be the Great Barrows, at 20. As F2P you should access the 3 Great Barrow instances and the Forsaken Inn/Garth Agarwen in the Lonelands. GB/Inn are 20+, GA 32+. If you add additional questpacks you get access to the instances in those areas (Fornost when you get North Downs quest pack, etc.)

SO I need to pay to access them? I have about 25 TP saved up from various Deeds and such... guess I'll keep saving.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Free
20-65 Great Barrow: The Maze GB Maze 6-man Free
22-65 Great Barrow: Thadur GB Thadur 6-man Free
24-65 Great Barrow: Sambrog[1] GB Sambrog 6-man Free
32 Garth Agarwen: Arboretum GA Arbo 3-man Free
32 Garth Agarwen: Barrows GA Barrows 3-man Free
32 Garth Agarwen: Fortress GA Fort 6-man Free

VIP or Purchase Separately
39 North-downs: Fornost Fornost 6-man VIP or North Downs QP
40-65 Annuminas: Glinghant Glinghant 6-man VIP or Evendim QP
40-65 Annuminas: Haudh Valandil HV 6-man VIP or Evendim QP
40-65 Annuminas: Ost Elendil OE 6-man VIP or Evendim QP
50 Angmar: Barad Gularan BG[5] 6-man VIP or Angmar QP
50 Angmar: Carn Dum CD 6-man VIP or Angmar QP
50 Angmar: The Rift of Nurz Ghashu Rift Raid (12) VIP or Angmar QP
50 Angmar: Urugarth Uru 6-man VIP or Angmar QP
50 Goblin Town: Throne Room GT Throne 6-man VIP or Misty Mtns QP
50-65 Helegrod: Drake Wing Drake Wing Raid (12) VIP or Misty Mtns QP
50-65 Helegrod: Giant Wing Giant Wing Raid (12) VIP or Misty Mtns QP
50-65 Helegrod: Spider Wing Spider Wing Raid (12) VIP or Misty Mtns QP
50-65 Helegrod: Dragon Wing[2] Dragon Wing Raid (24) VIP or Misty Mtns QP
50-65 Eregion: Library at Tham Mirdain Library 3-man VIP or Eregion QP
50-65 Eregion: School at Tham Mirdain School 3-man VIP or Eregion QP
65 Shire: Northcotton Farms[3] NCF 3-man VIP or Enedwaith QP
65 Annundir: Stoneheight[3] Stoneheight 3-man VIP or Enedwaith QP
65 Trollshaws: Lost Temple[3] LT 6-man VIP or Enedwaith QP
65 Forochel: Sari-Surma[3] SS 6-man VIP or Enedwaith QP
65 Enedwaith: Ost Dunhoth[3] OD Raid (12) VIP or Enedwaith QP

Expansion or Purchase Separately
54 Moria: The Forgotten Treasury FT 6-man Mines of Moria QP
56 Moria: The Grand Stair GS 6-man Mines of Moria QP
59 Moria: Halls of Crafting HoC 6-man Lothlorien QP [4]
59 Moria: The Forges of Khazad-dum Forges 6-man Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: Dark Delvings DD 6-man Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: Dar Narbugud DN Raid (12) Lothlorien QP [4]
60 Moria: Fil Gashan FG 6-man Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: Filikul Turtle Raid (12) Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: Skumfil Skum 6-man Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: The Mirror-halls of Lumul-nar HoM 3-man Lothlorien QP [4]
60 Moria: The Sixteenth Hall 16th 6-man Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: The Vile Maw Watcher Raid (12) Mines of Moria QP
60 Moria: The Water Wheels - Nala-dum WW 3-man Lothlorien QP [4]
65 Dol Guldur: Barad Guldur BG[5] Raid (12) Siege of Mirkwood QP
65 Dol Guldur: Dungeons of Dol Guldur Dungeons 3-man Siege of Mirkwood QP
65 Dol Guldur: Sammath Gul SG 6-man Siege of Mirkwood QP
65 Dol Guldur: Sword-hall of Dol Guldur SH 3-man Siege of Mirkwood QP
65 Dol Guldur: Warg-pens of Dol Guldur WP 3-man Siege of Mirkwood QP

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

SO I need to pay to access them? I have about 25 TP saved up from various Deeds and such... guess I'll keep saving.

