Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Jacked up the front of my XJ to play with the u joints. The passenger side, where I hear clicking and popping when turning left, looks good visually (rubber dust covers look good, caps aren't bulging out) but makes some nice binding and popping sounds when it turns. It's also doesn't turn as freely as the driver side u joint, so I think it's definitely time to replace it. Neither u joint has any play or slop in them though, just the passenger one that seems to have a bad bearing or two.

One odd thing I noticed is one of my lug nuts on the passenger side spun off right in my hand and the rest came free way too easily. I just rotated my tires about a month ago and am meticulous about torquing down the lugs to 100 ft./lbs, so it seems odd to be so loose already. I'm guessing vibration from the u joint probably loosened the nuts? After torquing the nuts back the car drives a bit better and I don't hear noises from the passenger u joint, but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before it loosens up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
Double-Jeep

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8af_1357497374

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That video drat near made me cross-eyed.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

oIIIIIIIIIIIIIIo

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I gave up on having tires shipped to me and having my fiance's uncle install, because after shipping and fondling, it would have cost more than buying some and having them mounted.

Ended up buying some BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains. After driving in a snow/wind storm a few weeks ago, I can happily report that their loving weird appearance doesn't seem to hurt snow traction any. I was even able to get up the slick road to my apartment complex without the smallest hint of trouble, whereas all my neighbors had to park at the church at the bottom of the road. Felt pretty neat.

I start work at a new site in a few weeks and it's night shift, which I'm not really looking forward to, so I'm thinking about taking some of the time I have now to change fluids all around before any serious weather hits.

Any recommendations on engine oil and filters for a 2002 WJ Limited? No clue what's been used previously, but I've had good experience with synthetic in my old XJ and want this one to last as long. I was thinking about doing front and rear diffs, as my rear diff already groans due to hopefully, no friction modifier, and the t-case and transmission. Are these a "leave better enough alone" for now and wait until spring? Aside from putting some friction modifier in, that groan is trashy sounding.

In other great news, my exhaust manifold is either cracked or loose, and it randomly started backfiring up front when I lay off the throttle. Since there don't appear to be any performance options, if I have to get a whole new manifold, should I buy OEM replacement or search a junkyard?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I would do a fluid change.

How does your exhaust manifold cause backfiring? (I'd do the junkyard, personally)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

gileadexile posted:

In other great news, my exhaust manifold is either cracked or loose, and it randomly started backfiring up front when I lay off the throttle. Since there don't appear to be any performance options, if I have to get a whole new manifold, should I buy OEM replacement or search a junkyard?

If the exhaust manifold from a 2002 Wrangler would work I can send you a set for the price of shipping - I have 2 spares.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

How do you turn in that thing?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ExplodingSims posted:

How do you turn in that thing?

Pay someone to pave a new road for you.

longway_fromhome
Nov 19, 2004
After reading through this thread I decided to get myself a Jeep so I could explore the Arizona scenery a little more. Thought I would share a few photos.

First day of heading out and exploring the Superstition Mountain area.

001 by farfromhome2012, on Flickr

002 by farfromhome2012, on Flickr

3 weeks later I put some new tires and wheels on. Also in the picture is radiator fluid leaking from my new vehicle. In one my adventures I managed to bend my steering differential, knock my radiator overflow container off, cut a hose which in turn led to seizing up my cylinders and blowing a head gasket. My Jeep was in the shop when I made my first payment on it.

003 by farfromhome2012, on Flickr

Fortunately it was all covered under warranty except for the steering differential and I am back on the trails again. My learning experience from this whole situation would be keeping rock height and ground clearance in mind. My main issue is the over flow container design and the fact that it can pop right out of place. I noticed when I got it back they placed some sort of rubberized glue where the container slides into its slots.

004 by farfromhome2012, on Flickr

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

longway_fromhome posted:

After reading through this thread I decided to get myself a Jeep so I could explore the Arizona scenery a little more.

AI should get a commission for this. Nice pics! Also great seeing a brand new Jeep getting used off road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed.

