Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Brave New World posted:

I have a Captain on Landroval that needs to run the two GA 3mans pretty soon. The problem is, it seems that both the Ivar fight and Grimbark are constructed in such a way that you absolutely have to have only the "pure" Tank/Heal/DPS classes if you want to run these anywhere near on-level due to their difficulty. It seems that Captains, LMs and maybe Burgs too are the odd man out for both fights.

We only faced Grimbark before Hoboknife helped power us through the instances. Our issue was mostly lacking a healer. A Captain at that level simply can't put out enough healing to keep up with the damage from Grimbark and all of the adds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepod
Nov 12, 2008
I reactivated my account a couple weeks ago, I've never played with goons before so should be interesting.

Level 72 Guardian named Osserc

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Rarity posted:

How much XP do you get from an instance run? I've been avoiding them because in WoW you'd get a whole level from one run and I want to take it slow so I can see as much as I can

It is good xp to top off your xp bar but do it for mainly items, grouping with other people and for the :words:. The content is rather easy so you can do it with an unorthodox group composition (main tank-less pain train groups are great). I really like the Fellowship Maneuver mechanic, dogpiling on a troll and summoning an Ent to stomp it really feels good.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
I'm at 26 with Oros, and would really like to try and run the barrows (and the small ones for the Bree Country Club quests) - Anyone in the same level-range? I would really like to try them on "on-level".

Oh, and could I get a sanity check on this plan?
(Mithril/3pack bought, 2000 TP in bank, Char created under VIP)

Make it to 30-31-32'ish in Lone-Lands (Forsaken inn 70% done, Ost Guruth/Garth Agarwen not touched)
Evendim until 40. (Bought with Mithril TP already)
Trollshaws to ~45. (Not sure if needed)
Eregion to ~52. (TP needed?)
Moria to ~58. (MoM)
Lothlórien to ~60. (MoM/SoM)
Mirkwood and Enedwaith to ~65. (SoM/ROI)
Dunland/Gap/Isengard to ~70. (ROI)

Lars fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 14, 2013

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Lars posted:

I'm at 26 with Oros, and would really like to try and run the barrows (and the small ones for the Bree Country Club quests) - Anyone in the same level-range? I would really like to try them on "on-level".

Oh, and could I get a sanity check on this plan?

Evendim to 40, Forochel to 45, Eregion to 50+, Moria will last you until well past 60, especially if you actually finish Eregion's quests. I quit about halfway through Eregion and I'm already 62 yet only maybe halfway to two thirds done with Moria.

Also, you do not want to try levelling in the Trollshaws. It's so spread out that you spend more time riding around wasting time than actually progressing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Evendim is good, but gets a bit tedious sticking with it from 30-40 imo. There's enough quests and junk to do it (I skipped all the lower level stuff in the south, started at Tinnudir), but after swimming back across the lake for the tenth time and spending an hour stuck on the salamander island you'll want somewhere else to go.

Skirms & instances might do the job, but I was glad to have Trollshaws to break it up a bit.

I'm not your typical mmo guy though so ymmv.

Speaking of I'll probably need a fellowship for the last part of the narsil questline in evendim, right? No inspiration?

How overlevelled do you need to be to tackle full fellowship stuff solo?

Also need 13 lebethron planks. Promise to quit woodworking forever after that.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Drone posted:

Seconding this. I hit 32 guardian last night and (tried to) run one of the 3-man instances for Garth Agarwen with two goons (Zarthelion, 36 captain and Lowthing, 33 hunter). We weren't able to beat the boss without a main healer, but had a really good time trying to figure everything out, dying a lot, and generally being adorable newbies. In the end Hoboknife joined us on his 85 minstrel and ran us through the rest of the instances, and I got myself a sweet teal Eglain shield out of the deal after cashing in my tokens. Instances in this game with goons are a lot of fun.

I was Lowthing. It was really good fun getting squished, watching the swimming races and generally being confused by moving foliage.
I have to second what was said earlier in the thread about taking part in chat. I am terrible when it comes to not saying much while playing- I am glad someone suggested doing a GA run.

I would be up for a barrows run sometime. I am in the UK and have a baby, so finding a window may be fun though!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I was Lowthing. It was really good fun getting squished, watching the swimming races and generally being confused by moving foliage.
I have to second what was said earlier in the thread about taking part in chat. I am terrible when it comes to not saying much while playing- I am glad someone suggested doing a GA run.

I would be up for a barrows run sometime. I am in the UK and have a baby, so finding a window may be fun though!

