Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's really sad how much reading this thread makes me want to play this game. Then i log on and im just bored out of my mind. Does anyone have any type of fun questlines or something similar for me to do to break up the tediousness of grinding? I've already done the J5 merc questline. Not that i would even want to do that anyway, that poo poo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe i should just start a mage/mage/mage 3 box and blow poo poo up?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I don't remember exactly what level your box crew is, but the HoT progression missions are excellent. XP's just as good as the regular HoT zones, so you get to grind without realizing you're grinding

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You could start up a new box crew for some fresh fun. New classes, new spells, very fast levelling and sense of reward. You never know what you suddenly end up playing.

Also seconding starting HoT missions. They're challenging, reward useful loot and the XP just flows in.

Some other random stuff I've done throughout the years:

- Complete Plane of Sky from Island 1 to 8, complete your class' quests there
- Complete epics, from 1.0 to 2.0 the full way.
- Do Tradeskills just for the sake of
- Do some of your class' ancient, class-defining quests such as Monk headbands+robes, Rogue Burning Rapier, Mage focus Staves, etc.
- Do the entire Coldain Ring and/or Coldain Prayer Shawl quest line
- Set out to kill the entire line of old raid bosses from Trakanon to Vulak

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

I hate you gimme your Fear drop

Now I just have to wait another 36 hours for a stupid turn in mob to re-pop because stupid Everquest and its stupids think that a 36 hour respawn is fine for a mob you have to do multiple turn ins with. Stupids.

After that it's kill Lhranc and me finish.

You have your 2.0, I don't, so I think we're even.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm fine with people killing old raid bosses for a specific item they need, or killing them on occasion for nostalgia purposes, but monopolizing something for months at a time just to sell its drops and/or multiquests are the actions of an rear end in a top hat.

Of course, now that those old non instanced raid zones are only used for nostalgia, epic quests, and the occasional clickable effect item, they should just drop their respawn timers to an hour or two. Not that SoE ever touches old content anymore.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

It's really sad how much reading this thread makes me want to play this game. Then i log on and im just bored out of my mind. Does anyone have any type of fun questlines or something similar for me to do to break up the tediousness of grinding? I've already done the J5 merc questline. Not that i would even want to do that anyway, that poo poo sucks.

I haven't been on in a couple of weeks myself, but I was finding most of the RoF content pretty decent, until I got stuck on those stupid kill bunnies in eastern wastes quests (though they just patched it to spawn more of the fuckers).

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

cycomatix posted:

I haven't been on in a couple of weeks myself, but I was finding most of the RoF content pretty decent, until I got stuck on those stupid kill bunnies in eastern wastes quests (though they just patched it to spawn more of the fuckers).

The House of Thule stuff was decent too. Cycomatix and I were building up my tank there, but I was a bit low level to begin with. Once I could tank stuff, it was a lot of fun. We have done really well in RoF well. After the loving bunnies we have been playing Minecraft. We each two box though, so we have a pretty good group for killing stuff. I play an SK and box a bard. Cyco plays a rogue and boxes a Shaman. We use a healer and melee merc to round the group out.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Now I just have to wait another 36 hours for a stupid turn in mob to re-pop because stupid Everquest and its stupids think that a 36 hour respawn is fine for a mob you have to do multiple turn ins with. Stupids.

After that it's kill Lhranc and me finish.

You have your 2.0, I don't, so I think we're even.

I would straight up trade my 2.0 in its entirety for that one Fear drop. There are annoying parts of the 2.0, but nothing that's permacamped and impossible :(

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I managed to kill the three golems in Fear last night at like 2am and got a couple epic pieces if anyone needs. Got two balls of everliving golem and a couple Soul Leech swords. I also have an excess of Puppet strings so if anyone on test needs these I'd be glad to oblige.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

I would straight up trade my 2.0 in its entirety for that one Fear drop. There are annoying parts of the 2.0, but nothing that's permacamped and impossible :(

Am I the only one who smiled darkly at this and thought about how Kharma comes 'round to bite people in the rear end sometimes?