Sorry, forgot a word somewhere in my post. You have access to 3 Great Barrows and 3 Garth Agarwen instances as a F2P-player, no need to buy anything else for TP. The other instances need quest packs/subscription or expansions

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
Can I have an invite for Ioneth please? I'll be logging in after posting.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Evil Fluffy posted:

Be glad they haven't changed him in to the goofy version from The Hobbit.
They probably will at some point.

What, you didn't like seeing Radagast with bird poo on his head?

He still is kind of goofy. The epic quest with him has collecting a bunch of animals that follow him around while you are fighting elite trees and wights

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cutedge posted:

What, you didn't like seeing Radagast with bird poo on his head?

He still is kind of goofy. The epic quest with him has collecting a bunch of animals that follow him around while you are fighting elite trees and wights

Yeah...he's a dick...but then most wizards are...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oxphocker posted:

Also for anyone in the 32-35 range, running the Garth Agarwen instance gets you Eglain tokens that can be traded in for some pretty good teal gear for that level. Especially guard shield and bow. This is one of the instances everyone should run around that level. Yet people seem to skip it thinking it's not worth the time...it really is. Probably one of my favorite instances in the whole game. If you can't get a group, just ask an 85 to solo it for you.

Seconding this. I hit 32 guardian last night and (tried to) run one of the 3-man instances for Garth Agarwen with two goons (Zarthelion, 36 captain and Lowthing, 33 hunter). We weren't able to beat the boss without a main healer, but had a really good time trying to figure everything out, dying a lot, and generally being adorable newbies. In the end Hoboknife joined us on his 85 minstrel and ran us through the rest of the instances, and I got myself a sweet teal Eglain shield out of the deal after cashing in my tokens. Instances in this game with goons are a lot of fun.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

GoGoGadget posted:

So I need to buy both packs for everything?

This I do not know unfortunately. I bought the original and the expansion a while ago.

I was answering if the zone were part of an expansion or not.

Misaligned
Jan 13, 2013

Can I please get an invite for Misaligned?

Thanks in advance.

Got an invite, thanks Quoringrim.

Misaligned fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 14, 2013

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Drone posted:

Seconding this. I hit 32 guardian last night and (tried to) run one of the 3-man instances for Garth Agarwen with two goons (Zarthelion, 36 captain and Lowthing, 33 hunter). We weren't able to beat the boss without a main healer, but had a really good time trying to figure everything out, dying a lot, and generally being adorable newbies. In the end Hoboknife joined us on his 85 minstrel and ran us through the rest of the instances, and I got myself a sweet teal Eglain shield out of the deal after cashing in my tokens. Instances in this game with goons are a lot of fun.

That was a fantastic time. Although it didn't do much for my leveling outside of one or two pieces of pretty nice gear, I'm really glad I did it. It gave me a taste of playing a Captain in a group setting and being able to tank (a little), heal (a little), DPS (a little) and buff (a lot) was really neat. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to do any of those things well enough to get us through the instance :v: Anyway, now I'm super jazzed to keep leveling my Captain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How much XP do you get from an instance run? I've been avoiding them because in WoW you'd get a whole level from one run and I want to take it slow so I can see as much as I can

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

That was a fantastic time. Although it didn't do much for my leveling outside of one or two pieces of pretty nice gear, I'm really glad I did it. It gave me a taste of playing a Captain in a group setting and being able to tank (a little), heal (a little), DPS (a little) and buff (a lot) was really neat. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to do any of those things well enough to get us through the instance :v: Anyway, now I'm super jazzed to keep leveling my Captain.
I have a Captain on Landroval that needs to run the two GA 3mans pretty soon. The problem is, it seems that both the Ivar fight and Grimbark are constructed in such a way that you absolutely have to have only the "pure" Tank/Heal/DPS classes if you want to run these anywhere near on-level due to their difficulty. It seems that Captains, LMs and maybe Burgs too are the odd man out for both fights.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rarity posted:

How much XP do you get from an instance run? I've been avoiding them because in WoW you'd get a whole level from one run and I want to take it slow so I can see as much as I can

It was pretty decent exp, but the main thing is the massive amount of purple/teal gear you'll get out of the deal.

Edit: the thing to note with Garth Agarwen is that it's not a scalable instance. Play it when you're in its range (instance is set at level 32, so anything from 30-40 is probably fine). Great Barrow is great too, but it's scalable, so you can do it whenever you want and at whatever level you wish.

Drone fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

It's not a huge amount. At 20+ you have the Great Barrow instances. Definitely run them, they're really good and it'll be your first "real" fellowship.

• Locked thread