Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Which Billingham led squad is better, this or the one I previously posted. (i'd rather have Fernando Valenzuela, but he's slightly too expensive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i talked about this briefly on irc, but would there be interest in a pre-expansion rule v league (i.e. 1901-1960)? it would obviously have some kinks to be worked out compared to the regular rule v and would by definition only be able to be 16 teams.

so did you want to do this as a goon league or like just do it do it?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Nerokerubina posted:

so did you want to do this as a goon league or like just do it do it?

i wasn't thinking it would be a goon league per se

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
there appears to be a fair amount of goon support so far that it would be possible, esp. with the 16-team limit

e: So far the league would be half-filled from this thread alone - zj, jeff, devo, me, kensei, groucho, nero, mbu

uublog fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 14, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

uublog posted:

there appears to be a fair amount of goon support so far that it would be possible, esp. with the 16-team limit

e: So far the league would be half-filled from this thread alone - zj, jeff, devo, me, kensei, groucho, nero, mbu

Hurry up and start it before I get caremad at WiS again.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'd definitely join it!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hey Devo, I just pulled out and made a couple minor changes to the team.

Also, get those last 2 assholes in already!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I am definitely going to be in tomorrow

(no I probably won't I am that huge piece of poo poo)

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

hi guys

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Who are these idiots joining the random captain league when they were never even assigned a captain?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

oh boy I'm in Art's division! :unsmigghh:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Who's ready for some steals?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Who's ready for some steals?

You probably don't want to hear this, but our teams (or at least our hitters) are very similar.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

They're actually not similar much at all.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
now that devo's league is rolling i guess i will begin to move forward on pre-expansion rule v. av is of the opinion that 1901-60 rule v would require some rule changes.

quote:

23:29 <&AV> after vetting all the teams, I don't think old school Rule V will be very good with default Rule V rules
23:29 <~jeffersonlives> why so
23:30 <&AV> pretty much every team has zero holes to fill on offense, with few exceptions every team has multiple viable options at every position, but there are a number of teams that need a lot of help on pitching (the pitching quality is actually very poorly spread in general).
23:30 <&AV> so a team like the White Sox can protect Collins, Appling, Jackson, Walsh and Cicotte and just take BPA every round, have two players drafted from them in all three rounds
and not care about their losses
23:31 <&AV> also, 2 or 3 teams are just inherently behind the curve on the whole and may not be competitive at all
23:32 <&AV> I think 4 first round protects and a max of 3 steals from each team instead of 2 each round may alleviate things

the other question is whether to stick with the $120m salary cap

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I was thinking that 1901-1960 was too wide a window, and something like 1901-1942 would work out better. I don't know if that alleviates any of the problems AV has though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'd have to re-vet all the teams to see if the smaller player pool would work better since I don't recall what teams were most helped by what years. My gut says that it wouldn't change things much.

The trickiest thing here is how to handle a league that's only 16 teams with these kinds of rules. I think fewer initial protects on its own is a good idea since there are going to be fewer total picks in each round of the draft. I'm not sure what to think about raising the cap so that each team can have three players poached from it instead of two, again considering the smaller league. It's possible that 15 of the 16 picks in a round would come from just five teams, which seems odd but could help balance things out for the clunkers in the team pool.

For me, personally, I'd find a 4 keep/3 steal format would be an interesting enough experiment to try once and at least see how it goes.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Two man band: season 2!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Man, I really thought 2 man band would have no trouble filling. Where is everyone?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I made a SLB league, some of you might be interested.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Here's my Stan team

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I may try a few more iterations, but I actually quite like this Stan Musial team.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Five players with 700+ PAs :stare:

e: and a sixth with 698

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Five players with 700+ PAs :stare:

e: and a sixth with 698

Also JACK GLASSCOCK

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I may try a few more iterations, but I actually quite like this Stan Musial team.

Where are you playing this team/what are the park factors?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I haven't decided yet, but it'll definitely be a high double/triple park.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I think I like the other team better. I'm probably not done yet.

Edit: that's huge even for me. I won't be trying out the SALR attach function anymore!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Anyone want to take over this team?

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=142

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Who wants to prog? Everyone loves to prog. If you like to prog, you get to take over this team, or at least their 1948 counterparts. You also get a lottery pick in the first round of the 1948 draft, the 1st or 2nd pick in every round after that, and a couple future 1949 second rounders!

So if you like to prog, and you want to prog with us, come prog with TBB's old team! Drafting in about two weeks!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If anyone feels like an impromptu, pseudo-goon rush, I just joined an OL with my Delmon Dogg-inspired team that has 7 spots remaining and none of the usual suspects.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

If anyone feels like an impromptu, pseudo-goon rush, I just joined an OL with my Delmon Dogg-inspired team that has 7 spots remaining and none of the usual suspects.

I just hopped in there too, still six slots open

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Thinking of jumping in with this team just for shits and giggles. It'd probably lose a lot of games.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Anyone interested in the Zodiac League rebirth?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

In like Flynn

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I was going to join, but I absolutely cannot decide which years/league to take. I may need someone to just tell me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Take NL Dragon so you can use Bryce

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Take NL Dragon so you can use Bryce

I'm going to use him, but he's going to suck and i'm going to be very sad.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Mine is not nearly as good as yours :(

• Locked thread