Much like Land Rovers, it's not a real Jeep unless it's leaking something.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
So, what is the difficulty of changing a pinion seal on a D30 (front axle), 2000 Wrangler? I've got to stop putting it off and making life all that more dangerous for motorcyclists :v:. Doing this will also tell me if I actually want to put the effort into doing a SYE/slightly taller short arm kit/rhinoline/etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well, do you want to do it proper or proper ghetto?

Proper: you're going to need a torque wrench and an inch-pound torque wrench with a dial on it (not the clicky type) to measure pinion bearing preload before and after. You'll also want a new pinion nut ($3 or so online, check ECGS or randys ring and pinion) and a new crush sleeve (same vendors) and some RTV, a foot-pound clicky torque wrench, and you'll have to take the axleshafts out.
- jack up front end
- remove both axleshafts and hub assemblies (13mm 12 point socket is the only special tool I can think of for this)
- drain diff, remove diff cover, remove carrier, keep carrier bearing caps oriented correctly - you may want to mark them if they aren't stamped with letters to show which end goes up and which side is which. Also keep the bearing races on the proper sides
- drop front driveshaft off of differential. You can leave it attached to the tcase, just use masking tape to keep the ujoint caps on the ujoint.
- use dial torque wrench to measure existing pinion bearing preload by spinning the pinion nut with it.
- remove pinion nut, yoke, old seal. Clean pinion threads thoroughly.
- install new seal, reinstall yoke, install new pinion nut. Tighten a bit at a time until pinion bearing preload is the same as it was before. If you can't get it tight enough, you will need to use the new crush sleeve you got and remove the yoke+seal again, remove the outer pinion bearing, install the new crush sleeve, pinion bearing, another new seal, the yoke, the new pinion nut (should be fine) then retorque again till you reach the same preload on the dial torque wrench.
- reinstall carrier, torque carrier bearing cap bolts to spec (I believe it's 30, 40, 50, or 60 foot pounds, not sure though, double check this), reinstall axle shafts and hubs, reinstall brakes, reinstall wheels, put cover back on diff, refill diff

Proper ghetto: (this is the method I've always used, but who knows how long the pinion bearings will last if you do it this way)
- drop driveshaft, masking tape ujoint caps
- put a big fat line of paint across the threads and pinion nut so you can tell how far on it was.
- remove pinion nut. Count turns as you remove it.
- remove yoke, remove old seal.
- install new seal
- install yoke, spin pinion nut back on the same number of turns as it came off, then retorque until the paint marks line up the way they did before.
- reinstall driveshaft

I know people who zap the pinion nut back on with an impact gun and never even put a paint mark on it and don't have any trouble, but that's way too ghetto for me. It's up to you.

What gear ratio do you have? IIRC you can swap a 9?-99 XJ high pinion dana 30 into a TJ with minimal changes anyways, and get a somewhat better driveshaft angle and clearance as well as gearset strength, but that should be verified before planning to do it anyways. At least around here, I can pick up a high pinion XJ d30 for $130 at the junkyard any day I want it, as long as I am looking for 3.55 gearing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Holy gently caress. There is no way I'm disassembling the entire loving front axle. I can't do the other ghetto thing and swap on an XJ axle because I have 3.07 gears.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you can find a manual 6 cylinder XJ it'll almost certainly have 3.07s, so you still could. That's not really ghetto, more of an upgrade, since you go from low pinion to high pinion. Internet nerds will argue the ring gear strength difference all day long but the driveshaft ground clearance and ujoint angle improvements can't be argued at all.

Doing the ghetto method is PROBABLY what I would do, but then again I do ghetto things to my vehicles as a matter of course.

Even tearing the whole frontend apart isn't honestly that bad, with practice you can have one apart in under an hour with hand tools in the middle of the woods, and back together in another hour. With no practice, budget 2-3 hours to pull it apart and an hour to reassemble. It's the tools (specifically, the inch-pound dial torque wrench) that are expensive to do it 100% properly, the cheapest I can find one is $200. Still probably cheaper than paying a shop, but not easy to stomach if you won't be using it frequently.