Hit me up, Oros will probably be 30+ tonight. And I'm GMT+1 with 2 kids, so just as unavailable as you.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I am also in the UK with a baby but seem to be on quite a bit so hit me up also! so if we manage to co-ordinate then hit up Borthar, 35 Burglar.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm GMT+1 as well and would be down for grouping again. I'm in-game fairly often, hit me up there. If I'm not on Dronendil, I'm probably on my minstrel alt, Enord.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is Barrows scaleable? I'm a couple of tasks away from unlocking my fifth class trait at 39 (just finished grinding out a couple new ones too) and could be up for some actual action tonight, if people can stomach an overpower guard getting in the way.

edit: unless I hit the gym. Skipped it over the weekend so I could craft and level my alt gently caress what is happening to me?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 14, 2013

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

sassassin posted:

Is Barrows scaleable? I'm a couple of tasks away from unlocking my fifth class trait at 39 (just finished grinding out a couple new ones too) and could be up for some actual action tonight, if people can stomach an overpower guard getting in the way.

edit: unless I hit the gym. Skipped it over the weekend so I could craft and level my alt gently caress what is happening to me?

You're Gooning. Hit the gym.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Is there much of a difference when it comes down to dual-wielding vs using a two-handed weapon on a champion? I just took the two-handed hammer from my level 30 quest and I really love the change in style right now, it feels so right for a Dwarf to be doing that. Are they pretty much even or is one vastly superior?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd also join in for barrows fun. 26 or 27 hunter currently. My gear sucks for the most part - Find made me an awesome trio of bows, and...gently caress I blanked on the name, but someone else made me some good stat-sticks for my melee weapons, but other than that it's just what I've found plus a few things I made myself in tailoring. I'd love to get some real dungeon loot.

This game has its hooks into me good right now. Really enjoying it. I also just love seeing the poo poo from the book in-game. I nerd out over it more than is healthy.

Can anyone talk about Deeds to me for a few minutes? My traits look pretty weak, except for Charity, because I quest like a mother fucker. But Charity doesn't look good for a hunter.

-Are they something I should be taking time to work on?
-Class deeds (like "use this skill 1000 times") don't seem to go up on gray mobs, correct (and no, I wasn't at the daily limit - it said it could still be incremented)?
-What about kill deeds on gray mobs?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Seems like we have a lot of 26-30 interest - great :)
As for deeds:

Worth the time: Probably, can't really say yet.
Only slayer deeds advance if you're fighting grey mobs. Your class and skill deeds won't.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
For better or worse I pretty much chose my virtues based on "roleplaying" reasons and didn't worry about them from that point on beyond grinding a deed or two to fix some really under leveled traits.

That being said, class deeds do indeed not increment on an enemy that is too far below your level. Slayer deeds don't care, because they're usually regionally based and to put level limits on them would mean you had to grind them before out leveling them.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Can I get an invite for my alt, Dorindol?

Thanks Xobbit!

Vaxine fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2013

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

ukrainius maximus posted:

Is there much of a difference when it comes down to dual-wielding vs using a two-handed weapon on a champion? I just took the two-handed hammer from my level 30 quest and I really love the change in style right now, it feels so right for a Dwarf to be doing that. Are they pretty much even or is one vastly superior?

There's a brief period where using a two handed weapon gives you better dps but it doesn't last very long. You'll soon start picking up one handed weapons that when combined do far more damage. Enjoy yourself in the meantime and switch when it makes sense to do so.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

At 85 due to a set bonus DW has a slight advantage in non mounted combat. But its not a huge difference so I'd say just play whichever you find the most enjoyable. For a couple expansions 2-hander was higher dps than dw but I never liked it as much so have been DW the whole time. Never felt it inhibited me in any way.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I'm assuming there are a few other Landroval goons out there -- if any of you need someone to run with, by god grab me if you have room. I've been playing this game on and off since open beta and have never managed a level-capped character and haven't seen 99.9% of the instances available.

Foxglove, 50 burglar and Naliriel 48 loremaster at your service.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

And again, I can't decide what class to play. I've played them all, I want a fresh start and I like all of them.
Would someone be so kind and drop a name, no questions asked?

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
Aren't the Nazgun short on Champs? I seem to remember someone saying so a while back.

headsupsevenup
Sep 22, 2004

Okay.
Burglars own, they get off to a pretty slow start but once you're into your 70s you just start tearing through mobs once you can auto-crit from stealth, just make sure you have up-to-date weapons with you. I'm Ranad on Silverlode, feel free to send me a mail for weapons, otherwise there are a few weaponsmiths in the kinship that are more than happy to help out.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

headsupsevenup posted:

Burglars own, they get off to a pretty slow start but once you're into your 70s you just start tearing through mobs once you can auto-crit from stealth

