Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you enjoy South Park because of the way it uniquely discusses various topics, both extreme and mundane, you might have bizarre opinions on TV comedies.

Edit: Whatever happened to appreciating good jokes delivered well. I consider Always Sunny a great comedy because the actors are all excellent at delivering a punchline, and the punchlines are almost always stellar.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Every time somebody tells me about a joke from Always Sunny, or describes a scene in all its hilarious glory, I can't help up roll my eyes.

That show is terrible. I don't think I've ever laughed while watching it. I've tried it multiple times and just can't find the appeal. Oh well!

Edit: de-harshened the tone of my post.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 14, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Oh, as long as we're doing this, Seinfeld isn't funny at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

maxnmona posted:

Oh, as long as we're doing this, Seinfeld isn't funny at all.

I think it was funny but it's aged really badly.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

kuddles posted:

There are tons of titles I have been dying to see that I only discover from pure luck and are never, ever recommended to me or show up on any of the lists. I can only imagine that part of my problem is I never bother rating anything unless it's something I never heard of that I watch and find a pleasant surprise, so Netflix probably thinks I only like obscure direct-to-DVD material.

This annoys me too. Netflix keeps recommending the same things, sometimes stuff I've recently watched already. Like I blasted through Scrubs within the last year and it's back in my top 10 recommended already. I lucked out and found The Warriors by complete chance last night, that was pretty awesome. What's stranger is Netflix knew I would like it but I hadn't seen it at all until I explored the depths of whatever genre it was in.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Tupac posted:

Not everyone on Seinfeld was a total narcissistic jerk. Kramer usually seemed like he had good intentions, to me at least.

Wait? Out of all the character on that show you want to single out as probably not being a jerk you pick Kramer? Kramer is constantly getting people involved in his horrible schemes without asking them first, mooching off them and generally butting into situations where he is not wanted. I can't think of a single moment where Kramer does something and thinks about anyone else before he does it.

But in general, yes the characters on Seinfeld are not nearly as bad as Always Sunny, but no one is saying otherwise. Like I said, it is Seinfeld taken to an extreme. The thing they have in common that I really like is they never outright tell you these characters are assholes (well, Seinfeld at least waited until the last episode to do this). In both the shows are basically from the perspective of the groups so you really have to base it on the characters actions rather than the tone of the show.

It's Always Sunny really not a show that everyone is going to like. The characters are mean, irritating and narcissistic. It's from their perspective so everyone they encounter comes off badly as well because they don't respect anybody. It's really not the easiest comedy do sit through and it's so mean that it can turn alot of people off to it. I like it but sometimes I have alot of trouble getting through an episode. the thing that makes it all work for me is how completely convinced the characters are that they're right. There is almost never a moment of self reflection or doubt. When that does come up it's usually them doubting one awful idea in favor of an even worse one. It's a show where the character are confidentially walking towards their own destruction and the destruction of everyone around them.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

axleblaze posted:

Wait? Out of all the character on that show you want to single out as probably not being a jerk you pick Kramer? Kramer is constantly getting people involved in his horrible schemes without asking them first, mooching off them and generally butting into situations where he is not wanted. I can't think of a single moment where Kramer does something and thinks about anyone else before he does it.

What about when he gave Jerry his blood, and his tortured self-loathing about.... the kavorka.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Every time somebody tells me about a joke from Always Sunny, or describes a scene in all its hilarious glory, I can't help up roll my eyes.

That show is terrible. I don't think I've ever laughed while watching it. I've tried it multiple times and just can't find the appeal. Oh well!

Edit: de-harshened the tone of my post.

I love Always Sunny but I don't think it's a show that translates very well when you are trying to explain WHY you find it so funny. There isn't any joke in it that, when you explain it to someone, will be met with much other than a blank stare.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

computer parts posted:

I think it was funny but it's aged really badly.
I tried rewatching Seinfeld recently and couldn't get into it again. Meanwhile, my mother has been catching it on syndication and has been telling me that now she understands why I liked it so much at the time and finds it hilarious.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Watched The Hunter, Butter, and Beyond The Black Rainbow yesterday.