Here's a writeup on putting an XJ high pinion D30 into a TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/high-pinion-dana-30-swap-very-long-pictures-505610/

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 9, 2013

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

"Should have bought a rubicon"

Anyways, most of my lift parts are here, besides the control arms and shims. However RC sent me YJ rear brake lines instead of XJ ones, can anyone tell me what the difference is and if these can be made to work or not?

Manual 4.0 XJs should still have 3.55s, manual 4 banger XJs have 4.10s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, the only manual XJs that got 3.55s were manual 4 cylinder 4 speed (AX4) in the 80s.

Gears:
4.56s - rare. 4cyl automatics late 80s, reportedly some 4cyl 5 speed manuals early 80s. I've seen one, a friend has seen two. We've been scrounging in junkyards for literally a dozen years between the two of us.
4.10s - 4cyl 5 speed
3.73s - some tow packages, not common
3.55s - 4.0L auto, 4cyl 4 speed in the 80s, possibly some V6s but unsure
3.07s - 4.0L manual

I believe YJ rear brake lines are slightly longer than XJ ones, so that may be intentional, but the flares and mounting should be the same, 3/8-24 invert double flare on both ends with a 2 port distribution block at the axle end. Just make sure the mounting hole through the distribution block is large enough for the XJ axle vent fitting to go into before starting.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 28, 2018

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for the offer, but my Jeep has the 4.7, which I should have mentioned.

I have a few mods and small fixes I'm looking forward to doing this spring/tax return season.

My Grand Cherokee is mostly a daily driver, I'm not opposed to going off roading on fire roads and lumber trails, but I'm not a huge rock climber or mudder.

In that vein, my suspension has over 100k on it. While I'm not averse to a lift, I'm against anything radical, as I have no interest in changing drive shaft angles and the like. What are my options? I'd like to change the sway bars at the same time, along with the steering stabilizer.

My Jeep didn't come with Up Country, but I'm feeling a bit of washout when cornering on backroads and sometimes the suspension compression feels uneven. Any advice on brands? Handling improvement is key, as I really don't think it should feel this sloppy on secondary paved roads.

I also need to replace my tire sensors. One is definitely bad, while the rear passenger sometimes gets a reading and other times shows gently caress all. Is it better to buy brand new or junkyard? And will aftermarket brands work, or is this a dealer only thing?

I'd also like to get brighter reverse lights. I find myself rolling the window down more often than not, and as far as I know it has stock tint. Was thinking Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, is this over the top?

One more quick question, the WJ doesn't seem willing to roll at highway speed as willingly as my old XJ or even my dads Sierra. I understand all vehicles are different, but shouldn't my Jeep hold it's speed downhill on a reasonable grade? I have no shifting issues, the only related issue I've come across would be the grinding in the rear end which I hope to remedy with friction modifier.

Anyway, all advice appreciated.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just put on a Smittybilt XRC Comp 8k winch with synthetic line last night!

Should be going out in a few weeks and maybe test it out.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BoostCreep posted:

So after debating, and the fact that I got this car for a very good deal, I went with the Trailhawk.

goddamn I love this car, except for the chrome borders around windows. I hate chrome window borders.

Would still drive though.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

goddamn I love this car, except for the chrome borders around windows. I hate chrome window borders.

Would still drive though.

There's always plasti-dip!

What I really like about the Trailhawk is that it replaces the tacky chrome strip down the side of the doors with just a gray "Grand Cherokee" logo.

Speaking of my Grand Cherokee, I got a red "battery warning light" on my dash last night on the way home from work. This morning the car was totally dead. After an infuriating 45 minutes being passed around between two dealerships, Chrysler road-side assistance, and multiple people from both sales and services departments, I got a jump from a tow truck driver and drove it to the dealer where I bought it. They immediately took the car in for service with no appointment and set me up with a free rental car which was nice. The other dealer didn't have an opening until Monday and refused a loaner. (Glendale Chrysler, I'm looking at you!)

Turns out the battery for this generation GC is under the passenger seat, with cables connecting it to the engine bay. One of the cables was not tightened at the factory which caused the charging system to fail randomly. I got a call about 4 hours after I dropped it off and will be picking it up tomorrow morning. So there's a +1 (or -1 depending on how you look at it) for Jeep's JD Power Initial Quality rating.