Look, I got my Soul Leech via a generous person, as did Lasombr. Why not just try it that way? Maybe some of those farming fuckers have so much cash now that they will give poo poo like that away because they already have full bank accounts...

Then again, it is widely known that everyone on Test has millions of platinum each.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

funzo2226 posted:

I managed to kill the three golems in Fear last night at like 2am and got a couple epic pieces if anyone needs. Got two balls of everliving golem and a couple Soul Leech swords. I also have an excess of Puppet strings so if anyone on test needs these I'd be glad to oblige.

Dibs on one of those Soul Leeches please!

^^^ My karma seems just fine now :colbert:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Cool now do an Anguish orb run with me on Test. :swoon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Haha finally got my account that was banned years ago by a friend who played it after I quit back and logged in to get some nostalgia going. I expected to see my lvl 56 cleric and 33 magician...looks like the dude was busy before he got banned, so I have a lvl 70 monk and a lvl 65 SK as well as my cleric is now 65.

Of course, he was banned for duping items, so I'm guessing that's why all the characters are pretty much naked.

Is there any multi-boxing software out there other than Isboxer, even if it's not too complex, even just letting you use "real" full screen windowed mode? I want to run around with both my accounts, but have no intention of playing seriously, just want to run into some old zones so buying Isboxer doesn't seem like a wise investment.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Cool now do an Anguish orb run with me on Test. :swoon:

Okie dokie. It'll be dirt simple on Test since I can actually use my gear. Is your shaman 68+ or did you drop his rear end? We'll need 6 for the instance and I can only bring 4 :(

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Okie dokie. It'll be dirt simple on Test since I can actually use my gear. Is your shaman 68+ or did you drop his rear end? We'll need 6 for the instance and I can only bring 4 :(

Shaman is 85 but it's no the same account as the SK.

I guess I could transfer it and use f2p on it on Test if I'm feeling frisky.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
To everyone/anyone coming to do the anguish orb run tonight: if it hinges on my being there we may have to reschedule or at least cut things short (like do just warden hanvar/ture or something). It appears that my girlfriend planned a last minute semi-surprise dinner since she returns to school tomorrow from a break, so my priorities for the evening have, uh, forcibly shifted.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Creative Bicycle posted:

To everyone/anyone coming to do the anguish orb run tonight: if it hinges on my being there we may have to reschedule or at least cut things short (like do just warden hanvar/ture or something). It appears that my girlfriend planned a last minute semi-surprise dinner since she returns to school tomorrow from a break, so my priorities for the evening have, uh, forcibly shifted.

Similarly, I have a dinner I have to head to. I'm not sure when it will end but I'll try to be on to do anguish

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Eh we can just drag someone else along. It takes all of 20 minutes when you only need 1 orb

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

Confession is good for the soul.

Creative Bicycle posted:

Vomik posted:

Similarly, I have a dinner I have to head to. I'm not sure when it will end but I'll try to be on to do anguish

Thank you for letting us know. Even one or two orbs would be nice. I would like to get Integ one, and I think Gorec has his 1.5 as well, assuming that he shows.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Shrapnac posted:

Lemme get in on this anguish thing, got potentially 4 i could bring (91 rogue, 91 bard, almost 80 ranger and shaman)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just did some quick and dirty research on Anguish, specifically in regards to Orb drops, and this is what I found out on the heels of earlier confusion tonight.

You do have to kill Ture and Warden Hanvar for one Orb, as we discovered.
Another Orb can be had by killing Keldovan the Harrier & Jelvan in tandem, but I remember nothing about these guys as I have not seen them in 6-8 months.
Arch Magus Vangl also drops one Orb, but can only be done after the previous 4 aforementioned bosses have gone down.
Finally, Overlord Mata Muram himself, who can only be done after Vangl, drops one Orb and sometimes two, apparently.

So, for those who were involved in our abridged raid tonight, that is how that works.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2013

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I just did some quick and dirty research on Anguish, specifically in regards to Orb drops, and this is what I found out on the heels of earlier confusion tonight.

