Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Please for the love of everything tell me that the pink in Mexico isn't Cornwall. PLEASE.

Nah, Cornwall is a bright flurescent pink. Shame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So is AHD worth it?

If you like Vicky at all, then yes. It's a really good expansion pack, especially combined with A Pop Divided (AHD PDM version).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Tomn posted:

Related question - has anyone ever managed to play EU3 all the way to the end?

Once.

I started as Holland and went with a largely isolationist approach, limiting myself but still ending up with massive holdings. For most of the game the only land borders I had with anybody were the ones with France and the HRE. My colonies in the Americas were only in the Caribbean so I never had any borders to fight over in the Americas. I limited myself to Indonesia and Sri Lanka for the longest time but ended up getting a foothold in India after taking France's outposts there to retaliate against their attack on me. I ended up maxing all my techs and spent the last forty years of the game as a megapowerful Constitutional Republic dismantling the Absolute Monarchy in France into little tiny bits. By the end of the game I had force-culture converted Normandy and Paris into the Greater Netherlands before the game finally ended. If I hadn't limited myself, I very easily could have gone apeshit on the hated French much earlier or conquered swaths of Asia beyond India. My technological supremacy was so absurd by the 1700s that I was defeating French armies three times my size without any real effort.

I need to finish a full EU3 game before EU4 comes out. Maybe I'll start one soon with some good mods, it's certainly been a while.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I've finished full EU3 games in In Nomine (three times) and Heir to the Throne (once), never in DW. I finished one V2 game (vanilla), haven't done that yet for V2: AHD. My proudest achievement in EU3 was a vanilla, to the end game as Adal in In Nomine in which I successfully ended up owning the entirety of sub-Saharan Africa and establishing colonies in the New World and Europe (including London, which I converted to Sunni Islam). I could pull that off because In Nomine was exploitable in ways that the newer versions aren't...I'm not good enough with Divine Wind to do that.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm uncomfortable with the lack of dev diaries from EvW.

E: I NEED TO SUPPORT SOME CONTRAS

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I've finished at least 3 games in Ricky to the end but that is about it. Got a Darkest Hour one to 1946 but perma war with Russia as the Allies kind of sucked. 1674 is the farthest I have made it in EU3 but I'm making a conscious effort to play more EU3 so we will see.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

I think the only game I've ever hit the end date in was in DW with the MiscMods Peace of God scenario. Took Alexandria to owning most of Africa, the Middle East and large chunks of Russia, haven't felt interested enough in a game to take it to completion since. European countries just get really, really tedious as you get closer to the end date and every war is filled with massive armies where you have to pay minute attention to which army is heading where or lose 30-40 regiments instantly.

e: evidently did a bit more than just that, digging up a post I made about the game somewhere else ages ago through the magic of google:

"Expanded my Alexandrian empire to encompass the entirety of the Middle East, Eastern and Southern Africa, Australia and Indonesia. Eventually took most of the Caucasus/Maghreb/southwestern Africa, as well as the southern half of Italy (including Rome, which was a pain with the Austrian Holy Roman Emperor siding with the Pope in my grab for it but the orthodox missionary bonus was a godsend)."

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 14, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've played a few games to completion over the years. I remember posting in the Paradox Interactive Bonanza thread about my games as Alexandria, the Iroquis, Muslim Italy and Muslim Spain. Most of the images I posted were waffleimages, so they're gone now, but I still have two pics from my Lpix archive:

This was my Muslim Spain HTTT game. The original goal was to unite Iberia and then colonise only Africa to see how removing Spain and Portugal from the colonisation mechanics would work. More interesting though was the complete demise of Catholicism, the biggest reformation I've ever seen. (Gold is catholicism, Dark Blue is Reformed, picture uses the EU2 religion colours)

This was a game as the Iroquis in a Miscmods Dark Continent DW game. It was an early build of Dark Continent, so I was doing this as an isolationist to help Brainmeats test the scenario.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I've never completed a game, but in my last few playthroughs that was never the plan. I find it's often more interesting to just set goals and once you've achieved them bail unless you can find another project: the longest one I played was as Muscovy -> Russia which led into a long 1700's war over Alaska (why would you ever stop going east?) with Castille. Now that I'm playing with Wiz's fantastic mod I would like to run it forward to at least the colonial revolter events, as I'm looking forward to revolutionary nations that aren't so railroaded as vanilla. Perhaps at that point I could change to one of them and play from there to the end.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'd like to try eu3+ but my processor is getting real out of date so it runs really slow. Probably about 10x slower than vanilla. Is there a part of the mod that's more taxing than others that I can take out but keep the rest in?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Tomn posted:

I've gotten a few all the way. First was an old Whole World Mod game with Athens skipping town and starting up anew in the Americas. By the end of the game, Canada's monarch was the Holy Roman Emperor, Persia was colonizing Indonesia and conquered Okinawa, and there were Turks in the Kola Peninsula.