Other than that, I'm loving this Jeep. Great power, roomy, full of gizmos and tech that I'll never understand, and the air suspension is fun as hell to play with. The only downside so far is 11.8 mpg city and around 19 mpg highway observed while driving like a grandmother. My '06 GC without the ECO mode got better mileage than that (barely).
I bought this and immediately took it on a 400 mile trip to Big Bear, CA in 10 degree weather to go snowboarding for a couple days and it did great. QD II handled as expected in the snow and ice, which was perfect. Overall I'm really happy with it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Now get that thing on a trail and bounce it off some rocks. :haw:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
So what are the better forums to read up on the XJ? I'm mostly looking at maintenance work and long term a 3" lift for some very lift offroad use. Ideally I would like to use my Cherokee to do primitive camping out of.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's an active community on jeepforum.com...I stick to the Wrangler and local sections though.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
NAXJA.org and cherokeeforum.com are the only ones I frequent, NAXJA being the more technical of the two. CF is more casual. JF has a good subforum for XJ's because of guys like Erik, who wrote this book.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Maybe I will give JF some more time then. I've been unimpressed in the Cherokee sub forum, but I guess I'm just used to the content here moving so fast from time to time. I haven't looked at cherokeeforum and just made an account on naxja.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
There's some good info there, it just gets lost in all of the budget builds because XJ's are cheap and so many teenagers and young adults drive them. Plus it's JF, which was predominantly TJ heavy when it launched, and now it's all about the JK's. The full size and CJ subforums are like ghost towns in comparison.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, at least it isn't cherokeeforum... or cherokeetalk.

I've seen some horrifically scary, like nightmare scary, bad tech from CF/CT. And I know one of the mods on cherokeeforum.

(full disclosure: I'm one of the mods on the OEM tech forum on NAXJA, so I might be biased)

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll probably read through some more build threads on JF that aren't the budget builds and go through the NAXJA technical forums.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
gently caress JF...too many redneck baby-boomers who would rather show off their guns/hunting/fishing/garden/dogs/brewing/church/kids' sports instead of their Jeeps.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Wrangler forum is ok. :) The vast majority of my local forum is XJ/WJ, so I assumed the general forum was equally popular.

In the local forum I'm the only JK, there's like 2 TJs and 2 YJs, the other dozen or two are various flavors of Cherokees. And one Comanche.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bucephalus posted:

gently caress JF...too many redneck baby-boomers who would rather show off their guns/hunting/fishing/garden/dogs/brewing/church/kids' sports instead of their Jeeps.

If you're venturing outside of the tech forums, you're doing it wrong.

And if those things are in the tech forums, report them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's people in the build threads trying to keep their poo poo on the front page by blogging their lives.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee was announced and it's really nice looking: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-gets-surprisingly-comprehensive-update/

Check out that interior, perhaps the best I've seen in a Chrysler:

Oh yeah, and it has a diesel engine option in America! A 3 liter V6 diesel that makes ~240hp and ~420 lb/ft of torque while getting 21/30 mpg.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

thvwlshvscpd posted:

So what are the better forums to read up on the XJ? I'm mostly looking at maintenance work and long term a 3" lift for some very lift offroad use. Ideally I would like to use my Cherokee to do primitive camping out of.

JFs XJ section is terrible, most notably look for that guy "Motorcharge". I stay on JF but really need to go over to NAXJA soon.

Anyways I finished the rear end of my lift yesterday, the front would have been done but the axle side track bar bolt broke,so I will be doing that today.

I don't know if I like the front end on the new Grand Cherokees or not.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mod sassinator posted:

Oh yeah, and it has a diesel engine option in America! A 3 liter V6 diesel that makes ~240hp and ~420 lb/ft of torque while getting 21/30 mpg.

that's pretty loving cool.

A JEEP... with decent fuel economy? What has this world come to?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

commissargribb posted:

that's pretty loving cool.

A JEEP... with decent fuel economy? What has this world come to?

It was meant to be. Makes me wish the Renault/VM XJ had become more common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only thing I don't like about what I see on that GC is the narrow headlights surrounded by plastic...if they were tall enough to actually fit in that spot, I think that would work a lot better.