On my Burglar I don't quite destroy mobs at 85 as quickly as I did around 70-75 since the ones I fight have an average of 11k morale now, but they're still dead in 10 seconds or less. I'm working on one of the Hytbold sets that has a 5 piece bonus which makes Aim guarantee a devastating crit, so I'm sure I'll go back to killing stuff in like 5 seconds again soon.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

sassassin posted:

Evendim is good, but gets a bit tedious sticking with it from 30-40 imo. There's enough quests and junk to do it (I skipped all the lower level stuff in the south, started at Tinnudir), but after swimming back across the lake for the tenth time and spending an hour stuck on the salamander island you'll want somewhere else to go.
There are quick-travel ferries between Tinnundir, salamander island, the northwest corner and a landing down by Men Erain (southeast). The geezers here will tell you about the old days when it was not so, and they had to swim, and lived in caves.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wuxi posted:

And again, I can't decide what class to play. I've played them all, I want a fresh start and I like all of them.
Would someone be so kind and drop a name, no questions asked?

We have a ton of guardians and (I think?) minstrels, but really play whatever you want. This is really the most casual game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DW/2H have very different skill rotations and feel to them, so play whichever you're most comfortable with. There is no content in this game that requires perfect minmaxing, and if you like the look of one weapon, use it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Remy Marathe posted:

There are quick-travel ferries between Tinnundir, salamander island, the northwest corner and a landing down by Men Erain (southeast). The geezers here will tell you about the old days when it was not so, and they had to swim, and lived in caves.

Apparently those are paywall luxuries, according to a free player that recently went through there.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh ouch- wait how do you quest in Evendim without paying anything?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
VIP paywall.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Dirty bastards, I would've thought VIP access to Evendim would carry all the perks of owning that quest pack, I mean that's its thing.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The boats fall under the Swift Travel restriction, which is one of those VIP only features you get to keep when you downgrade back down to Premium but that isn't inherent to the premium tier.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I finally started on the Rohan Epic Quest line, and over the weekend got my horse. This thread title is surprisingly accurate, driving that thing is painful. Can I dump points into the horse agility to make it handle any better, or is it still going to be ice skating everywhere? And for that matter, what is the speed of the war horse as compared to a 62% or 68% horse? I like that it lists the speed for them in meter/s, but they didn't go back and change all the other horses, so I can't easily compare speeds.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah, they all cost TP for non subscribers. I had a fun time of it.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

SeaTard posted:

I finally started on the Rohan Epic Quest line, and over the weekend got my horse. This thread title is surprisingly accurate, driving that thing is painful. Can I dump points into the horse agility to make it handle any better, or is it still going to be ice skating everywhere?

Yes, dump points in agility, you'll notice a big difference in the handling after you do. As for bridle legacies, make sure you go with reducing power cost and max out war steed agility. The rest doesn't matter as much in the long run... at least with the current content we have. I can ride up on something, stop on a dime, turn the horse around and sprint off in another direction and it looks like a scene out of a western. It isn't like that at the start, but it gets there.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Here, I've been meaning to write up a thing and now I did:
Guide to Permanent LOTRO ownership of most content for around $110, for the patient and inordinately cheap
Note that if you find yourself in a position to take full advantage of a sale in a later phase, it's fine to act on it- the sales are unpredictable and you could be waiting a while for any particular one.

Phase 1: $20-$25
Order the Mines of Moria retail box off of Amazon, this way because it includes 1 month of VIP. Don't buy used, don't buy codemasters version.
You'll gain Warden and Runekeeper classes and two character slots from MoM.
You'll gain 500TP from the VIP that comes with it. Use up all 5 character slots this month, you don't have to play them but you do have to log in with them- they'll forever have 5 bags and swift travel and virtues and no gold cap all of which would otherwise nickel and dime you later. Try to resist the urge to blow your 500TP, only spend what you've earned via questing.

You could also save yourself some TP by getting all those alts to 20 for the riding skill quest while you have VIP, but as this is a guide for the patient and that'd leave them all outleveled for the starter zones with nothing but the Lone Lands ahead, I wouldn't do that.

Phase 2: $45 and some patience
Monkey around and play the game casually, enjoying the starter zones and Lone Lands. Take your time, smell the roses because the starter zones rule. During this phase you should watch for and act on the following two sales:

$35: LOTRO store sale: "Double Bonus Points on TP"
Past example: http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2012/08/double-bonus-points-until-august-19-2012/
Check for it here every Thursday evening: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale
$35 Gains you 4100TP.
If you have more money and want more TP to spend on horsies and disablers and stuff, step up the purchase to your heart's content but this is a cheapskate's guide. You'll need these 4100 TP later for content.