Next was a Teutonic Order -> Prussia -> Germany game, and I managed to beat Great Britain to all of what was to become Canada.

After that was the first time I ever completed a "gimmick" game, where I played as a Jewish Ryukyu/Pacific Islander Confederation in Shattered Europe. The Holy Roman Empire united most of Europe and Britannia entered a stalemate with it over the division of France, HRE in the south, Britannia in the north.

Next was a USA game in MiscMods. I managed to yank everything north of Mexico save Quebec and "Canada" (Newfoundland), my allies. Revolutionary France, Persia, Russia, Denmark, and Sweden all went Colonization-happy and gobbled up everything they could when Spain's monarchy ended and it became a Revolutionary Republic. What I was most surprised about/proud of was the Ottomans of all nations ending up a Revolutionary Republic, even allied with the other two. Also the Papal States colonized Tierra del Fuego for... some reason. :psyduck:

And most recently completed was another gimmick one in MiscMods, having Jin Shan/Yingzhou revolt at the very start of the game so I could see what shenanigans I could pull as a North American Buddhist Republic. That game was... insane. Catholicism dominated almost all of Europe, the Middle East, West India, and North Africa mostly thanks to Catalan Spain, the Lithuanian Empire, and Great Britain. I say almost because... well, Ming China abused the hordes like nothing else. They gobbled things up, colonized like it was going out of style, and eventually ate Russia. When the Ming Dynasty finally fell, well...

It didn't get to the same level historical Russia did, but it scared the hell out of everyone in Europe that wasn't Spain, and even then Spain was more occupied with keeping its Empire stable than fighting a war with this... thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So is AHD worth it?
If you already liked Victoria 2, AHD makes it run MUCH faster by adding multi-core support and introduces a lot of really good UI improvements and some key balance changes, such as LF/Interventionist governments being able to invest into projects so you can industrialize without necessarily waiting for your Capitalist POPs to come up with the cash themselves. The new westernization/civilizing system is arguably worse though.

If you didn't like Victoria 2 for its design decisions, AHD doesn't really do anything to help or fix that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My first non-abortive game of EU3 went all the way through. HttT, playing Venice, notable for building a colonial empire without ever taking Quest for the New World, for staying a Merchant Republic up to 1821, and for the Great Emancipation of 1785 where I decided I didn't want to end the game as dishonourable scum so I released almost every possible vassal. Which was immediately followed by a War of French Aggression that lasted a dozen years and featured a stupid amount of tiny vassal armies swarming Le Blob's territory while I desperately held them off in Piedmont.

The next game I did was an incredibly tedious Palatinate -> HRE -> Conquer the whole of Europe, then in the 1600s I switched to Iceland, used its tech advantage to give it an unbeatable fleet just to be safe (I had left the HRE at full Land and nearly no navy), and watched the fireworks for two centuries as the empire slowly collapsed. So I guess I got to 1821 a second time, in a way.

After that nothing, I just played scenarios with goals (unification or survival, typically). I have a MEIOU Milan game that I have no particular endgame goal for, since it's mostly mod sightseeing, but I play it occasionally at best.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Wiz am I supposed to get spammed with CB messages about Imperial Liberation on tag AIO or is something not working right there?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Did I somehow miss this, or haven't anyone linked the EU4 dev diary for France?

Not much to say really, other than that the deterministic style of the country specific national ideas still bugs me. LEF doesn't make a lot of sense if the French monarchy manages to kill The Revolution! Would prefer the national ideas being ones that would make sense no matter what turns the politics of the country takes. Napoleon (instead of just a Napoleon) appearing over 300 years after the start of the game annoys me as well, but at least that's purely cosmetic.

Don't know how I feel bout the 'Harsh Treatment' mechanic, it could just become annoying busywork depending on how it plays out, so I'll guess we'll see. The morale news are more exciting in that regard.

E: The morale thing could make AI allies even more useless though, unless you can tell them ahead of time that you plan on going to war so they can prepare themselves. Should at the very least be a possibility for vassals and junior partners.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 14, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

LEF doesn't make a lot of sense if the French monarchy manages to kill The Revolution!