The Hunter is the one I enjoyed the most. Great story, great acting, and the ultimate scene was so well done.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

penismightier posted:

What about when he gave Jerry his blood, and his tortured self-loathing about.... the kavorka.

Or helping Jerry get stolen cable. Or helping George with the frogger machine.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Doctor Tupac posted:

Or helping Jerry get stolen cable. Or helping George with the frogger machine.

Even a lot of the bad stuff he did, like telling that girl to get a nosejob, came from a perspective of trying to help.

Seinfeld owns you herbs. Look to the avatar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seinfeld is in fact awesome but Kramer is a bit of a jerk.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Seinfeld is in fact awesome but Kramer is a bit of a jerk.

I mean, yeah, but by far the least of the four.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Someone many pages earlier mentioned The Queen of Versailles.

Finally got the chance to watch it and it was much better than I thought it would be. I actually felt a little bit sorry for the lady there towards the end.

But only a little bit - schadenfreude uber alles!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the things that's really impressive about Queen of Versailles is that it really humanizes these people while also making it really hard not to be happy that they're going through hard times. Like I really feel bad for the wife (the moment where she's realizes how stupid she seems because her husband never tells her anything is heartbreaking) but at the same time she literally says she wouldn't have even had this many kids if she thought she wouldn't be able to have nannies.

Also, I think it's always worth repeating that the husband is one of those guys who tries to intimidate his employees into voting for Romney.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

I mean, yeah, but by far the least of the four.

You think? I just rewatched the episode where it turns out that in his youth Kramer turned a guy into a drug addict by telling him to dump gatorade on their elderly coach, who then died. Kramer laughs about the incident, as he bursts into Jerry's party to derail the intervention. That has to be up there with their most reprehensible actions, and the least display of remorse.

I think the "funnier" a show is, the more polarizing it is. I love the first few seasons of Always Sunny, and dearly hate every season of Archer. Once you escape safe comedy, wellll, you're always going to lose people.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I love Always Sunny but I don't think it's a show that translates very well when you are trying to explain WHY you find it so funny. There isn't any joke in it that, when you explain it to someone, will be met with much other than a blank stare.

The characters in It's Always Sunny would love a show like It's Always Sunny.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

If you feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't get something, it's almost certain that you are really missing something.

I feel this way about Modern Family.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

Manky posted:

Once you escape safe comedy, wellll, you're always going to lose people.

But Sunny IS safe comedy, in a way. All the subject matter is extreme and taboo, it doesn't have to be clever because it's 'edgy'. There isn't much to dissect in bringing a child to an AIDs clinic, or trying to give a baby a tan, or Charlie huffing spray paint. We're just supposed to laugh because we know all of that is wrong.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor Tupac posted:

But Sunny IS safe comedy, in a way. All the subject matter is extreme and taboo

I would say that's a contradiction right there. Always Sunny is certainly not an intelligent comedy in the same way that something like Arrested Development is. But you can't compare either to, say, the Big Bang Theory.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Doctor Tupac posted:

But Sunny IS safe comedy, in a way. All the subject matter is extreme and taboo, it doesn't have to be clever because it's 'edgy'. There isn't much to dissect in bringing a child to an AIDs clinic, or trying to give a baby a tan, or Charlie huffing spray paint. We're just supposed to laugh because we know all of that is wrong.

Charlie is usually huffing glue. Elmer's glue :catdrugs:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Manky posted:

I would say that's a contradiction right there. Always Sunny is certainly not an intelligent comedy in the same way that something like Arrested Development is. But you can't compare either to, say, the Big Bang Theory.

