Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Cybershell's still got it!

I hope this means he'll be on your podcast that slowbeef sidekicks you on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part X - Cosmic Cove Galaxy :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Proton Jon)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Cosmic Cove Galaxy theme

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I've always liked free swimming in games, especially Beach Bowl Galaxy from SMG1. I also think that the water and music in the Galaxy games are fantastic. In summary I love water.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I see you were on hiatus for so long to come up with that Face Quest joke.

It was probably worth it.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Oh my goodness the turtle shells have brake lights on them :3:

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Cosmic Cove Galaxy has a doomsday device on the planet for some reason, and Mario just casually ground pounds on it to destroy millions of sea creatures.

e;typo

SaberToothedPie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 14, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SaberToothedPie posted:

Cosmic Cove Galaxy has a doomsday device on the planet for some reason, and Mario just casually ground pounds on it to destroy millions of sear creatures.

Well, to be fair, the water isn't frozen solid. Just the surface. It's more like dozens of dead sea creatures.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
Wait, you can brake with the turtle shell? How?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I loved the ice levels in this game. You should press 'Z' next time you're skating. :slick:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Mario would drink mushroom tea, wouldn't he? I'm sure dave_o could've told you that.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

KevinCow posted:

Wait, you can brake with the turtle shell? How?

The Z button.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mr. Bill posted:

Oh my goodness the turtle shells have brake lights on them :3:
I know, it's adorable as hell :3:

I actually really love the water levels in both Super Mario Galaxy games, a far cry for me from the water levels of the previous games.

The 2D games annoyed me with the CONSTANT FISH and BIG BERTHA THE MOTHERFUCKER.
Super Mario 64 was just...not BAD but a little clunky as expected. But not bad, Nintendo certainly did better work in the underwater department with these games, especially with the automatic-swimming of the turtle shell.

And freezing the entire galaxy is just loving COOL, and I am so happy they still let you walljump up waterfalls again. I forgot they did that in this game too, but somehow it was just that much more awesome with the Ice Flower. Since it was just controlled areas you jumped on while ALL the water around you is still falling. So awesome.

Andorra posted:

I loved the ice levels in this game. You should press 'Z' next time you're skating. :slick:
Wait, what happens if you press Z while skating? Do you like skate backwards or something?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The skating and swimming mechanics were some of my favorite parts of Galaxy 2 as I remember. Really fun stuff.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
The music in Cosmic Cove is so nice :allears:

Actually, now that I think of it most of the water levels in Mario games have chill music.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

:goonsay: Actually Space Quest was a Sierra adventure game. I think you meant Galaxy Quest.

Were you ever planning on showing off the Super Guide feature? I unfortunately never beat the game so I have no idea if the identity of the helper character was "plot" relevant or not.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Seshoho Cian posted:

:goonsay: Actually Space Quest was a Sierra adventure game. I think you meant Galaxy Quest.

Were you ever planning on showing off the Super Guide feature? I unfortunately never beat the game so I have no idea if the identity of the helper character was "plot" relevant or not.

The Super Guide is a shadowy Rosalina. If you accept her help, Luigi does the course for you. I've never used it, but it showed up for me in one the much later levels.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

a spooky ghost posted:

The Z button.

I figured it was probably that. The Z button does all sorts of cool secret little things.

Super secret thing that nobody knows about : When you're in a cannon, hold Z and push the Wiimote towards the screen to zoom in. Betus, you need to show this off in a video.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SineRider posted:

The music in Cosmic Cove is so nice :allears:

Actually, now that I think of it most of the water levels in Mario games have chill music.

This is actually why Sunshine is the best 3d mario :can:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
When water freezes it freezes from the top and doesn't go too far down, otherwise nothing would live in lakes and stuff because they'd all die out on a yearly basis. :science:

That said those penguins are trapped and will drown. Mario is a terrible person.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

sentrygun posted:

When water freezes it freezes from the top and doesn't go too far down, otherwise nothing would live in lakes and stuff because they'd all die out on a yearly basis. :science:

That said those penguins are trapped and will drown. Mario is a terrible person.

Didn't you see the air bubble generators? Drowning is too merciful for Mario's tastes, they'll starve instead.

This level makes me miss the Ice Flower powerup a lot, though. That was the best thing in Galaxy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

sentrygun posted:

There are still those oxygen pipes, so really, they have to worry more about a slow starvation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I've always hated the Super Guide feature. I want to beat the game on my own, and having a character pop up and ask me to admit that this level is too hard for me just feels like the developers mocking me.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

pumpinglemma posted:

I've always hated the Super Guide feature. I want to beat the game on my own, and having a character pop up and ask me to admit that this level is too hard for me just feels like the developers mocking me.