The same French monarchy that maintained a 150 year alliance with the Ottoman Empire at a time when no one else in Europe would consider allying with the Muslim Turks? :smug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

The same French monarchy that maintained a 150 year alliance with the Ottoman Empire at a time when no one else in Europe would consider allying with the Muslim Turks? :smug:
The same French monarchy who allied with a republic that was the very antithesis of their own ideals? Foreign policy has practically nothing to do with internal policies. :smugbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Historical French policy is very simple, based on two pillars:

1) gently caress the English
2) gently caress the Holy Roman Empire/Hapsburgs

You're welcome.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not much to say really, other than that the deterministic style of the country specific national ideas still bugs me. LEF doesn't make a lot of sense if the French monarchy manages to kill The Revolution! Would prefer the national ideas being ones that would make sense no matter what turns the politics of the country takes. Napoleon (instead of just a Napoleon) appearing over 300 years after the start of the game annoys me as well, but at least that's purely cosmetic.

For what it's worth, I imagine they would have some sort of random name bit there. It does seem odd that Napoleon would take power every time, and I hope they've gone with the random names (like rulers) with "Napoleon Bonaparte" being one of them to take the middle ground between history and pure randomness.

It does seem kind of weird that the revolution is always assumed to be violent and bloody, though. I suppose that's how the French do things? Though I guess peaceful reform would probably just be abstracted in the act of changing one's government type.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Narrator posted:

For what it's worth, I imagine they would have some sort of random name bit there. It does seem odd that Napoleon would take power every time, and I hope they've gone with the random names (like rulers) with "Napoleon Bonaparte" being one of them to take the middle ground between history and pure randomness.
Well, copying history could itself be more unrealistic than random names, if France for example never conquered Corsica. Still, I guess having the naming system being complex enough to add new leader names depending on which minorities exist in your country would be quite a weird thing to prioritize. It's certainly one of the most understandable abstractions.

As for Napoleon taking power every time, that doesn't seem to be the case. From the way they describe it, I would guess it would be another dynamic event. Probably related to the French Republic not getting its poo poo in order, while The Terror would have some other triggers. Kind of interested in seeing how they deal with that, simply due to it being kind of controversial.

The Narrator posted:

It does seem kind of weird that the revolution is always assumed to be violent and bloody, though. I suppose that's how the French do things? Though I guess peaceful reform would probably just be abstracted in the act of changing one's government type.
If you don't mind me asking, what else would you expect from a revolution? Violence is pretty much inherent to revolution, unless the authorities capitulate to enough demands to take the wind out of its sails. They do point out that failure to reform is a major trigger, so a peaceful solution is off the table by that point.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

EU3+
I installed the newest 5.2 beta, the newest EU3+ and started a new game as Holland. When I siege something the Assault button is gone?

It's not in the feature list so I assume it's a bug. I tried reinstalling the game (deleted the EUIII folder, redownloaded it from Steam, turned off automatic updates and completely exited Steam since you can launch the game with the launcher without having Steam running, unzipped the patch into the main folder) and still getting the same thing. Any ideas?

I'm also getting missions to take the Netherlands territories but that do not give me cores on those territories, is that intended?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vodos posted:

EU3+
I installed the newest 5.2 beta, the newest EU3+ and started a new game as Holland. When I siege something the Assault button is gone?

It's not in the feature list so I assume it's a bug. I tried reinstalling the game (deleted the EUIII folder, redownloaded it from Steam, turned off automatic updates and completely exited Steam since you can launch the game with the launcher without having Steam running, unzipped the patch into the main folder) and still getting the same thing. Any ideas?

I'm also getting missions to take the Netherlands territories but that do not give me cores on those territories, is that intended?

EU3+ disables assaults. Sieges progress more quickly to compensate.

And yes, conquest missions have been nerfed a little.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, you get cores on those provinces when you form the Netherlands.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Riso posted:

2) gently caress the Hapsburgs

On the battlefield, or in the bedroom? Because they did a lot of both.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Speaking of completing game talks: I have probably sunk upwards of 300 hours into eu3 alone and never really completed a game. I got to about 1700 as northumberland :shepface:

I did complete a few games in eu2 with the AGCEEP mod, took hussite bohemia into a major power and fought a reverse thirty years war. Played castille and all the fun that entailed with constantly getting events that assassinated your advisors.

I had fun with the dark continent scenario, maybe I should give that a shot again as iceland or faransa.

Different subject though, have we heard anything about the music they're doing for EU IV? I'm genuinely curious to see what direction they take it because I loved some of the tunes in ck2 and eu2 had the perfect soundtrack for this game. Ideally I'd like to see paradox code in a different soundtrack for different eras, reneissance music for 1400-1500, baroque for 1600-1700, classical for 1700-1800 etc. One of the fondest memories I have from eu2 is waging a napoleonic period battle as bohemia with vivaldi's summer blaring and making me cry because I couldn't micromanage fast enough for the music.