You do have to kill Ture and Warden Hanvar for one Orb, as we discovered.
Another Orb can be had by killing Keldovan the Harrier & Jelvan in tandem, but I remember nothing about these guys as I have not seen them in 6-8 months.
Arch Magus Vangl also drops one Orb, but can only be done after the previous 4 aforementioned bosses have gone down.
Finally, Overlord Mata Muram himself, who can only be done after Vangl, drops one Orb and sometimes two, apparently.

So, for those who were involved in our abridged raid tonight, that is how that works.

Ty for the orb guys, much appreciated.

Also, we did kill Keldovan first, so that's one half of those two.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

iNteg posted:

Ty for the orb guys, much appreciated.

Also, we did kill Keldovan first, so that's one half of those two.

We did. I was just looking at the map of Anguish (see below) and we passed right by Jelvan (#8). I kind of wish that we had taken the time and done him so we could have gotten another Orb.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 14, 2013

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

JustJeff88 posted:

We did. I was just looking at the map of Anguish (see below) and we passed right by Jelvan (#8). I kind of wish that we had taken the time and done him so we could have gotten another Orb.

I passed by him for a good reason. I need MrTheDevious to explain to me how the gently caress his event works again cause ive only seen it once and it seemed like a nightmare.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Creative Bicycle posted:

I passed by him for a good reason. I need MrTheDevious to explain to me how the gently caress his event works again cause ive only seen it once and it seemed like a nightmare.

HA Jelvan's the only really annoying fight in the zone other than OMM.

Keldovan gimmick - pigs spawn in those pits. If you leave the pigs up, he'll AE cripple everything you do which sucks when your heals are 80% less powerful. What I do is just pull Keldovan into the pits and tank him + pigs. Pigs are extra nice just because they're free heals if your tank's an SK.

Jelvan - Say some poo poo to Jelvan, 3 mobs spawn in that pit. The gimmick is that if you don't bring them down in HP at the same rate, they start firing off AEs. The AEs are bitch AEs now, so I just ignore the gimmick. Nobody goes into pit except the tank. Tank starts event, falls in, grabs all 3, then drags them into one of the cells. Plant your back in a corner and just tank all 3. Everyone else comes in and focuses one down. Healers can stay outside the cell at max heal range and avoid most of the AEs. The only thing that sucks is if you don't have a healer in each group. As long as you've got a healer in each, generally 1 group heal every so often is all you have to do. They hit like total wusses so if you're tanking it with an SK you basically don't need heals at all on the tank. If it's giving you trouble still, you can cheese your way through by training from KTH around to the Jelvan side ramp that lets you get into the pit directly without having to jump down. Drag your bigass train in circles while someone else starts the event, scoop those up to, head to a cell and hit 2.0. The trash mobs are so lovely that you pretty much stay pegged at 100% as long as they're alive. Make sure to kill enough of em off along the way to keep MC up and you're done. This has the additional benefit of making you look like a total badass. If your tank isn't an SK, you'll have to go the longer route of convincing your tank he screwed up by not being an SK, then waiting on him to level a new SK up.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Alternate strategy: Tank all three pigs guys in the circle area below Jelvan. Focus on and kill one at a time till all three die. Spend 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get up to the chest.

All the gimmicks are dumb, boring and don't do anything.

Who needs CoA orbs or DoN progression on Xegony? :/

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Creative Bicycle posted:

My friend and I just steamrolled that without much problem or any preparation with his BL and my Nec, didn't notice anything too scary.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

D C posted:

My friend and I just steamrolled that without much problem or any preparation with his BL and my Nec, didn't notice anything too scary.

Depends on your level 100%. I can solo the entire zone on my SK, but if the group's all mid 70s to low 80s it gets trickier

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
We did Keld without too much issue, though I let Pyotr (our 87 ranger tank) die when keld was at like 5% because I was casting a radiant cure when I probably should have fired off another heal. Also I was the only healer on my 87 sham for 2 groups while 3 boxing. Warden and Ture were fairly cake though. Next time I'll give Jelvan a try as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Creative Bicycle posted:

We did Keld without too much issue, though I let Pyotr (our 87 ranger tank) die when keld was at like 5% because I was casting a radiant cure when I probably should have fired off another heal. Also I was the only healer on my 87 sham for 2 groups while 3 boxing. Warden and Ture were fairly cake though. Next time I'll give Jelvan a try as well.