The worst is the poo poo that New Super Mario Bros. Wii pulled where if you even see the Super Guide your profile stars will no longer glimmer:(

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

pumpinglemma posted:

I like it because it lets them make stupid-hard levels without alienating the inexperienced market they worked so hard to draw in with the Wii. Before they came up with the Super Guide it felt like Nintendo was afraid to put any actual challenge into their games, but they've been willing to make things a lot tougher now.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

KevinCow posted:

Super secret thing that nobody knows about : When you're in a cannon, hold Z and push the Wiimote towards the screen to zoom in. Betus, you need to show this off in a video.

I've had Galaxy since '07 and I'm just now finding this? :psyduck:

pumpinglemma posted:

The tendency for it to have an annoying jingle doesn't help (DKC, I'm looking at you).

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
If designers would only let us shut that kind of easy-play or skip feature off from the main menu or an option screen, it'd be a Perfect feature. The players who need/want it would have it and I wouldn't keep getting bugged by a giant green fly with a poo poo eating grin going "Oh, this place is dangerous, do you want to leave and skip it?"

"Shut up, Murfy. Go away, Murfy."

I don't know how many times I grumbled that out loud playing Rayman Origins.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Z button is the button nobody tested. You can cancel pretty much all actions with it, and you can break the game with it. Like, if you mash Z when you have fireballs, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DG0TCgwGk

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Drakli posted:

If designers would only let us shut that kind of easy-play or skip feature off from the main menu or an option screen, it'd be a Perfect feature. The players who need/want it would have it and I wouldn't keep getting bugged by a giant green fly with a poo poo eating grin going "Oh, this place is dangerous, do you want to leave and skip it?"

"Shut up, Murfy. Go away, Murfy."

I don't know how many times I grumbled that out loud playing Rayman Origins.

What? I never got a message like that when I played Rayman Origins. What system is this for?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Z button is the button nobody tested. You can cancel pretty much all actions with it, and you can break the game with it. Like, if you mash Z when you have fireballs, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DG0TCgwGk

You throw a fireball? :confused: What's the big deal?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can't tell anything is different though?

EDIT: Oh, I guess you're firing them faster?

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 15, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I guess it's preventing the fireball action from going through, but it looks like he's ducking and I assume you can't fire while ducking?

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012
I think the point is it cancels the follow-through animation on the fireball with the crouch, so he can fire them faster.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The ducking is me being bad at timing.

EDIT: edited out spoilered video

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2013

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Based on language that's been used in Diabetus' actual videos by him and his commentators for future things it's probably best to not post things like that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

beep by grandpa posted:

Based on language that's been used in Diabetus' actual videos by him and his commentators for future things it's probably best to not post things like that.

That's a place where Diabeetus has already been.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

I've been surprised at how many developers are letting you skip stuff that's too hard now. In particular, I thought it was really weird that L.A. Noire let you skip the action segments if you weren't good at them. They were easy enough but it didn't bother me that the feature was available since the shooting parts felt so out of place with the rest of the game.

Also, it seems like Nintendo developers go out of their way to mock their players sometimes. My favorite thing about Skyward Sword is that when your health is low, not only does the game do its trademark high-pitched beeping while Link flashes red, this time your assistant Navis at you until you listen to her say that you should replenish your health. I can not think of any good reason why that would have been implemented into the game especially when the beeping alone already does a wonderful job getting that message across.

EDIT: Now that I've actually watched the newest video, there is one thing I want to point out about it. The waggling controls in DKCR were unnecessary, but a lot less annoying if you played with a nunchuk.

Enormatron fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 15, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To people who wonder why Skyward Sword has Fi constantly annoying you, remember:

These are the people who made Navi and thought it was a good idea.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Neruz posted:

To people who wonder why Skyward Sword has Fi constantly annoying you, remember:

These are the people who made Navi and thought it was a good idea.

Fi was so much worse than Navi though. Like, I could mostly ignore Navi, and when I couldn't her text went pretty fast anyway, but Fi's text moves at a glacial pace and she pops up every few seconds basically just to remind me she's there.

The Super Guide thing is kind of annoying in New Super Mario Bros U. These levels aren't really that hard if you just want to play through normally, but getting all the star coins results in many a death, and then I get that drat green box popping up every time I start the level. It's not the level I'm having problems with, it's the star coins!!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MissileWaster posted:

Fi was so much worse than Navi though.

Exactly. Fi is what you get when you take Navi and improve her...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

RentCavalier posted:

What? I never got a message like that when I played Rayman Origins. What system is this for?

Hmm, I played the 360 version. Maybe that's the difference. Or maybe I'm just an obsessive compulsive perfectionist who killed Rayman (actually Goth Teensy, I like him for some reason,) every time I failed to gather enough doodads to be happy with my performance.

Collectables+no lives limit=a tough time for perfectionist players.

• Locked thread