Still, andres waldetoft is great, and songs of the rus is amazing. Is that new eu3 music DLC worth it?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jazerus posted:

EU3+ disables assaults. Sieges progress more quickly to compensate.

And yes, conquest missions have been nerfed a little.

Assaults aren't totally disabled as of the 5.2 beta in EU3+. Armies set to auto-hunt rebels (and possibly armies owned by AI controlled nations) will launch assaults sometimes. It is true though that you can't initiate them yourself.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Quantumfate posted:

Speaking of completing game talks: I have probably sunk upwards of 300 hours into eu3 alone and never really completed a game. I got to about 1700 as northumberland :shepface:

I did complete a few games in eu2 with the AGCEEP mod, took hussite bohemia into a major power and fought a reverse thirty years war. Played castille and all the fun that entailed with constantly getting events that assassinated your advisors.

I had fun with the dark continent scenario, maybe I should give that a shot again as iceland or faransa.

Different subject though, have we heard anything about the music they're doing for EU IV? I'm genuinely curious to see what direction they take it because I loved some of the tunes in ck2 and eu2 had the perfect soundtrack for this game. Ideally I'd like to see paradox code in a different soundtrack for different eras, reneissance music for 1400-1500, baroque for 1600-1700, classical for 1700-1800 etc. One of the fondest memories I have from eu2 is waging a napoleonic period battle as bohemia with vivaldi's summer blaring and making me cry because I couldn't micromanage fast enough for the music.

Still, andres waldetoft is great, and songs of the rus is amazing. Is that new eu3 music DLC worth it?

This makes me really sad that CK2 is only playable on this lovely computer with that TrueMute mod installed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

On the battlefield, or in the bedroom? Because they did a lot of both.

Everyone hosed the Hapsburgs. Specially the Hapsburg themselves.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did I somehow miss this, or haven't anyone linked the EU4 dev diary for France?

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

One of the minor things that I really enjoyed about EU3 was how the protestant reformation was caused by a random theologian in a random catholic country. Sure, some times it led to nonsensical results, but most of the time so did it work out great and I liked it. I personally wanted more dynamic yet plausible things like that in EU4, not more deterministic stuff :smith:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eh, I think it's okay. The ideas are usually broad enough not to funnel you drastically in one direction, and may be a factor for AI to behave more like a given nation should.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what else would you expect from a revolution? Violence is pretty much inherent to revolution, unless the authorities capitulate to enough demands to take the wind out of its sails. They do point out that failure to reform is a major trigger, so a peaceful solution is off the table by that point.

I suppose I was more picturing the American revolution (if it could be called a 'proper' revolution), where the government is forcibly overthrown through violence, but a government that more or less has its poo poo in order steps in with a realistic-ish constitution, etc. etc. Although looking back, it does seem like there's a pretty poor batting average for revolutions :(

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I actually really like the idea of it being possible for Napoleon to actually appear in your game even if you don't start in the Napoleonic Wars scenario. Imagine trying to keep your collapsing nation going, seeing those rising rebel chances along with those loans coming due sooner than you can afford it, and all of a sudden a revolutionary rebel army lead by Napoleon Bonaparte pops up. It'd be way more terrifying to see Napoleon pop up then just *random French guy* is revolting! Although one thing I'd also like to see; if the Protestant Reformation in your game doesn't happen in Germany, the name of your Martin Luther changes; so if it starts in Poland you get Martin Kowalski, if it's in France you get Martin De Anjou, if things go really bad you get Martin Di Roma and if things go really strange you get Martin Kasperov. Napoleon wouldn't really work because it's a really French name, but Martin seems common enough that you could at least find a local version of the name that's recognizably similar.

E: Although I do agree if you play as a France that stays an absolute monarchy and manages to brutally crush the French Revolution without making massive liberal reforms, I don't think it would make sense to gain the National Idea Liberty, Egalite & Fraternity. Then again, most likely we will see a Day 0 mod that will check if Revolutionary France ever existed and if it never did/the flag for it never activated, it is replaced with some other idea like Vive La Roi!, prestige decay decreased, bonus discipline.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 14, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrProsek posted:

if the Protestant Reformation in your game doesn't happen in Germany, the name of your Martin Luther changes; so if it starts in Poland you get Martin Kowalski, if it's in France you get Martin De Anjou, if things go really bad you get Martin Di Roma and if things go really strange you get Martin Kasperov. Napoleon wouldn't really work because it's a really French name, but Martin seems common enough that you could at least find a local version of the name that's recognizably similar.