I'd need to see the scale of intelligent comedy before I can weigh-in on this.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Doctor Tupac posted:

I would say that television shows don't have to be clever to be funny or enjoyable, but I think that's the point you're making? I don't know. Always Sunny is hilarious but whoever said it is "Extreme Seinfeld" is exactly right. There's not much below the surface in either show. Doesn't make them any less funny or bad in any way.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
When I want a laugh I don't sit down and pick up Gravity's Rainbow. I like low brow stuff, like Reno 911. Maybe my needs for comedy are more simple than I thought, perhaps I just need some characters I actually like.

But then again, there is a cleverness to the interaction of Reno's cast.

I sort of managed to stay on topic with this whole discussion, as Reno 911, South Park, Sunny and AD are all on netflix :downs:

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 14, 2013

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

I'd need to see the scale of intelligent comedy before I can weigh-in on this.

All I know is that Arrested Development gets a perfect 5/5 on the Richter scale.

BiggusDickus
Apr 18, 2008

Manky posted:

All I know is that Arrested Development gets a perfect 5/5 on the Richter scale.

Chareth, Donny, Emmitt, Rocky or Andy?

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
I think Always Sunny is great, been watching the whole thing over the last few weeks. I can only handle a few episodes every night, if only because the Characters are so loud. I disagree with the idea that nobody is likeable. Charlie is a horrible human being, no doubt about that, but he does everything with such a sincerity that I can't help but love the character. I think Charlie is one of the funniest characters on tv right now. Frank is great too, his dedication to being the worst human being ever until he dies is inspiring. The whole cast has a great chemistry and that translates to the screen so well.

Anyways, I heard that Fringe is coming to netflix soon. Does anybody happen to know when that might happen? Coming Soon hasn't listed it yet. I was also hoping that the 3rd season of Archer would be added before the 4th season started, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Too bad.

Unled
May 24, 2001

Always Sunny is more of a tragic comedy in my opinion.
The characters are almost always worse off by the end of the episode and their lovely self absorbed and deluded personalities are a cartoon exaggeration of the kind of traits reality show personalities are glamorized for.
I don't blame anyone for not finding it funny, but I think it's hilarious and takes it's characters to lows that no show ever has before. Probably my favorite comedy right behind Arrested Development.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Netflix is getting Cartoon Network stuff! :woop:

That means it's getting stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Children's Hospital and they even mentioned getting stuff like Johnny Bravo.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BiggusDickus posted:

Chareth, Donny, Emmitt, Rocky or Andy?

:cheers:

axleblaze posted:

That means it's getting stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Children's Hospital and they even mentioned getting stuff like Johnny Bravo.

That's amazing. Adventure Time is the best written "kids" show I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

axleblaze posted:

I just need Dexter's Laboratory and life will at last be complete.

Powerpuff Girls wouldn't hurt either.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
Hopefully Venture Brothers is included, I didn't see it specifically mentioned. I stopped following it after season 3, for no good reason other than waiting 2 years for a freakin new season gets annoying. I love that show.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

axleblaze posted:

This is fantastic news. Adventure Time is one of the all time great cartoons, and I can't wait to introduce it to my nephew. Finally being able to watch Children's Hospital sounds pretty great too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
For those missing Adventure Time you can get a small dose of the same kind of show in Bravest Warriors the second American animated series created by Pendleton Ward, written and directed by Breehn Burns, and produced by Frederator Studios for their Cartoon Hangover YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DcNkn8HAwSPwGn9h2GGM4Z0t6B0ySVD

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

axleblaze posted:

Between Adventure Time, Johnny Bravo, and the promise of Adult Swim stuff, I'm wicked excited for this.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

Between Adventure Time, Johnny Bravo, and the promise of Adult Swim stuff, I'm wicked excited for this.

I can't wait for Frisky Dingo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Volume posted:

I can't wait for Frisky Dingo.

I can't wait for Xavier: Renegade Angel

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hoping this includes the older stuff from Adult Swim, would love to have The Brak Show, SG:C2C, Sealab 2021 on Instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
TGTtM all the way.

• Locked thread