$10: Mithril Edition on Game Stop
Gains you 2000TP, Trollshaws, Eregion and Lothlorien (and Moria redundantly)
At full price it's $20, pay that if you get desperate for something past lone lands and ignore all the complaining about Trollshaws. There are giants and trolls, creepy undead moans at night, it's cool in its way. $20 is still more or less the going rate for 2000TP so you aren't exactly getting jacked.

Phase 3: $40 on expansions, content is covered.

After you've hit those two sales and the month of VIP, you should have 6600TP, +/- what you've earned questing and blown. Now watch for sales on content, holding out for 30% off or better.
The sale to watch for to end all your waiting:
LOTRO store sale: "Determine Your Discount"
past example: http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2012/11/determine-your-discount-sale-3/
Check for it here every Thursday evening: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale
This sale sometimes runs for only a few days, not the full week, so check the beginnings of sale weeks. This is the time to buy a giant wad of content and other things you like, unless you can catch them individually at 35% off first.

Spending over 3000TP gets you 30% off the purchase.

Quest Packs + Mirkwood: 3549 TP total (discounted)
697 "Expansion" (now Quest Pack): Mirkwood (30%)
417 Quest Pack: North Downs (30%)
487 Quest Pack: Misty Mountains (30%)
417 Quest Pack: Forochel (30%)
417 Quest Pack: Evendim (30%)
557 Quest Pack: Angmar (30%)
557 Quest Pack: Great River (30%)
487 Quest Pack: Enedwaith (30%)

Skirmishes: 1936 TP total (discounted)
277 Skirmish: Thievery & Mischief (30%)
277 Skirmish: The Icy Crevasse (30%)
277 Skirmish: Survival: Barrow Downs (30%)
277 Skirmish: Ford of Bruinen (30%)
277 Skirmish: Defence of the Prancing Pony (30%)
137 Skirmish: Stand at Amon Sul (30%)
277 Skirmish: Storm on Methedras (30%)
137 Skirmish: Attack at Dawn (30%)

Non-Expansion Instances: 274 total (discounted)
137 Instance: Inn of the Forsaken (30% off)
137 Instance: Halls of Night (30%)
not sure about Draigoch's lair.

Pick up Isengard whenever you need it
$20, or maybe it will go on sale again some day. Haven't seen a sale on it since they cut all editions down to the basic one.

Watch for 50% off Rohan
$20, if you can wait till there's a 50% off sale. Hopefully this doesn't only happen during Thanksgiving/Xmas.
Gains 1000TP, I used mine to buy a 6th bag slot account-wide but whatever.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

SeaTard posted:

I finally started on the Rohan Epic Quest line, and over the weekend got my horse. This thread title is surprisingly accurate, driving that thing is painful. Can I dump points into the horse agility to make it handle any better, or is it still going to be ice skating everywhere? And for that matter, what is the speed of the war horse as compared to a 62% or 68% horse? I like that it lists the speed for them in meter/s, but they didn't go back and change all the other horses, so I can't easily compare speeds.

Agility makes a world of difference, as does the yellow line. Both of my trait trees started in the yellow line/agility to make the horse maneuverable.

War-steeds make all other ones obsolete, in terms of speed. I still will use a regular mount in town on occasion for maneuverability, but once you invest in the skill trees it's not a big difference in agility.

Did I miss all the Riders of Rohan expansion sales? I was busy playing Far Cry :(

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah Moria, Rohan xpacs and the Expansion Triple Pack (Moria/MirkwoodRohan) were all half-price on the week of black Friday, and again around Christmas for a while.

e;vvvvv if you equip 3 "Defender of the Free" traits your shield-taunt should go from 5 to 7 targets, and the trait "Litany of Challenge" will bring challenge from 3 to 5 targets.

Also I feel your pain, I failed hard tanking my first GB run last night- I may have done a little better if I'd asked everyone to hold fire till I could get everything at least initially stuck to me.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 14, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So i just ran a few instances of barrow-Downs with some goons and i was the main tank for the group. Is BD a good precursor as to what is to come in terms of dungeons? A lot of the pulls were 5+ mobs and my AoEs seem to only hit about 3 mobs at once so their was a lot of mobs kinda running around not glued on me. As a tank am i expected to have 100% of the mobs under control at all times or just the main signature elites of the pack? Im almost done with the vex deed while turns it into another AoE i can use, but are there any other skills/deeds i should be working towards to help out on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah Moria, Rohan xpacs and the Expansion Triple Pack (Moria/MirkwoodRohan) were all half-price on the week of black Friday, and again around Christmas for a while.

I was looking at that, yeah... so the Amazon thing is still the better bet than just grabbing the triple pack off Steam if it's on sale? The month of VIP is nice, but it's only 15 bucks, plus wouldn't a 3 month sub for 30 (which gets you 1500 TP off monthlies) be a better deal overall?

• Locked thread