What if you, by some freak happenstance of history, were to play as Catholic China? When the reformation rolls around, would you find Martin Chang or Martin Li popping up? :colbert:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

What if you, by some freak happenstance of history, were to play as Catholic China? When the reformation rolls around, would you find Martin Chang or Martin Li popping up? :colbert:

:allears: if you end up with Catholic China, things in your game have gone very strange, but more importantly they've gone really awesome. In EUIII as I recall the game already has a pool of dynasty names tied to culture and leader/monarch names tied to tag, just move all names to culture and wherever the reformation begins, take Martin or a name from the culture of the nation where the reformation is happening that is the local equivilant of the German name Martin and plug in a last name from the culture of the place where the reformation is happening.

Now I'm wondering if in EUIII+ a Catholic Celestial Empire China would qualify for forming Judea, like a Catholic Daimyo would. I don't think it's possible without cheating but drat it, the Han Kingdom of Jerusalem is too cool to not cheat for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kainser posted:

I personally wanted more dynamic yet plausible things like that in EU4, not more deterministic stuff :smith:
Yeah, pretty much. I'm pretty hopeful in regards to being able to mod a lot of the stuff I dislike the most in the dev diaries, so that's at least a major plus. Nonsensical national ideas seem like the easiest thing to mod really.

Lichtenstein posted:

Eh, I think it's okay. The ideas are usually broad enough not to funnel you drastically in one direction, and may be a factor for AI to behave more like a given nation should.
Well, I actually like the concept, it's just specific choices for ideas that I dislike. Because really, if I'm playing as a Protestant France that tries to force Protestantism on its neighbors, I don't suddenly want to get an idea that buffs tolerance of the hated Papists. In contrast, the idea that improves defensibility doesn't force another narrative on me, it's just a nice bonus if I'm at war. (And a nice way to make France even more of a monster, without making it even more dangerous on the offensive. Well, not directly at least.)

The Narrator posted:

I suppose I was more picturing the American revolution (if it could be called a 'proper' revolution), where the government is forcibly overthrown through violence, but a government that more or less has its poo poo in order steps in with a realistic-ish constitution, etc. etc. Although looking back, it does seem like there's a pretty poor batting average for revolutions :(
Well, the American "revolution" can hardly be called a revolution at all, it's just the upper class deciding they would prefer the existing social order minus the very top. Not really that different from noblemen in Europe putting a weak king in a golden cage. The problems of the French Revolution were not really due to its intrinsic features either, but the fact that France was full of possible counter-revolutionaries and bordered by a bunch of reactionary states. Would probably have fared alright if it had switched places with America. (And America would have been crushed.)

DrSunshine posted:

Considering how Hong Kongers happily adopted a Western first name for political/business reasons, I could see Catholic Chinese doing the same for dealing with the Pope. It's not like kings and poo poo in Europe didn't just get renamed, or used different names, depending on where they were/who they were kings of.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Quantumfate posted:

As long as it doesn't put me to sleep/get very repetitive like in EU3 it'll be fine.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I actually like the concept, it's just specific choices for ideas that I dislike. Because really, if I'm playing as a Protestant France that tries to force Protestantism on its neighbors, I don't suddenly want to get an idea that buffs tolerance of the hated Papists. In contrast, the idea that improves defensibility doesn't force another narrative on me, it's just a nice bonus if I'm at war. (And a nice way to make France even more of a monster, without making it even more dangerous on the offensive. Well, not directly at least.)

Well to be fair, it's easier to wipe out the Catholics within France when they revolt less and it doesn't really affect going to war with Catholics to force them to stop being Catholics. Unless they are keeping hidden things like the Bill of Rights idea not telling you that you also get the liberation CB, it doesn't seem like LEF will remove your ability to wage religious wars.

On the other hand, I do agree that the idea only helps if you don't have a religiously homogenous population, and if that's your end goal, once you achieve it the idea will be useless to you. Sort of a disadvantage by a lack of advantage, but still it can hurt when it's otherwise neck and neck with another superpower whose ideas are more versatile. Like if LEF was just a flat RR deduction, it would help no matter what boat France is in while heretic and heathen tolerance isn't helpful unless you have them.

E: Plus again, repressive monarchies that stop the French Revolution getting LEF is weird.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quantumfate posted:

The nice thing about the new music engine from CK2 is that it will be really really easy to replicate the EUII style of having different era sound tracks.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a comprehensive guide to marriage for CK 2 somewhere? I'm finally coming to grips with all the mechanics of titles, claims, and succession, but I still draw blanks when it comes time to decide who to marry my daughters and heirs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

Li Mading

• Locked thread