My 80 SK is about as AA'd and geared (2.0 included) as an 80 SK that can't use Prestige augs can be, and I would gladly tank what needs to be tanked, but I would have to stay on that SK box and my druid (assuming they would LET him in Anguish) would be pressed to heal due to my constant attention on the tank. Everything important is so sodding resistant in Anguish that my wizard was utterly useless for the Keldovan fight - Keldovan was an even con and his minions were LB, and I did not do one single point of damage in that fight. At least against Ture (especially after Krintix got a Malo on him) I was able to open up and really do some decent damage towards the end.

Wouldn't be opposed to a certain individual from Calgary getting on his former server and giving us a helping hand (unsubtle hint)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Your best bet is actually getting the Shaman one level, because at 88 you get a pair of AMAZING heals, then letting the ranger keep tanking. I'd guess he'd be easier to keep alive than a level 80 by a good bit. Not that it really matters though since Qiriks and AI are stupid awesome heals.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Are any of the orbs obtainable by a small group of high 70s / 80s (like 4?) Assuming one of them is a druid or shaman and not a cleric.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I beat the Jelvan event with two of my buddies when we were in the low to mid eighties in levels. My bard, a paladin, and a monk. The paladin tanked and healed himself, and my mana regen songs were just enough to keep him healing throughout the fight. We just focused on killing the bosses one at a time instead of playing along with the gimmick. It was a very close fight though.

If testcopy was working, I'd bring over my now level 100 raid geared bard to lend a hand. Although I can help out now if anyone is on the cazic server. Send a tell to Ponzicar.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

They're on Luclin, sadly. We've got some beef on Test :black101:

70s-80s as 4 would be close, but doable. You probably will not have the DPS to stay ahead of Hanvar's regen, so that orb's out. I honestly don't remember how decent a healer my Sham was at those levels but it'd be fun for you guys to try :) If you're using an SK tank, he's gonna have to really work his rear end off chaining discs and AAs

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How the gently caress did people do this raid when Omens of War was the most recent expansion, 70 was the level cap, AA was much less, and they didn't have gear starting at 80 that was exponentially more powerful than the best level 70 gear in existence? Seriously, it seems like a small group of 80+ people should be able to tear through this zone like a wind of fury without even breaking a bloody sweat.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

JustJeff88 posted:

How the gently caress did people do this raid when Omens of War was the most recent expansion, 70 was the level cap, AA was much less, and they didn't have gear starting at 80 that was exponentially more powerful than the best level 70 gear in existence? Seriously, it seems like a small group of 80+ people should be able to tear through this zone like a wind of fury without even breaking a bloody sweat.

Gotta remember that Anguish was back in the day when devs were still designing encounters around cheal rotations, which pretty much sums up eq raiding as a whole until tank's hp pools climbed above 20-30k. Also, full raids are, what, like 54 people or some crazy poo poo? EQ endgame raiding is basically developers throwing the kitchen sink at you as well as making sure its essentially impossible to do bleeding edge endgame raiding without having dozens of people each with 4k+ aas.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

JustJeff88 posted:

Tacvi from Gates of Discord was worse. I don't think any guild killed Tunat until Omens of War came out. I spent hours upon hours dying in that hell hole, not to mention the dread of getting people keyed for that nightmare.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

amishpurple posted:

Tacvi from Gates of Discord was worse. I don't think any guild killed Tunat until Omens of War came out. I spent hours upon hours dying in that hell hole, not to mention the dread of getting people keyed for that nightmare.

Raiding Anguish as current content honestly was not that bad. I thought it was one of the better tuned raids in the history of EQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Anguish was okay/interesting at level, but the MPG trials (raid and group, actually) were the part that I really really liked.